MA MA - Joan Risch, 30, Lincoln, 24 Oct 1961

The dark object under the towel is a toy tractor made by the Auburn Company.

Auburn Farm Toy Tractor

The paper roll probably was used by the children for drawing pictures. It was likely standing on end and got knocked over during the attack. When it fell, it began to roll on the floor, unrolling the paper until it stopped in the corner. It is not paper towel type of paper, but heavier. Perhaps wrapping paper or paper meant to be fed through a printing press of some sort.

The phone receiver being perched on the full trash can seems odd. Why would someone take such care to hang it there in light of the violence and struggle that took place?

If someone threw that toy tractor it could cause serious injuries. Even if a child was holding it waving it around they could cause injury if they whopped someone on the head with it accidentally. Imagine her son lying in his cot or on a change table waving it around while Joan was changing him and he accidentally hit her with it. Head wounds do bleed profusely even if the wound is superficial. If Joan had an anesthetic when at the dentist that could cause her to bleed even more. I like your scenario with the roll of paper. It never looked like a paper towel roll but I couldn't figure out why it was on the floor without knowing where its home was.

I know I've said it before way back in the threads but I know for a fact that back in those days the idea of preserving a possible crime scene was sadly lacking in LE circles. Numerous cops have traipsed through crime scenes, even those who are not actively investigating it, because they could. They picked stuff up and didn't return it to its original place, the tromped over existing footprints, used the bannisters going up and down stairs effectively obliterating any useable prints.

I don't know what happened to Joan. Posters have come up with many viable scenarios which probably have already been thought of by LE. One thing that always troubles me when reading about possible crime scenes like this, a respectable middle class woman with a sterling reputation, is that many of the articles related to this possible crime scene, talk about a woman preserving her honour as if to banish the idea that JS could have manufactured her own disappearance (which I don't think she did) or was involved in an affair.

If someone threw that toy tractor it could cause serious injuries. Even if a child was holding it waving it around they could cause injury if they whopped someone on the head with it accidentally. Imagine her son lying in his cot or on a change table waving it around while Joan was changing him and he accidentally hit her with it. Head wounds do bleed profusely even if the wound is superficial. If Joan had an anesthetic when at the dentist that could cause her to bleed even more. I like your scenario with the roll of paper. It never looked like a paper towel roll but I couldn't figure out why it was on the floor without knowing where its home was.

I know I've said it before way back in the threads but I know for a fact that back in those days the idea of preserving a possible crime scene was sadly lacking in LE circles. Numerous cops have traipsed through crime scenes, even those who are not actively investigating it, because they could. They picked stuff up and didn't return it to its original place, the tromped over existing footprints, used the bannisters going up and down stairs effectively obliterating any useable prints.

I don't know what happened to Joan. Posters have come up with many viable scenarios which probably have already been thought of by LE. One thing that always troubles me when reading about possible crime scenes like this, a respectable middle class woman with a sterling reputation, is that many of the articles related to this possible crime scene, talk about a woman preserving her honour as if to banish the idea that JS could have manufactured her own disappearance (which I don't think she did) or was involved in an affair.
Good points! That would explain a lot of the blood evidence and possibly her confusion.

"Preserving her honor” to me means she was trying not to be raped.

"Preserving her honor” to me means she was trying not to be raped.

Yes, I'm aware that's what they were referring to. But I always get the impression that some people think dying preserving your honour is better than being fouled by the act of rape. I worked with a guy who's cousin got raped walking back to her residence while attending university in Ontario. Instead of providing a safe harbour to her, her family shunned her and she killed herself. The guy confided that her committing suicide preserved their honour and obliterated the shame she brought to her family. Needless to say, I was gobsmacked.

Yes, I'm aware that's what they were referring to. But I always get the impression that some people think dying preserving your honour is better than being fouled by the act of rape. I worked with a guy who's cousin got raped walking back to her residence while attending university in Ontario. Instead of providing a safe harbour to her, her family shunned her and she killed herself. The guy confided that her committing suicide preserved their honour and obliterated the shame she brought to her family. Needless to say, I was gobsmacked.
Gross.

risch_joan4.jpg

Joan Carolyn Risch, age 30, missing since 24 October 1961

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member