Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that the psychiatrist who met with Garland once a week was completely unable to understand his state of mind, someone deserves a full refund.

That would be Alberta health care.

Agreed, however, how reliable is that information from DG? His mother has told us he had a breakdown at University. He sees a psychiatrist every Monday. How much stock can we put into DG's information?

I don't think we can rely on DG for any information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psychiatric care is covered by health care. Psychologists are not but Psychiatrists are.

Correct - a psychiatrist is a medical doctor with a specialization in addition to the medical degree. A psychologist is not a medical doctor and cannot prescribe medication.

It's unlikely healthcare would pay for this kind of expensive weekly consult. Psychiatrists mainly consult these days, and may see a patient once to diagnose or prescribe, their hourly is astronomical.
It could be the family paid for his care out of pocket.

True. Inpatient care is offered and patients are hospitalized for acute mental problems but ongoing weekly visits does not make sense to me. I suspect he saw a psychiatrist for prescription medication tweaks - periodically. Weekly sessions likely with a psychologist and not a psychiatrist.

My opinion about the weekly psychiatrist visits:
I work in mental health care in another Canadian province. My understanding is that weekly/biweekly visits used to be the norm in psychiatric care, but nowadays the model has changed to the psychiatrists doing much less frequent care or even just consults. However, I've noticed that patients who had been seen weekly for many, many years got to continue to continue their frequent visits.

My speculation: DG has been under psychiatric care for around 30 years, since the "breakdown" in university. An ongoing mental health condition would explain him still living with his parents and never holding down a job. I wonder if the nature of his psychiatric illness will come out in trial?

I found a bunch of info on the 'patents' (including drawings).. there are at least 4 of them.. it seems to me that 3 of them are from earlier years than when DG was participating. The one that could be *the* one, has several documents attached to it which can be downloaded in PDF format.

This is where the (6) documents can be found for download (notice the tabs and go to the far right tab which says 'documents'):
http://www.ic.gc.ca/opic-cipo/cpd/e...PPLICANT)&start=1&num=50&type=advanced_search

This is where info on the various (4) patents can be found (I found these by searching 'liknes'):
http://www.ic.gc.ca/opic-cipo/cpd/e...art=1&num=50&type=advanced_search&newSearch=0

In my opinion, Garland did not 'go over the edge'..........the evidence shows a pattern of a life that has been not normal.

Yep. Drug lab, stealing a person's identity, fleeing custody, etc etc.

My opinion about the weekly psychiatrist visits:
I work in mental health care in another Canadian province. My understanding is that weekly/biweekly visits used to be the norm in psychiatric care, but nowadays the model has changed to the psychiatrists doing much less frequent care or even just consults. However, I've noticed that patients who had been seen weekly for many, many years got to continue to continue their frequent visits.

My speculation: DG has been under psychiatric care for around 30 years, since the "breakdown" in university. An ongoing mental health condition would explain him still living with his parents and never holding down a job. I wonder if the nature of his psychiatric illness will come out in trial?

It is possible that in addition to his mental health status, his 'never holding down a job' and still living with his parents may be attributed to the difficulty one might have in obtaining meaningful work in their desired/trained field when they have a criminal record which includes prison time. Additionally, with his parents being now in their mid 80s, and considering the size of their property, I can imagine they were likely happy to have DG take on some of the property chores, which in return, could have saved them from spending the money to pay someone else to do it. Just guessing, but I'll bet DG was on 'disability' (due to mental health issues?), which would have given him at least some money, and his living there may have made sense for all parties, under the circumstances.

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 3m3 minutes ago
Day 3-trial of Douglas #Garland about to begin. He's accused of 3 counts 1st degree murder for deaths of Nathan O'Brien & his grandparents

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 2m2 minutes ago
Everyone in courtroom, ready for Day 3 of Douglas #Garland triple murder trial to get underway. Two police witnesses scheduled for today

DG isn't claiming to be Not Criminally Responsible for the crimes, is he?

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
Const. Trevor Matthes, first officer on scene of Liknes' home, takes witness stand in Douglas Garland triple murder trial. #garland

DG isn't claiming to be Not Criminally Responsible for the crimes, is he?

Apparently not. http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/features/backgrounder-not-criminally-responsible
A person is not found Not Criminally Responsible just because they are suffering from a mental illness at the time of the commission of the crime; it must also be proven they did not have the capacity to appreciate their actions, know right from wrong at the time of the offence, or if they were not in control of their behaviour because of their mental illness. The defence must prove the accused is NCR on the ‘balance of probabilities’ or more likely than not . Only 2 in 1000 cases end up with an NCR verdict. And of those, charges of serious violence only account for 8.1% of NCR cases overall.

Michael PlattVerified account ‏@SUNMichaelPlatt 5m5 minutes ago
First witness at #Garland Day 3 is police Cst. Trevor Matthes. #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 5m5 minutes ago
Constable Trevor Matthes is first up in #garland triple-murder trial. Worked out of District 6 in 2014, covering se and part of sw #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 4m4 minutes ago
Matthew responded to break and enters, assaults, neighbourhood disputes, injury accidents, etc. #garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 4m4 minutes ago
Matthes says on June 30, 2014 he was called to the Liknes home for a check on welfare call. #Garland

Michael PlattVerified account ‏@SUNMichaelPlatt 4m4 minutes ago
Cst. Matthes says he was called to house where Likneses lived around 10:00 am, for a Check on Welfare. #yyc #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 3m3 minutes ago
Matthes said the call he was responding to indicated a woman had gone to pick up her son, no one home, found lots of blood. #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 4m4 minutes ago
Another police officer was speaking with complainant (Jennifer O'Brien) when he arrived. #Garland

Michael PlattVerified account ‏@SUNMichaelPlatt 3m3 minutes ago
Cst. Matthes went inside front door of house, looking for victims needing medical assistance. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 3m3 minutes ago
Matthes said he entered the residence through the front door, once inside he noted a partial bloody footprint. #Garland #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 3m3 minutes ago
A partial bloody footprint was seen just inside; nothing else alarming at that point. #Garland

Michael PlattVerified account ‏@SUNMichaelPlatt 3m3 minutes ago
Cst. Matthes says he noted bloody footprint on floor right away. No signs of forced entry. Large amounts of blood near stairs #Garland #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
Mattthes: Went in through front door of the Liknes home-saw bloody footprint then saw large amounts of blood, blood smears on wall #garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
He says once he entered the bedroom he saw large amounts of blood at head of bed. Bed sheets at foot of bed. #Garland #yyc

Michael PlattVerified account ‏@SUNMichaelPlatt 2m2 minutes ago
Cst. Matthes says upstairs bedroom had a large amount of blood at head of bed. Bedding laying on floor. #Garland #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 2m2 minutes ago
Matthes: bedding was laying on the floor; police looked in closets, anywhere a person could be. #Garland

Who's posting tweets?

EDIT: thanks Kamille!

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 2m2 minutes ago
Matthes calls out for potential victims. Hears nothing #Garland

In master bedroom Matthes said he found lots of blood on right side of bed. Sheets again on the floor. #Garland #yyc

Large amt of blood on right side of bed in master bedroom; "Nothing that I would consider to be forced entry" at windows. #Garland

Matthes confirms he was wearing @CalgaryPolice issued boots that day. #Garland #yyc

Michael PlattVerified account ‏@SUNMichaelPlatt 2m2 minutes ago
Cst. Matthes: A lot of blood in hallway "almost like drag marks". #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 2m2 minutes ago
No sign of forced entry at Liknes' home, says Const. Trevor Matthes. #garland

A lot of blood in hallway: "It appeared to me almost drag marks" leading down the stairs, says Matthes. "A clear sunny day" #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Matthes says once in back hallway near side door he noted a pool of blood "Drag marks through the blood again" #Garland #yyc

Michael PlattVerified account ‏@SUNMichaelPlatt 1m1 minute ago
Cst. Matthes: Back hall to garage and side door had "substantial amount of blood" and more drag marks #Garland #yyc

"Blood continued into about halfway through the basement and then there was no blood after that," said Matthes. #Garland #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 1m1 minute ago
Hallway branching to side door, Matthes noticed "a large pool of blood"; blood continued about 1/2 way into basement then stopped. #Garland

Throughout his search Matthes says he was calling out, looking in closets, looking under beds. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 56s57 seconds ago
Matthes noted a few blood splatters in kitchen as well, but nothing else he considered suspicious. #Garland #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 1m1 minute ago
"A couple of blood splatters" on kitchen wall says Matthes. #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 46s47 seconds ago
As he was searching the east side of the house, noticed more drag marks, continued on sidewalk to garage; pool of blood at garage #Garland

Matthes said he then went outside to search.Blood drag marks north on sidewalk towards the garage and then a pool of blood. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 17s17 seconds ago
Matthes says while searching they were updating @CalgaryPolice as they "cleared" rooms (no victims located) #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 14s15 seconds ago
Matthes said following search they were instructed to close off the scene with standard yellow police tape. #Garland #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 4s5 seconds ago
Truck parked on front driveway; no victims found in there, says Matthes. #Garland

Michael PlattVerified account ‏@SUNMichaelPlatt 21s21 seconds ago
Cst. Matthes: Bloody drag marks continued outside, no victims inside so police sealed off house with yellow police tape. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie now25 seconds ago
Matthes estimates he and his two fellow @CalgaryPolice officers were inside the Liknes home for 6-8 minutes. #Garland #yyc

• Martin
@KMartinCourts
Const. Trevor Matthes found blood "drag marks" outside the Liknes home leading to an area outside the attached garage. #garland
•
Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
Police searched entire Liknes home but found nobody inside, Const. Trevor Matthes says. #garland
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
As he was searching the east side of the house, noticed more drag marks, continued on sidewalk to garage; pool of blood at garage #Garland
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
"A couple of blood splatters" on kitchen wall says Matthes. #Garland
10:23 AM - 18 Jan 2017
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
Hallway branching to side door, Matthes noticed "a large pool of blood"; blood continued about 1/2 way into basement then stopped. #Garland
•
Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
Const. Trevor Matthes found "almost drag marks" through blood on wall leading from hallway in Liknes' residence. #garland
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
A lot of blood in hallway: "It appeared to me almost drag marks" leading down the stairs, says Matthes. "A clear sunny day" #Garland
•
Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
No sign of forced entry at Liknes' home, says Const. Trevor Matthes. #garland
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
Large amt of blood on right side of bed in master bedroom; "Nothing that I would consider to be forced entry" at windows. #Garland

•
Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
Police found large amount of blood on bed in master bedroom of Liknes' residence. #garland
•
Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
Const. Trevor Matthes found large amounts of blood when he entered the home of Kathy and Alvin Liknes. #garland
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
Matthes: bedding was laying on the floor; police looked in closets, anywhere a person could be. #Garland
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
Further inside, large amt of blood was on floors, up the stairs. Called out, no response. Entered 1 bedroom, more blood at head of bed.
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
A partial bloody footprint was seen just inside; nothing else alarming at that point. #Garland
•
Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
Police were called to acheck on welfare" call to Liknes' residence morning of June 30, 2014, says Const. Trevor Matthes. #garland
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
His job was to try and locate any victims, if they were there. #Garland
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
Another police officer was speaking with complainant (Jennifer O'Brien) when he arrived. #Garland
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
Matthes received a call at 10 a.m. on June 30/2014, a "check on welfare call"; info provided by caller, large amounts of blood in home

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 35s35 seconds ago
Two vehicles registered to Alvin Liknes were found in garages on his property. #garland

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 2m2 minutes ago
Matthes said the home, which was now a suspected crime scene - was taped off. Officers brought in to secure the scene. #Garland

Matthes said he and the other 2 officers then went to debrief at the command centre. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 20s20 seconds ago
Matthes said there was a Nissan and BMW in the garages both registered to Alvin Liknes. #Garland #yyc

• Kevin Martin
@KMartinCourts
Police found a tooth in hallway leading to Liknes garage and bloodstained dumbbell in the garage. #garland
10:33 AM - 18 Jan 2017
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
Matthes called Alvin Liknes' cell phone, heard a soft ring. Went into garage, saw a dumbbell with blood on it under a bench
10:32 AM - 18 Jan 2017
•
Valerie Fortney
@ValFortney
After securing the property with yellow police tape, Matthes was debriefed by superiors; went back into house to try and locate cell phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname