MA MA - Joan Risch, 30, Lincoln, 24 Oct 1961

Thanks Skigirl, this could be tough tracking down. Your link is to a 1993 Boston Herald article, Ford was 57 at the time. If alive, he would be 80. The reporter, Joe Heaney, great long time Herald reporter passed away a couple of years ago at 82. If he is not alive, maybe there is an offspring that is in possession of the documents.

Here's the website: http://truth-link.org/8-joan-risch-category/1-joanrisch

Liz - I am not so sure about the calls coming from Joan's friend, Sabra Morton's phone. Any reference I found about the calls never identified the source. Yes, Sabra lived fairly close to Joan then (Bedford) and now (Lexington). Bedford is the next town over (NW direction) and it would have been 6-7 miles away. Liz, I don't believe it was Joan who made those calls from her friend Sabra's house for a couple of reasons, 1. Sabra just got home from the hospital with new baby and I assume there would have been several people including the husband in the house. The calls came over several days so Joan would have to have been staying there with a newborn? Also, I posed a question on the forum whether LE had the ability in 1961 to pull phone luds and someone said yes, they could with a subpoena. So, I suppose LE could have found out who was making those calls and why? Yet, I never read where it came from Sabra. IMO, that would be very significant. Why was she calling the house,asking for Joan when the search for her is all over the news? Then calling for her at the Barkers? It would just about implicate her in the disappearance.

Do you want to hear an odd coincidence? Her friend Sabra Morton, still alive and in her 80's worked her whole life in the publishing field as a free lance writer.

Your questions concerning Martin are the same as mine. That is why this is such an conundrum, there seems to be a lot of information about the case but, yet not really. My guess, is he never hired a PI, I think if he did, that would have been public. Martin not declaring her legally dead may have been his coping mechanism. That is why I really believe on the one hand he had nothing directly to do with her disappearance and/or death. He never remarried (so no "other woman") and I don't think he had a financial windfall after her death. However....I really believe deep down he knew more than he led on...

Liz - I am not so sure about the calls coming from Joan's friend, Sabra Morton's phone. Any reference I found about the calls never identified the source. Yes, Sabra lived fairly close to Joan then (Bedford) and now (Lexington). Bedford is the next town over (NW direction) and it would have been 6-7 miles away. Liz, I don't believe it was Joan who made those calls from her friend Sabra's house for a couple of reasons, 1. Sabra just got home from the hospital with new baby and I assume there would have been several people including the husband in the house. The calls came over several days so Joan would have to have been staying there with a newborn? Also, I posed a question on the forum whether LE had the ability in 1961 to pull phone luds and someone said yes, they could with a subpoena. So, I suppose LE could have found out who was making those calls and why? Yet, I never read where it came from Sabra. IMO, that would be very significant. Why was she calling the house,asking for Joan when the search for her is all over the news? Then calling for her at the Barkers? It would just about implicate her in the disappearance.

Do you want to hear an odd coincidence? Her friend Sabra Morton, still alive and in her 80's worked her whole life in the publishing field as a free lance writer.

Your questions concerning Martin are the same as mine. That is why this is such an conundrum, there seems to be a lot of information about the case but, yet not really. My guess, is he never hired a PI, I think if he did, that would have been public. Martin not declaring her legally dead may have been his coping mechanism. That is why I really believe on the one hand he had nothing directly to do with her disappearance and/or death. He never remarried (so no "other woman") and I don't think he had a financial windfall after her death. However....I really believe deep down he knew more than he led on...

Be so interesting to get Sabra's take on Joan's disappearance, wonder if anyone ever interviewed her over the years ?... What do you think Martin knew ? TIA

Be so interesting to get Sabra's take on Joan's disappearance, wonder if anyone ever interviewed her over the years ?... What do you think Martin knew ? TIA

That's a good question, I couldn't find anything. Keep in mind, anything done before 1990 is tough to find on the internet unless it was updated, republished, scanned, etc..That is why trying to get the complete file from Lawrence Ford (the PDF author linked a few times here) would be a place to look. Now for Martin, well I have my theories. As I said, I don't believe he "knocked off this wife." However, I am guessing there were cracks in the marriage. I really believe there was some type of affair and he suspected it. I don't have time to go into the whole scenario of what I believe happened. I will in a future posting. To me, one of the key considerations is the short time they were in Lincoln before Joan disappeared. Whenever I consider one of the numerous theories and scenarios of her disappearance I think about that short time frame. The other key is the two-tone blue/gray automobile. As several people mentioned, the resolution of that point is the key to the mystery.

That's a good question, I couldn't find anything. Keep in mind, anything done before 1990 is tough to find on the internet unless it was updated, republished, scanned, etc..That is why trying to get the complete file from Lawrence Ford (the PDF author linked a few times here) would be a place to look. Now for Martin, well I have my theories. As I said, I don't believe he "knocked off this wife." However, I am guessing there were cracks in the marriage. I really believe there was some type of affair and he suspected it. I don't have time to go into the whole scenario of what I believe happened. I will in a future posting. To me, one of the key considerationstim is the short e they were in Lincoln before Joan disappeared. Whenever I consider one of the numerous theories and scenarios of her disappearance I think about that short time frame. The other key is the two-tone blue/gray automobile. As several people mentioned, the resolution of that point is the key to the mystery.

Something strange I've noticed over the years is that quite a few people who went missing did so not long after they moved to a new area.. Wonder if someone her new neighorhood was watching Joan ?

Ahh Liz, you are right on my theory with that thought....more to come from me in that vein...

I think it is the key as long as it's true so what could have it have been about? Certainly no abortionist is going to do a pre-op exam.

Would an abortionist, at a time abortion was illegal, have parked his car openly on the drive of his client's house? In that situation I would expect him to park a few hundred yards away and then walk the last stretch.

More! More! ☺

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

Since all we have for material is the Lawrence Ford pdf file and whatever we have on the web, I decided to write up a timeline/chart to take myself through the various theories and look for discrepancies. Ideally, I would love to have 1. the complete LE file and 2. the complete Lawrence Ford file. It is is fantasy and unrealistic but it would be the only way one could make a valid case. Anyway, for instance, I find the witnesses stating the woman walking along Route 2A and 128 was wearing a kerchief interesting. It was 52 degrees outside and more importantly she made the time to put a kerchief on before leaving her house? So, I cannot picture a kidnapping or struggle where she thinks "oh wait, let me put on a kerchief before I leave....!!"

At first when I saw the toy truck in the photo, I thought maybe Joan slipped and fell on it somehow and hurt herself pretty badly, but that wouldn't explain why there were drops of blood upstairs.

At this point my own opinion is that someone assaulted her. I wasn't born til 1970 but back then I don't remember housewives keeping their doors locked during the day in nice neighborhoods, plus kids were prone to running back and forth from the neighbors, so locking the doors would be inconvenient. Maybe someone slipped into the house and raped or attempted to rape her. She may have had another man (although I hate to suggest such a thing if it wasn't the case) or maybe someone in the neighborhood or passing through (like a salesman, etc) developed a thing for her and was stalking her. It wasn't a robbery, so the purpose of the attack was focused on Joan herself.

An attacker seems to make the most sense. He could have come into the house after the daughter went next door or he could even have been hiding somewhere in the house when the family returned home at lunchtime, then he began the attack near the baby's crib, since there was some blood there, and the struggle could have continued on into the kitchen, with her injuries worsening or bleeding more rapidly there.

This person may or may not have been successful in sexually assaulting her, but since she was seen alone after she was injured, he fled the scene either after accomplishing his purpose or after getting scared that the situation had gotten out of hand.

In reading everything I could about this case, I have not ruled out the "intruder" theory. However, it is lower on my possibility scale. You are right about people leaving doors open back in the sixties and seventies. I live near the area and heck, we kept doors unlocked up until the early 80's! Anyway, I believe whoever was in the house she knew. Here is my thinking, If it was a stranger/intruder/bogeyman scenario where she was attacked, I think she would have been screaming or running for help the first time she was seen by Mrs. Barker at about 2:15. She seemed to to be under some type of duress at that point, I mean things occurring on or about her property at this time was out of the ordinary. My point is if it was a stranger I think she would be reacting like any of of us would, especially once we got outside of the house we would be screaming for help. However, Joan did not react this way, why? I believe it is because she knew the person inside the house whether that person was doing her harm or helping her with either a miscarriage or abortion. I tend to go with the former.

In reading everything I could about this case, I have not ruled out the "intruder" theory. However, it is lower on my possibility scale. You are right about people leaving doors open back in the sixties and seventies. I live near the area and heck, we kept doors unlocked up until the early 80's! Anyway, I believe whoever was in the house she knew. Here is my thinking, If it was a stranger/intruder/bogeyman scenario where she was attacked, I think she would have been screaming or running for help the first time she was seen by Mrs. Barker at about 2:15. She seemed to to be under some type of duress at that point, I mean things occurring on or about her property at this time was out of the ordinary. My point is if it was a stranger I think she would be reacting like any of of us would, especially once we got outside of the house we would be screaming for help. However, Joan did not react this way, why? I believe it is because she knew the person inside the house whether that person was doing her harm or helping her with either a miscarriage or abortion. I tend to go with the former.

So does this mean that you are totally discounting the several people who saw a woman who many think was Joan ? And what was the motive for this intruder to harm Joan ? What happened next ? Did the intruder kill her ?

Joan ?

So does this mean that you are totally discounting the several people who saw a woman who many think was Joan ? And what was the motive for this intruder to harm Joan ? What happened next ? Did the intruder kill her ?

Joan ?

No Liz, on the contrary, I believe 100% those sightings of Joan on Routes 2A and 128. Remember those sightings were between 3:45 (est.) and 5:00. And, as I mentioned, of course when all else fails you could say it was an intruder. Sure, I think it could have been an intruder. It has been know to happen. But on my probability scale, I rate it low..See, to me the motive would have been the same whether it was a stranger or someone she knew. It was of a sexual nature. Robbery wasn't the motive. Random murder, no, otherwise she would have been dead in the house. Child kidnapping, no because the child was unharmed. I could go on and on...but with other motives but I hope you see my point. As I mentioned previously the blue/gray car holds the key. Liz, I am still putting together what happened next...There is just so much left unsaid. Like the neighbor driving down the street, who saw the blue/gray car pulling out of the driveway (or the neighbor's driveway) but nothing about who was driving? Ex. Miss, was it a man or a woman driving?? I find myself screaming at the screen "ask the next natural question!"

No

Maybe the dentist was the abortionist. She called because she was having complications and he knew she would have to be disappeared because she had a "dental" appointment.

Maybe the dentist was the abortionist. She called because she was having complications and he knew she would have to be disappeared because she had a "dental" appointment.

Sorry, I am not believing the dentist as abortionist theory or Joan had a reaction to the med using to do a filling. She had a filling ....a filling done at around 10:00 AM. I cannot believe a 'reaction" took place 4.5-5 hours later. We are talking 30-45 minute simple dental procedure. And, comon, a dentist who doubles as a part-time abortionist?

joans story is both intriguing and frusterating. My thoughts&questions of the key points in this case goes as follows~

1. The day Joan disappeared was a busy one. While I do think the botched abortion theory holds water- I don't think it was done the day of her disappearance. That leads me to ask - What was Joan's day like the day before the disappearance? The day before her vanishing was the day her husband left for business-correct? does anyone know the details regarding Joan's schedule or whereabouts the day before her disappearance?

2. The intruder theory is also plausible, because so little is known about the events that transpired, it's can't be ruled out that Joan met with foul play with a stranger/random attacker. However the problem with that theory to me is A) the lack of noise or evidence of a violent struggle. It's hard for me to imagine that a woman being attacked in her suburban home during the day- with her children in close proximity- wouldn't of screamed, hollared, or made any noise alerting the neighbors or leaving a trace of her fighting off a second person or persons. B) the window of opportunity between when Joan dropped off Lilian to when BB brought Lilian back to when BB arrived home to see Lilian in the yard- I feel is too narrow and specific for a random person to know exactly when someone would be coming back to the Risch home. They would of have to be extremely swift or extremely lucky to have attacked Joan and abduct her from her home in that amount of time without going unnoticed.

3. I tend to lean towards the medical emergency theory- whatever it might have been. It makes the most sense to me- looking at the evidence and circumstances. However, I have the same problem with the intruder theory.. I can't imagine going through a medical emergency alone with an infant in my home and not screaming or doing anything to alert to anyone or call for help in anyway. I know the phone was off the jack suggestionig she could of grabbed it then fell and jerked it out the wall. But again, I feel for her to be overcome with pain or illness- whether it be gynecological or undiagnosed- bleed out- fall to the ground for sometime as the blood in the photos suggest, only to regain stability, stand up, walk out her home- too disoriented to know who she was, where she was going, or to alert anyone for help- seems awfully narrow and improbably to happen within the timeline we are given to where Joan went missing from her home.

4. The liquor bottle in the waste basket bothers me. I don't know if Joan was a drinker, or perhaps it was her husbands that never made it to the trash can, but it seems so obvious and out of place to me.

5. Mr. Barker was once accused of having involvement with Joan's disappearance. I know the evidence on the theory is almost nonexistent but here is my speculation on how he could of had involvement. He and Joan could of been having an affair in some way. Joan could of been pregnant, not knowing if it was her husbands or Mr.Bakers, which could give reasoning behind the abortion theory- as all reports indicates she loved her kids so that makes sense as why she would want the procedure if she did indeed have one leading up to her diappearance. Mr. Barker met her at the home, either with an abortionist or perhaps tried to perform it themselves, something went wrong and they drove off with Joan. Even if she didn't the speculation can still continue as follows- Mr. Baker went over to the Risch home and either with intentions to harm Joan, or perhaps an altercation had occurred that injured Joan. After which he took her to a location, perhaps by some land/property owned by the Barkers, and disposed of the body. One step further- BB knew of the affair and knew of her husbands intentions to call it off. It was back in the 60s, and divorced was still almost nonexistent. Perhaps she accepted the affair, as a lot of women did, and knew of her husbands intentions - whether them be just confrontational or harmful. Which would explain why BB was so suspicious when leaving Lilian home without confirming someone was there. Maybe if there was screaming or calls of help sent towards the Bakers from the Risch home, it went unnoticed.Maybe that's how the corse of events fit so seemlessly within the timeline of BB bringing back Lillian and returning from the store. Although, BB did call the police upon her discovery of the "red paint" in the kitchen. Again, far fetched with no evidence to support- just based on my speculation.

6. The husband could of hired someone to kill Joan for any number of reasons - affairs, money, etc.. I don't know if there was any kind of life insurance policy for Joan, but it does strike me odd that Mr. Risch always just assumed she ran off and the family never made any feverous attempt to find Joan or investigate her fate. Then again it was reported that he always kept the same phone number with the thought he may hear from her again one day. Again, only speculation, it could just be how he and the family chose to deal with Joan's disappearance or the attitude of the time.

Thanks for listening!

Would an abortionist, at a time abortion was illegal, have parked his car openly on the drive of his client's house? In that situation I would expect him to park a few hundred yards away and then walk the last stretch.

I have never, ever, heard of an illegal abortion house call. You hear of "back alley" abortions, meaning in an office that is not labeled "abortions available here," and of questionable sterility and quality, but I have never, ever heard of a person coming to someone's home to perform an abortion. I've heard of plenty of women who used home remedies to induce a miscarriage, but not with help from a professional, even one of dubious credentials.

Was that actually a thing? I am certainly no expert, so maybe it was common and I have just never heard of it.

[QUOTE

Was that actually a thing? I am certainly no expert, so maybe it was common and I have just never heard of it.[/QUOTE]

=Skigirl;13214543]I have never, ever, heard of an illegal abortion house call. You hear of "back alley" abortions, meaning in an office that is not labeled "abortions available here," and of questionable sterility and quality, but I have never, ever heard of a person coming to someone's home to perform an abortion. I've heard of plenty of women who used home remedies to induce a miscarriage, but not with help from a professional, even one of dubious credentials.

Skigirl,

I never heard of a "house-call" abortion either. I do not subscribe to this theory at all.What,did she have a 1:00 PM appointment when the baby was napping and the daughter playing at the neighbor's house? And, the coat hanger on her car (I assume) in the photo, although intriguing could be explained a few ways. LE was going to use it to open the car door lock (I did this a few times on my old cars) or it was simply found on the ground and was placed on the car at that moment. Further, if it was used for an abortion, the coat hanger would have been "open" (untwisting the top) to make a probe and if it was found in the house, it certainly would have been collected as evidence.

What I am most intrigued about is the relationship with the foster/adoptive father. Mr. Risch indicated that his wife mentioned having been sexually abused somehow as a youth while in foster care. There appears to have been several visits with her adoptive parents in days prior to her disappearance. I wonder if Joan, now grown, married and with her own children, started "talking" about the previous sexual abuse and her adoptive father paid her a couple visits to try to shut her up. Perhaps things got out of hand and she got hurt and fled the scene. Maybe he chased her down and got her into the car...never to be seen again. I wonder if the police had him on their suspect list since they interviewed him at least twice after she disappeared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theonce-ler
Back