Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.17.17 - Day 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
She seems very much to be in her own little bubble.
She doesn't strike me as someone who has much awareness, social or otherwise.

DM seems to have kept MS away from certain social activities -- hangouts with SS, for example.
MS wasn't at LB's birthday, right? Stands to reason, then, that MM wouldn't have been, either.

If there was a party the night/before LB was killed, could it be possible that it was big enough that even if MM and LB were there together, that they didn't have contact/knowledge of each other?

Welcome to WS - you make some very good observations.

IMO She was the lookout.

4-5 hours (not sure of the # of hours) late at night in a dark, secluded area, and she is close to an enormous, roaring, metal crematorium, that is spitting embers?

I find it impossible to believe that she couldn't sense the gravity of the situation, even if she claims that she wasn't explicitly told what was taking place.

She claims she fell asleep.
If this behaviour wasn't out of the ordinary for her to witness, I feel she may very well have got stoned and passed out.

IMO they wouldn't have asked her to be a look out -- DM requested she not come in the first place, and I don't recall her ever being included in any "missions" previously.

Thank you! I thought there was mention somewhere about a purple blouse???

I don't recall, hence why I search everything, but if her dog was wearing a purple bow and collar it stands to reason she liked purple.

She said they got the ipad after the burn. Definitely she said. The burn was on the 23rd. The ipad was connected on the 4th.

Is it not possible that she used the iPad at DM's residence after the murder, but it didn't actually come into the possession of MS/MM until after the 23rd? Especially if she said she saw DM and MS deleting things from it? Surely DM wouldn't have handed it over hours after if there were things he wanted removed; even if it was renamed to Mark's iPad in the interim.

If you go back to Bill's super awesome timeline and reach the texts between Laura and AM in April 2012, I get the feeling AM had a thing for Laura and she wasn't interested. If that's the case and DM knew, AM likely didn't mind that instruction

I got the impression that AM had slept with LB too; as when AM texted the article to DM asking "what'd you do?" his reply was something to the effect of "made her come like you taught me she likes." (ie roughly.)

Could somebody provide some clarification?

Laura told her parents that she was going on a trip. When Dellen allegedly picked her up at the Kipling Station on July 3, did she believe that her and Dellen were going on a trip and was she packed up and ready to go?

Sorry once again I am way behind so someone else may have already answered this.

That is actually quite possible. Kipling station is fairly close to YYZ. Maybe that's why DM told MS to not be outside when they got to Maplegate. DM may have said "Oh I just have to go in and grab my bags before we go, just come in the house for a minute." I dunno. Just thinking out loud and all MOO.

I also wanted to add it seriously creeps me out that I possibly crossed paths with DM and/or MS a few times. In 2011 and 2012 I was living in Mississauga and my local Starbucks I always went to was the one SL met DM at. My old work was one of the wing joints that I am pretty sure DM and his crew went to. Another job I had, I commuted every day though Kipling station and that area.

Ick. It creeps me out the people you may cross paths with in a day and never know about it.

Welcome to WS - you make some very good observations.

Thank you kindly.
Been observing you all from the get-go of this trial, and figured I might as well get my feet wet.
Though, replying as I read through as opposed to after reading the forum in its entirety... I see I'm sharing some sentiments that have already been suggested.

Anyhow, thanks for the warm welcome. I am pleasantly surprised to see the amount of respect, consideration and careful thought you all seem to treat each other with. I look forward to many discussions with you all!

Just catching up. Thanks to all who posted tweets and the blog today. Interesting reading everyone's reactions to MM's testimony. It's nice to see the differing opinions without the nastiness that was directed towards Robert Burns.
I wonder who is left to testify for the crown?

She seems very much to be in her own little bubble.
She doesn't strike me as someone who has much awareness, social or otherwise.

DM seems to have kept MS away from certain social activities -- hangouts with SS, for example.
MS wasn't at LB's birthday, right? Stands to reason, then, that MM wouldn't have been, either.

If there was a party the night/before LB was killed, could it be possible that it was big enough that even if MM and LB were there together, that they didn't have contact/knowledge of each other?

I like where you’re going with this- it makes total sense to me that MM and LB never knew eachother. However, I think it’s been established that on Canada Day LB was at Rib Fest while MM was at the Maplegate party.

I also wanted to add it seriously creeps me out that I possibly crossed paths with DM and/or MS a few times. In 2011 and 2012 I was living in Mississauga and my local Starbucks I always went to was the one SL met DM at. My old work was one of the wing joints that I am pretty sure DM and his crew went to. Another job I had, I commuted every day though Kipling station and that area.

Ick. It creeps me out the people you may cross paths with in a day and never know about it.

I hear you. I saw our neighbourhood on one of the map links to DM's propane searches and it was enough to make my skin crawl. So much more so for those of you on here who had closer connections.

I have a question: if MS or DM were to testify, wouldn't the Crown be allowed to ask them about their prior convictions - wouldn't they have to say they were convicted of M1? Or if that would not be permitted, would they be able to ask about their occupations etc and the jury would see that they were in jail prior to being charged with LB's murder?

Good question! I don’t think the crown can ask any questions that would suggest the accused have prior convictions or have been in jail previously. It would be seen as prejudice and the jury can’t have that knowledge in order for them to make an unbiased decision.

My thoughts on today...

MMs story about being tired and sleeping reminds me of CNs bj story. Never any conversations on these long road trips to testify about.

If I were DM I’d have two questions; 1) were you at Maple Gate the night of July 3rd (we already know she was). 2) did you hear a gunshot? No more questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt they were talking about it what they did in front of her either way.

And regarding your questions... Her answer will be I don't remember to the first and who knows on the second.

Do you remember a loud bang that occurred a year ago?

I found today a bit of a letdown just because I was expecting some kind of bombshell from MM. I use the term letdown because I'm on the fence about whether there is quite enough evidence against MS for M1. Not enough for a slam dunk anyway. With what we've heard so far I think the jury might be out a while deciding on MS. Personally, it's still enough for me. Does anyone think there is another witness to be called that could drop some evidence that could make it a slam dunk against MS ? I was hoping MM would be the one.

I have a question: if MS or DM were to testify, wouldn't the Crown be allowed to ask them about their prior convictions - wouldn't they have to say they were convicted of M1? Or if that would not be permitted, would they be able to ask about their occupations etc and the jury would see that they were in jail prior to being charged with LB's murder?

The convictions re. TB's murder have been deemed prejudicial; anything related to the convictions, or directly and only to the murder itself, is inadmissable. I can't see that changing (if they testify) simply because the accused is now on the stand. You'll note that Dr. Rogers was not even able to testify that on a later occasion she retrieved confirmed human bones from the same incinerator.

I doubt they were talking about it what they did in front of her either way.

And regarding your questions... Her answer will be I don't remember to the first and who knows on the second.

Do you remember a loud bang that occurred a year ago?

Don’t know, but I’m pretty sure I’d remember if someone fired a gun in my house, wouldn’t you?

Don’t know, but I’m pretty sure I’d remember if someone fired a gun in my house, wouldn’t you?

In her case if she was there she probably asked MS what that was and he shrugged it off. If someone shot a gun at my house I'd ask what that was and believe them when they told me whatever they said it was. It's just outside the realm of most peoples experiences that someone is firing a gun in the house so that isn't going to be your default expectation

mozzagirl , it creeps me out too, because I lived in Oakville and I am sure I did see MS and it is possible even DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels