CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several people interviewed who are connected to this property but she wouldn't confirm Ion

Utterly tragic and if this warehouse was in that bad a shape why was it not imploded when no one was living in it.

So sad. :(

youcare.com - search for Oakland fire or 31st avenue Oakland fire. Uh oh that's the wrong link - that account is suspended. I think she meant

https://www.youcaring.com/firevictimsofoaklandfiredec232016-706684

BTW, also has multiple fundraisers going. Some are for individuals and there's one for the residents of the warehouse. Anyone planning to donate should check to be sure their $$ is going to their desired cause. I believe the link above is the "official" one. Currently at 292k+.

Initial list of missing was 220...some duplicate names.
List is now at under 50

Such a sad useless situation. Prayers for all affected, especially, our own members.

Back in the dotcom days when housing first started going up, it was reported that people were parking their RVs at the long-term parking lot at San Jose Airport and living out of them, going to work each morning. I met people living in tents at one of the local parks. Even met one guy who was living at a backpack camping site at a state park. He would hike in and out about 3-4 miles every day and then go to work. He would change his clothes in his car. He said he didn't know what he was going to do when winter came. SF Chronicle has reported several times that SF can't get substitute teachers because they can't afford to live there, or anywhere nearby.

Here's an excellent video, Million Dollar Shack, about housing costs in the Bay Area from last year.
[video=youtube;SBjXUBMkkE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjXUBMkkE8[/video]

My mom and stepdad bought their house in Los Altos in early 60's for 35K. They sold it 'as is' in the early 90's for 1.5 mill.

We were in the heart of the Silicon Valley. I went to high school [ Homestead HS in Cupertino] with Steve Jobs and Woz. Wozniak was our tech aide at school and he walked around fixing our AV equipment during class. lol

Utterly tragic and if this warehouse was in that bad a shape why was it not imploded when no one was living in it.

So sad. :(

My husband, who has been a building inspector for 30+ years or so, said something along these lines. He said that if this building was in our downtown area and the inspectors weren't allowed in/couldn't get in to do their job, the city would have condemned the building and ordered everyone out within X amount of time. Say, 24 hours. He was furious, the more he read and the pics I showed him.
So sad that didn't happen here.

ABC nightly news......Pittsburgh WPXI news
all about the fire

Sorry the short interview with husband and wife.......they are feeling bad about themselves.......NUTS!

Joining the thread - first off my condolences to everyone.

Having some experience in CA tenant law, I can say that the judicial system in CA HEAVILY leans towards residents - even in unlawful residences. Judges are very hesitant to evict anyone. Even if the local county tried to take the owner to court to have them evict these individuals, it's not a simple or quick process. It would likely take upwards of 6 months to get a court date, then you are dealing with having the authorities actually gain access to do the eviction, then the owner is responsible to ensure people don't move right back in...

While the city holds blame here, it's the overall process that is at fault. The owner and the residents here knew it was unlikely the law would be after them because that's not how things tend to work in CA.
BBM

Thanks for confirming with expertise what I conveyed earlier as someone with no experience...but I've observed in other situations that renters rights create a daunting situation for public officials when the renters are scofflaws. Even if the eviction process had been initiated by the city, the fire could have occurred in the time it would take to work through the lengthy process to get everyone out. I still lay most of the blame on Derick Ion (and his wife), next the owner and last the city. How it will play out remains to be seen.

Seriously, this press conference has become very political now. Anyone else feeling that?

I think the respective departments are doing a great job (to this point in the conference) of being as transparent as they possibly can.

Might be one of the few press conferences where I've heard "Sorry, we can't answer that right now" on only one or two instances.

They have been utterly astounding

What is the silver haired lady name. I want to email her - she has been amazing. Choreographing a zoo, truly wanting the world to understand this horror.

Astounding IMO

I'm still stuck on the one toilet being shared by 20 people - having a hard time getting past that. It must have been akin to using a service station restroom.

I wonder where the tenants showered?

Your not alone. The guy that was in bathroom , smoke started, and he was like I had a hard time getting up here without an inferno now what

What is the silver haired lady name. I want to email her - she has been amazing. Choreographing a zoo, truly wanting the world to understand this horror.

Astounding IMO

Her name is Johnna Watson, Lead PR officer for OPD

Astounding IMO

Yes she really is. Media Relations Officer Johnna Watson. Phone: (510) 238-7230
Fax: (510) 238-6947 Media Questions: opdmedia@oaklandnet.com

This guy is a total a$$!

He is a sociopath peroid. This AM on this video when asked what he wants to say, he took it back to him, they were MY friends I lost MY friends what do you think I am feeling

me me me

no capacity to think about anyone but HIM

he is IMO mentally disturbed but its a personality disorder would love to know HIS upbringing

disturbed -- that is why earlier today I expressed fear for the two ladies that gave their names (Booudrex) for fear of their lives

he is very dangerous

imo

This is happening in other locations as well. Naples, Fla. for one. They have a hard time finding people to work in the businesses there. I've been going there since I was a child and the locals who have lived there all of their lives are having a hard time affording to live there now. To just casually say, well they should just move, is fairly uncaring and easier said than done. When they do move, it does not help the businesses there in Naples b/c the labor moved over an hour away. I've known folks all my life who could not afford to rent/buy even in my rural, fairly low cost of living, area. They live in rentals that are not what I'd deem safe, but were a roof over their heads. To come up with first, last, and deposit is easier said than done many times. Call them slum lords if you will, and yes, they probably are, but, if there wasn't a customer base, or need for cheap housing, slum lords wouldn't exist.

every slum lord I know and it is quite a few sucks on poor people. All are very well to do,. No pity for the slum lord.

Small town Minnesota and Wisconsin have super low housing prices. Not sure about jobs . I am shocked at the low price of housing in Pittsburg which has darling homes for little money.

Yes, moving is incredibly expensive.All of the deposits required.

Hawaii is offerring a huge bonus to have teachers come there, but it does not matter.

But living in hell if there is any other choice is not living

He is a sociopath peroid. This AM on this video when asked what he wants to say, he took it back to him, they were MY friends I lost MY friends what do you think I am feeling

me me me

no capacity to think about anyone but HIM

he is IMO mentally disturbed but its a personality disorder would love to know HIS upbringing

disturbed -- that is why earlier today I expressed fear for the two ladies that gave their names (Booudrex) for fear of their lives

he is very dangerous

imo

Oh but they were his Children!! Load of bullocks! Notice they are staying in a fancy hotel now...I bet they stayed in hotels quite often while his 'Children' paid to live in squalor. I am so darn angry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa