Found Deceased PA - Dakota James, 23, Pittsburgh, 25 Jan 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he was either abducted or willingly got into a car on FDB. Any other scenario doesn't make sense. He had friends that he just left, carrying a 2 liter of soda, texting his Dad ...then poof, gone. Just smells of foul play .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am friends with DJ's family. He was not texting his dad. In fact, a lot of the press conference yesterday was unfortunately full of misinformation. DJ's mom typed up a post on social media detailing what was untrue. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post it here?

Please delete if not allowed. This was posted by Pamela (Dakota's mom):
I'm so angry over the press conference. So many inaccuracies and yet again Dakota's mayor Bill Peduto has failed him and didn't even show up for support.

Major inaccuracies:

1. The timeline given was incorrect. You stated that Dakota and coworker did not go into Images. Lie. We have proof by coworker receipt that they were served drinks and was well after the 10:30 time frame at 941 Saloon.
2. There is a surveillance camera at the wine and spirits that showed Dakota and coworker walking down Liberty Street after leaving Images which I believe was around the 11:30pm time. They were walking towards the T station. Proof again your timeline is off and misleading to the character of Dakota.
3. You said that Dakota was not with coworker at the T station when the Uber picked her up but then you say that surveillance showed him at the T station at the exact time she was picked up at the time of 11:49. That's a major error on your part. He was with coworker until she got into the Uber.
4. Dakota was not texting his father when he was last seen. He butt dialed at 11:45 but your camera at Katz plaza minutes later catches him texting more after that. He was talking to someone else and you know that.
5. People approached us about the drones, you did not request, you only had to give them permission.
6. We came to you about the use of dog from a group that offered their assistance. You would not approve our dog until an hour later when you found out your dogs were gone for training.
7. You did not give us immediate access to surveillance to prove you were even looking for the correct person. The first one that we were finally shown based on the tip from those three workers was not even my child meaning we had been on a wild goose chase for days.
8. Once we finally got to see the Katz Plaza video to verify he was my son, it changed the color of his jacket to blue instead of green but we still hear reports for looking for green.
9. There are still cameras broken in the city. The next surveillance camera we needed once we knew of Scott's Alley, we have a picture and had conversation with workers that said yeah they had been called out to fix because it was full of water and hadn't been working. The one piece of the puzzle we need and it's broken.
10. Yes you promised to continuously be in touch with us, you know the truth to that.
11. The FBI has not been called in. We called them and they will not help with it being a Missing Person case. They will allow you use of their resources but not the manpower.
12. Grindr did not provide all the information that we need. They only gave you the minimal that they are required by the so called law. We will continue to fight to get more information.

I agree with every single thing you said. 100%

I can't imagine why anyone would walk down FDB , there would be no reason to do that. I worked in that part of the city for 12 years. The only reason I can think of would be if he was meeting someone (in a car) since he would be walking against traffic if he was walking towards Roberto CLemente Bridge (6th street bridge). He could not have just disappeared... why would you go the whole way to the river if you had to pee? It makes no sense. Foul play for sure, there is no other answer. I feel like the police held that press conference to talk about more of what they are doing, than for any other reason. Anyone else agree?

So, after that Katz plaza photo, he should have been seen on the parking garage entrance/exit camera...which is what she is saying wasn't working. Are we sure he continued down Scott's Place and didn't enter the Backstage Bar with the entrance that is right by the Katz camera towards the direction he was walking?

I'll also suggest again that he could have entered into the stairwell that's located in the pass through between Scott and Barkers, which I believe allows access to both the garage and apartment complex. If there is no video of DJ on FDB, then he either got into a car at the garage entrance or entered the stairwell.

I'm so angry over the press conference. So many inaccuracies and yet again Dakota's mayor Bill Peduto has failed him and didn't even show up for support.

Major inaccuracies:

1. The timeline given was incorrect. You stated that Dakota and coworker did not go into Images. Lie. We have proof by coworker receipt that they were served drinks and was well after the 10:30 time frame at 941 Saloon.
2. There is a surveillance camera at the wine and spirits that showed Dakota and coworker walking down Liberty Street after leaving Images which I believe was around the 11:30pm time. They were walking towards the T station. Proof again your timeline is off and misleading to the character of Dakota.
3. You said that Dakota was not with coworker at the T station when the Uber picked her up but then you say that surveillance showed him at the T station at the exact time she was picked up at the time of 11:49. That's a major error on your part. He was with coworker until she got into the Uber.
4. Dakota was not texting his father when he was last seen. He butt dialed at 11:45 but your camera at Katz plaza minutes later catches him texting more after that. He was talking to someone else and you know that.
5. People approached us about the drones, you did not request, you only had to give them permission.
6. We came to you about the use of dog from a group that offered their assistance. You would not approve our dog until an hour later when you found out your dogs were gone for training.
7. You did not give us immediate access to surveillance to prove you were even looking for the correct person. The first one that we were finally shown based on the tip from those three workers was not even my child meaning we had been on a wild goose chase for days.
8. Once we finally got to see the Katz Plaza video to verify he was my son, it changed the color of his jacket to blue instead of green but we still hear reports for looking for green.
9. There are still cameras broken in the city. The next surveillance camera we needed once we knew of Scott's Alley, we have a picture and had conversation with workers that said yeah they had been called out to fix because it was full of water and hadn't been working. The one piece of the puzzle we need and it's broken.
10. Yes you promised to continuously be in touch with us, you know the truth to that.
11. The FBI has not been called in. We called them and they will not help with it being a Missing Person case. They will allow you use of their resources but not the manpower.
12. Grindr did not provide all the information that we need. They only gave you the minimal that they are required by the so called law. We will continue to fight to get more information.
Agree. There were definitely a few inaccuracies in the press conference. The press conference seemed to be a case of CYA to me. Notice how quickly they dismissed the notion that there may be other similar cases. Not sure if they should have dismissed that so quickly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dakota's mother clears up a number of things. Going back to the Uber, if he was ready to go home they could have shared the ride which indicates he must have had someone he was meeting or he was going to go back to a bar in the area. *has anyone verified with the co-worker whether or not the Uber driver was willing to take them both (?)

The area I live in has a lot of gang activity. If this was a random event with a motive of robbery or (?) they would have left his body where it fell. To risk trying to dump a body after committing a crime such as a random assault or robbery doesn't make sense. The other alternative would be that the body was dumped into a dumpster as people have been saying are close by and easily accessible which means the body is in the dump.

Second scenario is not random, (thought out / planned by the other person). Motive: Possible are; more drinking, hook up / hanging out, drugs (but the family states he does not have a history of drug use) or something more sinister such as targeting him for a crime to harm him. In order for this scenario to work it would have to involve a car and taking him to another location.

Earlier, there was mention about his cell phone and "Grant Street" (I think) I am not from this area so not sure. If there is a Grant Street and that is the last "ping off his cell phone" where is that in relation to where he was last seen.

It is obvious that he was using his phone, texting from the picture. He seemed to be walking with purpose. I agree with the person who posted the pictures of the garage that I think a car was waiting for him there. The police need to be checking all video for cars in the area at that time.

There was a young man close to the time after Dakota went missing who reported getting into a car, (I think it was a Uber ride) who stated the driver locked the doors and was not following the route to take him to the address he wanted to go to. He stated he jumped out of the car when the car stopped at light. The police stated that the man was not telling the truth, but perhaps he was.

So car scenario: He either agreed to meet up with someone who was waiting for him in a car. Or, a car pulls up by him, driver says something like, "hey, saw you in the bar earlier, you look like you need a ride" Dakota might have felt safe if the driver said he was at the bar earlier too and accepted a ride.

I feel like the Police there should have the FBI come in, look at all of the cases that people are talking about and any others that people don't know about that have not received a lot of media attention to determine if in fact there is someone who is targeting people for (?) and I say people because there seem to be both men and women of a variety of ages and ethnicities that are missing from that area. Serial killers usually do target people based upon: specific age, gender, ethnic etc... but not always.....

It sounded to me like they have footage of him at the end of Scott, and that is where it ends. They said once he got to where it intersects with FDB it ends there. But after what the mom said, who knows anymore.

I can't imagine why anyone would walk down FDB , there would be no reason to do that. I worked in that part of the city for 12 years. The only reason I can think of would be if he was meeting someone (in a car) since he would be walking against traffic if he was walking towards Roberto CLemente Bridge (6th street bridge). He could not have just disappeared... why would you go the whole way to the river if you had to pee? It makes no sense. Foul play for sure, there is no other answer. I feel like the police held that press conference to talk about more of what they are doing, than for any other reason. Anyone else agree?

RBBM.

Could Dakota have been taking the route of 7th -> Katz Plaza -> Scott Place = poorly lit, rather than to continue straight on 7th = much brighter, more populated option because he was looking for a spot where he could pee somewhat discreetly? In my early 20's, I lived in Tokyo, and it was not uncommon at all to stumble upon a (gentle)man peeing outside while walking down an alley, especially on Friday nights, when all the young-professional-types would be out having a good time.

My thought was perhaps that's what Dakota was trying to do, but then he couldn't find a good spot (maybe there were people around), so decided to try the riverbank at the bottom of the stairway from the Sixth Street/Roberto Clemente Bridge?

My apologies in advance if this sounds completely silly. I wasn't sure if this would even be relevant because of the cultural difference, as well as due to the fact that I am now in my 40's and my bar-hopping days are long over, but thought I'd share.

Major inaccuracies:

This post cleared a few things up for me. In my opinion the press conference seemed vague and while some questions were answered others were not. I agree with the above post that said they dismissed the pattern of cases very quickly. The detective didn't even stop to ponder the question. I keep going back to the location of the searches this coming weekend. One would absolutely have to drive to the north hills location to get to North Park. This leads me to believe there is a tip of him being in a car. I wonder if the city will ever address the Scott's place camera issue.

Dakota's mother clears up a number of things. Going back to the Uber, if he was ready to go home they could have shared the ride which indicates he must have had someone he was meeting or he was going to go back to a bar in the area. *has anyone verified with the co-worker whether or not the Uber driver was willing to take them both (?)

BBM
From what I have heard, the co-worker doesnt remember much about the night

That Grindr app shows you where people are located in relation to you. Someone could have been watching him on there and waiting.

- Might not share an Uber if the co-worker was going in the opposite direction of Dakota's apartment...if that's where his intended destination was.
- Saw on SM that there was definitely footage of Dakota being present when the co-worker got in the Uber and there seemed to be what police said was an odd interaction between DJ and the driver...but maybe that could be as simple as giving the driver specific instructions, address of the co-worker, telling him to make sure to wait til she gets in her door before pulling away etc.
- all the conflicts in the story and details are just so frustrating in a situation where a establishing a legit and accurate timeline is so crucial to knowing which direction to go with the investigation. I mean, we could keep hitting dead ends because of this.
- We live in a time now where instantly we know all the risks and terrible things that go on in the world. We've all heard and read stories of similar instances all over. It just really seem unlikely that he would agree to meet up with anyone in a dangerous, seedy spot in an alley, dimly lit street, down by the river or under a bridge etc? I just can't see anyone willingly doing such a thing...impaired or otherwise. Unless of course there are other extenuating circumstances - a person being homeless, addiction etc which I don't believe is the case for DJ. (Let me clarify that I'm not saying that I think that is the case in this situation or spreading anything false. This is why I personally don't lean towards that theory. I'm just throwing that in there anticipating that someone will say that there is such activity in those areas.)
-I also don't think it likely he's going down to the river to relieve himself (a thought in a previous posts)
Unfortunately I fear that even when he is found, we'll never quite know all the when, why's and how's to this. Especially when details and timelines cannot be accurately established. I think it will still all be a shell of events with a starting point and ending point.

The area I live in has a lot of gang activity. If this was a random event with a motive of robbery or (?) they would have left his body where it fell. To risk trying to dump a body after committing a crime such as a random assault or robbery doesn't make sense. The other alternative would be that the body was dumped into a dumpster as people have been saying are close by and easily accessible which means the body is in the dump.

Second scenario is not random, (thought out / planned by the other person). Motive: Possible are; more drinking, hook up / hanging out, drugs (but the family states he does not have a history of drug use) or something more sinister such as targeting him for a crime to harm him. In order for this scenario to work it would have to involve a car and taking him to another location.

Earlier, there was mention about his cell phone and "Grant Street" (I think) I am not from this area so not sure. If there is a Grant Street and that is the last "ping off his cell phone" where is that in relation to where he was last seen.

It is obvious that he was using his phone, texting from the picture. He seemed to be walking with purpose. I agree with the person who posted the pictures of the garage that I think a car was waiting for him there. The police need to be checking all video for cars in the area at that time.

There was a young man close to the time after Dakota went missing who reported getting into a car, (I think it was a Uber ride) who stated the driver locked the doors and was not following the route to take him to the address he wanted to go to. He stated he jumped out of the car when the car stopped at light. The police stated that the man was not telling the truth, but perhaps he was.

So car scenario: He either agreed to meet up with someone who was waiting for him in a car. Or, a car pulls up by him, driver says something like, "hey, saw you in the bar earlier, you look like you need a ride" Dakota might have felt safe if the driver said he was at the bar earlier too and accepted a ride.

I feel like the Police there should have the FBI come in, look at all of the cases that people are talking about and any others that people don't know about that have not received a lot of media attention to determine if in fact there is someone who is targeting people for (?) and I say people because there seem to be both men and women of a variety of ages and ethnicities that are missing from that area. Serial killers usually do target people based upon: specific age, gender, ethnic etc... but not always.....

You're thoughts aren't silly at all and yes, peeing in an alley would be totally possible, as would going down to the river to do so. However, past the Katz camera, the only other one until you're on FDB is at the parking garage, which apparently wasn't working. He could have cut across the pass through and went to Barkers Place, which has a few cameras that would have spotted him before FDB.

When LE said they do not know if he turned left or right onto FDB, that doesn't necessarily tell me he made it that far or else they would have known which way he turned IMO. I think they assume he made it there.

RBBM.

Could Dakota have been taking the route of 7th -> Katz Plaza -> Scott Place = poorly lit, rather than to continue straight on 7th = much brighter, more populated option because he was looking for a spot where he could pee somewhat discreetly? In my early 20's, I lived in Tokyo, and it was not uncommon at all to stumble upon a (gentle)man peeing outside while walking down an alley, especially on Friday nights, when all the young-professional-types would be out having a good time.

My thought was perhaps that's what Dakota was trying to do, but then he couldn't find a good spot (maybe there were people around), so decided to try the riverbank at the bottom of the stairway from the Sixth Street/Roberto Clemente Bridge?

My apologies in advance if this sounds completely silly. I wasn't sure if this would even be relevant because of the cultural difference, as well as due to the fact that I am now in my 40's and my bar-hopping days are long over, but thought I'd share.

I sort of thought that was the case. Otherwise I think there could be slightly more to go on. Even a discussion where co-worker tries to talk him into the car but then he says "no, I'm going to _____" or "I have to ____". That could have even been a discussion between the two of them that the driver could have overheard and provide details of.

----This is in response to "From what I have heard, the co-worker doesnt remember much about the night". Sorry guys, still getting used to the intricacies of how this site works..I'm sort of terrible at it still.

Ok, we kind of know the time stamps on the cameras may not be completely accurate. That got me thinking about what DJ's mom said about "butt dialing" his father shortly before he was seen in Katz Plaza at 11:49. How do they know it was a butt dial? Did they answer the phone and speak to him or did they just hear random noise? Were they asleep? What if DJ sensed he was in trouble and called his dad, but whoever took him ended the call or smashed the phone?

I would think DJ's parents would be calling back if they answered the "butt dial" and no one was there or if they were asleep and called him back the next morning. Then if the phone was off for whatever reason and it kept going to voicemail, I'd think they'd be trying to reach DJ at work, etc., before being notified by police that he was missing.

Totally agree to this as well as the theory of finding a place to pee. Not silly at all; people do it all the time!
Who knows he could have even been cutting through that way for another reason, saw someone or something shady and cut out of there before reaching the end, or realized after he walked that way that it wasn't a smart place to be walking, or realized he was going the wrong way etc.
And if there's no footage clear enough to tell whether there is a left or right turn made at FDB, is it clear enough to know with certainty he made it there at all.

You're thoughts aren't silly at all and yes, peeing in an alley would be totally possible, as would going down to the river to do so. However, past the Katz camera, the only other one until you're on FDB is at the parking garage, which apparently wasn't working. He could have cut across the pass through and went to Barkers Place, which has a few cameras that would have spotted him before FDB.

When LE said they do not know if he turned left or right onto FDB, that doesn't necessarily tell me he made it that far or else they would have known which way he turned IMO. I think they assume he made it there.

modified (using selective spacing, for purpose of clarity) and bbm

Major inaccuracies:

re: #1: LE did not state, "DJ and co-worker did not go into Images". He stated, "...they were not there long as the bartender refused to serve them." He did not mean they weren't served any drinks, it means they weren't there long because the bartender (eventually) refused to serve them (more) drinks.

I see errors from both sides.

At the tail-end of the presser, after the "thank you all for coming out", off-camera conversation can be heard:

A woman: "We, we don't have additional pictures?"

A woman: "I thought we released about four or five?"

A woman: "I guess you don't have anything new."

A woman: "Nothing new."

A man: "The, the last time he was sighted was...?"

A woman: "Scott Place."

A man: "Scott Place."

Woman: "Scott Place!"

https://www.facebook.com/wtae4/videos/10155283153723643/

Ok, we kind of know the time stamps on the cameras may not be completely accurate. That got me thinking about what DJ's mom said about "butt dialing" his father shortly before he was seen in Katz Plaza at 11:49. How do they know it was a butt dial? Did they answer the phone and speak to him or did they just hear random noise? Were they asleep? What if DJ sensed he was in trouble and called his dad, but whoever took him ended the call or smashed the phone?

I would think DJ's parents would be calling back if they answered the "butt dial" and no one was there or if they were asleep and called him back the next morning. Then if the phone was off for whatever reason and it kept going to voicemail, I'd think they'd be trying to reach DJ at work, etc., before being notified by police that he was missing.

Because he is seen on video after the butt dial.

Has anyone with LE questioned this Uber driver about that night? He might be able to shed some light about any conversation he heard between the co-worker and DJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newworldroofing