Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they 100% that he definitely made it to that spot? I know I saw that he was heading in that direction but is it possible that he could have turned and went another direction? Any other direction to walk from that small street before getting to this intersection?

Last known:
attachment.php

That's exactly what I'm wondering as well. From the timeline Sgt. Matthew Redpath read verbatim at the news conference:

"When he enters the frame of the second video, he is walking down Scott Place toward Fort Duquesne Blvd. Puts his cellphone into the right pocket of his jacket. It is unclear if he walks to the right or to the left when he emerges onto Ft. Duquesne Blvd. Additional video does not show Dakota going across any bridge to the Northshore or doubling back on Scott Place." (BBM)
http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/12004988-74/james-police-duquesne

If someone could help me understand ...: Does the above statement mean there is video of Dakota actually "emerg[ing] onto Ft. Duquesne Blvd"? Or is it only an assumption on LE's part that he made it to the corner of Scott Place and Fort Duquesne Blvd -shown in ChuckMo's photo- based on the fact that Dakota was captured on video "walking down Scott Place toward Fort Duquesne Blvd"? If there is video of Dakota "emerg[ing] onto Ft. Duquesne Blvd.," why not release it, or at least make that clear?

Where did the "(a)dditional video [that] does not show Dakota ... doubling back on Scott Place" come from? Does it show Dakota at the corner of Scott Place and Fort Duquesne Blvd, or only towards the north end of Scott Place (past the Theater Square Garage, in particular, though which he could have walked over to Barker Place)?

Just watched the entire press conference video, and I'm still not sure. At around 24:37, a reporter asks a question that ends with "... Katz Plaza?" to which the detective answers, "Yes, sir." Did anyone catch what the reporter said right before "Katz Plaza?"
https://www.facebook.com/wtae4/videos/10155283153723643/

Like I mentioned, there has been speculation that the time stamp on the cameras is not synced. Therefore, the phone call could be before or after Katz Plaza.

Because he is seen on video after the butt dial.

Note that Scott Place is a 'street' that runs from (perpendicular to) Penn Ave, along the western border of Katz Plaza, along the back of The Century Building and Theater Parking Garage, along The Encore and exits at FDB.

You see Scott Place along the right side of the screen-captured image of the Katz Plaza video. DJ is about to walk on to the last stretch of Scott Place that appears as nothing more than a wide street-level sidewalk along Katz Plaza, in to which it changes to an asphalt surface behind The Century Building and straight through to FDB.

attachment.php

Attachments

• scott place.jpg
    scott place.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 186
DJ's position relative to Scott Place in Katz Plaza:

attachment.php

Attachments

• dj in katz plaza - scott place.png
    dj in katz plaza - scott place.png
    787.1 KB · Views: 183
I'm wondering why LE held that press conference at 3:30 p.m., during the soap opera time slot when none of the major networks were likely to carry it live (they didn't) unless the presser was to reveal DJ had been located. The presser was carried live only via the web (AFAIK).

Who was LE's intended audience? What did it accomplish?

As had been noted in an earlier post, there may have been a CYA aspect to the presser.

Just a side-note: any cameras that might exist along Scott Plaza beginning from behind The Century Building and through to just before FDB might not be city-owned, so if they are not functional it is not the city's failure.

Another question. So was the camera at the parking garage working and that's where he was seen putting his phone into his right pocket? Then another camera on Scott Place was the one filled with water?

I ask because he's on his phone in the Katz Plaza photo (likely texting someone) and then seen again on the next camera at the parking garage entrance putting his phone in his pocket. As a young man, I can say I usually walk with my phone in my hand if I've been using it and I'm expecting a text to come in. I wouldn't put it back in my pocket. This leads me to think that once he got to the parking garage (and put his phone away), he didn't need it anymore. That leads me to think he was meeting someone, saw them, and put it away because he didn't need it.

I can't help but stick to my theory that he entered the door in the underpass after the garage entrance, between Scott and Barker. That would explain why they couldn't tell if he turned L or R on FDB...he didn't go there in the first place.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 188
Everyone - the photos you're leaving here are awesome. Thanks for doing that and helping get a better explanation of the area lay out.
So these apartments...are there residents or are these empty? I may not have looked early enough in this entire thing to know whether or not those were a further thought; whether it be a resident of the apartments or any known vacant ones. Does anyone have any info on exploration of that and can fill me in?
Also, I'd assume if there was a clear confirmed siting/footage of DJ emerging at the intersection of Scott and FDB that there would also be a way of telling which way he headed. It was said that the cameras were too far and blurry to tell a direction, what about the depth perception being off and it is actually just an assumption.
I know I'm on repeat on this, but I just can't get my brain unstuck on the wondering whether or not there is an opening between buildings on the right hand side to cut back over to 7th and maybe not doubling back through Scott or Katz, but just going back down 7th in the direction which he came...or even the other direction on 7th etc. Circled in blue is the part that I'm questioning. Not the part on the left that cuts through.
attachment.php

Another question. So was the camera at the parking garage working and that's where he was seen putting his phone into his right pocket? Then another camera on Scott Place was the one filled with water?

I ask because he's on his phone in the Katz Plaza photo (likely texting someone) and then seen again on the next camera at the parking garage entrance putting his phone in his pocket. As a young man, I can say I usually walk with my phone in my hand if I've been using it and I'm expecting a text to come in. I wouldn't put it back in my pocket. This leads me to think that once he got to the parking garage (and put his phone away), he didn't need it anymore. That leads me to think he was meeting someone, saw them, and put it away because he didn't need it.

I can't help but stick to my theory that he entered the door in the underpass after the garage entrance, between Scott and Barker. That would explain why they couldn't tell if he turned L or R on FDB...he didn't go there in the first place.

attachment.php

Weird. Maybe it was changed to honor someone he was close to? My first thought was transgendered, but I have seen younger photos and he was always a guy. I know someone who changed their name for religious reasons. Maybe he really hated his middle name?

Everyone - the photos you're leaving here are awesome. Thanks for doing that and helping get a better explanation of the area lay out.
So these apartments...are there residents or are these empty? I may not have looked early enough in this entire thing to know whether or not those were a further thought; whether it be a resident of the apartments or any known vacant ones. Does anyone have any info on exploration of that and can fill me in?
Also, I'd assume if there was a clear confirmed siting/footage of DJ emerging at the intersection of Scott and FDB that there would also be a way of telling which way he headed. It was said that the cameras were too far and blurry to tell a direction, what about the depth perception being off and it is actually just an assumption.
I know I'm on repeat on this, but I just can't get my brain unstuck on the wondering whether or not there is an opening between buildings on the right hand side to cut back over to 7th and maybe not doubling back through Scott or Katz, but just going back down 7th in the direction which he came...or even the other direction on 7th etc. Circled in blue is the part that I'm questioning. Not the part on the left that cuts through.
attachment.php

The area you circled in blue is the driveway leading from 7th Street up to the Theater Parking Garage entrance / exit. That driveway also leads up to the pass-thru (next to the garage entrance) that accesses to Barkers Place, the next 'road/alley' that runs from Penn Avenue to FDB.

Weird. Maybe it was changed to honor someone he was close to? My first thought was transgendered, but I have seen younger photos and he was always a guy. I know someone who changed their name for religious reasons. Maybe he really hated his middle name?

I suspect "Dakota" is commonly perceived as a female's name and especially with DJ's original middle name, that certainly would muddy the waters.

http://www.wtae.com/article/pittsburgh-police-update-on-missing-man-dakota-james/8990849

Pittsburgh police want you to take a look at this timeline and call them if you remember anything notable from these locations during these times on Jan. 25.

1. Bar Louie in Station Square between 5 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
2. Diamond Market between 7:30 p.m. 9:27 p.m.
3. 941 Saloon between 9:27 p.m. and 10:27 p.m.
4. Image Bar on Liberty Avenue around 10:30 p.m.
5. Agnes R. Katz Plaza around 11:46 p.m.

To add to the confusion.

There are residents in the apartments and they aren't cheap. If you go to their website (it's called Encore on 7th) the smallest unit is like $2,000/month. The building on FDB (left of Encore on 7th) is abandoned.

The area you circled in blue is pavement for the entrance/exit to the parking garage and the pass through in the photo I posted. If you go onto Google Streetview, you can go right through there (7th onto the pavement and then through the pass through on to Barkers and then decide if you want to go to FDB or back to Penn Ave.).

Did he know someone that lived in the apartment building he walked near? Hopefully LE checks resident lists against his SM.

Is LE simply going through the motions until (as they believe) DJ shows up downstream?

The thing is, I think that door goes to both the apartments or the garage. So in theory, someone could have been waiting for him there and held the door open (as in "I'm almost there, I see you" and phone goes in pocket). He potentially could have went to an apartment and something happened. He could have been there for days or weeks before being moved. Or, he could have met someone at the door (resident at apartments or not) and gotten into a car in the garage that way and not on the street.

Did he know someone that lived in the apartment building he walked near? Hopefully LE checks resident lists against his SM.

I suspect "Dakota" is commonly perceived as a female's name and especially with DJ's original middle name, that certainly would muddy the waters.

And possibly throw peeing in an alley or into the river into question.

And possibly throw peeing in an alley or into the river into question.

Not in my mind.

DJ's family has posted many early-years photos of DJ... not a one seems to suggest any 'changes' from then until now, except normal aging.

During the presser, LE indicated they did a walk-through of The Century Building. I am not sure when that occurred or how many times, but either way, it seems too little, too late if they were looking for 'evidence'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769