CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not caught up yet so forgive me, but it hasn't been brought up in the past 3 threads so I'm going to take a chance. I have no idea why everyone is talking about homeschooling vs. public schooling when that has NOTHING to do with this, this isn't home school this was a PRIVATE school, they registered in their home. There is a huge difference between homeschooling and creating a private school.

The Turpin's registered their private school, Sandcastle Day School, through the California Dept. of Education. This is very different than homeschooling, so the regulations and oversights that kept being brought up have literally nothing to do with this, this isn't home school this is private school!

Sorry to use your post JO, it was just a good one that I wanted to see again in the thread!!!!!

Recalling back to some earlier post, I believe that California law requires that home school families register themselves as a private school (or that is at least one possibility). Brings to mind Charlie Sheen having his home registered as a treatment facility in order to comply with terms of parole.

There are at least 50 (or 52 throwing in DC and Puerto Rico) different sets of laws governing "home school" and "private schools" in the US. And in no state are either of them as well or carefully regulated as public schools (including "charter" schools). As time goes on, we will likely get a better feel for exactly what kind of education these kids were getting. But, so far, it doesn't appear as though any laws were broken in that regard, as the laws governing home schooling (or calling your home a private school) are so sparse.

And I for one, even though I know a number of very conscientious home school families who are providing very good education, wish that were not the case. Because when we refuse to regulate based on the experience of the best and most diligent, we open the door to abuse by the worse and most terrifying.

I wonder how/why “mom” has a hired defence lawyer and “dad” doesn’t. I don’t have a link but I’m pretty sure it’s out there.
Where would she get funds for it? From him? I hope for the kids sake they just plead guilty and are locked away.
Jmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If i was a child saved from them I would beg to testify against them.

wow..LTs family seem kind of odd. Seems like her mother was afraid of the dad. Maybe possible LT was sexually abused by dad and mom was trying to help her escape?

im also wondering if LT is mentally stunted at being a child..if she was sexually abused, it'd make sense How she'd get stuck mentally at a certain age. She's certainly kept her hair as it was when she was younger, David has kept his the same as well. Also LT seems to dress the kids in a fashion that she wore as a child.

i bet the families are making tons of money off this story. I'm surprised one of the siblings haven't disclosed abuse as children.

One sister has disclosed abuse in some of the books she co-authored. She mentioned being molested since the age of 9 and watching her mom being raped. She identified the abuser as a trusted family member. I found it surprising because it was the same sister that didn’t seem to think it odd that DT watched her in the shower. Going by the dates released, LT sister was 8 when LT and DT married.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5367175/turpin-family-sister-of-hell-house-mum-reveals-their-own-abusive-childhood-and-how-she-watched-her-mother-get-raped/

http://clpli.com/elizabeth_jane_flores

These kids should not be separated as I think they have been looking after each other. The older ones would be like mom to the younger ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Meanwhile, voicemails left by Louise Turpin, the mother of the children, to her brother Billy, have been released.

“Hi, Billy, it's me. I'm sorry I missed your call a couple of hours just. Love you, bye,” she said in a message left for her brother, Billy Lambert, just five weeks ago.

She followed up with another voicemail a short time later.

“Hello Billy, it's Louise. I guess we had a bad connection and anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I talked to the lawyer and he did get those papers back,” she said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/david-louise-turpin-fed-kids-192609099.html

Betcha Billy Lambert and his sis got paid for that interview. Hope they're not planning to go after 'adopting' any of the children.

As creepy as dad looks, he doesn’t look scary or mean to me. He just looks dead inside and broken. Mom looks like a nervous crazy hamster. I can totally see her being cruel. (She looks like Mother Gothel from “Tangled” actually)

I am sure they are both hideous people, looks aside.

Last night I took a little excursion into the life of Genie, via wikipedia. New one to me. Profoundly abused child, kept in a darkened room and tied for earliest years of her life. But, there was also a history of her father, the chief abuser. I find these sorts of backgrounds helpful, not in terms of letting anyone off the hook, but in terms of understanding the internal logic of the abuser. In Genie's case, the father suffered from various family issues and social ostracism, coupled with extreme, pathological sensitivities to noise. Wife had severe glaucoma, rendering her nearly blind. Several pregnancies resulted in very early deaths, although I believe a brother survived normally. Genie was hospitalized for something and suspected of profound retardation. And while her daily "care" appears to be profoundly cruel, I believe that highly similar conditions were found in many institutions at that time (late 1950s). And in fact, the rest of her life, once "discovered" appears to have been something of a seesaw between nurturing and abusive caretakers.

Relating this back to the Turpin case. And without sleuthing any family members, I would tend to believe that there are roots to at least some of this behavior/pathology that are generational in nature. Some of the family interviews have suggested that Louise may have been known to be "odd." And then this new tidbit today from David's father:

David Turpin’s father, James, the children’s’ grandfather, said from his home in Princeton, West Virginia, that he did not believe the reports about the abuse.

“I’m going to talk with the children, find out the real story on this as soon as I can get a call through to them,” James Turpin told The Associated Press.

This in face of LE removing children from a reportedly filthy home and having observed one child in chains and two being freed while officers were awaiting entry. And medical reports of malnutrition. Now, denial is a powerful thing. Very powerful. But that is some super-duper level stuff. That kind of denial, it seems to me, takes years of practice. Sure does make one wonder.

About Genie. With all due respect, Genie suffered far more than what you suggest here. When she was "rescued," she literally could not speak. She had no knowledge about language because she was never spoken to. She was never touched. She never came in contact with another living soul. She was tied up (IIRC, in a bathroom), and left entirely alone, for years. Food was delivered to her (again if IIRC) under the door. She never left that one room, never went outside, never had or even saw a book, TV, any source of stimulation or knowledge or language.

And there was absolutely nothing typical about the environments she was kept in by researchers, nor in the tug of war she was subjected to between parties who almost or entirely without exception (a matter of dispute) did not consider her emotional well being their primary interest or concern.

She was destroyed all over again by what happened to her after being "rescued." Hers remains one of the saddest and most anger & disgust inducing stories I have ever heard about.

The siblings had long looked for a way to escape, Hestrin said. The 17-year-old who led police to the house had been working on a plan with her brothers and sister to break away for more than two years, Hestrin said. Minutes before sunrise, she climbed out a window with another child, but that child was afraid of being caught and turned back.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ce-called-it-depraved/?utm_term=.584646cca34b

This week, authorities said that David and Louise Turpin were “unable to immediately provide a logical reason” why the children were shackled and chained and that Louise Turpin seemed “perplexed” by the investigators’ questions.

That Daily Mail article shows L pregnant with baby 13, so I guess she is the mother after all.
So much Disney stuff, the obsession seems to be at least 29 years back, as the baby with the Disney cake is the eldest.

Did anyone notice her shoes in the original wedding photo? Identical to the shoes all the girls wear at the renewals.

I thought the SAME thing about the shoes. So weird.

In Aus. we have 4 & 5+ bedroom homes for challenged people to live an independent life. A qualified nurse tends to medications and carers clean, cook and supervise outings for banking, shopping and excursions. There is supervision 24/7.

I’m thinking this would be perfect that these children are together and to assimilate them into society and school.
These 13 children living in a 4 bedroom home would have slept together, possibly in the same bed. They will miss each other’s closeness I’m sure.

:grouphug: God love these sweet souls.

The siblings had long looked for a way to escape, Hestrin said. The 17-year-old who led police to the house had been working on a plan with her brothers and sister to break away for more than two years, Hestrin said. Minutes before sunrise, she climbed out a window with another child, but that child was afraid of being caught and turned back.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ce-called-it-depraved/?utm_term=.584646cca34b

This week, authorities said that David and Louise Turpin were “unable to immediately provide a logical reason” why the children were shackled and chained and that Louise Turpin seemed “perplexed” by the investigators’ questions.

This. That the mother seemed “perplexed” by the investigators presence shows a very severe lack of insight, whether it be due to Intellecutal Disabilty , or something else. It stands out to me. I realize that DT & LT attempted to unshackle 2 of the children before the police could see the abuse shows that they new right from wrong which matters forensically regarding intent. But I still see a lack of insight with the smirking, spitting, and being “perplexed” which could point to various different factors regarding her intellecutal capicity and or mental illness. (Not legal insanity) They are different,.

Bumping in case it was missed.

Hey Everyone,

I think we can all agree that the Turpin's homeschooling does not resemble one iota of what real homeschooling is about right?

If you want to discuss homeschooling as it directly relates to the case then feel free.

As far as debating homeschooling in general? No please. Let's stop this right now.

Homeschooling is not a true crime topic. The way the Turpin's homeschooled their children is a true crime topic.

Thank you,

Tricia

Some companies run 24/7. My son is a mechanical/drilling engineer for an oil company and works on a drill ship. He works a 12 hr 6pm-6am shift.
I believe it is like clocking in at a factory. Manufacturing equipment has to be running 24/7. Somebody has got to keep it running.

What is odd about the latest photos is how the surroundings appear to be clean and pleasant. The photos with the baby, and when she's pregnant, the nursery and her bed look fine, as does the long sofa, living room area. It's all very strange.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think the black blazers did much to improve their appearance. They still looked like wackos to me.
I just remembered a dream I had last night, after staying up reading about this case. I was at a wedding and someone was forcing me to wear a black ill-fitting blazer over my dress. I should probably step away from Websleuths before bed.

there's also a lot of resemblance overall between her mother and the 29 yr. old daughter. Maybe reason for the hatred of that daughter.

Very true and an interesting/plausible thought

Considering that the toddler was apparently a healthy size, I believe the parents wanted babies rather than autonomous children. It's an immature mindset - wanting cute dolls to play with rather than actual people - taken to its logical extreme. The adult children would likely be the biggest burden to this vile couple.

^^^All of this!! We have 5 kids and babies are great and all but I absolutely love when they’re older and start getting interested and excited to learn about specific things, 5 year old kiddo’s current obsession is raccoons and she has learned like 97,000 facts about them and she shares them with everyone. Part of this evening’s plan is baking cupcakes with our 3 and 5 year olds, this morning writing out with them that it makes 16 cupcakes, we have 7 people in the house so how many will each person get, etc.. In depth, insightful conversations with the teens about politics, social issues, college/career/future plans and so forth.

These poor kid’s situation is just completely unimaginable to me, I’m just so very glad that they were able to make a plan and execute it. Then of course with the history filtering in I’m totally shocked and angry that they were able to slip through the cracks for so many years.

ETA a word
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members