FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #3 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida school shooting: Under pressure, sheriff defends 'amazing leadership'

http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2018/02/florida_school_shooting_under.html

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel told CNN that investigators are looking into claims that three other deputies were on the scene but failed to enter the school when the chance to save lives still existed. To date, the investigation pointed to only one deputy being on campus while the killer was present, he said.

I have a question. Can someone that has an IEP over the age of 18 sign off that they no longer want to be in the program?
I do wonder if after being suttled from school to school, if he might of decided he was done with the program.
I do understand that the school systems do have the obligation to educated him until he is 22. I have seen this happen with special needs students in main stream school. I have seen students that have recieved a certificate of completion before thier 22nd birthday, and the state is obligated to continue thier education in technical schools and such. I have also seen where special needs students stay in the mainstream school until thier 22nd birthday.
I just wonder what happens with a student that at 18 decides they no longer want to be in the program. Can they opt out?

I believe they can. He would be an adult. Unless he had some kind of guardianship established.

When they graduate, they then can go to college or technical school. I know depending on the disabilty, they can get accommodations . I am only familiar with someone who has word processing issues. She got some kind of help for taking notes, I have no idea what kind of accommodations they would have for a violent student.

The only student who I personally know did not continue after graduation, She was deemed unable to work so she is on Social Security, She has FAS.

What happens to people like Cruz? Believe me, there are thousands of them.Where are they after they are done with school?

Asked whether the killings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS might have been averted if his office*followed up on a slew of prior calls about the shooter being mentally unhinged, Sheriff Scott Israel responded with an absurd answer.

“If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, OJ Simpson would still be in the record books,” he said.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/25/florida-sheriff-refuses-to-resign-during-heated-cnn-interview/

What sort of "leader" makes these kind of comments after the deaths of 17 kids? What a garbage human being.

Thank you. I did not know these changes were made in 2014. The law change seems to stop the certificate program, but not the right for an education till they are 22. I may be reading it wrong.
My question is if at 18 he decided he didn't like the rules (such as the constant changes of schools) of the IEP program and wanted out what happens? Does he just walk away and if he wants to come back to the program before he is 22 he gets to? If after a certain amount of time (I believe he was out of school for a year) he doesn't attend classes is he dropped from the program?
Reports are that he was attending adult education classes. I wonder if qualified under the IEP program while attending these classes.
I am just curious how it works.

Once he is 18 he is an adult, The education until age 22 is Federal, not state so it applies to all states.

I think he would have his IEP status if he wished, but it seems that he did not,like the Special Needs label.

South Florida GOP lawmaker calls on Gov. Scott to remove Broward sheriff from office

As the Broward County Sheriff’s Office reviews its handling of the school shooting in Parkland, a South Florida lawmaker on Saturday called on Gov. Rick Scott to remove the sheriff from office for “neglect of duty and incompetence.”

Politics are behind this move, IMO. Parkland Fl. sit in a pocket of Democratic voters. Since Sheriff Israel has come
out and stated we need more gun control, etc. state legislators are going after him. Fl. is very pro-gun and pro-NRA, as is Repub. Gov. Scott. Just this past week when the
HS students from Broward Co. marched on Tallahassee and to meet with legislators, state lawmakers would not
address gun control issues but deemed *advertiser censored* a significant problem to take up.

Did the Snead’s appear on Dr. Phil? I haven’t researched it yet, wanted to ask first.

Politics are behind this move, IMO. Parkland Fl. sit in a pocket of Democratic voters. Since Sheriff Israel has come
out and stated we need more gun control, etc. state legislators are going after him. Fl. is very pro-gun and pro-NRA, as is Repub. Gov. Scott. Just this past week when the

HS students from Broward Co. marched on Tallahassee and to meet with legislators, state lawmakers would not
address gun control issues but deemed *advertiser censored* a significant problem to take up.

Enelram, genuinely asking your opinion. Do you think ignoring the dense amount of harmful information on Cruz is part of this same vein? TIA

Will we be more forgiving of schoolteachers if/when they freeze and fail to take action against a war machine?

An AR-15 is not "a war machine". God help our soldiers if they're going into a war with those!

I would think most teachers who had a clear shot would take it, to keep their class and themselves from being slaughtered. Unarmed personnel did not hesitate to save those lives however they could.

An AR-15 is not "a war machine". God help our soldiers if they're going into a war with those!

I would think most teachers who had a clear shot would take it, to keep their class and themselves from being slaughtered. Unarmed personnel did not hesitate to save those lives however they could.

No, I do not want to be cannon fodder because the US refuses to get rid of war machines, I do not want any teacher to die because some people think they have a right to have weapons that shred internal organs so they cannot be saved,

I imagine fewer and fewer people will be willing to become teachers. Why should a teacher die for someone’s child when many have their own children at home who will have the loss of a parent. What makes someone’s life more special than anyone else’s?

An AR-15 is a civilian counterpart of M-16.

"The military’s M-16 was originally fully automatic, meaning it fired several rounds with each pull of the trigger. Its civilian counterpart, the AR-15, is semiautomatic — the user needs to pull the trigger to fire each shot."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tions-about-the-ar-15/?utm_term=.882a499feb7e

Enelram, genuinely asking your opinion. Do you think ignoring the dense amount of harmful information on Cruz is part of this same vein? TIA

Not sure what you're asking- I'm a little slow.

No, they really wouldn't, and I would never ask a teacher to open fire on anyone, much less a student they may have taught. The teacher should be securing the classroom/area they are in and keeping children calm. Yeah, they might die shielding, but taking a life is a whole other ball of wax.

And yes, lol, the AR-15 is absolutely a war machine. Anything designed specifically to take out maximum human life in minimum time is a war machine, not a self defense mechanism.

If he had been arrested and charged as an adult, then probably. He was a minor during most of these incidents. Aren't the records of minors confidential? Do we have access to that info; has it been released publicly?

Are you suggesting that crimes committed by a minor don't count? Then what good would be the background check laws?

The issue is with a clear shot, IMO. A teacher with a gun in a room with children who are already terrified who pulls out a gun with said children runs the risk of the children running between the teacher and the shooter as they are trying to get away. We teach children to move away from guns, what is a 7 year old or 10 year old to do. I don't think you can ask them to listen to anyone saying it's okay with a gun drawn-- too traumatic. The unarmed personnel killed were in the hallways or in the doorways. And, yes, they gave their lives to protect children. But, my bias here is that trained LEO or military should be doing this job not teachers. Trained officers or military have the ability to scan the building, look for threats and stop a shooter before they enter rather than having to wait until the gunfire is in the hall and then act. Again, my opinion and since this is all opinion I am happy to share.

If you look at the philosophy of Broward Sheriff Office- they have several programs aimed at helping to keep young
'offenders' of minor offenses from having a criminal record and out of jail. They have pretty good statistics for it being
a successful program. So yes, this would run counter to the old school politicians who would say 'hang 'em high'.
You have to understand the culture clashes in Florida- Much, much diversity.

Are you suggesting that crimes committed by a minor don't count? Then what good would be the background check laws?

Exactly, Juvenile records are sealed, probably in every state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pag2507