Identified! KY - Mason Co, Female UP17839, 33-58 Years, in Ohio river, multiple tattoos, May'18 - n/a

Romulus

Reaction score
NamUs UP 17839

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/17839

Unidentified Body/Remains (Unknown Sex & Race)

Found May 6, 2018 in Mason County, KY
Body Condition: Not recognizable - decomposing/putrefaction
Probable year of death: to

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: Years (Adult)

Approximate Weight: 125 estimate
Approximate Height: 66 estimate
Hair Color:
No hair present (only portion of scalp remains) due to decomp
Eye Color:
none visible; orbits absent due to decomp
Scars and marks: facial hair: none (skeletonized face); Multiple tattoos: 1-PARTIALLY DISCERNIBLE (possible BIBLE VERSE) ON RIGHT UPPER EXTREMITY ("[indiscernible] PERFECT LOVE CASTED OUT FEAR BECAUSE FEAR [indiscernible words] IS NOT MADE PERFECT IN LOVE") 2-RAINBOW COLORED SCORPION WITH "LOVE HURTS" ON LEFT ARM.

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing: nothing
Jewerly: nothing
Footwear: nothing
Accessories: nothing

Identifiers
Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
Dentals: Dental information / is not available
DNA: Sample available- not yet submitted

Case History:
Body found in Ohio River approximately 25-30 ft from KY riverbank by fishermen.

I cannot seem to find any news stories related to this. I tried the newspapers, city and county sheriffs Facebook pages, i tried general internet search. I keep finding stories about bodies in the Ohio river but not this one.

I cannot seem to find any news stories related to this. I tried the newspapers, city and county sheriffs Facebook pages, i tried general internet search. I keep finding stories about bodies in the Ohio river but not this one.

His NamUS profile is still active. And there are a bunch of UID's that were found in the Ohio River. At least a couple this year and plenty from years ago.

I wonder why Kentucky gets to claim so many that were floating down the river. I would think that the other states (i.e. OH, IN or IL) would share them since they were technically out in the middle of the river. Unless they'd actually washed ashore on the KY side, but that would probably be stated if that's what happened.

That aside, does anybody know much about locks/dams?
The only ones I've been up close to were in the Kentucky River. It's a substantially smaller river than the Ohio. But it didn't look like a body could float right through them aside from when there's some decent flooding going on.
Are the Ohio River's locks such that it would be easier to pass through them because the river is so much bigger? That could help determine where the body entered the river, unless there's been a lot of recent high water.

The tattoos make me think of a gay person, struggling with his/her homosexuality as a believer. The strove is about the confidence in (the love of) God being accepted on judgment day. The rainbow colors are (IMO) associated with LGBT pride flag.

Last edited:
Scorpion could also indicate a Scorpio horoscope sign, though it wouldn't have to.

I believe it is, just the colors made me wonder. If they would have said multi-colored, I wouldn't have associated it with the gay-community that quickly. But of course everything is possible.

I can find nothing that states Samantha had any tattoos. I don’t see any in her photos either. I did find a comment on reddit from an apprentice that worked under her Dad at his tattoo shop. I’m not sure this would make her any more likely to have a tattoo but it would be quick and easy access if she did get one.

After reading her thread here I went from believing she was in the woods to thinking she was probably killed at her house and transported in a vehicle somewhere.

Weight and height exact match. She is under the age range.

KY - KY - Samantha Jones Sperry, 25, Graves County, 29 March 2018

I can find nothing that states Samantha had any tattoos. I don’t see any in her photos either. I did find a comment on reddit from an apprentice that worked under her Dad at his tattoo shop. I’m not sure this would make her any more likely to have a tattoo but it would be quick and easy access if she did get one.

After reading her thread here I went from believing she was in the woods to thinking she was probably killed at her house and transported in a vehicle somewhere.

Weight and height exact match. She is under the age range.

KY - KY - Samantha Jones Sperry, 25, Graves County, 29 March 2018

Is Samantha biracial? (Caucasian/African-American) Couldn't find that. UID is.

The extended autopsy report is now available as a PDF under images--the remains were sent to the University of Tennessee for further autopsy/analysis. The information and process involved are fascinating.
There were also 10 containers of severed foot and hand digits and saw marks were present on the corresponding hands and feet.

n. The removed elements were cleaned in warm water solutions containing dishwashing soap and meat tenderizer for eight days.

The dental inventory reveals several fillings. The maxillary dentition is charted below. The missing third molars were confirmed as antemortem loss as they are not present on the radiographs provided. The fillings are tooth-colored composites. #13 has both occlusal and distal interproximal fillings. DENTAL INVENTORY Code: N = Natural tooth, no filling AM = Antemortem loss (healed socket) F = Filling, inlay, onlay, or veneer PM= Postmortem loss C = Crown or cap A= Absent, alveolar bone not present B = Part of bridge I = Impacted V = Active Caries (lack of filling) O = Other feature (described below) R = Root canal 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 AM N N F F N N N N N N D F F N AM 32 31 30 29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 Lower Right Upper Right U

Using Walker (2008), the cranium exhibits a mix of male and female characteristics, including a moderately expressed nuchal crest, smooth glabella, moderate mastoid processes and relatively thin supraorbital margins. These traits can be analyzed using Walker’s (2008) logistic regression equations, for which two regression formulae are possible, though they give conflicting information concerning sex (81% male using the nuchal crest and mastoid process and 82% female for the formula using glabella and mastoid process). The cranial measurements were similarly ambiguous with regards to sex, though the pubic bones were analyzed for the Phenice characteristics (Phenice 1969) and all were scored as female. The pubes exhibit very well developed ventral arcs, a subpubic concavity and a thin ischiopubic ramus with a median crest. The pubic bone was also analyzed using the Klales et al. (2012) logistic regression. The results indicate a posterior probability of female of 99.99%. Sex is estimated as female.

I wonder if the above indicates that this person may have had heavier facial features than many women?

The medial epiphysis of the left clavicle was completely fused so the Hartnett (2010) method was applied to both pubic symphyses as it has the lowest error of the pubic symphysis aging methods. The left pubic symphysis exhibits a complete rim with remnants of the ridge and furrow system on the face. There is no dorsal lipping and does not have significant ventral ligamentous outgrowths. This symphysis is assigned Hartnett phase IV. The right pubic symphysis exhibits an older morphology whereby the rim is more irregular and the face is depressed and contains macroporosities (Hartnett phase VI). It is likely that the right symphysis is pathological so age is estimated based on the left. Table 1 shows the mean age, standard deviation and age ranges for the left pubic symphysis phase. Given that the error is lowest for the Hartnett method, the full range of this method is used to estimate age as 33-58 years.

The measurements for ethnic ancestry are quite lengthy, but the summation is:

The metric results indicate black ancestry. The quantitative results from macromorphoscopic traits indicate white ancestry, though several of these traits also suggest black ancestry. Thus, the results indicate that both black and white missing persons should be considered.

I interpret this as saying that this person is quite possibly mixed race?

The results are similar for both groups [black v. white], and 66.2 ± 3.7 inches is the final stature estimate.

I had wondered if they would be able to use skin or hair to further determine race, but the initial autopsy report is here and indicates significant decomposition, with no remaining scalp hair and several missing organs, external genitalia, etc. On the whole, it was really helpful as far as knowing how age, sex, race, are estimated for UIDs. I hope they're all analyzed this carefully.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back