Welcome To Websleuths

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little more housekeeping is needed on the “state” prefixes on thread titles. Looking at a list of threads that contains brand new threads, the state does not show up in the brand new threads until it’s opened. Then it is a practically invisible orange on orange box.
Example:
FL - Sarah Nicholson , 34, Murdered Oct 29,2017

Below is a photo of that thread in a list (on the right) without the state showing. There are two with no states on that list. They were both threads that were started today.

I make use of the state prefix to decide what threads to check out (Oregon and California in particular). So I would like to see the state clearly in the title when it’s listed with other threads.

Orange on orange is definitely not working for me (and others). Is there a way to make the letters black, please.

Don’t get me wrong, the new website is beautiful. These are just usability suggestions to make it even more so.

Yes this is an issue I'm having too. I can't sort by prefix anymore. I found the option to do it like I used to-- it is in very faint orange text at the bottom, but when I select the prefix it says "none found".

For example, I wanted to view all the Michigan threads in the 2000's missing but not forgotten forum to see if there were any from 2008 that could possibly match up with this cold case search going on in Detroit: Police dig at Detroit house in cold case

In the old forum I could bring up all the MI threads and scroll through the titles. It looks like I should be able to do that here too but the prefixes are gone. I know they are working on a fix, I just hope one is found.

Yes this is an issue I'm having too. I can't sort by prefix anymore. I found the option to do it like I used to-- it is in very faint orange text at the bottom, but when I select the prefix it says "none found".

For example, I wanted to view all the Michigan threads in the 2000's missing but not forgotten forum to see if there were any from 2008 that could possibly match up with this cold case search going on in Detroit: Police dig at Detroit house in cold case

In the old forum I could bring up all the MI threads and scroll through the titles. It looks like I should be able to do that here too but the prefixes are gone. I know they are working on a fix, I just hope one is found.

Ooohhhhhh, I see what you mean now, it might say it in the title, but no prefix to narrow it down. I'm clear. Yeah, that's something.

In times like this, I wish I had photographic memory.

I do hope there is an alphabetized glossary with step by step instructions (and one for "dummies" for me). JMO. And mucho thanks. :)

Prefixes are being fixed as we speak. I also agree with all of the comments regarding orange on orange. That WILL be changed but it will not be for probably a few days. Sorry, A change as big as this creates lots of issues and they must be prioritized but I promise that color issue is near the top.

Ooohhhhhh, I see what you mean now, it might say it in the title, but no prefix to narrow it down. I'm clear. Yeah, that's something.

Yes, it used to show double prefixes for example: "MI MI - Missing Person Name, Age, Place, Date" The second prefix is the one made by the thread maker so we would always have that info in the title. The first prefix was selected from a drop down menu so we could sort threads by prefix. When someone was found the mods changed the first prefix to "found safe" or "found deceased", etc and moved the thread to the found forum. The second prefix stayed as part of the title. It appears to me all the drop down selected prefixes have gone away. JMO.

Prefixes are being fixed as we speak. I also agree with all of the comments regarding orange on orange. That WILL be changed but it will not be for probably a few days. Sorry, A change as big as this creates lots of issues and they must be prioritized but I promise that color issue is near the top.

We understand it will take some time to get it fixed. Thank you for all your hard work!

Looks like whoever started the thread did it that way. Usually the state is in blue--see this link

Located Persons Discussion

Yes, after doing a little more looking, I think the state has to be typed in as part of the title for it to show up. On the photo I posted as an example, two threads started by cybervampira today do show the state, but the other doesn’t. Here is the one that does not show the state when listed (the earliest one posted):

MD - Heydan Noel, 5, & Brendan O'neal Martin, 32, Harford County, 4 May 2018

So, in order for the state to show up on a list, we need to make sure to physically type in the state and not just go with the orange box. Not picking on you cybervampira.
:)

Attachments

• 39B58AAF-6701-45EA-BA92-5810B27EE380.png
    39B58AAF-6701-45EA-BA92-5810B27EE380.png
    357 KB · Views: 4
I apologize if these questions have been answered -- I can't find a way to search just this thread. :(:confused: So I guess that's my first question: how do I do that?

Question 2: Is there a way to unwatch threads without having to literally click on each thread and then click "unwatch"??? This could take me forever.

I love it! Much easier for me to read!! :D

Yes it is easier to read for me too. Also I am learning some clever ways others use it that I did not know about even before the upgrade. Overall I think our new house is lovely. Just a touch-up or two+ that I know are being worked on for us and we can fully enjoy our shiny new site!
Thanks! ;):)

I never used Websleuths on my computer prior. It just was too dated, cluttered, and uncomfortable. I only used my phone. However, I am currently on the web site via computer and I have to say it is significantly better- to the point where I will actually be browsing in the future not only on my phone. This is so much cleaner.

Unfortunately there are so many functions and/or options I did not take the time to learn on our previous software. Therefore I am on a huge learning curve. I'm trying to not get discouraged and make myself more software informed. Meanwhile the threads I was on I'll be far behind but I usually am lol.

Watched forums "you are not watching any". Huh? Right now I'm watching this one lol. So how do I add?

I never subscribed to the "subscriptions" and now paying the ultimate price. I bookmarked my threads on my tablet which is new to me since last Dec. Well I am now at beginning of thread of the ones I am following or planned to follow. Subsequently I have to go through pages to locate last read which though is entirely my fault.

Which leads me to this question. How will I mark my spot so to speak not to lose my place in the future. I'm presently still bookmarking on my tablet for fear of losing my present place.

These are just a few questions. I really like this new software. Thank you everyone.

I'd like to be able to re-hide all the sections on the homepage that I previously had hidden. :eek:
(...these smileys are excellent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member