NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sept 2012 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this was discussed here earlier- but regarding ETJ....does anyone know if his apartment had a vantage point of Karena's, so he would be able to see her comings and goings? Also, was the restraining order still active when Faith's murder occurred? There's something about his mannerisms when he was interviewed - he kept touching his chin...maybe it was nervousness. Maybe he decided that morning he would attack this head on to lead LE to believe he wasn't involved- make some sympathetic statements, hang around the crime scene, etc.

I know he has been cleared as far as DNA, but maybe a friend was over visiting that night, they are drinking, they see Karena leave and know about the one key for the apartment thing. ETJ's DNA is already probably all over that apartment so it might be hard to tie HIM to the crime scene but he could have been an accomplice...

The restraining order against ETJ was still active at time of crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies if this was discussed here earlier- but regarding ETJ....does anyone know if his apartment had a vantage point of Karena's, so he would be able to see her comings and goings? Also, was the restraining order still active when Faith's murder occurred?

His building was very close. It wasn't the one right across from hers, but it was the one immediately to the north of it. He would not have had a view just from his deck or anything but from the street in front, yes.

The protective order was still in place. That's talked about in the released documents- they told him to leave the crime scene tape at one point because KR was returning to the apartment and he had to be a certain distance away from her.

In the episode she's talking about that's exactly what happened as far as I remember. Creepy guys kept showing up to this lady's house randomly out the blue cause of the Craigslist ad her ex's girlfriend kept putting up. (Totally unrelated but I think in the end they were actually framing the ex-girlfriend).

I don't think the Craigslist scenario is likely, but anything is possible at this point. You would really have to piss somebody off for them to even consider trying to pull off something like this. Maybe the LE knows of some other people who might have been mad with Faith, but I guess that's just another detail we can only speculate about.

Despite the note on the TimeOut bag, I think I'm in the group that believes this was a random person (mostly) unknown to her. Like someone else said - a robber just trying doors.

The only things that keep me from totally buying the "random person trying doors" thing is that she was killed with a liquor bottle...there was another bottle (wine?) in the room, too. Bottles that Karena says were not in the room before she left. That almost makes me think Faith was playing hostess to a visitor. Of course that's possibly (probably?) totally wrong, but I have always thought that the bottles came into the bedroom (or at least out of the cupboard) under the guise of having a drink together, and ended up being murder weapons when things went horribly awry. Otherwise... if they were just weapons of opportunity, why grab two when just one would suffice?

His building was very close. It wasn't the one right across from hers, but it was the one immediately to the north of it. He would not have had a view just from his deck or anything but from the street in front, yes.

The protective order was still in place. That's talked about in the released documents- they told him to leave the crime scene tape at one point because KR was returning to the apartment and he had to be a certain distance away from her.

IIR the layout, he would certainly have been able to watch for cars coming and going toward the apartment, right?

Happy birthday, Faith[emoji170]❤️[emoji171]
63c4776bd751d2ffc4d41337bd5ad514.jpg

The only things that keep me from totally buying the "random person trying doors" thing is that she was killed with a liquor bottle...there was another bottle (wine?) in the room, too. Bottles that Karena says were not in the room before she left. That almost makes me think Faith was playing hostess to a visitor. Of course that's possibly (probably?) totally wrong, but I have always thought that the bottles came into the bedroom (or at least out of the cupboard) under the guise of having a drink together, and ended up being murder weapons when things went horribly awry. Otherwise... if they were just weapons of opportunity, why grab two when just one would suffice?

Definitely plausible. Hadn't thought of that.

Apologies if this was discussed here earlier- but regarding ETJ....does anyone know if his apartment had a vantage point of Karena's, so he would be able to see her comings and goings? Also, was the restraining order still active when Faith's murder occurred? There's something about his mannerisms when he was interviewed - he kept touching his chin...maybe it was nervousness. Maybe he decided that morning he would attack this head on to lead LE to believe he wasn't involved- make some sympathetic statements, hang around the crime scene, etc.

I know he has been cleared as far as DNA, but maybe a friend was over visiting that night, they are drinking, they see Karena leave and know about the one key for the apartment thing. ETJ's DNA is already probably all over that apartment so it might be hard to tie HIM to the crime scene but he could have been an accomplice...
iirc there is no direct line of sight from ETJs apt to KRs. But I wonder if he may have been able to see their comings and goings. For example, there goes my ex girlfriend with another guy at 4:30am. That could set off his rage against FH. I don't have any plausible explanation yet for how he could be the perp if his DNA was cleared. Actually I believe in the 2020 special Lehew says none of the DNA in the apt matched ETJ. I remember thinking that's weird since he supposedly lived there with KR.

In my experience, it's pretty hard not to care or be at all jealous within months of a break-up. You may not want to be in the relationship anymore, but you certainly don't want to know your ex has seemingly moved on, and you definitely do not want to know about 4:30 AM bootie calls. It would be hard to squelch the impulse to observe what is going on at an ex's that is so closeby. I would bet he heard through the grapevine about their trip to The Thrill and was aware of when they came back, at a minimum. That's why ETJ is the perfect suspect in almost every respect, except for the DNA. He is the ideal Agatha Christie red herring. It's so weird and hard to get past.

Thanks for the replies. Initially I didn't think of ETJ as a leading suspect but it has certainly intrigued me more of late. I added in the notion of "a friend" hanging out with him (and committing the murder) because of course ETJ's DNA was cleared.

I still have a lot of issues with KR and her behavior- namely that she never attended any vigils, the funeral, anything. People go to those out of respect and love for the person who has passed, plus doing so would have openly showed that she cared about Faith to outsiders. If they were "close friends", how could she not? Just seems bizarre. Unless possibly her lawyer told her not to but I don't see how that would help her case in the court of public opinion. I also think her nonchalance during the 911 call and afterwards - returning to class and living at The View afterwards - to me rules out the random act of violence theory. Wouldn't she fear for her life that this maniac would break in again and rape/kill her? So if ETJ is involved, and she knows he is, perhaps that's the bond of fear as to why she won't talk based on his temper and prior threats

Just to show what is possible, one of the more horrifying episodes of Forensic Files involved a case that took place 10 years before and about 25 minutes away. A guy who walked his dog at night became obsessed with a woman who lived in his neighborhood. He hid in her closet one night while she was out and raped and murdered her when she returned. When searching his place they found evidence that he had killed a woman previously in Michigan. It took a few years for LE to look at him seriously in the NC case (there was DNA but he wasn't a suspect until it was a cold case). He may have gotten away with the Michigan murder entirely if he hadn't saved the murder weapon and some of her mail.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1091357/

Just to show what is possible, one of the more horrifying episodes of Forensic Files involved a case that took place 10 years before and about 25 minutes away. A guy who walked his dog at night became obsessed with a woman who lived in his neighborhood. He hid in her closet one night while she was out and raped and murdered her when she returned. When searching his place they found evidence that he had killed a woman previously in Michigan. It took a few years for LE to look at him seriously in the NC case (there was DNA but he wasn't a suspect until it was a cold case). He may have gotten away with the Michigan murder entirely if he hadn't saved the murder weapon and some of her mail.

That case has haunted me for years. I lived in the same complex as Stephanie. I waited tables at the time before Drew's arrest and waited on Drew a couple times. I remember how odd he was.

I remember that case, too. The one I referenced last week was sort of similar. The rapist was caught after raping several women. His MO was to pick them out at random and stalk them, sometimes entering their apartments multiple times undetected before striking. Then, he'd pick a time when they were alone to carry out the rape. During the rapes, he would tell them where they went wrong from a safety perspective ("you should always draw your curtains at night... you should always arm your alarm system"). He was caught by dumb luck because his truck was caught on video. But here's the insane part: one of the searches turned up photos of a rape victim in another state, naked, tied up, and with her ID clearly visible. When the investigators called LE in her town in Washington State, it came to light that she had reported the crime, reported having had her photo taken, and they did not believe her, so they charged her with false reporting and she paid a fine of $500. She was an 18-year-old fresh out of the foster care system IIR. Her story was absolutely true.

He owned up to the crimes they had evidence of and agreed to talk to investigators about what makes him tick, but the investigators found an encrypted hard drive that they have not been able to unencrypt, that they think may have evidence of more crimes -- maybe more serious crimes (murder) or evidence of a co-conspirator. You cannot make this stuff up.

https://www.propublica.org/article/false-rape-accusations-an-unbelievable-story

:bump:

[video=youtube;RlOsmxV433Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlOsmxV433Q[/video]

That case has haunted me for years. I lived in the same complex as Stephanie. I waited tables at the time before Drew's arrest and waited on Drew a couple times. I remember how odd he was.

Holy hell. You know the rest of story as well then (I didn't get into what happened after he was arrested), unbelievable that you actually had to interact with him.

Just watching that episode of FF a couple times has haunted me.

Holy hell. You know the rest of story as well then (I didn't get into what happened after he was arrested), unbelievable that you actually had to interact with him.

Just watching that episode of FF a couple times has haunted me.

What season/episode is it?

attachment.php

OK, my contribution for today was going to the complex and looking into ETJ's sightlines. This is going to complicate some theories.
Above, I've got the overview of the two buildings highlighted in white. ETJ's is the one to the north, FH and KR's to the south. The red dot is FH and KR's door, green is ETJ's parking lot, and yellow is his door and deck.
I'll attach pictures in a following post, but Faith's building can only be seen AT ALL from the blue dot's location. From his parking lot, it is obscured by trees. ETJ's apartment, 904, was on the back side of his building, so not only could he not see their apartment, he couldn't even see the road going to it. The only place near his building where their building could be seen is at that curb (blue dot), and it would be weird and awkward for someone to just be standing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn