Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wealth does not just affect business. It also affects family (or extended "family") who want their share of wealth.<snip>

ETA: and people can feel personally snubbed. That's got nothing to do with wealth. I'm not ready to concede the "it's got to be about wealth" as the sole possible rationale.

I was always scratching my head about a friend of Barry's whose initials are FD. None of the articles mention if if HS was OK with Barry bankrolling his schemes. I wonder if HS thought FD was using her husband & pressured BS to quit financing his $$$ ventures.Could the Shermans have had plans to cut FD loose from their purse strings? I just get the feeling that displeasing FD could be at the very least unpleasant at the worst extremely scary.Please read "dotr" post which summarizes a few of FD schemes paid for by BS. I would ask when discussing him to refer to him as FD because of TOS Rules.

This is a post is from Websleuths poster dotr. It is post #1094 from thread 2 I have included the following link to the original post
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...017-2&p=13834036&highlight=Frank#post13834036

A meal with Frank D&#8217;Angelo: Pitchman, entrepreneur, auteur
Over a boozy lunch, Canada&#8217;s beverage baron explains his latest reinvention and calls upon his Hollywood friends
http://www.macleans.ca/culture/movie...r-film-auteur/Jonathon Gatehouse

February 24, 2016
That phase of D&#8217;Angelo&#8217;s career came to a crashing halt in 2007, with his exit from his beverage empire and an ensuing $120-million corporate bankruptcy. Steelback no longer exists, but Frank is back in charge of D&#8217;Angelo Brands, a food and drink company that manufactures Arizona Ice Tea, and private labels for grocers. And he is still, somehow, friends and partners with the guy who was owed all that money&#8212;Bernard &#8220;Barry&#8221; Sherman, one of Canada&#8217;s richest men and the co-executive producer of Vampire.

D&#8217;Angelo also points to a pending distribution deal with an unnamed company for all five of his works. &#8220;We&#8217;re not gambling on them. We&#8217;ll do very well. We have star power.&#8221;

The &#8220;we&#8221; in this case is Frank and his best friend, Barry Sherman. The chairman of Apotex Inc., Canada&#8217;s largest generic drug maker, Sherman is ranked as the country&#8217;s 11th-wealthiest person, with a net worth of US$5.3 billion. &#8220;He&#8217;s a brilliant man. He&#8217;s partners in everything that I do,&#8221; says D&#8217;Angelo. &#8220;I trust his judgment. I&#8217;m out there. He&#8217;s the ABS brakes on my situation as a human being.&#8221; They met in 2002, when Sherman was selling a factory he had acquired in Tiverton, Ont., that also contained a small brewery. The relationship blossomed, with Sherman&#8217;s Wasanda Enterprises extending more and more financing for D&#8217;Angelo&#8217;s beverage dreams. At the time of the $120-million 2007 bankruptcy, Sherman was really the only creditor, and held the paper on everything Frank owned, including his home at the time, in Toronto&#8217;s Forest Hill neighbourhood.

Sherman rarely gives interviews, but D&#8217;Angelo is able to get him on the phone in short order and twist his arm. In the course of a five-minute conversation, he describes Frank as a &#8220;hard worker&#8221; at least eight times. Their business past was a disappointment, he acknowledges. &#8220;Some calculation errors were made that resulted in a substantial loss,&#8221; says Sherman, specifying that D&#8217;Angelo spent far too much promoting his brands and not enough distributing them. Yet that has no bearing on their current partnership. &#8220;When I make decisions, it&#8217;s always looking forwards, not backwards,&#8221; says Sherman. &#8220;And in terms of the films, I believe in him. The value substantially exceeds the costs.&#8221; The profits have yet to materialize, but Sherman doesn&#8217;t seem too worried. &#8220;I like helping people and Frank deserves to succeed.&#8221; We should all be lucky enough to have a friend like Barry.

Emphasis this is just my opinion:
I am only adding FD to the sketchy people we have discussed. There are a lot of people who wanted 'a piece of the Sherman fortune' my worst fear is some wouldn't take NO for an answer.

:cow:

Yeah, it sounds like the Florida residence. But I wouldn't read too much into that.
They'd have to check the place just as a routine precaution.
What if there was another crime scene there and nobody even bothered to check...

I couldn't hear the press questions, so some of the answers were not clear to me. At the service, Sen. Frum spoke of being at the Sherman cottage in Muskoka - would not this be a logical second property to search? From what I've read, Honey's impending visit to the Florida condo would have been their first of the season, whereas they had likely used the summer property more recently.

I might have missed it, but was he found guilty of this charge? I believe at this point he is just "accused" and alleged to have done these deeds.

I truly may have missed this, but otherwise we are treading a fine line here.
There were allegations made by Teva in court and reported in the news, so I think we're in the clear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CBC - just announced the piece they are doing on the Sherman murders will be aired next Friday, Feb. 2nd on the Fifth Estate @ 9:00 p.m.

Unusually for me, I have zero appetite to watch this - it just seems tasteless at this time.

Ok this isn't my only theory, but what if..

Barry had discovered something untoward about Mr X's operations at Apotex
He hadn't discussed it with anyone yet at work but he had confronted Mr X
He had discussed it with Honey and they had decided that Barry would deal with it and make it known to the board while Honey was in Florida. That could be the reason Barry was staying back to allow for meetings and a firing.
Perhaps Honey had personal friendship with Mr X and wanted to avoid the discomfort of being around when it happened.
Mr X, who maybe had another boss, had communicated with that other boss and said that whatever it was was about to come out.
That other boss organised the killings of the Shermans with instructions to make it look like suicides so that there would be no inquiry into what Barry knew or had found out.

When did Honey send that message saying she was coming out to Florida alone? Did she only close to that date make that decision?

The Mustang. Did it come out of the garage forward facing? Does that indicate Barry habitually reversed into the garage so that he could drive up the ramp forwards? If so, I'm a little surprised that Honey would park where she did, knowing Barry liked to reverse down the ramp. Why wouldn't Honey park up close to the front door (behind the blue car) so she wouldn't have to walk as far to let herself in? I wonder if Barry got there first. If Barry was being forced to drive into the garage I doubt he would have reversed in.

Just a few jumbled thoughts.

I couldn't hear the press questions, so some of the answers were not clear to me. At the service, Sen. Frum spoke of being at the Sherman cottage in Muskoka - would not this be a logical second property to search? From what I've read, Honey's impending visit to the Florida condo would have been their first of the season, whereas they had likely used the summer property more recently.

I can't be clear on this but I think one of the reporters asked if they were working with police in any other countries and she said no and then corrected herself to say yes, vis-a-vis the second property.

It seems that the police confirmed in the press conference the 2nd property was vis -a-vis not in Canada. If that was indeed stated by LE that would eliminate the Muskoga cottage as the 2nd property searched.

This is how I interpreted it but I have been wrong on 'ahem' oodles of occasions.
:cow:

Just thinking a bit further on the 'dinner' thing - if the couple met at the new property as reported in the one publication, to meet with the architect, and each arriving in separate vehicles - with BS having come straight from the office - I'm going to take a leap in thinking that the two likely had dinner at some point after that. And considering that the bodies were found relatively quickly, and an autopsy done - wouldn't LE have been able to determine a time and likely location of 'their last meal', which would give the ME a good indication of TOD, based on the food in the stomach. (Sorry if that's too graphic, but we read about this stuff all the time). How could the ME not know if they died Wed night or Thursday during the day? jmo

I had also thought they may have gone out for dinner after the architect meeting (posted this earlier) and thought they could estimate the TOD by undigested food in the stomach if in fact they did.

There is undoubtedly much more in the autopsy reports that has not been released.

This is an informative link...

Estimating the Time Of Death in Practical Homicide Investigations
http://www.practicalhomicide.com/Research/LOmar2007.htm

Various ingested food materials remain within the stomach for variable periods of time, depending on the nature and size of the meal. It has been determined through extensive research that under ordinary circumstances the stomach empties its contents four to 6 hours after a meal. If the stomach, at autopsy, is found to be filled with food, and digestion of the contents not extensive, it is reasonable to assume that death followed shortly after the meal. If the stomach is entirely empty, death probably took place at least 4 to 6 hours after the last meal. If the small intestine is also empty, the probability is that death took place at least 12 or more hours after the last meal. In certain cases the medical examiner will be able to determine the type of food, which still remains in the stomach, if matched with the last known meal. This can help establish a time period.

(Just noticed deugirtni posted this link too. That's what happens when I read the thread backwards trying to catch up!)

[FONT=&quot]Barinder Sandhu was Teva’s senior director of regulatory affairs for U.S. generics between 2014 and 2016 when, the lawsuit says, she used USB flash drives to download confidential files on her work-issued laptop, synced a folder titled “My Drive” with about 900 documents to a cloud-based account, and sent them to Jeremy Desai at his email account at Toronto-based Apotex, Canada’s largest manufacturer of generic pharmaceuticals.[/FONT]

Source: http://www.philly.com/philly/business/sex-drugs-and-sharing-trade-secrets-20170712.html

Teva, affairs, industrial espionage, 2 murders, a resignation. A sordid story.

YES, I agree!

http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/mandel-toronto-police-owe-apology-to-grieving-sherman-family

MANDEL: Toronto Police owe apology to grieving Sherman family

Updated: January 27, 2018 3:39 AM EST

Too little, too late.

Finally, Toronto Police confirm what everyone who loved and admired this billionaire couple knew to be true: Barry and Honey Sherman were the victims of a double homicide; Barry Sherman was not a killer who took the life of his beloved wife.
Finally, a long overdue admission by police that this was not the murder-suicide they’d assumed back in December.
[...]
Or had they known all along — or at least, pretty quickly — that this was a targeted murder – and simply didn’t bother to update the public and clear Sherman’s name?
[...]
True, the police have no obligation to share their investigative findings with the public. But it was their own leak that left the horrible impression Barry Sherman was a murderer; it was on the police to set the record straight as soon as they could.
Not six weeks later.
[...]
This was bungled and bungled badly. We are owed answers — but more importantly, the Sherman family is owed an apology.

I find it critical that LE stated BOTH Barry and Honey were targeted.

However, someone who wanted to cause Barry the utmost pain, would be sure to harm his beloved wife - without actually having Honey as a target based on something she did.

In the end, I guess I end up with this crime being very personal.

Which goes against my intuitive theory that their murders were a direct result of a sour business deal.

*sigh*
When I analyze this aspect, I come back to the cousin(s) every time. Who else likely knew Honey as closely as Barry? I understand that anyone could have wanted to harm HS to make BS suffer that much more, but I'm just thinking out loud here. JMO.

At the end of the day, the list is truly endless.

Source: http://www.philly.com/philly/business/sex-drugs-and-sharing-trade-secrets-20170712.html

Teva, affairs, industrial espionage, 2 murders, a resignation. A sordid story.
Sadly, I feel Honey was in the wrong place at the right time, arriving home prior to BS.
I WANT to think that they didn't plan to kill her too, but had to because she arrived home and discovered them, therefore could ID them.

I expect this to be a movie someday. One of those, you couldn't make this stuff up and if you did no one would believe it.

[emoji17] I am so sorry they were killed and I hope their children are OK.
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Joe Warmington and Mandel are bang on. However, I don't think for a minute anyone close to the family at the funeral believed the leaked police murder suicide theory.

We also have no idea what was told to the family and when. Also, in almost any case, immediate family has to be cleared as suspects. Since they were apparently all out of town that likely didn&#8217;t take long.

When I analyze this aspect, I come back to the cousin(s) every time. Who else likely knew Honey as closely as Barry? I understand that anyone could have wanted to harm HS to make BS suffer that much more, but I'm just thinking out loud here. JMO.

At the end of the day, the list is truly endless.

Me too. I keep coming back to it being very personal. I had a creepy thought that this person was visibly there, so Barry would see who was responsible...ultimate payback. Could it be now your kids are orphans too?

You are correct though...the list is endless.

But the point is... If he affected someone he likely did it through his business dealings. I dont think he interacted with people much for anything other than business.

What kind of motive can you imagine that does not have to do with his business affairs?
I actually agree with this. Even the issues the cousin(s) had, came down to business. Folks can feel personally slighted for a plethora of reasons, but the majority of, if not all, of BS's interactions were business related.

Of course there's things we may not know yet, but this is my hunch.

Sen Frum was referring to the time that HS and BS stayed at HER cottage in Muskoka.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.macle...-pays-tribute-to-barry-and-honey-sherman/amp/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa