Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Lyle” is also the person and the case that brought me to Websleuths. Am absolutely amazed that the person who did so much work “talked to his father.” Really wondered if I would hear such words. Peace to “Lyle’s” family.

WOW, this DNA technology is a beacon of hope like none before it!

Excellent news, well done everyone involved!

Hope Taltos finds his/her brother.

I’ve been thinking a lot about Taltos. Hoping they find his/her brother, too. ❤️

This is such a sad case & has always broken my heart... still can't believe he's been identified. I can't imagine being someone that loved him & cared for him to come across the post-mortem pictures floating all over the internet... it would be devastating & soul-crushing. I'm glad that they finally have closure and know what happened to him. I am saddened that he had to exit life the way he did. Being someone who struggles with depression, I can relate to why Lyle could feel the way he did to choose to end his life. Ultimately, it does not matter whether his name is publicly known. He is home now, & if people truly care about him & his family, they will let this be & choose not to intervene in any inappropriate manner. May he rest in peace.

I have warned Lyle's family, that the pictures are on the internet, just incase they look into the efforts that were put into identifying him. While I was the one that took the photos, it made me sick to my stomach to learn that the photos had to be released and they were made public. This was a terrible violation of this man's privacy, as well as a disgusting blow to his family if they have to see them displayed.

I have warned Lyle's family, that the pictures are on the internet, just incase they look into the efforts that were put into identifying him. While I was the one that took the photos, it made me sick to my stomach to learn that the photos had to be released and they were made public. This was a terrible violation of this man's privacy, as well as a disgusting blow to his family if they have to see them displayed.

Mr. Youmans,

Thanks for all your efforts to bring closure to this case! Yes, it must have been horrifying to learn that these pictures had become so casually available... just a click away for anyone remotely interested. I cannot stop looking at them and not sobbing. It is so incredibly sad.

Thank you for sharing your feelings. I suspect you are not alone. I appreciate that you've been able to let his family know. I remember feeling a bit protective - taken aback - when I saw them. Briefly because I just couldn't...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I still can't quite come to terms with this. My heart breaks for his family - I can't imagine how awful it must feel to find out that your estranged loved one passed away so many years ago.

Now that Lyle's been identified, we need to do everything we can to get the photos of him removed from wherever they may be. (Here's a real humdinger - if you google "Lyle Stevik" the first article that pops up reporting his identification uses an autopsy photograph instead of a sketch or composite - why would you do that?) This may include contacting various blogs and news outlets who have published the images. There's also the Imgur album, which contains the bulk of the photos. It will be difficult or maybe even impossible to remove them all but it's important that we try, for both Lyle's memory and his family.

I've said this before but you are all outstanding people and proof of how much people care and look out for others, even if they are a stranger. If only there was a way for Lyle to know just how many care for him. That said, there is also a great deal of curiosity and I'm sure there are people trying to find out Lyle's name with the information we have - I sincerely hope that these people are able to keep that information to themselves should they find it. Our own personal need for closure means absolutely nothing when there is a family grieving and a man who deserves privacy and dignity after all that's happened in the last sixteen and a half years.

May you rest in peace, Lyle.

Thank you for everything you've done for Lyle, Mr. Youmans. The news hit me for a thousandth time when I read that you've spoken with his father. I suppose one way to look at it is that the photos caught people's attention and generated interest in the case that lasted for almost seventeen years and would have gone beyond. Maybe DNA Doe Project would not have ever known of Lyle if the photos had not drawn so many people to the case. I do wish there was a button we could press to obliterate them all now, though...

I just had a thought, and I want to run it by the group. I know how much time and effort so many of you put into this case. You feel a personal connection to him, and more than a few of you have remarked that he is like a brother. Would any of you want to write a letter to Lyle's family? I haven't run this by the family yet, but I know so many of you have such big hearts, that you might want to express your feelings to the family. I am thinking that, if the family is ok with it, any letters could be sent to my office, and I would be willing to forward them to the family.

I just had a thought, and I want to run it by the group. I know how much time and effort so many of you put into this case. You feel a personal connection to him, and more than a few of you have remarked that he is like a brother. Would any of you want to write a letter to Lyle's family? I haven't run this by the family yet, but I know so many of you have such big hearts, that you might want to express your feelings to the family. I am thinking that, if the family is ok with it, any letters could be sent to my office, and I would be willing to forward them to the family.

I think that's a great idea. Since this case has been followed by people all around the world, would you accept letters in email form?

I was thinking that we could set up a small website in honour of Lyle and maybe name it something along the lines of "Letters to Lyle" and people can submit letters, tributes and share the effect that the case has had on them.

email should work as well as letters. I'll run this by Lyle's family first.

I think that's a wonderful idea.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I know it can be hard to say "goodbye" when you've invested so much time, energy, and heart in to a thread, a case, a human being. There is a period of grieving that goes on, as funny as that may sound to people who aren't sleuthers. But it's grief, and that's why we tend to hang around on threads for a bit, supporting each other and saying goodbye until we have the pleasure of meeting on another thread.

If you are looking for a way to honor "Lyle", may I suggest volunteering:
https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/participate/

Take care everyone, and take comfort that all our positive energy has no doubt reached Lyle in some way; I know it!

That is a wonderful idea!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know it can be hard to say "goodbye" when you've invested so much time, energy, and heart in to a thread, a case, a human being. There is a period of grieving that goes on, as funny as that may sound to people who aren't sleuthers. But it's grief, and that's why we tend to hang around on threads for a bit, supporting each other and saying goodbye until we have the pleasure of meeting on another thread.

If you are looking for a way to honor "Lyle", may I suggest volunteering:
https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/participate/

Take care everyone, and take comfort that all our positive energy has no doubt reached Lyle in some way; I know it!

Absolutely wonderful post ... :grouphug:

This is a great idea! I think it would be comforting for them to know just how much people cared about him.

I think that's a great idea. Since this case has been followed by people all around the world, would you accept letters in email form?

I was thinking that we could set up a small website in honour of Lyle and maybe name it something along the lines of "Letters to Lyle" and people can submit letters, tributes and share the effect that the case has had on them.

I would worry about a website... people would be able to post whatever they wanted and some people have no control and post thoughtlessly. It is a very kind thought.. I just wish everyone could be so kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would worry about a website... people would be able to post whatever they wanted and some people have no control and post thoughtlessly. It is a very kind thought.. I just wish everyone could be so kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it could be a moderated website/memorial, and all submitted content would have to be approved by moderators or the owner of the website but yes, I think you're right. Maybe not such a good idea after all. I should have thought of this before but it should be up to his family to decide when it comes to these sorts of things, anyway.

I thought it could be a moderated website/memorial, and all submitted content would have to be approved by moderators or the owner of the website but yes, I think you're right. Maybe not such a good idea after all. I should have thought of this before but it should be up to his family to decide when it comes to these sorts of things, anyway.

Buttons, I thought about opening a weebly website. Everyone interested to share their message would have to send what they want to share to the site moderator. It would be a very lovely thing to do & bring us all together. Message me if this sounds like a good plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member