Canada - Carla, 64, & Alan Rutherford, 63, Dundas Ontario, 9 July 2018- *ARREST*

dotr

Reaction score
Fire that killed Dundas, Ont., couple was 'deliberately set,' now a homicide, police say | CBC News
"The deaths of two Dundas retirees was a homicide, police say, and the pair were "innocent sleeping victims who would have experienced sheer terror."

Det. Sgt. Steve Bereziuk says the fire that killed Alan and Carla Rutherford was deliberately set in their bedroom as they slept. Now police are looking for suspects, and reaching out to anyone who knew the couple.

"This was an extremely intense fire which began in the bedroom," said Bereziuk at Hamilton Police Service headquarters Friday.

"These were innocent sleeping victims who would have experienced sheer terror. They suffered horrific injuries that led to their death."

alan-and-carla-rutherford.jpg

Carla and Alan Rutherford both died after a fire at their Dundas home Monday. (Hamilton Police Service)
Police and firefighters were called to the Rutherford home at 8 Greening Ct. around 3:45 a.m. on July 9. They found "heavy flames and smoke going through the roof," Hamilton fire chief Dave Cunliffe said this week.

Alan ultimately escaped after the fire was set, and knocked on a neighbour's door. He was found on the front lawn when firefighters arrived, Cunliffe said. Carla was still trapped in the home.

Firefighters rescued Carla, 64, and she died on the way to the hospital. Alan, 63, was transported to hospital in critical condition. He died later that afternoon."

Two people killed in Dundas fire are homicide victims: police
image.jpg

A Dundas home that was the site of a deadly fire on Monday is shown.
"Police initially classified the fire as suspicious, but on Friday Bereziuk said that evidence has now prompted investigators to rule both of the deaths as homicides.

He said that it appears as though the victims were targeted but he said it is far too early to provide any information about a potential motive in the case.

“They are tremendous people. Carla loved quilting, they were both avid members of the yacht club here in Hamilton with a passion for sailing and Alan loved model planes,” he said. “That is what adds to the tragedy of the event; they were really good people.”

Bereziuk said that the victims were both retired but previously worked for Hamilton Health Sciences, where they met."

"According to Bereziuk, the fire began in the bedroom."

The yacht club they belonged to may well have been high end...
Not only did somebody want them dead, but to suffer terribly too, imo,speculation.

I don't think Hamilton Yacht Club could be described as "high end". You could sail small boats in small regattas or simply crew for people that owned a modest boat. No need to be wealthy. (Of course there are like some wealthy people.) Not that many people with significant money want to sail around Hamilton Bay, where the steel mills have hampered a lovely lake atmosphere.
Just my guess (I lived in Hamilton as a young adult and my spouse is from Hamilton. I confirmed my take on the yacht club with him.)

While the Rutherford's lived in a fairly modest bungalow, the rampantly rising housing prices in nearby Toronto, have driven up prices in Hamilton as well.

Is there a family member that was hoping to capitalize on that asset? A business partner? A creditor?

While the Rutherford's lived in a fairly modest bungalow, the rampantly rising housing prices in nearby Toronto, have driven up prices in Hamilton as well.

Is there a family member that was hoping to capitalize on that asset? A business partner? A creditor?

Someone said that the motive was either financial or a revenge type of thing.
They don't seem, at first glance, to be the type of people who would be involved in anything sketchy/that warranted revenge. IMO

Boaters, retired, with lots of hobbies. Retired from a major medical health centre.

Double homicide victims suffered ‘sheer terror’
These were innocent victims who would have suffered sheer terror," Bereziuk said during a brief news conference Friday afternoon at Hamilton police's central station.

Bereziuk declined to speak about a motive or potential suspects.

"The route, naturally, is to look at people closest to the family," Bereziuk said, adding that the family has been co-operative so far."

"Carla had two sons and four grandchildren. Alan had two daughters and four grandchildren.

They were avid members of the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club."

"Hamilton police are asking anyone with information about the fire or anyone who knew the victims to contact Det. Ben Adams at 905-546-3836. Information can also be provided anonymously through Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Police are also asking anyone with surveillance video in the area to check and call police if they see anything out of the ordinary."

I wonder why police don't seem to be considering murder/accidental suicide as a theory? Could AR have started the fire with the intent of killing his wife and making it look like an accidental fire or fire caused by thugs, hoping he would get away in time himself?

"Bereziuk said evidence collected at the scene led to the police's belief the couple was killed deliberately. "We believe this was targeted."

I wonder why police don't seem to be considering murder/accidental suicide as a theory? Could AR have started the fire with the intent of killing his wife and making it look like an accidental fire or fire caused by thugs, hoping he would get away in time himself?

I’m kind of stuck on “he was found on the front lawn”, but I’m going to wait it out for now.

I’m kind of stuck on “he was found on the front lawn”, but I’m going to wait it out for now.
I read that he escaped and went to a neighbour's for help?

"Carla Rutherford, 65, was pronounced dead at the scene after firefighters pulled her from her home.

Her husband, Alan Rutherford, 64, was badly burned but managed to escape and knock on a neighbour's door for help. He was taken to hospital in critical condition and died hours later Monday afternoon."

2:29 Reporter: Are there any suspects at this point?

2:31 Det/Sgt Steve Bereziuk: The natural route for this investigation is to initially look at the people closest to the victims. That's where we have begun. You have to keep in mind this investigation is still very early and we're working towards speaking to close members of the family and at this point I can say that the family has been cooperative with us.

3:30 Reporter: Are any of your suspects family members?

3:32 Det/Sgt Steve Bereziuk: Uh we've been working with the family and uh, they have been cooperative.

4:01 Reporter: Should neighbours and people in the area be worried?

4:04 Det/Sgt Steve Bereziuk: No.

4:04 Reporter: Do you believe this was an isolated incident?

4:07 Det/Sgt Steve Bereziuk: Uh, yes. We believe that this home was targeted. As for signs of forced entry - that would speak to evidence.

5:42 Reporter: Was it something that you found in the house, or was it something that you were told from a witness that led you to change your..

5:47 Det/Sgt Steve Bereziuk: That would speak to evidence.

Some info about the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club:

Full Member Categories
Membership at the Royal Hamilton Yacht club provides you full access to club and her facilities. As a member you receive a vote at the Annual General Meeting, as a member of the club with a boat, you receive two votes at the Annual General Meeting. The initiation is a one time fee. Membership allows you reciprocal privileges at other clubs the RHYC is associated with. A list of clubs is listed on our website. Children and dependence under the age of 18 are included in the membership.
Ages: 65 and older
• Initiation: $500
• Annual Dues: $816
• Food & Beverage Quarterly Minimum: $150
Ages: 40 to 64
• Initiation: $500
• Annual Dues: $1,166
• Food & Beverage Quarterly Minimum: $150

From googlemaps, the property looks like it provides a very private rear yard (the fire was reportedly started inside the couple's bedroom located at the *back* of the home), with a cemetery immediately behind.

The cemetery appears to only have ONE road access point. It would make sense for anyone arriving toting accelerent to do so via vehicle so as not to be lugging it down the road? Here's hoping that some homeowners along York have security cams pointing out to their driveways and road.

Posting some pics from googlemaps below.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back