Found Deceased CANADA - Ben Kilmer, 41, Cowichan, 16 May 2018

Unfortunately I am starting to lean toward the suicide scenario. Ben and his family seem lovely. Perhaps he bit off more than he could chew and the weight of letting his family down was simply too much.

I guess I'm hoping he ran off to escape his life, because that is the most likely scenario that would result in him being alive. But, I'm just not feeling it.

Sigh.
All I can think about is his family and what they are going through. They don't deserve this pain.

Sigh.

ETA: On further thought...If Ben was committing suicide, why hasn't he been found? Is that why the family has been focused on Skullz Falls area?...because he liked that area? Did he walk and wander while trying to decide what to do? Where is Ben?? :(
Why would anybody leave their vehicle running if they were going off to commit suicide unless they wanted to be found? My Dad committed suicide and he made sure he wasn't found for a few days.

Is there anyone in this group that knows the area where Ben is from?

I went to look at the pics in the find group of the maps of searched area and it was confusing af to me.

So I’m wondering does anyone know if the shawnigan lake area has been searched? Also is there any area in the shawnigan area that has a very steep slope that’s soooo muddy and slippery most of the time. Like it would be difficult to climb back up it.
Also, is there a mil around this and has that area been searched? Thanks to anyone that can help me with that :).

I’m also curious to know who’s blood is in the vehicle if it’s not bens

Ok as for my theories so far (obviously far from fact!)

1. Ben had terrible headache, nausea, confusion and pulled over to throw up and maybe wandered off in confusion. If for example he had an aneurism or similar. I’d like to know his physical state leading up to that day.

2. Ben was stressed out about money and may have been making money in the side (eg drugs) but found himself owing the wrong people. If this is the case he could be a lot further than they’re looking.

3. The suicide theory as we have all mentioned. Maybe he was just stressed and couldn’t take it. Or maybe he walked away from it all. Personally I don’t feel this one to be true.

4. There’s always the chance of an affair. Perhaps he decided to leave it all and spend his life with a new woman.

I have more lol. But I’ll leave this for now

As I have stated before the lack of information from LE and NORPAC Power suggest to me that foul play was involved in Ben's disappearance and maybe a POI is being looked at.

Its odd that the only "eye witness" of Ben last sighting was a surveillance video no co-worker or customer personnel have made any public statements so far about Ben's last day of work.

As I have stated before the lack of information from LE and NORPAC Power suggest to me that foul play was involved in Ben's disappearance and maybe a POI is being looked at.

Its odd that the only "eye witness" of Ben last sighting was a surveillance video no co-worker or customer personnel have made any public statements so far about Ben's last day of work.

BBM: you know that’s Ben’s own company, right? And that it’s a “one man band”?

BBM: you know that’s Ben’s own company, right? And that it’s a “one man band”?

I did a google search of NORPAC Power and I got a result of a company based in Oregon that installed and serviced power generators so I thought Ben was a sub-contractor for the larger co. My Bad. However I would think Ben would have had some interactions with someone on the day he disappeared besides his family such as customers or suppliers to better understand his frame of mind that day.

I did a google search of NORPAC Power and I got a result of a company based in Oregon that installed and serviced power generators so I thought Ben was a sub-contractor for the larger co. My Bad. However I would think Ben would have had some interactions with someone on the day he disappeared besides his family such as customer or suppliers to understand his frame of mind that day.

BBM : I’m sure he did. Unfortunately, no one is talking :(.

No worries regarding the erroneous company search, just didn’t want you & the rest of us going off on a wild goose chase. It’s quite common, IME for small/sole operator companies to choose a similar name to a larger, well-known one.

That last sighting was at Stone Pacific Contracting, who presumably hired Ben (Norpac) to do a job. He was returning some keys. No doubt people saw him, but RCMP are keeping this case pretty clamped down. So your point, that it suggests foul play is certainly viable, but so could other scenarios. The person(s) in the little office at Stone Pacific might not know him very well. He kept the van running and door open as he went in to drop off the keys, so he wasn't heading in to "chat".

Other people may have come forward in the meantime to account for his whereabouts between the video and when his van was first seen on the side of the road. If so, LE may be keeping quiet. If not, there may be simply nothing else to say.

I'll stop babbling now. :oops:

Is there anyone in this group that knows the area where Ben is from?

I went to look at the pics in the find group of the maps of searched area and it was confusing af to me.

So I’m wondering does anyone know if the shawnigan lake area has been searched? Also is there any area in the shawnigan area that has a very steep slope that’s soooo muddy and slippery most of the time. Like it would be difficult to climb back up it.
Also, is there a mil around this and has that area been searched? Thanks to anyone that can help me with that :).

I’m also curious to know who’s blood is in the vehicle if it’s not bens

Ok as for my theories so far (obviously far from fact!)

1. Ben had terrible headache, nausea, confusion and pulled over to throw up and maybe wandered off in confusion. If for example he had an aneurism or similar. I’d like to know his physical state leading up to that day.

2. Ben was stressed out about money and may have been making money in the side (eg drugs) but found himself owing the wrong people. If this is the case he could be a lot further than they’re looking.

3. The suicide theory as we have all mentioned. Maybe he was just stressed and couldn’t take it. Or maybe he walked away from it all. Personally I don’t feel this one to be true.

4. There’s always the chance of an affair. Perhaps he decided to leave it all and spend his life with a new woman.

I have more lol. But I’ll leave this for now

In this latest article, one of his close friends who has known him for a long time had this to say:

Kilmer didn’t have any enemies, no reason to leave everything behind and wouldn’t have “disappeared himself” either, Morrison said.

Three weeks after his friend was last seen, Morrison has come to his own conclusion.

“Seems like foul play to me,” he said. “He’s the type of person that if someone was struggling on the side of the road he would have pulled over to help.”

On Vancouver Island, three men go missing and a province wonders why | The Star

Volunteers search for Island man missing for a month
Volunteers gathered in the Cowichan Valley Saturday morning to conduct a large-scale grid search for Ben Kilmer, who went missing on May 16.
“I believe - in every fibre in my body - that he is at peace, but he is still alive,” Tonya Kilmer said.

“If anybody knows anything about Ben, if there is foul play involved, I just need you to hear that I forgive you,” she said. “Please have mercy on our family. Have mercy on our children.”

It is heartbreaking reading the words of LK. While there is always hope - until there is a resolution - it seems like she believes BK will not return alive. Does not seem likely due to the amount of time he has been missing. Oh how I wish he would be found. And soon.

It’s cases like this when I think about having some sort of locating device implanted on every person alive. Overboard?? Maybe. But if you have ever searched for a missing person it seems practical.

It is heartbreaking reading the words of LK. While there is always hope - until there is a resolution - it seems like she believes BK will not return alive. Does not seem likely due to the amount of time he has been missing. Oh how I wish he would be found. And soon.

It’s cases like this when I think about having some sort of locating device implanted on every person alive. Overboard?? Maybe. But if you have ever searched for a missing person it seems practical.

I agree that we should chip everyone; I think it would be a step in the right direction. We have chips in our pets, so why not our loved ones.

I wonder how many husbands would agree to be imbedded with a gps tracking device by their wives?

Most people consider it sufficient to carry a cell phone. He left his cellphone behind.

OT, but was Leanne the same woman who walked off barefoot while she and her husband were staying with family? I remember following one where the spouse/significant other was suspected for quite some time because they had argued prior to her walking off and no one believed him that she would leave without shoes. Thanks.

RSBM for focus

An admin post on Ben’s Find FB page:

“WHAT TO LOOK FOR:
1. Footprints leading off a trail into a conspicuous location (into thick forest),

2. Look near water sources (likely running, creeks, stream, rivers), will be very important as Ben would have needed water on many occasions,

3. **In crevices, caves, near where land may have given out.
We believe that Ben would absolutely and without a doubt, make it home if he could. We believe strongly that he has fallen and cannot physically get out. It would have had to have been a place where the ground gave out and he couldn’t have seen this happening on his approach.

[SBM]

**There are still lots of trails where again, we are looking for footprints off the trail and into the bush.

[SBM]” (BBM)

Find Ben Kilmer

While these are all excellent suggestions, I hope the searchers are also looking up, just in case (and my sincere apologies if I offend anyone reading; my only reason for mentioning this is to help find Ben) he decided to take his life by hanging.

I’m sure the trained SAR professionals and volunteers who are helping with the search are already aware, but I’m not so sure about the community volunteers.

Here is a case in which a missing woman’s body was eventually found hanging from a tree in a location that had been searched many times before:

“SAN ANTONIO — Autopsy results released Thursday for Leanne M. Bearden concluded that she hanged herself with clothesline not far from her in-laws' Garden Ridge home from which she'd vanished Jan. 17.

The finding by Central Texas Autopsy of Lockhart backs the suicide conclusion that Garden Ridge Police Chief Donna O'Conner announced Feb. 14. Bearden's body had been found the day before, hanging from a mountain cedar tree in the neighborhood, which had been searched several times in the weeks that followed her disappearance.

‘As a result of that final autopsy report, the case has been closed,’ O'Conner said Thursday after reviewing the document. She said the tree was in a dense bamboo thicket that prevented property owners who had been urged to inspect their acreage from seeing it.”

Autopsy finding of missing woman: suicide (BBM)

Unfortunately, it’s quite possible something similar happened here, especially with Ben being an electrician, he would probably have ready access to items such as electrical cords and cables.

Praying that Ben is found very soon.

OT, but was Leanne the same woman who walked off barefoot while she and her husband were staying with family? I remember following one where the spouse/significant other was suspected for quite some time because they had argued prior to her walking off and no one believed him that she would leave without shoes. Thanks.

I do not believe Leanne was barefoot nor she and her husband had an argument immediately prior to her going missing.

Her husband was suspected for quite some time, mainly because he was the last one to see her, and his parents were out of town all week (Leanne and her husband had been staying with his parents temporarily after returning from their around-the-world trip).

Here is the link to her WS thread:

Found Deceased - TX - Leanne Bearden, 33, Garden Ridge, 17 Jan 2014 #11

Does anyone remember the case I was recalling upthread? It’s going to bug me now! I believe they were in a camper or garage or something like that while visiting family out of town.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back