NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question that I often think of with missing persons in the woods cases. If animals scavenge the body and then scatter the bones, how long does it take for the body to "vanish"? I figure if separate animals take bits of the body and bones "here and there" in a densely wooded forest, scattered bones wouldn't be as obvious to a casual observer. Perhaps some bones are under some leaves, some are in a den and more are just buried as time marches on. Does anyone have any information on that? I figure this sort of thing happens to many missing persons cases which is why bodies can be lost forever. however, if it takes over 1 year for animals to completely remove a body from a site, it kind of defeats my theory.

Oh geez, I used to live on 30 wooded acres, on a river, tucked down a couple gravel roads. Once, a UPS truck hit a deer in our (extremely long) gravel driveway. There was no evidence of it hours later because of all the scavengers. Add to that leaves, pine needles, etc., and a body can disappear very quickly. Clothes, jewelry, etc., can last much longer, but again, those can be scattered around a site when scavengers are doing what they do, and then those clothes and other personal effects can be quickly buried.

Wasn't there some underwear or something that was found in the area and Maura's sister said it wasn't hers? Would Maura's sister really be able to recognize that?

Does any one have any more information about Thomas M Conrad's 2005 Murder in Pike ( North Haverhill) NH ? There are rummors his death is related to Maura.

Does any one have any more information about Thomas M Conrad's 2005 Murder in Pike ( North Haverhill) NH ? There are rummors his death is related to Maura.

Ah, no, why don't you tell us about it?

"More information" than what?

My understanding is he was shot in his driveway, seemingly for no reason, shooter was never caught, and that was about it.

I'd heard in the past that his murder was rumored to be somehow related to Maura's disappearance, but don't ever recall a good explanation as to why people thought that.

The only commonalities I know of are being in close proximity to one another and being difficult to explain.

You know someone is going to try to connect any crime committed in the state of New Hampshire to Maura Murray. Even if there is no other conective tissue other than it happening in the same state.

In anycase Thomas Conrad was a man in his mid '50's. Just a little different profile than Maura. Often times predators stick with the same type of victim.

It really depends on which type of animals reside there (i.e., bears, wolves, coyotes, foxes, wild dog packs, vultures, etc), how many of these animals are in the area, how much food they have available, if they have their homes nearby, if the body is exposed to sunlight, the type of weather there, the composition of the ground (i.e., acidic soil like in a peat bog, dry sand, mangrove roots, prairie, rock, etc). I worked as a Park Ranger for about 5 years, and one day I received a call on my personal cell phone from my Captain, asking me to meet him in this one area of the woods next to a road. I knew some serious incident had occurred, since he could have easily contacted me on my radio (though the dispatcher would have heard our conversation) and clearly wanted to keep things confidential. I arrived on-scene to discover a new Mercedes that had gone off the road and crashed head-on into an old, massive oak tree; it struck so hard and stopped so quickly that the entire engine block was ripped out by this force - thrown right through the hood, landing around 10' in front of the car. We estimated that the accident occurred around 3am - my Captain found the wreck at 7am; he had heard a large number of coyotes howling and crying, and went to investigate. The single male occupant of the vehicle clearly died immediately upon impact with the tree - the coyotes were in a frenzy because they were eating the victim (they were pulling what little was left of his insides all over the car, and they were fighting each other for them). The Coroner arrived to recover mainly just a skull and bones... I have no doubt that if the bones had been left there they would have been carried off by the coyotes very quickly...

I have a question that I often think of with missing persons in the woods cases. If animals scavenge the body and then scatter the bones, how long does it take for the body to "vanish"? I figure if separate animals take bits of the body and bones "here and there" in a densely wooded forest, scattered bones wouldn't be as obvious to a casual observer. Perhaps some bones are under some leaves, some are in a den and more are just buried as time marches on. Does anyone have any information on that? I figure this sort of thing happens to many missing persons cases which is why bodies can be lost forever. however, if it takes over 1 year for animals to completely remove a body from a site, it kind of defeats my theory.

Some people just love conspiracy theories, but it's important to remember that in the vast majority of cases, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one. Maura was emotionally unstable at best, she was intoxicated, and she just crashed her car. She already had a history of interactions with the police as well... As such, I suspect she was concerned that she was going to have the police called on her, and ran into the woods to hide. It's there I believe she'd gotten lost, and most likely succumbed to the cold that night.

It really depends on which type of animals reside there (i.e., bears, wolves, coyotes, foxes, wild dog packs, vultures, etc), how many of these animals are in the area, how much food they have available, if they have their homes nearby, if the body is exposed to sunlight, the type of weather there, the composition of the ground (i.e., acidic soil like in a peat bog, dry sand, mangrove roots, prairie, rock, etc). I worked as a Park Ranger for about 5 years, and one day I received a call on my personal cell phone from my Captain, asking me to meet him in this one area of the woods next to a road. I knew some serious incident had occurred, since he could have easily contacted me on my radio (though the dispatcher would have heard our conversation) and clearly wanted to keep things confidential. I arrived on-scene to discover a new Mercedes that had gone off the road and crashed head-on into an old, massive oak tree; it struck so hard and stopped so quickly that the entire engine block was ripped out by this force - thrown right through the hood, landing around 10' in front of the car. We estimated that the accident occurred around 3am - my Captain found the wreck at 7am; he had heard a large number of coyotes howling and crying, and went to investigate. The single male occupant of the vehicle clearly died immediately upon impact with the tree - the coyotes were in a frenzy because they were eating the victim (they were pulling what little was left of his insides all over the car, and they were fighting each other for them). The Coroner arrived to recover mainly just a skull and bones... I have no doubt that if the bones had been left there they would have been carried off by the coyotes very quickly...

May I ask what area of the country this was in?

I tend to believe you are wright, but I dont hope youre wright. But why is het body or her remains never found??

Ugh. Hopefully those two guys on the Missing Maura Murray podcast aren't getting compensated much for making those videos. Hopefully there aren't too many people crazy enough to pay those guys on patreon (which is how youtubers get paid these days). I just watched a bit of their latest video and they are now making some of the biggest stretches I have seen them make so far. In the latest video they took a serial killer who was living in Utah at the time Maura went missing. He rented a car from Utah on the 6th and brought it back with just 500 added miles to it. And based on just that amount of flimsy evidence they made an entire video about how he could have been the one to kill Maura. Never mind that he still would have had to buy a plane ticket and/or rent an entirely different car to get to the point Maura disappeared at (neither of which there is any evidence of to have happened).

I'm starting to think at this point that those two are more interested in being youtube stars than they are in doing any good for this case.

Ugh. Hopefully those two guys on the Missing Maura Murray podcast aren't getting compensated much for making those videos. Hopefully there aren't too many people crazy enough to pay those guys on patreon (which is how youtubers get paid these days). I just watched a bit of their latest video and they are now making some of the biggest stretches I have seen them make so far. In the latest video they took a serial killer who was living in Utah at the time Maura went missing. He rented a car from Utah on the 6th and brought it back with just 500 added miles to it. And based on just that amount of flimsy evidence they made an entire video about how he could have been the one to kill Maura. Never mind that he still would have had to buy a plane ticket and/or rent an entirely different car to get to the point Maura disappeared at (neither of which there is any evidence of to have happened).

I'm starting to think at this point that those two are more interested in being youtube stars than they are in doing any good for this case.

You're right about that, I feel like money has corrupt them. It used to be a fun podcast and then around episode 30 they made a big deal about how they were going to wrap it up and be done with it unless something new came to the forefront only to do another 43 episodes on the case essentially going over the same things. That to me casts doubt over their intentions and their credibility, also part of the reason why I myself stopped listening and caring for it as I'm sure other people have.

I certainly believe there could be an element of a chance encounter that led to her disappearance. However that is a huge stretch to consider someone living elsewhere who just happened to be in NH at the time.

I tend to think a lot of odds were defied in relation to Maura going missing (wrong place at wrong time, all potential witnesses essentially looking away that the same time, small window of opportunity etc) but taking that a step further and considering a random serial killer from outside of the New England area who just happened to be traveling in NH at the time....that would just be too many coincidences.

I would say that because the tracking dogs were able to trace a scent within 100-yards from her vehicle, it's safe to assume she got a ride from someone. Nevertheless, I think she made it to her target destination where she planned to commit suicide.

This would explain the sobing message on the boyfriend's voicemail. Also, if she fell victim to the elements in the crash area, then her backpack would have been found by now.

I would say that because the tracking dogs were able to trace a scent within 100-yards from her vehicle, it's safe to assume she got a ride from someone. Nevertheless, I think she made it to her target destination where she planned to commit suicide.

This would explain the sobing message on the boyfriend's voicemail. Also, if she fell victim to the elements in the crash area, then her backpack would have been found by now.

If you're refering to the call that Bill Rausch got after Maura went missing, it was since determined that it wasn't Maura but rather the Red Cross who was trying to contact Bill.

If you're refering to the call that Bill Rausch got after Maura went missing, it was since determined that it wasn't Maura but rather the Red Cross who was trying to contact Bill.

Hmmm.. Didn't know that. They didn't mention it on the wiki page. That changes things a bit.

Thanks for pointing it out. I will rethink this and come back.

Hmmm.. Didn't know that. They didn't mention it on the wiki page. That changes things a bit.

Thanks for pointing it out. I will rethink this and come back.

Have you watched the Missing Maura Murray podcast or read James Renner's blog about the case? Both talked about it several times, it was determined that the caller wasn't Maura.

Have you watched the Missing Maura Murray podcast or read James Renner's blog about the case? Both talked about it several times, it was determined that the caller wasn't Maura.

No I haven't watched any of these podcast, but I can tell you that I really am a Park Ranger. If there is any thing dead in the forest the buzzerds find it very quickly, even if it's as small as a possom. They are exsperts at smelling death. If she was anywhere near the crash scene she would have been found very quickly. The buzzersds don't lie. When you see them swarm, then something is there.

Like I said, her backpack would have been found. I live in the forest, and if you watch my video in my signature you will see that nothing much exscaps us.

Also, it would have been impossible for her to have ran into the woods. The woods would have been pitch black. Without a flashlight you can't see 1-foot in front of you. She wouldn't have made it very far.

No I haven't watched any of these podcast, but I can tell you that I really am a Park Ranger. If there is any thing dead in the forest the buzzerds find it very quickly, even if it's as small as a possom. They are exsperts at smelling death. If she was anywhere near the crash scene she would have been found very quickly. The buzzersds don't lie. When you see them swarm, then something is there.

Like I said, her backpack would have been found. I live in the forest, and if you watch my video in my signature you will see that nothing much exscaps us.

I don't disagree with you on that so I'm not sure why you brought it up, I too doubt she ran into the woods. What I was saying is that the part about her calling her boyfriend is untrue and has been debunked a while ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member