Norway Norway - Isdalen, WhtFem 503UFNOR, multiple aliases, multilingual, Nov'70

Are there any images of her hotel registration cards in the NRK report? What about her notes (in shorthand/code)??

Has everything in the notes been deciphered? I've seen images of this elsewhere but I'm unsure about a few of the abbreviations... such as "TOS", "MM" AND "ML"?

Are there any images of her hotel registration cards in the NRK report? What about her notes (in shorthand/code)??

I've not trawled back through the NRK reports but there are images of several hotel registration cards in this BBC report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39369429

Has everything in the notes been deciphered? I've seen images of this elsewhere but I'm unsure about a few of the abbreviations... such as "TOS", "MM" AND "ML"?

The BBC report mentions that "Police eventually crack some of the coded note" so presumably there are parts of it they haven't.

KGB
Reminds me of the man found dead on the beach with similar mysterious “code”

I've not trawled back through the NRK reports but there are images of several hotel registration cards in this BBC report:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39369429

The BBC report mentions that "Police eventually crack some of the coded note" so presumably there are parts of it they haven't.

Thank you for the link!

Looks as if TOS could represent several different cities (no way to know for sure, I suppose).

Does the fact that she doesn't include that slanted line thing (lol... I have no idea what that's called) on the top of the number 1 on her hotel registration cards suggest she didn't learn to write while living in Germany??

I keep reviewing the "new" NRK maps (showing where she lived as a child/teens), trying to overlay them with maps during the 30's-40's... trying to get an idea of how/why she/her family might have moved north... but with WWII and sooo many things happening during this time period... it's seems nearly impossible. I think I've mostly just spent my time history-learning (had never heard of Danube Swabians til the other evening) and landing on nothing terribly useful regarding this UID.

I noticed comments elsewhere suspecting a similar situation as with Aud Rigmor Graefe.

I had forgotten info (from NRK report) that it's likely she learned to write in France. **Just correcting myself here

Thank you for the link!

Looks as if TOS could represent several different cities (no way to know for sure, I suppose).

Since individual letters seemed to represent cities, S could be Stavanger.

Does the fact that she doesn't include that slanted line thing (lol... I have no idea what that's called) on the top of the number 1 on her hotel registration cards suggest she didn't learn to write while living in Germany??

I don't know how widespread that feature is. Our Polish neighbours have painted their house number on their bins using an upward stroke on the 1 so it is presumably how handwriting is taught in Poland.

I keep reviewing the "new" NRK maps (showing where she lived as a child/teens), trying to overlay them with maps during the 30's-40's... trying to get an idea of how/why she/her family might have moved north... but with WWII and sooo many things happening during this time period... it's seems nearly impossible. I think I've mostly just spent my time history-learning (had never heard of Danube Swabians til the other evening) and landing on nothing terribly useful regarding this UID.

See my post #166 for my thoughts on this.

I don't know how widespread that feature is. Our Polish neighbours have painted their house number on their bins using an upward stroke on the 1 so it is presumably how handwriting is taught in Poland.

That's correct.

Thanks!

I also noticed the handwritten numbers on the form labeled "Corpse To Be Identified" (completed by authorities in Norway)... there's no upstroke on the "1" but there is a cross through the 7.

Upstroke or no upstroke... I guess it means nothing.

This lengthy German article says that isotope analysis suggests she grew up in Germany until she was 4 years old (Franconia, Nuremberg area).
Handwriting analysis indicates a French, Belgian or Luxembourgian background. They think she might have moved from Franconia to the Franco-German border area.
http://www.zeit.de/2018/03/isdal-frau-norwegen-tote-ermittlungen/komplettansicht

Google translated content:
https://translate.googleusercontent...700201&usg=ALkJrhjYATAquZ2QnDIpw9rBVHh3GwlAPA

And, then there's the French?European writing of the number 9 with the under-stroke. To my American-English-only eyes looks like a "g".

While living in areas of France, Belgium, and/or Luxembourg and learning to write (guessing 1930s-1940s) either she was not taught to use the upstroke on the number 1 nor the understroke on 9. OR she dropped the use of these strokes as an adult.

'Either way seem odd to me. I think it's difficult to just drop handwriting styles learned as a child... but I know only American/English writing. And, likely shouldn't speculate on any this again. lol

And, then there's the French?European writing of the number 9 with the under-stroke. To my American-English-only eyes looks like a "g".

While living in areas of France, Belgium, and/or Luxembourg and learning to write (guessing 1930s-1940s) either she was not taught to use the upstroke on the number 1 nor the understroke on 9. OR she dropped the use of these strokes as an adult.

'Either way seem odd to me. I think it's difficult to just drop handwriting styles learned as a child... but I know only American/English writing. And, likely shouldn't speculate on any this again. lol

It may all hinge on when she was born and the age at which she moved.

The latest thinking puts her birth between 1926 and 1934 (1930 +/- 4 years).

So if she was born in 1926 her family would have moved in 1930. Although the Nazi Party was not elected to national government until 1933 my understanding is that the Nuremburg area was a hotbed of Nazi Party activity before then so it's possible the family fled activity in the Nuremburg area but didn't necessarily feel the need to flee Germany completely. So maybe her parents, or at least her father, was involved in Leftist politics or trade union activities.

If she was born in 1930, then it's possible the family fled after the elections which brought the Nazi Party to power, in which case they probably did flee across the border into France or Luxembourg. The question then would be what they did after 1940 when Germany invaded northern France, Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands. Where could they have gone to? The UK is probably ruled out by the fact that the Isdal Woman is reported to have spoken very poor English. Sweden and Switzerland were both neutral and would have been safe but there's no indication that she spoke Swedish.

If she was born as late as 1934, then Kristallnacht in 1938 could have been the trigger to the family moving when she was around 4 years old.

This is of course assuming her family was fleeing the Nazis. Her father could simply have been in the sort of job that could have had him posted from one part of the country to another, such as an engineer or railway worker or in the military in some capacity.

In any event, if she was only 4 when the family moved she would have been below school age so would have learned her handwriting after her migration to the France/Luxembourg/Belgium area, and the style was sufficiently engrained for it to have remained for life.

I think if they exhume her body as part of the investigation, isotope tests on her hair would help to fill in the blanks in her movements during the last 18 months of her life.

Thinking about this, she was known to have travelled between Oslo, Stavanger and Trondheim, so it's likely the TOS refers to a specific journey between those cities.

Thinking about this, she was known to have travelled between Oslo, Stavanger and Trondheim, so it's likely the TOS refers to a specific journey between those cities.

Having looked at a map, it seems that to travel between Stavanger and Trondheim by rail you would have to go via Oslo. It would in theory be possible to travel by road and avoid Oslo but the route would be using much more minor roads on which public transport would probably be much less available - if indeed there was any at all. The only other way to avoid Oslo would be to travel by sea.

"Death in Ice Valley, made as a joint production with NRK (Norway’s licence-funded, public-service broadcasting channel), won’t be broadcast at all via the normal schedules but can only be listened to as a podcast.

The Norwegian journalist Marit Higraff has spent the past two years investigating the case, intrigued to understand how a person can disappear and no one come to find her. She is now working with the documentary maker Neil McCarthy for the BBC to create ten initial episodes, which will be available weekly to those who sign up from 16 April, and may continue for longer, depending on what may be discovered."

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-multilingual-Nov-70/page13&highlight=isdalen

"Death in Ice Valley, made as a joint production with NRK (Norway’s licence-funded, public-service broadcasting channel), won’t be broadcast at all via the normal schedules but can only be listened to as a podcast.

The Norwegian journalist Marit Higraff has spent the past two years investigating the case, intrigued to understand how a person can disappear and no one come to find her. She is now working with the documentary maker Neil McCarthy for the BBC to create ten initial episodes, which will be available weekly to those who sign up from 16 April, and may continue for longer, depending on what may be discovered."

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-multilingual-Nov-70/page13&highlight=isdalen

The podcast is very interesting as is the NRK series (both are in norwegian though). There is still a lot of interest in the case here in Bergen.

The podcast is very interesting as is the NRK series (both are in norwegian though). There is still a lot of interest in the case here in Bergen.

I think the NRK series has been translated into English. Or am I confusing with another Norwegian media who translated their work into English ?

Can you enlighten me, please ? Because I'm not sure I'm not mixing up with something else.
However, I am sure it was about this case. I'd had put my hand in the fire it's about this specific case, as we say in French ("I'd had put my hand in the fire about" is a French idiom meaning "I'm 150% certain about". It doesn't mean any self harm. Just wanted to clarify before someone gets worried. If you know of a better idiom in English, feel free !! :-D )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back