Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully someone will come forward with info about a friend, acquaintance or relative who drives this type of car and may have altered the vehicle somehow, e.g. painted, cleaned the inside, modified the doors or handles.

Hopefully someone will come forward with info about a friend, acquaintance or relative who drives this type of car and may have altered the vehicle somehow, e.g. painted, cleaned the inside, modified the doors or handles.
No "dramatic alteration needed" on that vehicle's child safety/auto locking device. I figured out how to disable it just by looking it up on google and ytube. Open the door and turn the o-ring/device on the side panel....apparently you can turn it 180 degrees and stop and/or enable the locking system. (A trick I used to make sure my husband always opened my door when we were dating! Could only be opened from the outside.... But that's just between us sleuthers, ok?)

There is no indication by LE that she knew her abductor, or that she alone was targeted. In fact, the opposite is true.

The urgency with which the FBI classified her missing person's case as a kidnapping, the way they put billboards up all over the Midwest, the fact that they mentioned they were still in the process of speaking with all of the owners of that kind of car, and the fact that they said they were looking for a white male who had approached other women, all indicate that she was selected at random, a chance occurrence of a bad person crossing her path while she was standing on the side of the road.

My friend has a car that I can not get out of on the passengers side unless she pushes a button to unlock all the doors. It is actually a really annoying feature because we pull up somewhere and I try to open the door and can't and have to sit and wait for her to push the button. I don't understand the purpose of this feature because children are supposed to be in the backseat. Anyway maybe his car has the same feature.

There is no indication by LE that she knew her abductor, or that she alone was targeted. In fact, the opposite is true.

The urgency with which the FBI classified her missing person's case as a kidnapping, the way they put billboards up all over the Midwest, the fact that they mentioned they were still in the process of speaking with all of the owners of that kind of car, and the fact that they said they were looking for a white male who had approached other women, all indicate that she was selected at random, a chance occurrence of a bad person crossing her path while she was standing on the side of the road.

Yes. This.

I totally agree with this analysis. However I'm curious- why is LE saying there is no danger to the public if this really was random?

This isn't completely accurate. The police have labeled the case a kidnapping but haven't ruled out other scenarios. What they know is YZ got into a car and didn't return.

The FBI is treating this as a kidnapping and a national priority. They are offering a reward of $10,000 but neither they or the police know who took YZ or whether it could be someone she knew at least in passing. They must fully investigate in order to have the best chance of finding her.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...search-for-yingying-zhang-20170623-story.html

:stop:

Stop sleuthing Yingying's roommate, boyfriend, family, and friends.

Do not post links to anyone's social media other than Yingying or the approved Find Yingying FB page.

No one has been named a suspect or a POI in this case.

Do not make insinuations based on Yingying's ethnicity to imply that she was kidnapped based on that. There is no indication from LE at this time that Yingying was kidnapped because of her ethnicity or culture. Some of the posts I'm reading here are quite frankly racist.

Websleuths is a victim-friendly forum. That means Yingying and her family are all victims unless LE tells us otherwise.

Posts have been removed and I will be doing more cleanup in this thread. Keep it up and you may lose posting privileges.

Is a Stun gun the same as a Taser? I have been Tased multiple locations from my butt to my neck, it never knocked me out. Do they make them stronger these days or something? Now a RACC belt I can see fearing, as it will down you, but I hear often about Stun guns and their effects and I am shocked, they must be higher voltage these days or something. Does anyone know what the odds are of one actually rendering someone incapacitated? IMHO

Is a Stun gun the same as a Taser? I have been Tased multiple locations from my butt to my neck, it never knocked me out. Do they make them stronger these days or something? Now a RACC belt I can see fearing, as it will down you, but I hear often about Stun guns and their effects and I am shocked, they must be higher voltage these days or something. Does anyone know what the odds are of one actually rendering someone incapacitated? IMHO
Your comment surprises me because I've heard a taser will incapacitate a woman (knock her out.)

I have no reason to believe this is or isn't related to Yingying. But it's local breaking news that could be of importance; something to keep an eye on? Paris is roughly an hour south of CU.
ed9c1d223f69236660953a86b4c2ff0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Your question was posed in the FAQ section of the UIPD webpage regarding this case.

The FBI poster says “kidnapping.” Have police confirmed it was a kidnapping?

While we categorize this as a missing person case, the FBI may use different terminology to categorize its investigations, and kidnapping is one possibility of many that we are pursuing. At this point in the investigation, there is no way to confirm exactly what happened, and we are not ruling anything out.
Link: http://police.illinois.edu/search-updates/#faqs

I think that answer is pretty crucial.

- Nick

A stun gun and taser are different. A stun gun is reliant upon a, "contact stun," where the current directly strikes the body.

A taser is actually the name of a product. The product is manufactured by Taser International. This is what law enforcement officers carry, predominantly. The taser uses a cartridge style prong delivery mechanism, no contact is needed with the weapon itself.

I have no reason to believe this is or isn't related to Yingying. But it's local breaking news that could be of importance; something to keep an eye on? Paris is roughly an hour south of CU.
ed9c1d223f69236660953a86b4c2ff0c.jpg

Hmm. That house is on the corner of West Van Buren and Hunter Street. The black cars look like they are in a driveway, but that is actually West Van Buren. The lot that the little black car (not an Astra, btw) is in looks like an old garage, so it looks like the house in question is the one pictured, and facing Hunter Street. Unless, of course, the house is much further down West Van Buren and that is just where LE set up shop.

Interesting that a Champaign news organization that has been tracking her disappearance posted that as potentially relevant. News outlets will typically have some off-the-record background info before they do something like that. We will see.

Portabella...I have never been tased or stun gunned, so I am absolutely fascinated about your experience. You wrote "it never knocked me out." Okay, but did it hinder your ability to move freely? I.e. when it happened, could you have been vulnerable to a further attack/injury? Does a person's size have an affect on the outcome? .. asking if the same amount of voltage used on a 220lb person be more devastating for someone weighing only 100lbs?? (and feel free to ignore my questions if it brings back bad memories, ok.)

Hmm. That house is on the corner of West Van Buren and Hunter Street. The black cars look like they are in a driveway, but that is actually West Van Buren. The lot that the little black car (not an Astra, btw) is in looks like an old garage, so it looks like the house in question is the one pictured, and facing Hunter Street. Unless, of course, the house is much further down West Van Buren and that is just where LE set up shop.

Interesting that a Champaign news organization that has been tracking her disappearance posted that as potentially relevant. News outlets will typically have some off-the-record background info before they do something like that. We will see.
To clarify, the news source did not speculate that this was related to Yingying. I suggested that it may be due to the deployment of the swat team. I've heard of situations where they have been called out to domestic disputes involving a gun or for someone who may be suicidal with a gun... But it's rare, especially in a small town like Paris.

I hope they are making an arrest in Yingying's case, but I doubt that's the case. I think the FBI and ATF would be present if there were some kind of standoff with a suspect in her case.

If so, then a few days ago the FBI's words at the press conference would mean the perp knew her. I believe Mr. Holloway said : "We are not at what we were when this investigation started". So the FBI thought this crime was random, but it turns out to be that she was targeted by someone she knew.

Your question was posed in the FAQ section of the UIPD webpage regarding this case.

Link: http://police.illinois.edu/search-updates/#faqs

I think that answer is pretty crucial.

- Nick

That's the UIPD, not the FBI. One has an obligation to protect the reputation of a university, the other does not. Ven is right here. So many indicators of a random target (apart from being a young girl)<modsnip>.

Also,

If so, then a few days ago the FBI's words at the press conference would mean the perp knew her. I believe Mr. Holloway said : "We are not at what we were when this investigation started". So the FBI thought this crime was random, but it turns out to be that she was targeted by someone she knew.

This literally just means they've made progress in the investigation. Not sure how you're jumping to that conclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member