CA - Chloe Davis, 11, murdered her family, 1940

prd2bokie

Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure where this one should go so feel free to move it. I had read at one time about a girl named Chloe Davis who was a suspect in the murder of her whole family except her dad. The latest info I was able to get was from 2007 or 2008. This happened maybe 50 yrs or more ago. Anybody know anything about it?

prd2bokie, I believe this might be what you're looking for:

http://criminalconduct.blogspot.com/2007/03/mother-may-i-murder-you-case-of-chloe.html

An utterly chilling case.

Daphne's Find A Grave memorial: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=73313975

and Lolita's: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=73313858
and Deborah's: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=73314132
Some pay-to-see articles:
- A Times crime feature.
- NYTimes 1940 article
- The Sac Bee has some too but my connection is lagging. You'll probably find a few there.
- A book mentioning the case.

I wonder what happened to Chloe.

Thank Ausgirl. That is all I've been able to find about her though. It says there will be a part 4 in a couple of weeks but that was a few yrs ago. I Google this case every time I think about it but there's been nothing more on it. It was such an awful story!

Thank you so much for the links. Those are great! I've never found this much information before.

Glad to be of help!

I found a little information on Chloe's later life, too:

- Genealogy link to family
- Chloe's adult life, marriage records & kids

I'm really curious as to what kind of adult she grew up to be. I'd never heard of this case before, thanks for introducing me to it.

Interesting she was divorced twice and her third husband and she was only married a year before her death. That was unusual for those days,
I bet she was horrible to be married to. I'm sure she was as pschopathic as ever.

I'd also like to know what became of the case. I guess she was found not guilty?

According to the geology link her mother will forever go down into history as having killed her childen and commiting suicide.

Just found this link, which is an excerpt from the book:
The Mind of a Murderer: Privileged Access to the Demons That Drive Extreme ...By Katherine Ramand, Michael (FRW) Ston

http://books.google.com/books?id=cPyxw5lSyhcC&pg=PR65&lpg=PR65&dq=chloe+davis+murder&source=bl&ots=lgmFKDRUrh&sig=_3kFgOboXipiGWQgbkL2YJ3ORVY&hl=en&ei=eTjRTq_7KIWaiQLjw_zaCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=chloe%20davis%20murder&f=false

According to the book, even though the police psycholgist thinks Chole is guilty and capable of coming up with an elaborate story. The final ruling seems to say the mother is guilty due to her past behavior and the fact that the father later remembered her speaking of demons.
I'm on the fence with this one. The girls demeanor shouts out guilty. On the other hand the story of the mother's past actions may mean she is somewhat guilty as well. I think it was a combination of the two, but why would even an obedient child follow all of those directions and not run for help, she could have saved lives if she had. It sounds as if the mother my have been suffering from the same illness as Andrea Yates (who drowned her 5 children) But then Chole's story is just to crazy. Oh I'm just confusing myself more. I think there was craziness to spare in that family.

Anyway if you read through the chapter just a bit you'll get to the interesting stuff. Worth the read.

I fully believe Chloe was 'sane' and acted alone in these murders.

When a child is 'bright' or even literally of 'genius' IQ and applies themselves to science or math, or something beneficial, their intelligence is lauded. In Chloe's case, she applied it to murdering her family, getting what she wanted and getting away with it. Genius + psychopathy never ends well.

One of her kids went on to develop scientific patents for making light-emitting devices from organic cells, as well as contributions to cancer research, which suggests to me a life devoted to the betterment of humanity through science. Perhaps he shared his mother's intelligence, but not her psychopathy.

I can't imagine what sort of mother she was. Perhaps she was a good one, who knows? Another of her other sons changed his name by deed poll, however, for which there could be a dozen reasons, including hating his mother. I note two of her marriages did last a decade or more, with a gap of several years between; lots of people marry more than twice in their lifetimes. One entry I found was curious, though -- there's a description of her and one husband as 'father' and 'mother' and no apparent record at all of the child. More digging to do..

It'd be really interesting to find out what she was like as an adult. Did she 'grow out' of her capacity for murdering people in the way of her desires, or did she just get more clever at it? Perhaps she never again had the need, and applied it to other forms of destruction.

What an interesting read, momtolil. And wow - there's the guy who invented the sex offender registry, and what a sad tale he ended up with. The whole case is fascinating!

I fully believe Chloe was 'sane' and acted alone in these murders.

When a child is 'bright' or even literally of 'genius' IQ and applies themselves to science or math, or something beneficial, their intelligence is lauded. In Chloe's case, she applied it to murdering her family, getting what she wanted and getting away with it. Genius + psychopathy never ends well.

One of her kids went on to develop scientific patents for making light-emitting devices from organic cells, as well as contributions to cancer research, which suggests to me a life devoted to the betterment of humanity through science. Perhaps he shared his mother's intelligence, but not her psychopathy.

I can't imagine what sort of mother she was. Perhaps she was a good one, who knows? Another of her other sons changed his name by deed poll, however, for which there could be a dozen reasons, including hating his mother. I note two of her marriages did last a decade or more, with a gap of several years between; lots of people marry more than twice in their lifetimes. One entry I found was curious, though -- there's a description of her and one husband as 'father' and 'mother' and no apparent record at all of the child. More digging to do..

It'd be really interesting to find out what she was like as an adult. Did she 'grow out' of her capacity for murdering people in the way of her desires, or did she just get more clever at it? Perhaps she never again had the need, and applied it to other forms of destruction.

What an interesting read, momtolil. And wow - there's the guy who invented the sex offender registry, and what a sad tale he ended up with. The whole case is fascinating!

I do believe she was a smart girl and knew how to manipulate to her advantage, which does take intelligence.

Interesting about her children, I'm sure they inherited many of their mothers and grandmothers traits... Like they say "there is a fine line between genius and madness"

I get the vibe that she was very calm when relaying the info. To me that says Chloe was a bit off! Thank you momtolil and Ausgirl for all the extra information. It's been a great read.

Has any research been completed on Patsy, the cousin that Mrs. Davis claimed she had killed with her mind? Could Mrs. Davis have somehow contributed to Patsy's death?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back