Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.15.17 - Day 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Millard pulls up a photo of a 1968 red Camaro. He asks Schlatman what he got him for a wedding present?

Schlatman tells the jury Millard bought him half a Camaro. But Schlatman wanted it for himself, so he bought out Millard.

Another photo, of another woman sitting on the steps of a small airplane. Millard asks if Schlatman recognizes the woman. He does not.

Millard, "Is that Christina Noudga?"

Schlatman responds, "It doesn't appear to be."

Another photo of the above woman, now she's hanging off a yellow Jeep.

Millard, "Is that Christina Noudga?"

Schlatman repeats, "doesn't appear to be."

by Shannon Martin 4:28 PM

what's his point...that he's a man *advertiser censored* (moo)

The stuff he's asking has nothing to do with any of SS's testimony.

What is he doing? I thought he had to cross on testimony that was already presented. What does this have to do with SS's testimony?

Sounds like he just wants to reminisce about the good old days.

Reviewing the timeline, the day after the body was presumably burned, DM texted with SS about the incinerator not working, needing a bigger generator, etc. Then, two days later in July 26, he was contacted by SL about Laura being missing, and the next day met up with him. Then he went to Croatia around August 5-17.

I wonder if he was spooked by SL's identifying him as the last person to be in contact with LB. Waited a bit to see if police were going to question him. Finally, decided to do another burn. I think SS was probably more knowledgable abiut how to fill a propane tank, I'm not sure DM would be any good at that. And he wouldn't want to be around when SS did it, so he wouldn't have to answer questions.

I can't image (did I just say that? who can?) that he would go away to Croatia having any worry about what might be left inside that machine.

Another text from Millard to Schlatman: "is the bobcat trailer there? put its plate on the bbq"

We heard earlier Millard's nickname for the incinerator was 'BBQ'

Crown Lockhart now shows a photo of the incinerator mounted onto a trailer, which is hooked up to a GMC Yukon.

by Shannon Martin 2:45 PM

And SS would never question getting a legit plate??

Sounds like he just wants to reminisce about the good old days.

Agreed 100%. I wonder what kind of exit package that SS received when the company wound down?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or using this platform to get revenge on CN for betraying him, showing that he had lots of other women.

Millard to Schlatman:

"I wasn't the kind of boss afraid to get dirty? I didn't put myself above my employees? I was willing to be a guy who took out the garbage?"

Schlatman agrees.

Millard now talks about actual garbage. He asks Schlatman how many bags a week they tossed. About five to six industrial size.

Millard, "Did I say what I was doing with the garbage? Taking it to the dump? Burning it? Taking it to the farm?"

Schlatman says Millard never said.

by Shannon Martin 4:37 PM

Millard to Schlatman:

"I wasn't the kind of boss afraid to get dirty? I didn't put myself above my employees? I was willing to be a guy who took out the garbage?"

Schlatman agrees.

Millard now talks about actual garbage. He asks Schlatman how many bags a week they tossed. About five to six industrial size.

Millard, "Did I say what I was doing with the garbage? Taking it to the dump? Burning it? Taking it to the farm?"

Schlatman says Millard never said.

by Shannon Martin 4:37 PM

I am SO glad he cleared that up. I can't believe I ever doubted that he had a reasonable use for a $15 000 animal incinerator with a 500lb capacity and a google search of the temperature cremation happens.
It all makes perfect logical sense now......... or something.

Lisa Hepfner‏
@HefCHCHNews

A group Schlatman called "the Spaniards" were workers for #Millard who specialized in construction. They included a few men with Spanish-sounding names, Schlatman says, like Javier Villada.

Millard always prioritized jobs for Schlatman, he agrees.

Millard says there were eight tractor trailers moving stuff from the old hangar to the new hangar. Schlatman identifies himself in one of the photos. "That would be me."

Another picture shows Mark #Smich standing beside a GMC boom truck. #Smich is holding a power washer. "It appears he's washing the boom truck." Schlatman remembers changing the cylinder heads on that truck. Took weeks.

Boom truck was rusty, "older, needed engine work. You did the engine work." Schlatman agrees. Next photo shows boom truck "painted up." Front end loader parked next to it. Not an excavator, Schlatman tells judge. Different machine.

Front end loader was also rusty when they first got it. #Millard says #Smich would clean and paint machinery at the hangar. "He did that as well, yes," Schlatman agrees.

Next image is the excavator (not the front end loader) at "the farm property," where it was kept. "I took it into the woods, knocked down some trees," #Millard says he was trying to create a road through the swamp. "An excavator is not a bulldozer though, is it?"

Millard destroyed the engine the first time, and that was their relationship, "you tended to fix machines I would break," Schlatman agrees.

Schlatman was working at a 4x4 shop when he met #Millard & was hired to work for Millard on weekends, building a jeep for the Baja race. He was only working Saturdays for Millard at that point.

Wide shot of hangar full of vehicles; planes, cars, forklift etc. Also people set up in the middle "for band practice." This is the Toronto hangar where Schlatman first worked for #Millard.

It was Wayne #Millard who signed his paycheques, #Millard says, although Schlatman doesn't remember that. When he went to Waterloo Dellen #Millard was signing his cheques. Schlatman doesn't remember whose name was on his cheques.

Did Schlatman look at the ownerships for all these vehicles (in the hangar?) No. He doesn't actually know who owned the machinery. His job was to repair the machinery, he agrees.

Next photo shows Millard and a woman and a cat. "I believe that was an upstairs office at the Toronto hangar." Millard was with Jenn in the picture. Schlatman didn't know if #Millard would bring Jenn or Christina Noudga to his wedding.

Millard gave Schlatman half a Camaro for a wedding gift. He bought out the other half of the car. Schlatman had a thing for 67 or 68 Camaros at the time. It was a '68. He doesn't have it anymore.

Schlatman doesn't know if #Millard ever bought anyone else half a car before.

Now the photo of Marlena in the hangar, and now another woman sitting on the stairs of an airplane. Schlatman doesn't recognize "the girl in the image," he says.

Millard is going to zoom in on "the young lady." Is that Christina Noudga? Schlatman says it does not appear to be.

Back to the #Millard welding photo, reminding Schlatman that the crown zoomed in to see the other people in the background of the shot... Schlatman, Smich and Meneses.

Another photo has a young woman on a jeep. Same woman who was sitting on the plane."Not Christina Noudga, is it?" Doesn't appear that way to Schlatman.

Yellow jeep in the shot is the project Schlatman was originally hired for. Completely rebuilt dash. Little of the jeep is original.

The language in their text messages is consistent with the way the two would communicate, Schlatman agrees. They would shake hands, not bump fists. He didn't say things like, "what's up ?" to Schlatman.

The red visa was a card #Millard got for Schlatman. "It came with instructions on how to use it," Millard says. It was used for parts, steel, business payments. "In relation to your work as a ground service technician," Schlatman agrees he didn't use the card for personal uses.

"It was always business related." "Did I tell you the reason for that was taxes? No. You're not an accountant. You're not a bookkeeper. Schlatman agrees he is not.

Millard wasn't a boss who put himself above his employees, he says. He got dirty. Moved garbage. "Large, industrial, extra thick garbage bags."

Five-6 construction worker bags of garbage left the hangar every week, #Millard says. He didn't specify how he got rid of the garbage, Schlatman agrees.

Millard would pick up garbage whenever he was there, "if it got out of hand, I would text you and you would come and get it," Schlatman says.

Schlatman says the farm is about 15-20km from the hangar. 10-15 minute drive. Farm is closer to the highway than the hangar, #Millard says

Millard will finish his cross tomorrow. #LauraBabcock trial done for day.

And SS would never question getting a legit plate??

SS wouldn't question anything. This is someone who was aware DM was out on stealing sprees. He was going to create false compartments in his vehicles for him, so that he could smuggle in drugs. He warned DM that his FiL knew about TB's vehicle (the same vehicle he was working on to eliminate any trace of previous ownership). So an illegal plate was nothing to him.

The tweets and posts all make sense thanks - then good ole Dell starts a cross and I'm lost and confused 🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's for sure, especially when the other half is owned by weirdo DM!

For a rich kid, DM had zero social graces. He would have given him half a present so that he could keep SS under his control. Can you imagine Mrs SS's reaction? No toaster? No gift from the HBC registry? A gift that you actually have to pay for in order to receive! Brilliant and the part that is even crazier is the amount that he would have to pay back to DM would exceed the normal amount that one would spend on a gift for a colleague or mere 'acquaintance'.

I smell a rat!

Millard asks Justice Michael Code if we can end for the day, he's not as prepared as he'd like to be for his last line of questioning.

Code asks how much longer Millard will take. Millard estimates an hour, but he could be quicker if he has time tonight to prepare.

Justice Code agrees to conclude for the day.

We're back at 10 a.m. ET tomorrow.

We'll post a recap from the day a little later tonight. Thanks for all your comments and following along.

by Shannon Martin 4:44 PM

Well the way I'm reading it is Millard screwed up the burn as SS said and it was in the middle of her burn cycle? Anyone else getting this impression or am I way off?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

No way. We've seen the pic of what's burning inside. Very little in there. The burn is almost done. Something else was in there in August.

For a rich kid, DM had zero social graces. He would have given him half a present so that he could keep SS under his control. Can you imagine Mrs SS's reaction? No toaster? No gift from the HBC registry? A gift that you actually have to pay for in order to receive! Brilliant and the part that is even crazier is the amount that he would have to pay back to DM would exceed the normal amount that one would spend on a gift for a colleague or mere 'acquaintance'.

I smell a rat!

And the joke is that half a car.....not exactly a gift for the married couple. smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member