TX - Police respond to reports of shooter at Santa Fe High School, 18 May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetical question, taking into consideration Columbine:

If the media did not broadcast the above named school shooting, would the chances of future similar school shootings on a regular basis be decreased?

IOW would doing so cut down on the number of copycats?

I am using the "out of sight out of mind" concept here.

If the media did not broadcast the above named school shooting, would the chances of future similar school shootings on a regular basis be decreased?

It s a real problem because LE needs info and how do they get it unless the public knows.

And then we have the people who believe these kids are crisis actors.

What if we made schools use positive behavior interventions instead of punishment? Start at preschool on teaching kids problem solving and ways to deal with emotions.

If any child has issues, make the whole family go in for counseling.

Many times parents blame the child when it is their inappropriate behavior which has the child reacting.

And teach parenting in schools. How to deal with screaming children. What to do when your child does not do what you want.

And work on toxic masculinity.

And teach girls that they are not subservient

He was a minor in possession of a weapon. That is illegal.
He had a sawed off shotgun. That is illegal.
He shot people without justification. That is illegal.
He brought guns to a school. That is illegal.

Just what laws would have prevented this?

A stolen car, by definition, is being used by someone without the insured's permission. No insurer will pay for the damages.

There is no insurance for intentional acts. Shooting someone is an intentional act. So, that discussion is a nothing burger.

It is a ridiculous idea that we would hold a gun owner responsible for the damages caused by someone who stole the owner's guns. Hold the shooter responsible, that is where the responsibility lies. Responsible gun owners secure their guns because they do not want any accidental shootings and do not want some criminal to steal them and hurt others. But, even an irresponsible gun owner who leaves his guns in plain sight in his home, is NOT responsible for the thief's acts.

If the media stop giving the shooter's coverage non-stop and infamy it would cut back on the fame-seeking Columbine copycats.
Pat Brown, criminal profiler, believes it could be effective.

^^^^^ But Rose, there has to be some underlying stuff going on in the brain of a young
man. Was he always devoid of normal emotions? Was he always so brazen about hurting others? Was he so shut down in his home by a controlling father? Was he playing around
with drugs? Had he ever been prescribed psychotropic drugs?
I believe there is a gradual buildup of some problems that the parents deny or totally
missed. I sure would like to hear more about him.

All excellent Qs, enelram.

Lack of parenting? Lack of love? Lack of commitment? Lack of expectations and aspirations? Broken culture?

Toxic parents? Latch key kids? How many parents say but he was such a good kid? Why some young men and not others?

On all the threads here, each shooting, each tragedy, the defunct gun control debate, the statistics that are America's alone; if we go back through these discussions, there are but a few commonalities.

But there is so much we just do not know.

Privacy laws prevent us from pieces of the equation especially psychological and drug components.

Illicit drug use, equally protected?

Admittedly, I went to an excellent public school system many decades ago, and bullying was very rare. Oh sure there were extroverts and introverts, cliques, and, groups and fights (mostly attitude) but not a pervasive hatred, jealousy, or a ganging up on one kid.

How is a teacher in an overcrowded school, with a succession of classrooms of thirty or so kids going to know everything on any given day?

Is it really our teachers' responsibility to parent children? Mentorship is like parenthood but are all teachers capable of that? --Some of my very best teachers were just that, charismatic, tough, with high expectations.

Sometimes I wonder how curriculums compare? Especially high school. Then and now?

I'd like to hear from kids, find a way to let them feel really free to communicate about the climate of their schools, and culture. And not just the schools that are struck by tragedy. Do kids feel like they have an adult they can talk to?

So often kids, naturally with no experience in life, yet, cannot see a red flag in the same way as an adult, have a different way of coping. That's obvious with the TX shooter in that no one connected the trench coat - only that it was strange in 90 degrees. Who's thinking of Columbine? Why would they?

This isn't the first generation where kids are talking more sense. It has happened before.

Out of Texas, kids are talking about introducing a bill to hold parents accountable. ...not only for secured guns but also mental health.

And, IMO, this is where the convo really needs to go. Case in point, imagine if Adam Lanza's mother had lived? Who was more mentally ill in that case? Mother or son?

Imagine if someone in Parkland Florida, LE, the FBI had listened and connected the dots to family, to school students?

It's not only parents, the psychiatrists, LE, FBI, the schools, the friends, the altruistic caretakers, but it is a collective surrounding of the culture where this happens, where this is acceptable, or not.

You can ban the assault portion of the weapons, and it would definitely make a difference, IMO, but, you can't ban all the other weapons that are used in the climate of carnage...

This country, America, has been a gun culture for a couple of centuries, by survival historically. It's a rich history that I'm proud of.

There's plenty of violence in this world, guns or no guns, so very few countries are immune.

So, where are we? Why are we? Here.

And, why in America, is something as tragic and unnecessary as an ambush, a whole faux war in Vietnam being played out in our schools?

Our schools are a reflection. The onus is upon us from every angle to help the innocent.

I grew up in the riots of the 60's. And we protested. We witnessed the burning cities... And we kids were sheltered. Getting shot was the very last thing I ever had to worry about.

How do we shelter our kids?

I do not understand why we cannot have guns treated like they are in other countries.

Our rich history is a history of violence towards Natives and black Americans. Killing the body and the soul.

Time for us to actually become land of the free. Is it freedom to be wondering if your kid is going to make it home alive? Is it freedom wondering if you make a mistake driving someone is going to blow you away? Is it freedom to wonder if you go to church, a mall, a move, a restaurant , a concert or simply to walk down the street that you may be blown away?

I have no problem purchasing a gun. No problem on my 'go for it' background check. No problem getting trained on gun safety. No problem on keeping my gun secure.

No problem on supporting every gun owner in this country to have a gun.

Are you a responsible gun owner? Do you not only take this as your right, but also as your responsibility?

Because, you see, no matter which side of the divide you are on, and they are both, it all comes down to responsibility.

Responsibility.

Oh good lord, for every responsibility comes responsibility!

Every family knows this.

This TX horror kid betrayed everything he knew. Maybe it was horrible, maybe we'll hear a diagnosis, maybe he just wanted it to play out the way it did...

The latter, he wanted it to play out the way it did, is my guess.

image.jpg
image ^^^ Round table Sante Fe students & TX Gov Abbott...
IMO, --This child's face. The utter exhaustion. The helplessness.

Santa Fe school shooter's parents hit with lawsuit claiming gunman's father was 'negligent and failed to properly secure weapons' used in massacre that killed ten

---Texas law requires gun owners to 'take steps that a reasonable person would take to prevent the access to a readily dischargeable firearm by a child, including but not limited to placing a firearm in a locked container or temporarily rendering the firearm inoperable by a trigger lock or other means.'

Governor Abbott, a staunch supporter of gun rights, said this week he's open to strengthening laws on gun storage and reporting lost or stolen weapons.

Read more: Texas school shooting victim family sues attacker's... | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Fifty years ago, we sent our babies, our children, friends, loved ones into an uncertain and controversial war in Vietnam.

Today, we send our babies into an uncertain and controversial war in our schools.

If you look at the pictures from 1968 you will find the faces of our kids, so young, just 18 years old, seemingly just sent off to slaughter. And, in those images the feeling of helplessness, of profound loss, and of hopelessness.

Don't know how many more casualties it will take for a wake up call, to realize the war is right here. To realize that our children are in the middle of something they cannot fully understand.

But the adults know. Then like now, no matter what it is, every adult knows.

Our children are being sent off into a war zone called school. Like the draft, some have no choice. They go with every sense of optimism, patriotism, and hope for the future.

And like the ambush of war, some die, some learn the harrowing experience of the battlefield and are never the same. And it is this exponential loss, this profound fear, this senselessness that parallels the loss of so many from my generation a half a century ago. A loss that took so long to recognize and honor.

Oh, it's bigger than the constitution. Humanity is always bigger. Then like now, are we destined to pawn our children for what we perceive as right, fair, or political?

What's different? The war ended in the early 70's. It came from the top. But now, there's no end in sight.

So far there are 2 lawsuits and more expected from parents of killed students in Parkland Fl. Being sued are the Snead parents who took Cruz and his guns into their home,
two mental health facilities who treated Cruz, Broward Co. Sheriff and the school board.

David Hogg and a group of student protesters successfully staged a "die-in" in a Publix
Supermarket in Coral Springs, Fl. in their attempt to bring publicity to the millions of
$$$ that the huge supermarket chain donates to NRA support groups and politicians.
They were especially targeting the Republican govenor candidate, a long time NRA supporter.

Times are a changing and these young people are our hope for the future.

Damn, I would like to see some colleges, and tech schools step up and allow kids who cannot handle the fear and anxiety of high school to intervene. To take on our kids... To shepherd our brightest and at risk vulnerable kids?

I can only speak to my generation, but the Ivy League to community colleges were centered on a broad education. Tech schools were there, too...

I had university access in high school; library, theatre, sports, music, the math tower, and the wanderings of one of the most beautiful campuses on earth. How I wish this experience for every student.

Apprenticeships for the engineering arts were common. You learned welding, sculpting, glass blowing, carpentry from a master. No credits, just experience. No degree. --Women became carpenters in the 70's.

I have an Ivy League friend with a chemical engineering degree who started a refrigeration business. He always said, BS, or Pfft on the degree, he could have done it so easily without one. I wonder how many kids know this?

I would love to see businesses return to the times that were the most prolific. They took chances. And that's what every child needs is a chance.

That star child, may not have the resume but he or she shines above all the rest. That's what I look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname