CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been bothering me since yesterday and I really need to get it off my chest. Someone commented on not being able to watch the Elvis videos because the impersonator was on the cheesy side. I said that I thought he should be arrested for impersonating an Elvis impersonator and I was indirectly lambasted for it. I could tell the veiled remarks were directed at me.

“The impression I got from him is that he seems genuinely nice.”
“Way harsh”
“He was thoughtful and respectful to everyone in the family. I applaud him.”
“I give him a pass because he was nice to the children.”
“Who cares? In this case, the Elvis impersonator was probably the first person to show the victims a good time in years.”
“However...he had every one of those kids smiling, laughing, and even moving (if not downright dancing)…”
“He might be the only person who encountered these kids before the rescue who can hold his head up and say ‘I did the best I could, based on what I knew.’”

I just want to clarify that I never said this man wasn’t genuine. I never said he was unthoughtful and disrespectful. I never said he wasn’t nice to the kids. I never said he didn’t show the victims a good time. I never said he didn’t make the kids smile and laugh. I never said he should not hold his head up.

I simply said that in my eyes he isn’t a good impersonator. I don’t like feeling that I need to watch every darn word I type and I refuse to walk on eggshells. My opinion is just as good as everyone else's. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I’m so sorry! I was actually agreeing with you for the most part, but just saying he got a pass in my book. I didn’t mean it as a criticism of you.❤️

Please let me know when you do start a new thread. I looked at their website and am sufficiently creeped out. I mean, one of the student testimonials is about how no abuse happens at the school. Red flag! Red flag!
Staff of websleuths are all out with the flu and I am too new to start a thread myself it seems. It may be a couple days

Its a good question and I think you are right that she had to have known that the phone would still dial 911.

I learned that a long time ago about it by watching a news show and its why I have kept a couple of old phones.

Its some sort of law that was passed and Im really glad they have that. It saved this family and it makes me wonder how many families that cannot afford a cell phone service have old cell phones for emergency purposes.
We don't know what kind of phone, she may very well had access to the internet using the family wi-fi and researched how to get help.

Please let me know when you do start a new thread. I looked at their website and am sufficiently creeped out. I mean, one of the student testimonials is about how no abuse happens at the school. Red flag! Red flag!

Me too!!

I have wondered why it would take these kids two years to come up with the plan they used? On the outside looking in, their plan does not seem too elaborate. Since they didn’t go to school, or have any contact with the outside world, what knowledge did they gain in these two years of planning?

We can say that and think it from the prism of freedom. We have to think about their world, the constraints and abuse to understand their timing. She had to cut the screen, did she do it at one time or did she work on it slowly so no one saw? She had to find a way to call someone, did it take time secure the phone? She had to have a right opportunity to escape. She had to have the courage to even try, we know that other siblings ran away and were returned. Those are just a few things that entered my mind.

I am really happy they caught them before they were able to move to Oklahoma.

There are some places that are sold with mineral rights included. Hubby and I own mineral rights on 2 pieces of property, but the royalties are very small. Like OP said, enough for a dinner out once a month.

O/T Speaking of oil and Oklahoma, five workers were killed yesterday when one of the oil rigs exploded at Quinton Oklahoma. They looked to be young boys. A couple looked to me in their late teens early twenties. They were drilling a new well and hit a gas pocket which caused the explosion. Working on the oil rigs is a really dangerous job but the lure of big money still draws them, mostly young kids. I know quite a few young kids who work on them. Prayers for all the families.

There's something dysfunctional about most people who refuse to ever change their hair since childhood, IMO. Like Dylan Roof.

I bet his mom cut his hair and his wife continued the tradition. Soup bowl on head and proceed with hair cut.

Respectfully they say different things..your link Ricky says no beds, my link with 25 yr old daughter his wife says double wide had 6 sets if bunk beds within 2 rooms. And assumption of hearsay that one girl tried run away, but in your link states as fact.

Too many quotes that conflict. Do you not agree? If not can you share why not. Thanks
I think it's not clear in the articles what they found in the house vs the trailer, and it would be very easy for journalists to get that mixed up. There were two separate homes on the property, and I think that's where the inconsistencies likely come from.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've always thought the eldest boy and one of the older girls had more red on their hair than the rest. I don't think their hair is all the same color.

Red hair can result from starvation. Not naturally red hair of course.

I think it's possible that the parents may have promised the kids things were going to get better, fed them a bit more, had a big event with photo ops and then went back to before, over and over again. Some of the kids may had gone beyond believing anything would change. They didn't appear to be too vigilant about cleaning up or putting out garbage. When they got a new phone it's conceivable they just forgot about the previous one, not imagining their kids might figure out how it works. Getting ahold of that phone might even be the catalyst.
This, precisely. IMO

I'd not doubt they moved there to be near, or even work at, Disney, but based on the Minnie Mouse cake photo, I think she had a fixation on Disney for a long time. There's a former priest, who wrote a book, called "Chasing The Mouse", iirc. I've not read it yet, but it is about his childhood as a mostly homeless kid, living in poverty, whose Dad would tell them that as soon as things got better, they'd go to Disney, and how the dream got them through. I think he is a Disney fan, still today. Maybe Disney and Cali, were her dreams, because I've got a bad feeling about her, and her siblings', childhood, and it's not poverty.

O/T RSD prayers for the families of the kids killed in a school shooting in KY. Horrible news that, a 15 year old shooter.

People who have info on the current conditions and current information are probably speaking to investigators about what happened recently and as part of the ongoing investigation this information won't be revealed until the indictments are unsealed.
I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that a minor contacted 911 with an immediate case of child abuse/neglect, Sheriff deputies arrived on scene and arrested them in the moment for that child abuse/neglect, etc. as felonies. They are already charged, already arraigned, and the criminal case is moving on to a hearing Feb. 23 to discuss trial preparedness of both investigators and defense. I don't think a grand jury is needed, and I don't think there are any sealed indictments. Gitana, can you clarify this for us?

This has been bothering me since yesterday and I really need to get it off my chest. Someone commented on not being able to watch the Elvis videos because the impersonator was on the cheesy side. I said that I thought he should be arrested for impersonating an Elvis impersonator and I was indirectly lambasted for it. I could tell the veiled remarks were directed at me.

“The impression I got from him is that he seems genuinely nice.”
“Way harsh”
“He was thoughtful and respectful to everyone in the family. I applaud him.”
“I give him a pass because he was nice to the children.”
“Who cares? In this case, the Elvis impersonator was probably the first person to show the victims a good time in years.”
“However...he had every one of those kids smiling, laughing, and even moving (if not downright dancing)…”
“He might be the only person who encountered these kids before the rescue who can hold his head up and say ‘I did the best I could, based on what I knew.’”

I just want to clarify that I never said this man wasn’t genuine. I never said he was unthoughtful and disrespectful. I never said he wasn’t nice to the kids. I never said he didn’t show the victims a good time. I never said he didn’t make the kids smile and laugh. I never said he should not hold his head up.

I simply said that in my eyes he isn’t a good impersonator. I don’t like feeling that I need to watch every darn word I type and I refuse to walk on eggshells. My opinion is just as good as everyone else's. Please don't put words in my mouth.

I love ya, Rocket! (We've been in the Abby and Libby thread since the beginning. I feel bonded.) To be honest, I didn't even see YOUR post until afterwards. I was replying to a response to a response to it.

I actually think your comment is kind of funny. As an Elvis impersonator he WAS a bad one. (I can't believe I am publicly admitting this but I have dated not one but TWO Elvis impersonators in the past. I've seen a lot.) As a performer and in the context of this story, however, he seems okay.

Things have gotten heated today. I've walked away twice in tears from comments directed at me on this board. I think everyone's emotions are running high. I mean, this story kind of does that to us. It's pretty bad.

In my high school, there were two brothers who were MR, and they wouldn't bathe very often. On at least one occasion, the coaches took them to the locker room and threw them in the shower until they came out clean. Not sure if they washed their clothes or had them get in the shower with clothes on. Sounds cruel, but it was necessary and hopefully taught them a lesson about hygiene.

I imagine they were learning it at home.

Some schools have clothes for high school kids and washing machines, They can clean up and change. A blessing.

If schools in your area do not have this, look into it and suggest it be done. So many kids are in need

Something triggered the plan two years ago and quite an age gap between the youngest child and the next oldest. There are still many questions to be answered such as how did she obtain the phone and when did she obtain it? That's the piece that I think took so long. I'd also like to know how she knew that 911 would work on an otherwise non-working phone. I guess I'm wondering if she obtained it through older brother who got it from someone at school. It sounds as though he is the only child who was allowed any type of outside contact.
When you try to call out on a deactivated phone, there is a message that says you can only make emergency 911 calls. It basically gave her instructions.

I'm guessing they managed to find an old phone while packing, hiding it, found the charger, and boom.

I do too. They could very well believe that the punishment they rec'd was normal and/or deserved. It makes me cry.

Idon’t think so. They were planning an escape. They were afraid of getting killed if caught escaping.

I have wondered why it would take these kids two years to come up with the plan they used? On the outside looking in, their plan does not seem too elaborate. Since they didn’t go to school, or have any contact with the outside world, what knowledge did they gain in these two years of planning?
May have taken that long to get hold of the phone and charger, especially if the place was a mess. Likely found it while packing.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that a minor contacted 911 with an immediate case of child abuse/neglect, Sheriff deputies arrived on scene and arrested them in the moment for that child abuse/neglect, etc. as felonies. They are already charged, already arraigned, and the criminal case is moving on to a hearing Feb. 23 to discuss trial preparedness of both investigators and defense. I don't think a grand jury is needed, and I don't think there are any sealed indictments. Gitana, can you clarify this for us?

Hi, yes I wish there were some clarification but some of the charges say NF. That means the DA has not filed charges yet (as far as I know). The DA can drop the charges with NF or go ahead and file the charges. For those with CONT status those charges have been filed. For those with NF they can be accused of something either by information or indictment and I am not sure what route the DA will take.

[FONT=&amp]
The Turpin children have been under the control of an ogre or two[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp] for a very long time. Unlike children who have learned models of conflict and rebellion, and who can imagine how to fight back, a child who has only known submission in a restricted world feels unable to act. They have no existence of their own and thus can be chained up and mistreated without rebelling. They appear to be soft-spoken and well mannered, while within they are experiencing psychic torture and disfigurement. The child who raised the alarm must be praised for her courage. It’s truly remarkable for a young woman to have suffered years of torture yet find the strength to confront her parents’ control and save her siblings.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]

I like what this article (from someone who was imprisoned by their own parents) has to say on this matter: [/FONT]
http://time.com/5115078/david-louise-turpin-children-abuse-safety/

This was the early 80's.
Pretty terrible. During the 80s at my school they quietly took one girl aside and came up with a plan where she could shower at school daily and wash her clothes in the home ec room. That would have been the kind way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member