CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awwww....

:cheers:

This case made me reel. But it's also made me tear up several times at the kindness so many have shown. It really gives me faith in humanity and is a light in the darkness. Despite such terrible evil as this, we are reminded that the world is beautiful and filled with good, decent, caring people.

Makes me happy.

Yes, it's still sleuthing. Especially if that person hasn't voluntarily made a statement to the press, and has not been named as a suspect or person of interest.

I personally believe it is acceptable to examine the sister's statements to the media, for instance, but the college president brother has not made any statement.

Don't get us in trouble, please.
He's the president of the college and they made a public statement on his behalf to the press.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From today's Times newspaper (UK) - the Simon referred to is a neighbour: "The first inkling that Simon, 32, had that something was badly wrong over the road was when the parents were arrested that Sunday. “I had friends staying and they were, like, ‘Salynn, you’ve got a bunch of cop cars outside your house.’ ” She saw David Turpin sitting in a police car parked a few feet away from her home. “He was staring at me. The mum was in another car. She kept laughing and smiling and spitting, like she was hacking a loogie. It was weird. If it was me I would have been crying my eyes out.

“Then the kids came out, single file in pyjamas and pants. One girl had a leather jacket on. They [the police] didn’t wait for the CPS [social services], which to me means they were trying to get them the hell out of there. They used the family’s own van to take them away.” https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...home-that-became-a-house-of-horrors-5r2l6wnkz

I have skipped a few pages and will go back and catch up, this is moving fast tonight!

My thoughts on the recent family interviews are these folks aren't sophisticated and don't realize how the media works. They are accommodating the media and it's probably not the best idea. DT's family is older and probably has no idea the wide scale notoriety this is getting. LT's family is damaged and trying to rationalize what happened. To me they would be better served getting private counseling. I can't say I believe all we're reading or seeing.

He should be arrested for impersonating an Elvis impersonator.

The first video I watched, a week ago, and the second , and the third, I thought the very same thing. I was almost embarrassed by how bad he was. And then, as I have viewed them a number of times now, the story got worse and worse. Part of me criticized and laughed at his performance, likening it to a Saturday Night Live skit from so many years ago. But as the story gets worse, his performance GETS BETTER! When I view the video now, even a snippet of it, all I can see is how kind and nice he was to those kids. All of them. You, and you, and you,and you, and you... He got a smile out of each child. All of them, at one time or another. When he apologized to the little boy for messing up his name, my heart nearly broke at the child's response.."that's okay!"

Elvis was a gentle spirit to those thirteen miracle people. His extreme overacting got a lot of laughs from them! (From me too!)

My opinion. He can hold his head up on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me too. But as we are seeing in the R case, if it turns out that a family member was involved, then family could do a whole lot worse.

But how a parent could treat their kids this way is way beyond what I can comprehend. I can only assume (or hope) that the starvation was motivated by financial hardship, getting worse with each child born. I am like you RSD I don't think it began until after a couple of the first kids were born. It may even have began in TX if DT was laid off work. I cannot imagine feeding 4 or 5 kids on unemployment. But I am thinking food stamps were available in the 90"s? But by all accounts the first girl was born in 1988 and went to third grade which if we do the math and assume she started in 1st grade at 6 years of age, she would have been 9 at that time. So that would put it at 1997 and at that time 5 kids or maybe 6. Since their home was foreclosed on around that time then that means they were going through a severe financial setback. I could see LT maybe rationing food at that time to be able to keep the house. That doesn't in anyway make it right though, I would have put my kids first and lived in a tent in order to make sure they got enough to eat. Then as more kids were born the rationing became worse until it was just one meal a day. Of course they had to keep them from going outside and maybe telling someone about what was going on so they began tying them up (and maybe to keep them from getting into the fridge or cabinets and eating up what little food there was?).

Or maybe I am just trying to insert a rationale for totally irrational behavior.

JMO

We were not permitted to waste food when we were children. My maternal grandparents were not wealthy, and my Momma carried that with here. However, I never knew need as a child, and very little want, and punishments were never severe. I don't think this was about money, after getting through the case, to this point. I've seen kids in dire poverty, and the parents would usually try to get them fed, including sucking up their pride, if they had to do so. No, I think LT may have started out with strict, and then advanced to severe, punishments, and then, eventually became a sadist in her punishments. I believe she developed a hate for those kids and the father went along with his Disney princess. They may have had a fondness for one or two of them, which explains driving, and a college class, or, it could have been another way to torture the siblings.

From today's Times newspaper (UK) - the Simon referred to is a neighbour: "The first inkling that Simon, 32, had that something was badly wrong over the road was when the parents were arrested that Sunday. “I had friends staying and they were, like, ‘Salynn, you’ve got a bunch of cop cars outside your house.’ ” She saw David Turpin sitting in a police car parked a few feet away from her home. “He was staring at me. The mum was in another car. She kept laughing and smiling and spitting, like she was hacking a loogie. It was weird. If it was me I would have been crying my eyes out.

“Then the kids came out, single file in pyjamas and pants. One girl had a leather jacket on. They [the police] didn’t wait for the CPS [social services], which to me means they were trying to get them the hell out of there. They used the family’s own van to take them away.” https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...home-that-became-a-house-of-horrors-5r2l6wnkz

I can’t see the article without subscribing. So I’m only going off of the quoted comment.

Respectfully, while I do read the DM, I find some of the U.K. sites tend to sensationalize things. The cops put the victims in the Turpin van and drove away? That seems like majorly messing with evidence. Jmo

Ahh I’ve recently had to use tapatalk bc the mobile site doesn’t work for me. I will have to try to figure out how to get to the media thread. Let me work on it. If you have the thread easily accessible feel free to post it!

I'm reading, researching & posting using my phone, and have no idea how to cut & paste links, or if that's even possible. I'll try firing up my long abandoned laptop tomorrow & will post your link in the media thread tomorrow if I'm able.

Meanwhile, I'm really grateful you've posted it again so I know where it find it. :)

Thanks for this. I watched the video earlier and thought the sibling were getting into their own van, which confused me. I'm still surprised LE would use the family's vehicle.

LT laughing (and spitting? what the heck?) makes me wonder if she was trying to flirt her way out of it?

jmo

FWIW, Rio Vista, Texas would have been in an area known as the "Barnett Shale," where gas reserves were discovered in the early-to-mid-2000's. It was the early days of fracking.

Mineral rights in that area were being leased with bonus payments of $4,000-$5,000 per acre, which in many cases was more than the surface land was worth. It was a huge boom.

A ways back in the thread, the monthly royalty payment to Turpins was posted, from the bankruptcy filing. 570.00 monthly or therabout, if memory serves correctly. The signing bonus would have been a one time payment. I don't recall the exact dollar amount. I still wonder if they somehow found a way to retain those rights..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Homeschooling" is not a tax write off in any state that I know of.

Hang with me here folks, this will apply to the case in the end, lol. So homeschool Not a write off per se. There are however a few credits you can claim and if you have special needs kids, in NC anyway, you can apply for a grant that gives you money to cover educational expenses since the school system isn't providing those. There are a limited number available tho ans people who already have them get priority. If you itemize, There is also a section where you can get a % credit for educational expenses--purchasing curriculum materials etc. you are considered a teacher in this respect. Teacher's in regular schools have this available too. Then one more thing that can be done for special needs children is the educational expenses you have can be considered a medical expense of sorts, again because the state, under ADA, is supposed to provide a "free ans appropriate education". The schools receive special funding for this so I guess the theory is that since the school isn't using your tax dollars to educate the child you shouldn't have to pay it.
Now, all that said, somehow I don't see them taking the time to research and learn all that. These credits and grants aren't exactly front and center in tax codes. It takes some digging. Their whole motivation for homeschool was control, not education. And the amount of money they'd get back from those things is not really big enough to make a big difference to them for the work it would involve. I'm still confused about their monetary situation. He made big bucks, but I guess they squandered it buying themselves things while starving their children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this. I watched the video earlier and thought the sibling were getting into their own van, which confused me. I'm still surprised LE would use the family's vehicle.

LT laughing (and spitting? what the heck?) makes me wonder if she was trying to flirt her way out of it?

jmo

I don't know, the spitting doesn't strike me as flirting. She was acting like she just wasn't bothered about being arrested, like it was no big deal.

I don't know, the spitting doesn't strike me as flirting. She was acting like she just wasn't bothered about being arrested, like it was no big deal.

LOL! True about the spitting! (laughing at myself for saying that in the first place)

jmo

Just jumping off your post...
I have no opinion as to the sister’s honesty. I take issue with the media appearances alone. IMO the information being shared, true or not, should be provided to LE not the viewing audience. It disgusts me when family members come out of the woodwork whether it’s to defend or condemn. A defense attorney will have a field day with this. It’s not good for anyone involved.

I’ll take my own advice and shut up now.

You're fine and you made a good point as far as saving it for LE. I sense that she feels a lot of pain regarding her past with abuse and as a result she can relate to what the children are dealing with now.
It could be that she just needed to get it out there and just wasn't thinking. IMO

She probably wasn’t. Will feed into her ‘Mommy Dearest’ book.

Starving the children to be childlike does not imply planning to me, but rather, a subconscious reason for it. I'm not set on that being the only reason, but I am considering it as part of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
And what reason do you keep adult children from leaving? Because of what they know? Or is it just that they were property? Did they receive government benefits?

I hate to even bring this up, but isn't excessive saliva a symptom of pregnancy? I shudder to think that it's even possible that LT could be pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519