TX - Austin Package Bombs #3

I think Chief Manley might be too close to the situation. For now I'm going to assume he's inexperienced (with serial bombers, not as a cop) and compassionate. Maybe the bomber said something in his recording that spoke to Manley? I have no idea how to explain it but I've been so impressed by the APD (even before this) that I want to think positive and give him the benefit of the doubt.

That's what I thought, something that hit home.
We haven't heard the confession tape yet so maybe it will make sense soon.

That's what I thought, something that hit home.
We haven't heard the confession tape yet so maybe it will make sense soon.

Exhaustion is also probably part of this, combined with learning the profile of the killer. Manley and others have probably gotten very little sleep, if any, in the last week or so. I agree, Manley has done an excellent job in all other aspects of this case. But like most local LE is probably not as well versed in expert profiling of perps in these kinds of crimes. Sadly, he and others are being educated. Horrible thing for communities to experience.

First, as a mother of a child on the spectrum, I would hate for people to think MAC was autistic and this is a logical place for a child with autism to end up in life. It's so far from the truth, so I really hope that wasn't intended to sound like how I read it.

Also, here is a neighbor discussing the family and MAC. I don't know if it's been posted in other threads, but it kinda hints how religious the family is.

"It was a very 'us versus them' type of household," he said. "I'm guessing that was a catalyst that led Mark to believe what he thought."
The family held regular get-togethers at their East Pfluger Street home. It was "not a cult," but may have been mistaken for one, the former co-worker said.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...ber-was-quiet-normal-friends-and-12770427.php

First, as a mother of a child on the spectrum, I would hate for people to think MAC was autistic and this is a logical place for a child with autism to end up in life. It's so far from the truth, so I really hope that wasn't intended to sound like how I read it.

Also, here is a neighbor discussing the family and MAC. I don't know if it's been posted in other threads, but it kinda hints how religious the family is.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...ber-was-quiet-normal-friends-and-12770427.php

What an interesting thing to say, and if he wasn't a member how would he know?

t was "not a cult," but may have been mistaken for one, the former co-worker said.

This guy is a terrorist plain and simple. Right Wing radical. All one needs to do is check out his social media, his anti gay school essay, (talk about nuts,and bolts) one of his FB PICS states he supports cops not ****s. Clearly he hates BLM, and women his puritanical beliefs on abortion. (Basical keep a dime between your knees)
I've heard the shock because people describe him as 'Godly,'and 'Christian'. As if someone who is 'Godly'and 'christian' could not be terrorist.
If it walks like a duck,and talks like a duck It's a duck.
Terrorist go around bombing people on their list of undesirables.
Do people not think he's a terrorist because he's a 'Godly' Christian? What gives?
Mathew 7:15

From what I have heard in MSM, it would appear the targets were random, not on a list of “undesirables”.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ombing-suspect-mark-conditt-friend-describes/

Manley suggested that there might never be a clear motive, noting where the explosives were placed or addressed seems random

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Fry’s Electronics invoices show a single credit card purchase from Conditt on Feb. 27, only three days before the first bomb killed House. The receipt reveals he purchased 10 resistors, 5 battery cases, and additional “electrical components,” Meyer said. She later learned those pieces had been consistent with those used to create the exploding parcels."

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...-austin-bomber-more-than-a-week-ago/23392665/

Good article at your link. This also stands out:

They kept their children out of public schools so they wouldn't see "the bad stuff in society," said the man, who worked with Conditt's father and spent time at their home.

"It was a very 'us versus them' type of household," he said. "I'm guessing that was a catalyst that led Mark to believe what he thought."

This sounds much like "othering". It's a way of using your belief system to classify others as less worthy, less human than yourself and others who share your beliefs. It allows people to separate themselves, place themselves on a pedestal above others.

It also allows people to "dehumanize" other people, a key component in psychopathic and sociopathic violent behavior. When you dehumanize others who you feel are inferior, you have no empathy and, in some cases, feel no guilt about inflicting harm upon them.

https://therearenoothers.wordpress.com/2011/12/28/othering-101-what-is-othering/

Reinforcing group identity is a normal human behavior, but sometimes it can get out of hand.

“The most critical component here would have been time,” he said. “The time to tinker with circuits, device construction, how to successfully put things into a box, and then test those circuits without hurting yourself.”

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article...self-taught-and-thats-scaring-law-enforcement

He most likely started experimenting in his pre-teens/teens and nobody noticed or thought it was dangerous. You can search How to Make A bomb on youtube, lots of info online.

"The Austin Stone Community Church, which Conditt and Jensen reportedly attended, is a multi-campus fundamentalist megachurch featuring lots of sermons about sexual morality, arguing that only heterosexual married people should have sex, homosexuality is wrong and abortion is evil. One sermon from the period when Jensen said he and Conditt had attended Austin Stone, for instance, features the preacher railing against women who read "Fifty Shades of Grey," comparing them to the "cows of Bashan" -- a Biblical reference signifying beautiful, pampered possessions -- and telling them that marriage "is not for your happiness." "

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/22/we...bombings-sure-feel-like-right-wing-terrorism/

I have a feeling we've had enough warnings. If race comes up again, you guys can likely say bye-bye to this thread.

I missed some of the thread from earlier today - has there been any word about a girlfriend or ex-girlfriend?

Nope, as far as I’ve read. And it’s important to know since some of MAC’s rage could’ve been directed outward, like being recently dumped, or inward, like being sexually frustrated or brainwashed that he was “bad.”

Oh I sure hope there are FOIAs flying right now for MAC’s video manifesto. This “very challenged” descriptor may be an attempt to hide this kid’s misplaced anger and why he became a terrorist.

<modsnip>

As it's been said, it it comes to be that LE feels that this was racially motivated, then we can talk about it all we want, but right now, it's just starting arguments and people are getting defensive and it's becoming more about our feelings than the facts of the case.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2018-03-16/domestic-terrorism-in-austin/

Neither package came through any licensed delivery service, leading investigators to believe they were being dropped off overnight. Manley said officials have asked neighbors for any surveillance video that may have recorded the package being placed. "We want the community to be aware that this has happened, and obviously there is the possibility that these are related," he said. "So if you find any suspicious packages on your front porch, at your residence, do not handle them, but instead call 911 and let us come out and take a look at those packages and ensure that they are safe."....

....Though two of the three households targeted were African-American and the other Latino, Manley told reporters during a subsequent brief that investigators wouldn't yet classify the bombings as hate crimes and couldn't establish a defined motive. "We are not ruling anything out at this point, because when you rule something out you limit the focus of the investigation and you might miss something," he said.

"The Austin Stone Community Church, which Conditt and Jensen reportedly attended, is a multi-campus fundamentalist megachurch featuring lots of sermons about sexual morality, arguing that only heterosexual married people should have sex, homosexuality is wrong and abortion is evil. One sermon from the period when Jensen said he and Conditt had attended Austin Stone, for instance, features the preacher railing against women who read "Fifty Shades of Grey," comparing them to the "cows of Bashan" -- a Biblical reference signifying beautiful, pampered possessions -- and telling them that marriage "is not for your happiness." "

https://www.salon.com/2018/03/22/we...bombings-sure-feel-like-right-wing-terrorism/

Hilarous, since this church itself has made pretty big news throughout the state for their own handling of sexual assault.

I think fundamentalist beliefs are going to play a big part in mindset here. JMO.

How in the WORLD did this turn into a race issue?

Speaking of issues, I will be issuing timeouts and bans for disrupting the discussion.

LEAVE RACE OUT OF IT.

Tricia

bumping, in case someone missed

Hilarous, since this church itself has made pretty big news throughout the state for their own handling of sexual assault.

I think fundamentalist beliefs are going to play a big part in mindset here. JMO.

I thought that article did a good job of explaining why Austin residents would feel particularly targeted for being liberal/progressive, it feels like terrorism to us, whether FBI will label it as Domestic Terrorism or not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back