Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thought I had was that it could have been someone visiting the area, perhaps a relative of a family there.

Since it is the summer and relatives or friends visit . Perhaps a S.O. who has a habit of looking for his next victim.

The authorities would be checking alibis of known sexual offenders in the vicinity.

But what if someone is staying with a family there or just passing through who noticed she was alone and watched her?

Someone who is under the radar of the authorities? Someone who saw an opportunity and took it?

Just a thought.

I thought I read somewhere here, maybe a few pages back that the the POLICE had dogs out? Does anyone know if they were scent dogs or cadaver dogs? They are 2 different types of trained work dogs.... any word on what/if they picked up any smells?

Hoping this nightmare comes to a close soon for this family/community.

Wouldn’t it be pretty easy for police to check the boyfriend’s alibi? If he’s staying at a hotel for an out of town job there would be plenty of cameras around to show he was either in his hotel room for the night or he wasn’t. But police still saying they’re checking everybody and everything. Just an observation.

In many cases...they have a strong idea who is guilty but don't have the burden of proof to make the arrest. Sometimes they need the time to search devices, etc to get that in order to make the arrest. Or they don't want to make the arrest until they have what they need to hold them. If they don't think serial killer, often they will just watch the person until they incriminate themselves. It is possible they have an idea, and are sitting and watching while searching for her.

I guess I'm leaning this way as I can actually relate. When I was this age, I had a 'long term' relationship (5 years) I appeared strong voiced and confident, but behind closed doors, it was a very controlling situation with my BF keeping very close tabs on my every move and my friendships. I was careful of what I said and did as not to be scolded afterwards. It was exhausting! Interesting that she's mentioned BF in multiple posts also, it's like she needed confirm his presence?

I realize I'm being swayed by my own personal experiences, but it's where my feelings are at this point.

Yes, she could have been randomly stalked or targeted. She could have simply walked away too. I'm sitting on this side of the bench at the moment.

It's more common than people realize.

I thought I read somewhere here, maybe a few pages back that the the POLICE had dogs out? Does anyone know if they were scent dogs or cadaver dogs? They are 2 different types of trained work dogs.... any word on what/if they picked up any smells?

Hoping this nightmare comes to a close soon for this family/community.

Great post!

Ive been searching to find out when the trip for the upcoming wedding was going to happen and sure enough it was coming up quickly. Early August so it was right around the corner.

Notice the words the Mom uses below "closing in on me". If her daughter had similar feelings about her own relationship then.....

Not only could she have had second thoughts and discussions about her own life planning but what if she decided she really did not want to go to the BF's brothers wedding and travel out of country? If the BF was one of the best mans at his brothers wedding then he may not have taken the news so well if she did not want to go. Especially if airline tickets and hotel reservations were already paid for by his relatives or something.

So many possibilities.

I really hope she ran off for a spell. Because any other option is not good news.

"Tibbetts’ mother, told ABC News that Tibbetts had planned to fly out for the upcoming wedding of her boyfriend’s brother, scheduled for early August in the Dominican Republic. “As that date gets closer, it’s like closing in on me, because I’m thinking about these two people that are getting married that were also really close to Mollie,”"

'Excruciating' Mystery Swirls After Student Vanishes — as Locals and Celebrities Seek Answers

as soon as you become a suspect you lawyer up and stop talking. Clearing someone dont mean anything, just you dont have evidence right now.

It could cause problems for the prosecution later on. "You 'cleared' the defendant."

There have been rare cases where the police totally lies about a suspect's status in a public statement but they usually just keep quiet.

Making generalized, vague statements can be an investigative tool and should not be taken as befuddlement. Also, officers will sometimes intentionally make a subtle but minor mistake in a release to see if anyone steps forward on social media to "correct" it. Don't underestimate local sheriffs. They have connections to the community that the FBI and state police do not. Probably a lot more going on behind the scenes then they are disclosing. It's critical to find the golden witness - the person who is able to make the last confirmed visual sighting of the victim. If there was wi-fi in the house where she was staying and she used it- the ISP should be able to show if and when she was logged in. That may be more useful than cell pings.

I would say it will take the sheriff several days to image her devices and those of people closest to her or who were last with her. He would probably lack the resources to do that locally but a larger town or the state would assist. Let's hope for the best but the longer this stretches out, the odds of a desired outcome diminish. Based on what little is known, she does not seem to be one to abruptly leave the grid. But we know so very little about her or her BF.

Also still trying to wrap my head around this. She appears to have returned from a late afternoon run. Her BF has reported seeing a Snapchat photo of her she sent around 10 pm. He assumes it was taken inside her house. That image has since self-deleted? She was leaving early the next morning for work in Grinnell. But the car she would drive was not at the house where she resided? How was she getting to work? Did she intend to catch a ride with someone else? Who? Was someone going to pick her up or bring the car to her? Was she going to walk or run across town early in the morning to get to her car's location? Questions, questions.

Great post.

This is so sad! Why in the world hasn’t a family member spoken with the media? Seems weird that they aren’t sending any messages like “come home, we love you” or “just drop her off safe somewhere if you took her”. Not her mom. Not her dad. No press conference. Just bizarre. :(

I don't think it's weird at all that her immediate family hasn't spoken. They are likely in shock and extremely distraught. They also may know something we don't.

I'm troubled by the update on the Facebook page. Who manages that page? Who created it? Rhey appear to be criticizing the family. Accusing them of not helping "our efforts to find Mollie." Wth?

Who are they?

Last eyeball sighting was neighbor who saw her jogging around dinnertime?
BF was alone in Dubuque

If Mollie sent him a goodnite snap, why didn't he send her one back? Why didn't he say goodnight too?
Snapchats disappear so I guess we are having to go on BF word until LE confirms in presser

This "Jarrett" guy who she worked with "connected" with her and at the end of the video on the news they show a pic of her sitting next to him with her head on his shoulder?

To much weird stuff going on now for me.

We don't know that he didn't say goodnight back. But regardless, this was 10:00 pm. He could've fallen right to sleep. Happens to me.

These two quotes are about 30 seconds apart and are either contradictory or at very least, confusing....

DJ: I came home as soon as her mom said that she called the hospital and she wasn't there.

DJ: One of her coworkers called me and said Mollie had not called in to work that day and she hadn't shown up, and then i looked at the messages and she hadnt opened or read any of them so I started getting in contact with her friends and her family saying hey have you seen her, have you heard from her. And everybody came up with the same thing: no, I haven't seen her since yesterday.

I don't see a contradiction at all. A co worker called him. He checked his last text to her. Saw they were unread. Started calling friends and family. No one saw her or heard from her.

Then, her mother told him she called the hospital where she works and she wasn't there.

He came home.

All of that could've happened and none of it contradicts each other.

In my strong opinion the boyfriend has nothing to do with her disappearance!
This is a stalker.
She may have known him.
He might have just met her in the house with a gun pointed at her.
She was in a vulnerable position.
That's what stalkers like. Taking control over their foreseeable victims.
It could also be a woman wanting her man.
Like I posted earlier
my daughters ex stalked her
he got a girlfriend
she was jealous of his stalking
so she stalked my daughter also.
I didn't know who was scarier!

Anything is possible. But where's the evidence of a stalker?

You can if you’re using iMessage. Or if using Facebook messenger.

Or if the person has the "read" feature turned on their iPhone.

Jack said he opened a Snapchat around 10 p.m. Wednesday from Tibbetts, where she was back inside dog-sitting.

When she didn't show up to her job on Thursday morning, he knew something was wrong.

"She hadn't called in,” said Jack. "I looked at my phone and noticed I texted her good morning that morning and she hadn't looked at it. So I got ahold of her friends and family."

JMO
I know we split hairs on every piece of information we find because its all we got.

Something just rubbed me a little wrong with the above.

No confirmation that there was any back and forth exchanges between them the night before or the morning she went missing.

Its all one sided. Happened to see and open her snapchat but no back and forth exchanges?

Then the thing that really struck me is the wording that morning.

"noticed I texted her good morning"

Wait a minute. Someone would not have to notice that. He would have known he texted her good morning.

I really hope she just ran away. I want her to be safe really bad. Prayers for her and her family.

I'm about 15 miles from Brooklyn, so just a few thoughts from a local:
  • The area had severe storms the day she was reported missing and may have very well wiped important evidence (i.e. footprints, tire tracks, evidence of struggle)
  • Local LE has little to no experience in something like this. The crime scene was likely compromised by many persons, simply due to lack of experience.
  • There's speculation that she may have been taken in the morning prior to work since the red shirt she was to wear that day was missing. However, her glasses are contacts were also left at his home and her family states she has very poor vision and can't see well without them. Why would she have prepared and dressed for work prior to putting her glasses/contacts on?
  • In small towns like Brooklyn and these rural communities, it is not uncommon to leave doors unlocked, especially while in the company of dogs.
  • The probability of her 'just leaving on her own' is VERY low in my opinion. From a local perspective, this idea is just not plausible. School is about to start back up and if she wanted a break from the life she's living, well it's right around the corner.

Great points. One thing- I put my glasses on after I dress and put on make up. It's the last thing I do before grabbing my keys. Or even after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592