Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's important to note that the Register has NOT reported anything inaccurate about this case. While the facts they share from the affidavit may upset some, that doesn't make them not true.

Yes they have, back in the first thread it was pointed out.

Local reporter Michele Gile says lawyer is Edward Munoz.

Appears to fit the image above.

http://www.emunozlaw.com/index.php/attorney-profile-2/

Snip

Woodward appeared in court for arraignment but it was postponed to Feb. 2 and no plea was entered. In the meantime he'll remain jailed without bail.

His parents were in the audience holding hands with a Catholic priest who is a friend of the family.

"This is a tragedy," defense attorney Edward Munoz said later to reporters.

He said his heart goes out to Bernstein family and that the Woodward family is in shock.

"This young man I'm representing was an Eagle Scout and now he's facing murder," Munoz said.

http://www.tampabay.com/suspect-cha...g-ap_national0108b8af30c844eda0953b86378d642a

I am reading that charges are for first degree murder. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but It looks like the DA sees a case for premeditation. IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The press release I saw just said "murder". And the alleged facts don't address specifics that would be necessary in a normal charging document. So I am guessing the DA is not yet sure if he will seek 1st or 2nd degree and will clarify the charges soon. Thus, the postponement of the arraignment.

Sorry. I’m on mobile and when I paste the link it shows both the photo and the text in the post. Maybe everyone doesn’t see it that way?

No worries! I can’t see it. I usually can — but the WS site has been a little wonky of late with not showing links and images. [emoji6]

Specifically, what?

Specifically that he went to the park to meet the family friend/attorney on the night he was murdered.

Some (including Blaze's parents) also take issue with the Register leaking part of a SEALED affidavit on the same day as Blaze's funeral AND leaking pieces of information that have led some to question BB's motives in meeting with SW that night or, at the very least, whether or not he outed SW back in June.

It's ok for people not to like the OC Register (for whatever reason.) I can assure you that the reasons I don't have nothing to do with them posting accurate information that simply is upsetting in nature.

Therein lies the problem with much of the stuff that has been purported to be posted by Woodward -- no one has been able to identify posts [with a message of hate against various groups] on these various sites that they can actually prove was posted by Woodward. We have seen the Confederate Flag post which was he definitely made, but nothing more.

LE will be able (and likely already has) used any IP address that has been associated with Woodward to pull his complete digital footprint. They will be able to decipher between all the content that people have been purporting to been written by Woodward and what he actually wrote or posted.

I feel like there is a lot of misinformation being pushed elsewhere on the web.

You’re not the only one!

Arraignment press conference summary...

Charged with murder - not yet evidence of Special Circumstances but still searching

Time and place of murder not yet known

No more info to be revealed until preliminary hearing

Premeditation - no determination at this time

Surveillance of SW was a big part of the investigation

Can't say yet whether it was a hate crime - still trying to determine this - will not rule it out

Surveillance revealed that SW was cleaning a vehicle

No details disclosed of prior relationship - they went to the same high school - still developing evidence

Investigating communication between BB, SW, and others

Affidavit questions - why can't we have all the details?
- Still investigating - have a duty not to go into too much detail
- Much might be revealed at prelim hearing

Motive - still developing this - still need more evidence

Bail hearing will be later today - DA thinks he should be denied bail - concerned about neighbor safety
- Likelihood of bail being set - not yet a special circumstance case
- Bail schedule says 1M - DA will ask for more - reasons to be disclosed at bail hearing

Did SW confess? DA not at liberty to discuss SW statements to LE

Act of rage? Cannot discuss

Process to amend charges - raise or lower - depends on additional evidence - no anticipation of downgrading

Cannot discuss detail of SW background

Investigating all forms of digital communication for evidence

Cannot discuss whether murder weapon has been found

Victim's DNA was on property in control of SW

Thank you for this terrific summary of today's presser!
:tyou:

Wait, wait, wait! How do we do that? We do not even know how the contacts were made. SW may not have even known BB that well .

Premeditative murder by stabbing 22 times, seems a little bloody for a Plan, don't you think?

.....and I believe I am a reasonable person, how can one say a person CAN'T murder someone because "they said something they did not like or were kissed" Stated pretty simplistically don't you think?.. People kill for a lot less.

This was not just saying something about the other person, this was spreading a rumor that could have serious ramifications for someone .. Kissing someone who never expected it--well a lot of women would take offense at that, they might even call it sexual harassment when attempted by the opposite sex, let alone the same sex.

Apparently they had limited exposure to each other. All of a sudden you have a premeditative hate crime that SW had planned for how Long--and decided the time was right the night before BB was to go back to Penn?

You may be absolutely right in your statements, but IMO it seems a little early for any of us to tell others" they CAN'T "murder someone unless you are totally "illogical and unreasonable".....................Just Sayin! MOO.

RUK

Are you saying that in your opinion a reasonable person would murder someone over an unwanted kiss???

Also, yes, a woman might call it sexual harassment, but a reasonable woman would probably not stab a man 22 times over it either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I too am troubled and bothered by any inference that its easy or justifiable to murder someone even if they kiss you unexpectedly

The press release I saw just said "murder". And the alleged facts don't address specifics that would be necessary in a normal charging document. So I am guessing the DA is not yet sure if he will seek 1st or 2nd degree and will clarify the charges soon. Thus, the postponement of the arraignment.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had presumed it was not premeditated until I heard he had a knife with him. Which as far as I'm concerned is not an incidental item in a car picked up and used in a fit of rage - maybe in a kitchen! (But I'm not based in the US so not too sure - these were suburban middle class kids right, why would a knife be lying about in a car?)

The only vague way to explain it away is the presence of the camping kit (if a knife can be regarded as a usual item camping/hunting kit?) - so if present before the killing you could try to argue unpremeditated as he was planning a camping trip, if added after then an excuse being put into action after the fact. Not really convinced by that - it would need to be easily at hand for a fit of rage argument.

And, if he was so set against gay relationships why on earth would he have chosen to go out with Blaze? Unless deeply conflicted by his own sexuality and a chaotic set of expectations and self knowledge - or motivated by a grudge, revenge or hate. Surely SW knew the likely scenario he was going into with Blaze? I presume he wasn't imagine they were going for a gossip, ice cream and a flick through the year book?

It seems to me that the postponement is to give the newly apppinted lawyer time to familiarize himself with the case and the DA time to compile the evidence needed for an additional hate crime charge. MOO.

ETA: Eagle Scout? Please...

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s justifiable for someone to murder someone for _____________ (fill in the blank). Or that a reasonable person may murder someone over ____________ (fill in the blank).

The point is a murderer is not a reasonable person, and may kill over the most inane things.

100% normal to have a knife or Leatherman. I have one in my purse.

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s justifiable for someone to murder someone for _____________ (fill in the blank). Or that a reasonable person may murder someone over ____________ (fill in the blank).

The point is a murderer is not a reasonable person, and may kill over the most inane things.

I hope that is what people are saying. We are in 2018 and theres no place for the alternative

I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume (so this is just my opinion) that every electronic communication device (laptops, PCs, cells phones, etc.) were seized during the 3am raid.

I'm sure the Boy Scouts of America are thrilled at the shout out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther