GUILTY Fl - Dan Markel, 41, Fsu Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #5 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I don't doubt that justice will eventually be served but as I've said many times before - it's going to be a long, hard slog.
Good, I'm glad to hear that. But I don't mind the cynical view because I'm right there with you.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I think this is a case where money talks and money prevails.

Why would KM stay in jail this long, away from her children, to eventually turn and tell all that she knows? Something has her scared to death.

At this point, I don't see any of the A's being arrested. Their money is too powerful and they will remain free. IMO.

Why would KM stay in jail this long, away from her children, to eventually turn and tell all that she knows? Something has her scared to death.

At this point, I don't see any of the A's being arrested. Their money is too powerful and they will remain free. IMO.

Sadly, I think you are right.

Maybe being in jail is a rest from family issues (on both sides). Maybe she didn't care about being a parent or it's possible she's relieved to no longer have that responsibility.
Child rearing is a tough business.

Maybe being in jail is a rest from family issues (on both sides). Maybe she didn't care about being a parent or it's possible she's relieved to no longer have that responsibility.
Child rearing is a tough business.

I don't think anyone would sign up to sit in jail indefinitely. Jail is not a fun place. IMO KM's attorneys have her convinced that they will get her off scot-free and that she'll get a big financial reward courtesy of the alleged masterminds for her trouble at the end if it. <modsnip>

[h=1]Murder of FSU law professor reaches third-year anniversary
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Markel-shooting-reaches-third-year-anniversary-435279253.html[/h]Crass statement from KM's legal team -- WHICH COMPLETELY CONTRADICTS ITSELF -- in the span of 3 sentences!!!

"Below is a statement from her defense attorney, Christopher DeCoste, in its entirety:

"On this anniversary, instead of again proclaiming our client&#8217;s innocence, we'd rather address the community that lost a son. Through our extensive investigation we&#8217;ve learned many things, including something many of you already know. Dan Markel was a great man, a brilliant scholar and a loving father. Current legal battles aside, his untimely passing is tragic. Sadly, the prosecution is trying to extend the margins of this tragedy to include the life of Katherine Magbanua, who had absolutely nothing to do with this heinous act. They&#8217;re doing this to pressure her into lying for them to further their own exotic case theory designed to catch the media&#8217;s attention, not uncover the truth.&#8221;

Murder of FSU law professor reaches third-year anniversary
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Markel-shooting-reaches-third-year-anniversary-435279253.html

Crass statement from KM's legal team -- WHICH COMPLETELY CONTRADICTS ITSELF -- in the span of 3 sentences!!!

"Below is a statement from her defense attorney, Christopher DeCoste, in its entirety:

"On this anniversary, instead of again proclaiming our client&#8217;s innocence, we'd rather address the community that lost a son. Through our extensive investigation we&#8217;ve learned many things, including something many of you already know. Dan Markel was a great man, a brilliant scholar and a loving father. Current legal battles aside, his untimely passing is tragic. Sadly, the prosecution is trying to extend the margins of this tragedy to include the life of Katherine Magbanua, who had absolutely nothing to do with this heinous act. They&#8217;re doing this to pressure her into lying for them to further their own exotic case theory designed to catch the media&#8217;s attention, not uncover the truth.&#8221;

i'm reminded of this quote by Joe Patrice again -

"That a pair of career criminals would drive hundreds of miles to assassinate a law professor who just happens to be involved in a dispute with the employers of the gunman&#8217;s girlfriend? What random happenstance! Yes, that does sound like a soap opera. Or at least an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. And yet DeCoste contends it&#8217;s the idea that there may be a connection that is &#8220;preposterous&#8221; and &#8220;wholly unreliable.&#8221;"

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/02/the-...efense-attorneys-dismiss-it-all-as-fake-news/

[h=1]Murder of FSU law professor reaches third-year anniversary
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Markel-shooting-reaches-third-year-anniversary-435279253.html[/h]Crass statement from KM's legal team -- WHICH COMPLETELY CONTRADICTS ITSELF -- in the span of 3 sentences!!!

HAHAHAHA And the moon is made of cheese!

In response to KM's attorney's statement, I'm just going to re-post something I posted back in February, and which I still believe to this day, perhaps more strongly:

The statements by the attorneys for the As and KM do absolutely nothing to convince me of their innocence. They seem to be highly skilled defense attorneys, and are doing everything they can for their clients -- as they should. But their statements to the Sun-Sentinel just emphasize that they are thinking solely like defense attorneys preparing for an argument before a jury, with a single goal: creating reasonable doubt in the mind of at least one juror. All they have to do in that context is poke holes in the state's case. The burden of proof always remains on the state, and the defense is under no obligation to tell a convincing story (or, actually, to say anything at all).

But the public reading these articles (and this message board) are not jurors. We're entitled to think like normal human beings who simply want to know: What happened? What's the truth here? The evidence seems indisputable that SG and LR drove from Miami to Tallahassee and murdered DM. Given that truth, why? There was no robbery. SG and LR had no direct relationship with DM. They were not doing a drug deal with him. They had no reason to be angry with him. The pair's only connection with DM was that SG's ex was romantically involved with CA, whose sister used to be married to DM, and whose family had a motive to get DM out of the picture so that WA would be free to move to Miami with her kids.

I'd love for these reporters to ask the attorneys for the As and KM: What is your theory for why SG and LR killed DM? Why did they do it if not for the benefit of the As? There's been some speculation that they will argue that it was some sort of plot to extort the As. But how would that work? SG and KM plot to kill DM without the As' involvement, and then, once it's done, go to the As and demand payment in return for their silence? But that's absurd. For the extortion threat to be real, there would need to be a credible threat that the plotters would turn in the As to LE if they didn't pay. But the problem with that theory is that it would require the plotters to implicate themselves, thus subjecting themselves to lengthy prison sentences or even the death penalty. That's ridiculous. Again, the only remotely plausible theory for DM's murder that's been floated is that it was done for the benefit of the As. (I should say that, while I think it's possible that WA was involved in, or had foreknowledge of, the plot, the publicly-released evidence of such is extremely thin at this point, and certainly not enough for the state to obtain a conviction.)

Again, the attorneys for the As and KM have no obligation to tell a coherent story of DM's murder. But their utter failure to do so is telling, and, as people looking at this situation as human beings rather than jurors, we are perfectly free, based on their failure, as well as the extensive evidence that's been released to date, to draw conclusions of guilt.

Cappleman said: "It's hard to say how long it will be before everyone involved is held accountable, but I do believe that will happen."

http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Markel-shooting-reaches-third-year-anniversary-435279253.html

From the article.
attachment.php

:rose::rose::rose:
"It's amazing. It really doesn't seem that long," said Markel's neighbor and friend Reggie Garcia. "Not a week goes by that one of the neighbors doesn't ask or comment, 'What's going on?'"

FSU Law professor Dan Markel was shot at point blank range in his garage before he could even get out of the driver's seat of his car.

"The driver's side window is all bashed in and he's got blood all over his head,"
a neighbor said in the 911 call.

The first arrests came nearly two years later, as Tallahassee Police revealed details of an alleged murder-for-hire plot. The suspected motive, court papers say, was a custody fight between Markel and his ex-wife over their two children.

"It's quite chilling from a humanity standpoint," Reggie Garcia said. "It's still mind boggling."
rbbm.

Attachments

• Markel2.jpg
    Markel2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 157
this really pisses me off (not your comment, but that they will get away w it. entitled herd of crap)

I'm guessing she knows that even if she gives the Markels up, she isn't getting out of jail or prison for many, many years. So she's playing the long game and using her leverage when there is the most on the table.

I'm guessing she knows that even if she gives the Markels up, she isn't getting out of jail or prison for many, many years. So she's playing the long game and using her leverage when there is the most on the table.

IMO -

i think KM could cut a deal with the State for 7 years minus time served - which is effectively what LR got - if she agrees to testify against the alleged masterminds and SG. i think it's a realistic deal for her and reasonable to all sides. i also think the DM's family would be OK with it if it leads to the arrest and conviction of the alleged masterminds. it sounds like Cappleman wants to cut a deal and get a proffer. my BIG concern is that her attorneys will not even consider it and are shutting out the possibility because they are not acting in her best interest because of what the State has defined as a conflict of interest. i feel that they would even turn down an immunity deal at this point. i have no problem with defense attorneys vigorously defending their clients and fighting for the best deal for them but i have a huge problem IF attorneys have a conflict of interest and are dirty. i hope that the Court gets to the bottom of it soon.

In response to KM's attorney's statement, I'm just going to re-post something I posted back in February, and which I still believe to this day, perhaps more strongly:

I remember this -thoughtful and solid analysis.

IMO -

i have no problem with defense attorneys vigorously defending their clients and fighting for the best deal for them but i have a huge problem IF attorneys have a conflict of interest and are dirty. i hope that the Court gets to the bottom of it soon.

Well, tomorrow morning they're in court for 4 hours on this topic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500