CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats with the condition of not possessing a firearm? They're locked up so surely thay goes without saying? Or is it just a standard condition?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Also, they are not allowed to have direct personal contact with the children or any electronic contact. Does that mean they could still write to them?

Laikawolf asked:
"What is with the Turpins' obsession with returning to the same places over and over again? It's baffling. "

It is similar to someone getting pregnant, over and over again, and dressing the children all the same, giving them identical haircuts, and naming them all 'J' names. It is both baffling and creepy.

Whats with the condition of not possessing a firearm? They're locked up so surely thay goes without saying? Or is it just a standard condition?

Standard condition on restraining orders in CA.

Also, they are not allowed to have direct personal contact with the children or any electronic contact. Does that mean they could still write to them?

I hope not.

I am sure the family is being sent a lot of mail---nice letters and sweet cards full of well wishes. But I really hope someone is sorting through it to take out any trollish or creepy stuff, AND to make sure the parents don't manage to get a letter sent somehow.

Krispy Kreme

Attachments

• louise w baby and josh 2015.jpg
    louise w baby and josh 2015.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 156
Whats with the condition of not possessing a firearm? They're locked up so surely thay goes without saying? Or is it just a standard condition? Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Also their bail may be reduced at some point and they may get out of jail. No, they cannot write to the victims either.

I’m not convinced the story is true that she told her sister about DT driving her 700 miles to meet someone for sex. Could have just been told as part of her “amazing” fantasy life.

Imited knowlledge. Random knowledge. Where could they get much knowledge? No TV. No radio. No playmates, no school. Some excursions that did not allow much freedom I imagine.

What could one learn in Vegas or Disneyworld or Krispy Kreme?

At least two of the children attended school for some time (the oldest daughter and the son in community college) and it's possible that other children did until they started homeschooling them. Those children could have passed the information down. As far as what one can learn at Disneyland, Vegas, etc. don't underestimate the natural curiosity of a child and what they can pick up from limited exposure to certain things. Children are naturally inquisitive and, in my experience, perceptive. Overhearing conversations from people, watching basic human behavior, reading headlines in newspapers and magazines as they wait in line or pass by...The grandfather came and stayed with them for, what, 5 days? My own kids are constantly amazing me with what they know and what they've learned just by being naturally observant.

I'm not discounting that the kids were highly sheltered (in a bad way) and isolated and that they don't understand a lot of how the world works, but I'm also not yet ready to discount the idea that they knew more than we think. We only have a couple of lines in a newspaper article to go by at this time. We really know very little of what they know or what they went through.

OP had said that she/he was kind of kept isolated for part of her/his childhood. While they did get out, and did learn/understand things, they didn't have the appropriate language skills, and confidence, iirc, to express themselves. They may not have called a policeman, a policeman, and had the right words to describe one, for instance, but they knew what one was. I think. I'm going on memory here, and I can't remember OP's handle.

If OP sees this, and I'm incorrect please correct me.

That was me. And that's correct.
It's my guess that if they were largely and for the most part isolated from the outside world, then yes, it will have an effect on the way you behave and talk. Even if you are ocassionally permitted to go outside, and even if you are permitted to go to school.
I wonder whether they were allowed to talk to each other or talk at all, or if there was some system in place that kept them quiet or mistrustful. But even if there wasn't, the fact that they were abused and neglected and tortured in one way or another, probably will cause a loss of confidence and a loss of certain abilities.
The point is talking and thinking are tied to daily practice. Especially in childhood. If you don't have that practice of interaction daily, you will lose your ability to talk properly (or not learn it at all until your situation changes).

...RSBM... https://www.pe.com/2018/01/24/perri...barred-from-contacting-their-kids-until-2021/ Protective orders are standard in criminal matters to shield victims from contact with defendants, who might otherwise affect their ability to testify. They typically last 3 years, as this one does. Among the other terms covered by the criminal protective order: No possession of firearms; Don’t dissuade witnesses (which is already a crime); and Don’t attempt to get kids’ addresses or locations.
Thanks. Another poster pages back was concerned that the 3 years meant the investigation and potential trial would take that long, so that's good to know that 3 years is standard.

8:30 am when LEO arrived at the house, DA said ... I wonder if the already knew daughter gone or if LEO knocking on door woke them up?

I was reading in between the lines and thought what happened was that police had the house surrounded as best they could and they were peering in some crack in the window/s and when the police knocked on the door the police observed the parents scramble and quickly 'unlock' 2 of the chained kids but - I do not know why? - the parents couldn't get the 3rd one who was chained 'unlocked' quick enough --- maybe what happened is that once the police observed the unchaining, the one in charge said 'this is enough of this $@^%@ ' and police yelled at the parents to open the door 'NOW'.

OP had said that she/he was kind of kept isolated for part of her/his childhood. While they did get out, and did learn/understand things, they didn't have the appropriate language skills, and confidence, iirc, to express themselves. They may not have called a policeman, a policeman, and had the right words to describe one, for instance, but they knew what one was. I think. I'm going on memory here, and I can't remember OP's handle.

If OP sees this, and I'm incorrect please correct me.

That's interesting, but I actually wasn't referencing anyone's post, just the general things we've read in the media files about the children apparently not knowing what a policeman was, etc. so I am not exactly sure who "OP" is.

I want to comment that I myself was raised with atrocious abuse that was 24-7 and of many sorts and yes I went to school each day, but, see, the parent/s tell 'ya 'NEVER TELL WHAT IS GOING ON HERE'

PLUS

the parent/s tell you repeatedly, too, that what in fact happened DIDN'T HAPPEN,

so a kid's brain and thinking gets all mixed up. Parts of me could/can never figure 'what really happened' and 'what didn't', and you're full of a life-death fear if you/I don't do as ordered.

I have long lapses in memory of childhood, and can be 'triggered', PTSD, with sudden recall of this or that horror. I believe is saying the facts and the facts for me included -but were not limited to - things such as:
1. Vomiting from the stress into my dish of oatmeal/porridge (me - around age 3?) and being ordered then to 'eat it', vomiting more, then being ordered to clean it up, and
2. Choked to unconsciousness, surely (me - age 2-3-4???) to make me 'shut up' for crying or whatnot, and then slapped around back to consciousness, and of course, told 'never tell' and 'it didn't happen' sorts of things. The choking was a common one for me, and I have an idea of my age in my recall because I can remember the abuser lifting me and 'throwing' me on the kitchen counter to then waterboard me in the kitchen sink, FOR EG !, and
3. Nighttime sex abuse by 'other parent', and
4. Some experiences of downright torture.

It makes me tired to remember - I'm grateful it's 'over' and I feel so grateful just to be able to do things like sleep in peace now.

With all due respect, I think that people who comment along the lines of 'these kids will all be resilient....' never experienced heavy duty child abuse and just don't understand how it is. It wears a person down, and I know that there's this element of the abuse having been since infancy, for me, that has me 'mixed up' because I lacked adult reasoning abilities at that time and lacked ability to understand what was going on and lacked ability to articulate any of it. Then, add on top of that, all the 'you're mistaken - that didn't happen' kerap and one winds up feeling vulnerable and mixed up.

My personal experience is that I now gravitate to people with whom I feel very, very safe and free and calm.

I know I'm very vulnerable to people who lie - it just overwhelms me with upset to be lied to and 'knowing it's happening' - I just can't wrap my mind around 'things' - I just feel all mixed up and confused. So I now stay away from people who I know are 'dangers' for me. Since Xmas was just weeks ago, I comment that I do NOT believe in telling kids 'Santa is real' - I find that so scary and creepy to do, tho' a part of 'adult me' understands that the kids being told that baloney, I suppose, are experiencing pretty lovely little home lives, not the nonstop 24-7 nightmare/daymare I lived.

I want to comment that I myself was raised with atrocious abuse that was 24-7 and of many sorts and yes I went to school each day, but, see, the parent/s tell 'ya 'NEVER TELL WHAT IS GOING ON HERE'

PLUS

the parent/s tell you repeatedly, too, that what in fact happened DIDN'T HAPPEN,

so a kid's brain and thinking gets all mixed up. Parts of me could/can never figure 'what really happened' and 'what didn't', and you're full of a life-death fear if you/I don't do as ordered.

I have long lapses in memory of childhood, and can be 'triggered', PTSD, with sudden recall of this or that horror. I believe is saying the facts and the facts for me included -but were not limited to - things such as:
1. Vomiting from the stress into my dish of oatmeal/porridge (me - around age 3?) and being ordered then to 'eat it', vomiting more, then being ordered to clean it up, and
2. Choked to unconsciousness, surely (me - age 2-3-4???) to make me 'shut up' for crying or whatnot, and then slapped around back to consciousness, and of course, told 'never tell' and 'it didn't happen' sorts of things. The choking was a common one for me, and I have an idea of my age in my recall because I can remember the abuser lifting me and 'throwing' me on the kitchen counter to then waterboard me in the kitchen sink, FOR EG !, and

It makes me tired to remember - I'm grateful it's 'over' and I feel so grateful just to be able to do things like sleep in peace now.

With all due respect, I think that people who comment along the lines of 'these kids will all be resilient....' never experienced heavy duty child abuse and just don't understand how it is. It wears a person down, and I know that there's this element of the abuse having been since infancy, for me, that has me 'mixed up' because I lacked adult reasoning abilities at that time and lacked ability to understand what was going on and lacked ability to articulate any of it. Then, add on top of that, all the 'you're mistaken - that didn't happen' kerap and one winds up feeling vulnerable and mixed up.

My personal experience is that I now gravitate to people with whom I feel very, very safe and free and calm.

I know I'm very vulnerable to people who lie - it just overwhelms me with upset to be lied to and 'knowing it's happening' - I just can't wrap my mind around 'things' - I just feel all mixed up and confused. So I now stay away from people who I know are 'dangers' for me. Since Xmas was just weeks ago, I comment that I do NOT believe in telling kids 'Santa is real' - I find that so scary and creepy to do, tho' a part of 'adult me' understands that the kids being told that baloney, I suppose, are experiencing pretty lovely little home lives, not the nonstop 24-7 nightmare/daymare I lived.

:grouphug:

"In a motion filed in advance of Wednesday’s court hearing, Deputy Public Defender David Macher said the “extraordinary” press coverage of the case may affect the local jury pool.

“The frequent appearance of photographs or video imagines of the Turpins in the media may taint potential jurors, prejudice them against the Turpins and make it necessary to explore a possible motion for a change of venue,” Macher wrote in a court motion.

Press coverage is common concern for defense attorneys in high-profile cases, but courts generally protect the jury pool in two ways. First, anyone who knows too much about the case from media coverage is filtered out through detailed questioning during jury selection. Second, if a case gets so much attention that finding an impartial jury is out of the question, a judge can move the trial to another county, where the public has been exposed to less media coverage.

In this case, the Turpins' attorneys haven't actually asked to move the trial yet, but Macher raised the possibility in a motion that sought to ban cameras from a court hearing on Wednesday. Judge Smith approved four cameras for the hearing anyway."

Parents accused of torturing 13 children ordered not to speak to them for 3 years
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/24/turpin-parents-court-hearing/1062005001/

Hugs! I am so, so sorry you experienced such abuse.Thank you for providing insight.

PLUS

That's interesting, but I actually wasn't referencing anyone's post, just the general things we've read in the media files about the children apparently not knowing what a policeman was, etc. so I am not exactly sure who "OP" is.
I think rsd1200 was referencing my post in the last thread. I am just lurking here but I noticed that maybe the survivors appear to not have a concept of the world because of their isolation for most of the time. Even some contacts with the outside world and even going to school sometimes cannot be enough if you are abused and isolated as a child and adolescent.
In my much less severe case of isolation, my speaking skills did not develop well. I wasn't able to articulate myself, nor do any kind of small talk for a long time. I had to learn how to talk properly over the years. Stuff like this can make you lose your confidence and certain abilities.
It's difficult to describe but let's just say, if for the most time of your daily living situation you are under verbal control, abuse or physical isolation (most of the time, not all of the time), it is enough to have a serious effect on your abilities, skills. Especially communicative abilities. So maybe that explains why they seem to not have a concept of the world, maybe they indeed (some of them) only had glimpses of outside life but on top of that, all the abuse and torture. That just adds up to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels