Burke Files 150 Million Dollar Lawsuit Against Werner Sptiz???

I had to laugh when Woody stuck in that jab about Kolar's book being "commercially unsuccessful." Reminded me of when he called Kolar a "whackjob" on twitter. Someone's bitter!

It's kind of weird they're still leaving the Mary Lacy exoneration in there considering the recent news. It just seems desperate. Do you think they'll bring up Mary Lacy's Butt Print Defense as well? I guess the previous statements about Burke being considered a non-suspect (from Beckner early on and Alex Hunter, which are quoted in Kolar's book) might be of use though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although Burke was aware of the self-publication of Foreign Faction, he did notsue Kolar for libel because (a) the book had no audience and received little or no publicity, (b)the accusations were ridiculous and had been rejected by law enforcement authorities and themainstream media, (c) he did not wish to elevate Kolar or his book to a position of credibilitythey did not deserve, (d) the book was a miserable failure, and (e) its publication did not at thattime cause any significant harm to Burke’s reputation

Miserable failure? :lol:

I think not.

One big LOL for me when LW said one and one equals two, so this means the case cannot be RDI.

i.e. arithmetical logic and real world logic are two different things and of course LW knows this, he is just pressing his case.

Most of his assertions cannot be upheld anymore, particularly those relating to the dna. So CBS might think LW is skating on thin ice, and just go to court to see what he puts on the table?

I laughed too. There's a billboard near me that states "1+1=3" and has the name of a family planning center.

I came straight here when I heard.

I actually don't think Burke did it, but I think he knows the truth.

Thanks Kanzz! I don't follow this like I used to, it's hard to keep up. Hopefully we will see some closure with this case, soon.

Woody didn't drop it; the Court dismissed it:

[FONT=&quot] CONCLUSION The Colorado Supreme Court has noted that “[p]rotecting the important competing interests of free speech and reputation requires a flexible approach anchored in the context of each cause of action.” Burns, supra, 659 P.2d at 1360. This balancing act is especially precarious given the high stakes involved. Compare the obvious primacy the Constitution and the interpreting case law places on free speech with the importance, of indeed Shakespearean proportions, accorded one’s reputation: Good name in man and woman, dear my lord, is the immediate jewel of their souls: Who steals my purse steals trash; ‘tis something, nothing; ‘twas mine, ‘tis his, and has been slave to thousands; but he that filches from me my good name robs me of that which not enriches him, and makes me poor indeed. William Shakespeare, Othello, Act III, scene iii. Factored into this “flexible approach” when considering a motion for summary dismissal is the recognition that the threat 14 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]of protracted litigation in defamation cases could have a chilling effect upon constitutionally protected rights of free speech. See Lockett v. Garrett, 1 P.3d 206, 210 (Colo. 1999). Because of the respect accorded expression in matters of public concern under the First Amendment, in this type of case the existence of a material fact must be established with convincing clarity. Gordon, supra, 99 P.3d at 78. Plaintiffs did not establish any such material fact here. These constitutional protections are not just for broadcast media. Indeed, free speech itself acts as a check on the media. For example, in our current technologicallyadvanced era anyone can get on the internet, become a self-proclaimed journalist or pundit and draw a worldwide audience. Webloggers can in a matter of hours point out key errors in reporting by mainstream media outlets. When people have the means and expertise to generally publish fair and perhaps insightful comments quickly and easily on matters of public concern, such as what a crime scene reveals or does not reveal, law enforcement and the rest of us may benefit. The robust protections guaranteed by the First Amendment thus remain as important and valuable as ever. Plaintiffs may well have filed this case more for vindication than for money, and perhaps vindication is what they deserve. But they have a better chance for meaningful vindication in the court of public opinion through vigorous debate about the background and details of this heinous crime than by suing those whose reporting may arguably include some less than favorable inferences about them. Plaintiffs cannot have the public discourse playing field entirely to themselves. Of course, those who broadcast publicly must accept some responsibilities of basic decency towards others as embodied in our Nation’s defamation laws. 15 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fox News, however, did not shirk those responsibilities here. While the December 2002 broadcast appears to plaintiffs not to have been “fair and balanced” towards them, it was not defamatory. The Court therefore GRANTS Defendant’s Motion to Dismiss Plaintiffs’ Amended Complaint Pursuant to F.R.C.P. 12(b)(6) and DISMISSES this case with prejudice. DATED: January 6 th, 2005. BY THE COURT:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Phillip S. Figa United States District Judge[/FONT]
Even better!

Let's see. He has to be put under oath and he says...I don't remember a thing. I was 9. Just remember playing with some toy when everyone else went to bed. I am not convinced he is guilty of anything except being a bit odd as an adult, but I don't think he has a prayer at getting 750 mil. I wish court tv was still around. Would make the most interesting civil trial. Hopefully CBS will not settle.

Let's see. He has to be put under oath and he says...I don't remember a thing. I was 9. Just remember playing with some toy when everyone else went to bed. I am not convinced he is guilty of anything except being a bit odd as an adult, but I don't think he has a prayer at getting 750 mil. I wish court tv was still around. Would make the most interesting civil trial. Hopefully CBS will not settle.

These days high profile criminal trials are often live streamed from courts that allow cameras.

Civil cases are different in that most of the interesting action takes place during discovery. Most defamation cases in the US are never tried. Many cases are dismissed long before trial (see part of the Court's reasoning for dismissal in the '05 Ramsey v. Fox News case above) and many settle because defendants simply can't afford to pay for attorneys all the way through trial. When insurance companies are involved in paying defense costs (yes, you can be insured for defamation) they call the shots and often decide to settle out for shorter money rather than spend more money defending a case.

These are the reasons Lin Wood has been able to successfully "win" so many cases for the Ramseys.

These days high profile criminal trials are often live streamed from courts that allow cameras.

Civil cases are different in that most of the interesting action takes place during discovery. Most defamation cases in the US are never tried. Many cases are dismissed long before trial (see part of the Court's reasoning for dismissal in the '05 Ramsey v. Fox News case above) and many settle because defendants simply can't afford to pay for attorneys all the way through trial. When insurance companies are involved in paying defense costs (yes, you can be insured for defamation) they call the shots and often decide to settle out for shorter money rather than spend more money defending a case.

These are the reasons Lin Wood has been able to successfully "win" so many cases for the Ramseys.

Yep. I have a feeling, team ramsey does not want this to go to trial. They are hoping for a settlement even before depositions. The large number asked for screams intimidation. They do not want either Ramsey anywhere near a court room. Burke would be a disaster even if he is innocent. He was a complete fool on Dr Phil.

Deposition could be a really uncomfortable experience for the
'anxiety' riddled non communicative BR.

Deposition could be a really uncomfortable experience for the
'anxiety' riddled non communicative BR.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Burke has always had a pretty simple alibi, that he was in bed sleeping and woke up to the confusion and feigned sleep, then left for the White's. Then again, in the DP interview he did drop some bombshells that even LW doesn't seem to be aware of, like sneaking downstairs after everybody had gone to bed. But really, what can you ask him? And how accurate would his memory be anyway? He was 9, he's almost 30 now. Can you remember the exact details of any given night when you were 9?

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Burke has always had a pretty simple alibi, that he was in bed sleeping and woke up to the confusion and feigned sleep, then left for the White's. Then again, in the DP interview he did drop some bombshells that even LW doesn't seem to be aware of, like sneaking downstairs after everybody had gone to bed. But really, what can you ask him? And how accurate would his memory be anyway? He was 9, he's almost 30 now. Can you remember the exact details of any given night when you were 9?
I can remember certain events and the day it happened when I was 9 because I experienced new things....we moved, I went to a new school, I met two of my best friends ...it was 1965 a very memorable year. IMO, people can remember things better if it affects their emotions; i.e. an emotionally charged event. So Burke should remember clearly the events of that night unless he was indifferent (non emotional) about the whole thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Mr. Ramsey - what do you remember about your sister? Did you get along well? Ever argue? Have physical fights? Please describe them for us. Did she ever take your toys? Break anything of yours? Do you recall an incident with a golf club some time before the murder? Please explain what you remember. Your father is on record saying he but you to bed on Christmas night, but on the Dr. Phil show you indicated you remember being downstairs after everyone else had gone to bed. Do you recall why you did this? By "downstairs" what exactly did you mean? The basement or the main level of the house? Do you call how long you were down there and what you were doing? No? Okay so you specifically remember being downstairs after everyone had gone to bed but nothing else? Did you eat anything while you were downstairs? Were you joined by anyone while you were downstairs? Did you enjoy pineapple and milk? No? Did JonBenet? Have you ever seen this photo before? Would you please listen to this 911 tape and give us your thoughts as to whose voices you hear? Could you have been in the room when the call was made? You have stated you pretended to be asleep that morning. Why did you do that? Were you instructed by anyone to do this? Tell me about your school days, ever get into any fights....

He'll be bombarded with everything. But I'm more interested in John Ramsey's deposition.....

Sure can! I can tell you what my sister wore on my first day of 1st grade (blue miter-striped shirt), what I was drinking when my brother died when I was five (orange punch from a little plastic barrel-shaped bottle and a foil lid), the stationary I got for my first going-away present (owls), in fact I could literally right this second perform a dance routine I learned in third grade. Not sure the point, though...I have an oddly good memory of my childhood. Some people do, some people don't. I can recite the poem I wrote about the Snake River when I was 8. I can't tell you what I wrote my graduate thesis about, though, and that was less than 10 years ago. *shrug*

However
Burke remembered enough to discuss that night on dr. Phil recently. Are we to believe he's now forgotten the information he knew as of the taping of the show? I suppose if he really couldn't remember a single solitary detail of that night then he couldn't really claim defamation very convincingly, could he? Because he wouldn't know if what was said was correct or not! I suspect he remembers a lot, knows a lot, and could offer many interesting details, killer or not.

eta: sorry I missed quoting the post I was quoting. It was andreww upthread asking if we can remember details from youth. I can. Obviously :) It irritates and entertains my siblings to no end.

Mr. Ramsey - what do you remember about your sister? Did you get along well? Ever argue? Have physical fights? Please describe them for us. Did she ever take your toys? Break anything of yours? Do you recall an incident with a golf club some time before the murder? Please explain what you remember. Your father is on record saying he but you to bed on Christmas night, but on the Dr. Phil show you indicated you remember being downstairs after everyone else had gone to bed. Do you recall why you did this? By "downstairs" what exactly did you mean? The basement or the main level of the house? Do you call how long you were down there and what you were doing? No? Okay so you specifically remember being downstairs after everyone had gone to bed but nothing else? Did you eat anything while you were downstairs? Were you joined by anyone while you were downstairs? Did you enjoy pineapple and milk? No? Did JonBenet? Have you ever seen this photo before? Would you please listen to this 911 tape and give us your thoughts as to whose voices you hear? Could you have been in the room when the call was made? You have stated you pretended to be asleep that morning. Why did you do that? Were you instructed by anyone to do this? Tell me about your school days, ever get into any fights....

He'll be bombarded with everything. But I'm more interested in John Ramsey's deposition.....

I could answer all those questions. He certainly isn't going to admit any kind of conflict, he'll say he didn't recall eating anything, he'll say he went down and put the toy together then went to bed. His story is simple, no prep required.

I can remember certain events and the day it happened when I was 9 because I experienced new things....we moved, I went to a new school, I met two of my best friends ...it was 1965 a very memorable year. IMO, people can remember things better if it affects their emotions; i.e. an emotionally charged event. So Burke should remember clearly the events of that night unless he was indifferent (non emotional) about the whole thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

We all can, but you can't remember exact details. What colour shirt, boots or shoes, flashlight? Memories remain, details go by the wayside.

We all can, but you can't remember exact details. What colour shirt, boots or shoes, flashlight? Memories remain, details go by the wayside.

I'd have to argue that details from the day your sister was famously murdered heinously in your home are more likely to stick with ya than a random day in the life of a 9-year old. And again, if he remembers enough to know he's not guilty of murder, I'd argue he remembers enough to explain how he knows that. I highly doubt what color shirt he was wearing will be the pinnacle point in this argument. Whether or not he bashed her head with a flashlight is a detail he would remember, imo. And that's the kind of detail that is salient to the case, not what color shirt he was wearing.

Again, if he remembers enough to talk about it on Dr. Phil and file a suit, then he remember well enough to prove or not prove his case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuznFinder
Back