CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone was asking for a link to this interview, cannot recall if it was located or not, but here is a repost.
[h=1]Full Interview: Golden State Killer investigator Paul Holes[/h]Paul Holes, a key investigator behind catching the notorious and elusive Golden State Killer, also known as the East Area Rapist and Original Night Stalker, shared with KTVU reporter Amber Lee new details about the suspect and the case.
May 2 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP1gni1gGvk

The only thing not getting divorced barred them from was getting remarried. It appears they both moved on with their lives amicably. It's not the norm, but it's not unheard of, and, in the end, it probably prevented a costly, contentious divorce.

No matter how amicable the split, things can really turn to garbage when the lawyers get involved. His wife probably knows that better than anyone.

It doesn't sound as if they had an amicable arrangement:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04...spects-ex-wife-said-there-was-always-trouble/

Did the East Area Rapist have an accomplice? 'That is a possibility,' detective says

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.sacbee.com/latest-news/article210658154.html

From the link:

Detective Paul Holes, credited with coming up with the family-tree tracing method that caught suspect Joseph James DeAngelo last month, said Monday it's possible two people were involved in some of the crimes.

"Those of us who are familiar with the case files recognize that is a possibility," Holes said. "I've always just held open the possibility of a second person assisting in a few cases, but not being active through the whole series."

Perhaps the items were stolen property from the burglaries? Surely they checked out these items? This was '79 and he was still married and a police officer at the time? The ex. Police chief should have investigated.
When I posted that comment I should have made it clear that my belief is based upon my interpretation of Deputydawg’s comment and nothing more. The reason being, it’s my understanding that no information obtained from the recent search of DeAngelo’s residence is being released.

'I named him Mister Happy': Cafe owner recalls interactions with Golden State Killer suspect

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/arti...earons-citrus-heights-restaurant-12894311.php

From the link:

When Citrus Heights cafe owner Charlene Carte saw a photo of the man police say is the Golden State Killer, she was astounded to realize he'd been one of her regulars for years.

In an interview with Fox40, Carte, who owns Charlie's Cafe, said she recognized Joseph DeAngelo as the man who frequented her restaurant weekly. Carte said he stood out, in part, because of his livid reactions to small mistakes.

WHAT WAS THE GOLDEN STATE KILLER SUSPECT JOSEPH DEANGELO LIKE AS A YOUNG MAN?

http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/what-was-golden-state-killer-suspect-james-deangelo-like-young-man

From the link:

Old colleagues said he was aloof and overeducated. He didn't reveal a lot about his personal life, leaving his co-workers in the dark about his dark side.

>snip<

“He didn't fit in with the other guys,” Ward said. “We liked to joke and screw around and take the stress off of what we were doing. He was always serious."

He told the Los Angeles Times that working with DeAngelo was pleasant but they never really bonded.

"I liked him, but he's not the type of guy that I'd have over for a barbecue. He's just … stand-offish. Too serious. Seems like he's always thinking," he said, adding that he never revealed much about himself.

I know - that does seem very odd, and especially so if he really "disappeared" for a number of years and I don't think anyone has found any evidence he was employed during those missing years, either.

If I am correct on the time-frame, his missing years would have been when the daughters were growing up. If he wasn't working, there likely was no financial support from him. It doesn't appear there was a reconciliation between the two of them, either, at least not from what his wife's neighbors reported. They also lived in separate homes.

His wife is an attorney, so I imagine she must have had a good reason to not divorce him (if that is true), but I cannot imagine what that reason could possibly be!

Last time this part of the discussion came up, I tried three times to add to it but cyberspace kept eating my posts, lol so I gave up.

I recently heard of a couple who hate each other. They've been married a long time and the love is long gone.

But they acquired a lot of things they both earned together. A Gem business, houses. property, vintage vehicles. They are worth a lot of money. They will not divorce because both think they should have it all and don't want to split it as they think their partner didn't contribute as much. So they stay married, each living in a different state. They are both frugal and don't spend much but they won't divorce. They are waiting to see who is the last one standing and gets it all. LOL

So maybe JJD and his wife are like that??? No divorce, no division of property, not having to share. Just an idea.

... also added to media thread ...

Neighbor: ‘Golden State Killer’ suspect, ex-wife had ‘epic shouting matches’

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04...spects-ex-wife-said-there-was-always-trouble/

“He would come by on a regular basis and scream and yell from the driveway and never step inside,” said the neighbor, who didn’t want his name used. “He and Sharon would get in epic shouting battles. It was a very volatile relationship when he came over and it was not good. It was just very toxic.”

From time to time, the neighbor would walk outside his front door and tell DeAngelo to “cool it.” And as much as he wanted to confront him more directly, he’s glad he kept his distance.

“He was just unstable and used a lot of profanity and had a really bad temper and it was ugly to see.”

I find it extremely strange for a couple to be separated (legally or otherwise) for 27 years without dissolving the union.

Most (normal) folks want to move forward with their lives after a relationship doesn't work out.

Money. It's always about money. Alimony is a b**ch! So is divulging too deep into assets. A layer, especially a divorce lawyer would know this.

The only thing not getting divorced barred them from was getting remarried. It appears they both moved on with their lives amicably. It's not the norm, but it's not unheard of, and, in the end, it probably prevented a costly, contentious divorce.

No matter how amicable the split, things can really turn to garbage when the lawyers get involved. His wife probably knows that better than anyone.

"amicably."? Not according to neighbors who listened to their fights.

WHAT WAS THE GOLDEN STATE KILLER SUSPECT JOSEPH DEANGELO LIKE AS A YOUNG MAN?

http://www.oxygen.com/crime-time/what-was-golden-state-killer-suspect-james-deangelo-like-young-man

From the link:

Old colleagues said he was aloof and overeducated. He didn't reveal a lot about his personal life, leaving his co-workers in the dark about his dark side.

>snip<

&#8220;He didn't fit in with the other guys,&#8221; Ward said. &#8220;We liked to joke and screw around and take the stress off of what we were doing. He was always serious."

He told the Los Angeles Times that working with DeAngelo was pleasant but they never really bonded.

"I liked him, but he's not the type of guy that I'd have over for a barbecue. He's just &#8230; stand-offish. Too serious. Seems like he's always thinking," he said, adding that he never revealed much about himself.

Spending way too much plotting. Sounds like he had an active mind. ugh..

Money. It's always about money. Alimony is a b**ch! So is divulging too deep into assets. A layer, especially a divorce lawyer would know this.

That's true, but I think a divorce lawyer would also know there are some potential financial risks that can't even be measured when a person remains legally married to an estranged spouse. Perhaps she got a legal separation. Hopefully we'll learn more as time goes on.

That's true, but I think a divorce lawyer would also know there are some potential financial risks that can't even be measured when a person remains legally married to an estranged spouse. Perhaps she got a legal separation. Hopefully we'll learn more as time goes on.

Then I'm guessing... it was worth the risk.

First, nothing was formally filed in 1991. We still printed all divorce actions in the newspaper back then--unless one of them filed in another county, but it seems like they were both in Sacramento.

Second--community property. As controlling as JJD was, would he have given up half his stuff? Or sold the house in Citrus Heights to pay her half the value? Or even wanted to go through the deep dive into his finances and how he got everything he had?

Separated was probably better for him, and from what I've read in the posts, she probably just didn't want to open that particular can of worms.

The worst file I ever saw at work involved people who'd file for divorce nearly 20 years before and were still viciously fighting over who got what.

Then I'm guessing... it was worth the risk.

I was a bit perplexed by the arrangement, and I'm not an attorney. I was just reading on divorce.net that California is considered a community property state but community property appears to apply to assets accrued when two people are married and living together. It appears that once they separated, any savings, investments, etc. the wife accrued on her own would belong to her and that she also wouldn't be responsible for any debts he incurred in his own name, after the separation.

She may have tried to take the path of least resistance with him by not getting a divorce. I don't know. I don't think she knew or suspected he was the GSK, but he was probably very difficult to live with, at a minimum.

Maybe they're Catholic.

Divorces are expensive. Maybe they just didn’t feel it was necessary, unless one decided to get remarried at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or something prompted her to never want to set eyes on him again. All just speculating.
Let's not step over TOS line of discussing her.

First, nothing was formally filed in 1991. We still printed all divorce actions in the newspaper back then--unless one of them filed in another county, but it seems like they were both in Sacramento.

Second--community property. As controlling as JJD was, would he have given up half his stuff? Or sold the house in Citrus Heights to pay her half the value? Or even wanted to go through the deep dive into his finances and how he got everything he had?

Separated was probably better for him, and from what I've read in the posts, she probably just didn't want to open that particular can of worms.

The worst file I ever saw at work involved people who'd file for divorce nearly 20 years before and were still viciously fighting over who got what.

I'm sure it would have been a real nightmare to try to divorce him and get him to agree to a settlement. She likely took the course of least resistance. I did find that community property in California applies to assets accrued when a couple is married AND living together. She separated from him and she may have just walked away from any assets they accrued while living together.

What is the name of your podcast? I listen thru Downcast. And your link above doesn’t display the name.

MOO
"Crime and Scandal" is the name.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads