Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't seem to be a kidnapping in any traditional sense. I think the odds of her being in serious danger are rather low. I query whether amber alerts should really be used in situations like this.
I beg to differ. She is not of age to consent. She is being manipulated by a grown man. Furthermore, this likely knows that he is in very deep doo doo. He's armed. It's the perfect storm for a murder-suicide. I hate to be so blunt, but I feel this is a dangerous line of thinking. This AA is absolutely necessary, and hopefully it saves her life! She's going to need a lot of support going forward after this entire ordeal.

Got alerts on my phone in Mississippi. Following and praying. Come home Mary Catherine.

OK her instagram bio says "married" -- is this new?!

Seems to be. Says "wife." There are some states where a 15 year old girl can get married to an adult male. Questionable how much legal protection that will provide him at this point.

Edit: I should reiterate that sending an amber alert for this case really undercuts the whole purpose of the AA system, imho.

Seems to be. Says "wife." There are some states where a 15 year old girl can get married to an adult male. Questionable how much legal protection that will provide him at this point.

Edit: I should reiterate that sending an amber alert for this case really undercuts the whole purpose of the AA system, imho.

Why exactly does this undercut the whole purpose of the AA system???

Sure, this case is all about the love -- NOT. She is a CHILD. These are not star-crossed lovers. He is a freaking manipulative pedophile, and to sit back and "not pass judgment"... SMDH People ar now going so far overboard to be "inclusive" and PC about every type of behavior, it truly makes me ill. I hope you don't get to a situation where something/someone you feel strongly about has been put in jeopardy, only to find people think it's OK / "I don't blame them" while you try to pick up the pieces of a damaged life.

You know, the media has made several attempts to normalize the behavior of pedophiles in the past couple of years -- pity them, they suffer so and only want love. Just average Joes like you and me. I am SO over this wonderful, accepting, hug-it-out mentality that minimizes risk to our citizens, then after the damage is done, asks "how could this happen?" with wide Bambi eyes.

I truly cannot believe what I'm reading here.

Maybe you missed the part of my post where I stated that she needs to be brought home and he needs to be arrested?

I am in no way trying to normalize pedophilia. I deeply apologize my post was perceived so...

His actions are inappropriate and extremely creepy. And he needs to be arrested.

I said I didn't blame them when I took at the situation from their or more so her perspective. This is a case about "love" if she left willing, does not want to go home, and eloped as her SM seems to indicate. In these circumstances I said I was trying not to pass too much judgement even though I am-- I think he's creepy and deserves to be arrested.

My great grandma ran away with her teacher (30 years older than her), the fell madly in love, got married, and had two kids (my grandfather). They lived happily for 25 years until she left him for a hippie -- LOL. My great gma lived her life the way she wanted no matter what people thought of her (or him). My great gpa wasn't a pedophile, he fell in love with a young girl who was mature beyond her years, incredibly intellectual (border line genius), and wildly free spirited.

So that's why I said what I said. My family history and my post is in no way trying to justify his actions or this inappropriate behavior. I was simply speaking about the situation from what is potentially their point of view in a truly disturbing case.

From my perspective, I do blame HIM and she IS A CHILD and this is UNACCEPTABLE.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. And I hope you accept my apology for what seemed like "normalizing pedophilia".

Disagree strongly. Please STOP trying to normalize this situation!

AA is for known absconders where there is a known, clear description and the CHILD is in imminent danger. If you really think this is a benign situation, I frankly don't know why you're bothering posting, as it's the farthest thing from helpful short of offering these two a place to "honeymoon."

WTBLEEP?

I'd like to know which states because I was under the impression it was 18+ everywhere.

Younger can marry with parental consent. Additional exceptions are where a judge permits it.

Not to mention with him being 50 and her appearing as young as she truly is any clerk would be requesting additional information before issuing a marriage license. In his case likely proving he's never been married or showing proof of divorce.

I can't see it being as simple as the two of them just walking in and getting married anywhere in the U.S..

The "wife" icon is part of the fantasy that the man is using to control her emotions and actions. Based on her IG, to her, he is the ideal boyfriend and protector.

That puts this child in great danger which is exactly what the Amber Alert system is for.

For your sake, I hope you are just baiting for a response.

The above is my opinion only.

Why exactly does this undercut the whole purpose of the AA system???

I think to be successful, Amber Alerts should be reserved for cases where the victim is at serious immediate risk of injury/death. Using Amber Alerts in relatively mundane "abductions" like family disputes or runaways lessens their significance for the real emergencies.

Maybe you missed the part of my post where I stated that she needs to be brought home and he needs to be arrested?

I am in no way trying to normalize pedophilia. I deeply apologize my post was perceived so...

His actions are inappropriate and extremely creepy. And he needs to be arrested.

I said I didn't blame them when I took at the situation from their or more so her perspective. This is a case about "love" if she left willing, does not want to go home, and eloped as her SM seems to indicate. In these circumstances I said I was trying not to pass too much judgement even though I am-- I think he's creepy and deserves to be arrested.

My great grandma ran away with her teacher (30 years older than her), the fell madly in love, got married, and had two kids (my grandfather). They lived happily for 25 years until she left him for a hippie -- LOL. My great gma lived her life the way she wanted no matter what people thought of her (or him). My great gpa wasn't a pedophile, he fell in love with a young girl who was mature beyond her years, incredibly intellectual (border line genius), and wildly free spirited.

So that's why I said what I said. My family history and my post is in no way trying to justify his actions or this inappropriate behavior. I was simply speaking about the situation from what is potentially their point of view in a truly disturbing case.

From my perspective, I do blame HIM and she IS A CHILD and this is UNACCEPTABLE.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. And I hope you accept my apology for what seemed like "normalizing pedophilia".

Glad you clarified!

This doesn't seem to be a kidnapping in any traditional sense. I think the odds of her being in serious danger are rather low. I query whether amber alerts should really be used in situations like this.

I understand why the Amber Alert was used in this case. This man has obviously groomed this young girl and took total advantage of her age and vulnerability. She is under the impression that they are in a romantic relationship. He should be feeling really desperate by this time and may be planning to kill himself and her as well if he is close to being captured. He has already decided to abandon his family, lost his job and is now on the run from the law. He may decide he has nothing to live for.

I think to be successful, Amber Alerts should be reserved for cases where the victim is at serious immediate risk of injury/death. Using Amber Alerts in relatively mundane "abductions" like family disputes or runaways lessens their significance for the real emergencies.

This victim IS at serious risk.

I can't believe what I'm reading here.

OK her instagram bio says "married" -- is this new?!

I think this just proves just how young and immature this girl really is. She probably thinks because they are together and having sex that they are married, maybe this creep did a silly little "play" ceremony to placate her young, little girl mind.

I understand why the Amber Alert was used in this case. This man has obviously groomed this young girl and took total advantage of her age and vulnerability. She is under the impression that they are in a romantic relationship. He should be feeling really desperate by this time and may be planning to kill himself and her as well if he is close to being captured. He has already decided to abandon his family, lost his job and is now on the run from the law. He may decide he has nothing to live for.
I agree except for it being obvious that the man has groomed the girl. Anyone at any age can become obsessed with another person for whatever reason. I agree this has a huge potential for danger to either or both of them. I just don't think we have enough evidence to say he was purposely manipulating her into it. JMO.

Just looked at his Instagram page. I would never guess that is the page of married grandpa. It seems so juvenile. It's kind of gross knowing what we know now.

I believe this is his method of the "grooming" process to gain the trust of his victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona