Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crown implied it was because of a lack of payment/recognition DG did on a pump AL was inventing. AL patented the pump after the work. (The pump led to no money for anyone.)

Thank you. It helps a lot to better understand why he committed the murders.

I did see the grandparents had the estate sale so the murderer must have felt it was time to act before they moved. Thanks again.

Good post.
It takes a very special kind of lawyer to become a defence lawyer. As hard as it can be to understand how someone can defend people accused of heinous acts, they play an important role. Whether we like it or not, DG has rights, and no one is going to care about upholding his rights except his own lawyer.

I am acquainted with a family whose child was charged with a very serious crime recently. Believe me, they were very glad to have a dependable criminal lawyer to defend their child.

I don't think DG is choosing to have his day in court for any other reason than because it is his right.

I can't, off the top of my head, think of any occasion in recent memory where a defendant pleaded guilty to spare anyone the difficulty of a trial. Can you?

All IMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bradley Rietze
Certainly the exception, not the rule as most lawyers recommend entering a plea of not guilty.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/mother-of-murdered-teen-brittney-mcinnes-heartbroken-1.1130456

IMO the use of the word petty is accurate. Which goes to the state of mind of the killer. Sense of entitlement much? IMO he was in on some work for the proto type. My husband and his Biz partner share in the Patent. Various folk were involved in helping build, test, wire etc. All were paid. Nobody ever expected to be part of the Patent. For anyone other than inventors to even think they have any part of it would be those involved in financial backing. All done thru Lawyers. For a % if the patent even made any $. It took him and partner 3 years to even get patent approval. Many legal hoops. So why this killer would even think he should be entitled speaks volumes.IMO

YES!!! Thank you for putting into words what i've been thinking! Petty is the perfect word. No one in his shoes would get their name on the patent so its ridiculous for him to be angry about this. Then to take it as far as murder. Petty.

We also have no proof besides his father's testimony that he wasn't paid.

Bryan Labby
@CBCBryan
Det. Mike Shute, detective with the CPS homicide unit is now testifying. #Garland
2:51 PM - 20 Jan 2017ReplayRetweetFavorite

Bryan Labby
@CBCBryan
Sgt. Gallen examined approx. 130 pairs of shoes from the Garland farm, most eliminated as evidence. She is now done testifying. #Garland
2:50 PM - 20 Jan 2017ReplayRetweetFavorite

Bryan Labby
@CBCBryan
Sgt. Gallen says the shoes seized from #Garland were eliminated as evidence.

Bryan Labby
@CBCBryan
Det. Shute went through Liknes home on July 2 with the medical examiner, to try to assess what may have happened inside #Garland

Bryan Labby
@CBCBryan
Det. Shute was looking for evidence that the Likneses may have left 'unprepared or against their will' #G

A few details in these tweets (read bottom up)

@ValFortney
Shute assigned to look for Kathy's purse, wallet, other items; Alvin's wallet, things that would show they left against their will. #Garland
2:58 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
On July 2, 2014, Shute attended Liknes home to meet with officer with forensic crimes, forensic medical expert. #Garland 

2:56 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
At times during the investigation police had in excess of 20 investigators on case, Det. Shute says. #Garland 

2:55 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
Operation Amber was the police name for the investigation in the missing of the three. #garland 

2:53 PM - 20 Jan 2017
@KMartinCourts
Det. Shute was involved in operation Amber, the investigation into the disappearance of Alvin and Kathy Liknes and Nathan O'Brien. #Garland 

2:52 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
Det. Mike Shute of the CPS homicide unit is now on the stand. Was part of Operation Amber in July/14 #Garland 

2:52 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
Det. Mike Shute is a member of the Calgary police homicide unit. #Garland 

2:51 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
All of those shoes found at the farm, says Gallen, were eliminated. #Garland 

2:51 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
Gallen evidence done. Next Crown witness, Det. Mike Shute. #Garland 

2:50 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
Sgt. Gallen says 130 pairs of shoes were found at the #Garland farm. Some were very small, children's shoes, everything from 10 to 13, 14

2:49 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
All the shoes found at #Garland farm were eliminated from making footprints found at Liknes home, says Sgt. Gallen.

2:49 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
Gallen says only shoes she compared to footprints believed to be made by killer were purchased at Walmart. #Garland

@KMartinCourts
Sgt. Gallen eliminated shoes seized from #Garland as those which made footprints at Liknes home.

2:46 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
Police tried to get electronic confirmation #Garland bought Delta 2 size 13 from Walmart without success, Sgt. Gallen concedes.

2:45 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
Cross-examination now starting for Sgt. Gallen, defence lawyer Kim Ross. #Garland 

2:41 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
Gallen says no standard police issue shoes correspond to the footwear prints found in the Liknes home. #Garland 

2:39 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
Gallen says footprints in the garage were made by Scholl's Delta model, from size 12 to 13; or another shoe of the same shape/size #Garland 

2:34 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
"It's consistent with somebody standing on the bed or putting their shoe on the bed," Gallen says of possible print on sheet. #Garland 

2:27 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
Sgt. Gallen found what may have been a partial footprint on a bloodied sheet found on a bed in the Liknes home. #Garland 

2:23 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
Sgt. Gallen worked for days in the Liknes home, seized about 10 items from house. #Garland 

2:13 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
Sgt. Gallen notes sharp edges in bloody footprints found in Liknes home match up with same type of shoe as empty box in #Garland home had. 

2:13 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
Police set up surveillance camera in Liknes home in case the perpetrator returned to the scene of the crime. #Garland 

3:03 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
Shute found a purse and wallet he believed to be Kathy's, in the master bedroom. #Garland 

3:03 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
Shute and his partner "went over that residence (Liknes home) from top to bottom." #Garland 

3:02 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
"Something that pointed out strange to me," says Shute, a phone cord hanging from the wall downstairs. Like a modem cord. #Garland 

3:01 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@KMartinCourts
Det. Shute sent to Liknes residence to look for signs anyone left the home unprepared "or against their will." #Garland

@KMartinCourts
Shute met with Garland's sister Patti, after receiving call pickup truck linked to scene "belonged to Doug Garland." #Garland
3:06 PM - 20 Jan 2017

@ValFortney
Shute went to Airdrie park July 4 to meet w/ Patti Garland. This was after family reported the green truck similarity. #Garland
3:06 PM - 20 Jan 2017

I'm baaaaack. Off to get caught up but quickly, what does this mean?

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 24m24 minutes ago
When asked if she knew if #Garland ever wore Delta 2 shoes Gallen says "i've seen a video so I don't know how to answer that." #Garland #yyc

I'm baaaaack. Off to get caught up but quickly, what does this mean?

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 24m24 minutes ago
When asked if she knew if #Garland ever wore Delta 2 shoes Gallen says "i've seen a video so I don't know how to answer that." #Garland #yyc

Omg I was wondering the SAAAAME thing! I was super confused by that too!!! What video? What are we missing?

This thread is closed.

Some of today's posts have been moved over to the new thread.

Please continue discussion at Thread #2

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members