Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't take that one sentence in this interview out of context!!!! The reporter cruelly asked Mollie's dad what he would say to Mollie, so he had to say something.

The dad is crying in this video. He CLEARLY does not think Mollie ran off to Vegas or is having a grand old time somewhere.
Even if she did leave at her own accord, it doesn't mean she's off in Vegas having a grand old time. It could mean she left with someone she trusted that wasn't actually trustworthy. I think it's good to keep all possibilities open.

it's really a frustrating conundrum. because you are 100% right, adults have the right to leave without telling anyone. and yet I also see where the other poster is coming from because in the cases that it's NOT a voluntary disappearance, time is indeed the enemy. Sigh.

Definitely! By the time you can report an adult missing in some jurisdictions, statistically they would already be dead if missing against their will.

If this is the case, I am encouraged. Because the owner can give permission and they will want to clear their property ASAP from this sort of exposure. And it means too there may be cameras or logs or more folks who are not intimately related to one another on site so this too should move things along faster hopefully. At least that is my opinion right now. then again it may make LE's job harder because the logistics for such an operation is different than a family farm right? Could be a network of farms. Do bigAg farms use their own truckers or do they contract that out?

Do we know who owns the farm(s) searched so far?
I have been doing some research on the farms but I thought TOS here was that we can't sleuth anything/anyone unless they are a named suspect? Maybe a moderator can clarify. I have alot of info on the farms that is in public domain.

At this point I am leaning towards the theory that Molly was abducted by someone local and/or someone she knew. I base this on LE actions up to this point. Stranger abductions are absolutely the hardest crimes to solve. There is no link or connection to the victim, often no evidence and no exact info of where and when the abduction took place. This is when the call goes out from the police. They give the timeline, when and where victim was last seen or heard from, and ask for any and all tips from the public. There are massive area searches. The only thing LE has to go in these cases is info and tips from the public. That gives them a starting point.
Aside from the usual requests for tips, I am not seeing the urgency and frenzy from LE that occurs when they have nothing to go on. I may be totally wrong, but I believe they have their subject in their sights and are trying to tighten things up. They may not be sure where Mollie is right now, but they have a pretty good idea of the when and the how and the who. jmo

Thank you. Sure enough its in the video link with the father. One of the first things he says is he talked to her for about 3 hours on Sunday and he mentioned they discussed the upcoming wedding she was supposed to go to in the Dominican Republic. Its the very first thing he mentioned when asked by the reporter when was last time he spoke to her and what was discussed.

Father of missing Iowa college student speaks out

13 days, no vehicle BOLO, not even a vague description of a POI, no firm location or time where they believe she was last safe. Doesn't matter if they've interviewed 50 or 500 people. By now, they have examined the relevant ISP and wireless data; vetted alibis, executed search warrants; imaged her remaining devices and the devices of those in regular contact with her; done sit downs with co-workers, family and associates, examined CCTV footage, canvassed the nabes, done some knock 'n talks, pulled the trash, etc. If they processed the house, some of that will have come back. Not sure if AFIS would even be useful due to the traffic. The one thing I have not seen is a line of stern faced LE behind a dais filled with microphones making a plea to a witness they may have overlooked; the delivery driver, paper boy, trash collector, perhaps someone from another community who was picking someone up or dropping them off, maybe someone getting off the second shift. As it stands now, who of those potential witnesses would know if they may have seen something relevant without a time or location?

Well maybe that's what they're gearing up to do today.

But I keep going back to Katlynn Cargill. They knew what happened and who. Within days. But they released no info and quietly worked the case. Of course they found her body a couple days after she went missing. But they knew where to look.

It was until a few months later that there was an arrest. People were losing their heads over it. Just lambasting LE for being stupid and inept and refusing to turn the case over to the public (many of whom apparently feel they know more about how to conduct an investigation than LE).

But all all along they were waiting for forensic testing to conclude.

We shall see. Hopefully we will know more today.

Don't take that one sentence in this interview out of context!!!! The reporter cruelly asked Mollie's dad what he would say to Mollie, so he had to say something.
RSBM. This is so important and something I always forget - they are responding a question that is asked and sometimes that leads to statements and phrasing that seems unusual/ important when we then view it later.

A ride home to their house, so she could leave for work with the car

I don't interpret it that way, but I could surely be wrong. I think since she didn't make it over for dinner and it was 7:30 in the morning (past time for her to have left for work), he assumed she had already made it to work and texted her to see if she needed a ride home from work. I understand that some will interpret it differently.

Interesting theory. Agree that a 3 hr. phone call is not typical for most.

I don’t think having a 3hr call is “not typical” She’s extremely close with her dad

The dad is crying in this video. He CLEARLY does not think Mollie ran off to Vegas or is having a grand old time somewhere.

100% absolutely agree with you.

I don't think 200 interviews means they've only spoken to 200 people. I think in LE interview is more specific than going door to door and asking a few questions. Could be wrong, though, I'm not an LEO.
Years ago a little girl went missing in a neighborhood where I lived (later found deceased). The police did indeed go door-to-door to ask questions. I lived one block outside of the perimeter where they canvassed, but I could see them and I also talked to neighbors who were questioned on the doorstep. An officer knocked on their door and asked if the person answering the door had seen the little girl, and then did the same at the next house, etc.

As an aside, it was a very sad and traumatic experience for the neighborhood. This happened years ago and it still haunts me. My heart goes out to the people of Brooklyn, Iowa, even those who didn't know Mollie.

Of course, LE does much more than knock on doors, but that is part of the process. I've seen it in cases on WS as well - LE even asking for DNA from males living in a neighborhood by going door-to-door (little Jenice's case comes to mind).

jmo

But I keep going back to Katlynn Cargill. They knew what happened and who. Within days. But they released no info and quietly worked the case. Of course they found her body a couple days after she went missing. But they knew where to look.

It was until a few months later that there was an arrest. People were losing their heads over it. Just lambasting LE for being stupid and inept and refusing to turn the case over to the public (many of whom apparently feel they know more about how to conduct an investigation than LE).

i never feel like they dont know what their doing. I feel they dont give the public enough info to know what their suppose to look for. They miss out on critcal information to me.

I agree with mtnbiker. I believe she was abducted..Probably by two young guys probably knew her brothers or her remotely they were drinking or drugged up, stopped to offer her a ride, took her got rough she fought them they panicked killed her and threw her fitbit out by the pig farm while driving to Deep River to throw her in a ravine...

LOL that would never happen. Imagine all the wasted resources running down people who change their plans at the last minute and don’t care to tell anyone, adults stuck in traffic with a dead cellphone battery, or people like me who sometimes just want to not be constantly reachable for a little while. As adults we are afforded the right to go where we want and not have to tell anyone. Mollie had that right too.

WOW. Maybe you didn't understand my post? I am referring to protocols for LE who are working cases for folks whose loved ones file missing person reports!

The scenarios you offered are irrelevant unless someone reported you missing.

Sure Mollie has the right to go wherever she wants. Do you recall the Runaway Bride case?
Here is the other side of what you mentioned - no one has the right to stay hidden from authorities after a missing person case is opened. So in this case, if Mollie had just decided to go -LE has made it clear through the media there is a missing person report on her and she has a responsiblity - both morally and legally, in some states there are statutes on the books now that make a person who is willfully hiding from LE in such a case financially responsible for the costs incurred. Not sure how IA works - if you are in GA watch out!

And the true focus of my post goes back to the way MISSING TEENS and YOUNG ADULTS - college aged- cases have been worked. There were decades LE just naturally classified them as Runaways. Privacy laws prevented LE from being able to jump to it even when they knew something was wrong. Their hands were tied. There was an old case, forgive I can't recall their names off the top of my head, that finally proved the young couple - that's right a boy and girl- didn't just run off. They were murdered!

Protocols change as needed. Sadly most of the time it takes someone dying for it to happen! Which is just so wrong imo. We should be able to look at cases and determine what can make the next one have a better quicker resolution? And then get busy making the protocols what LE needs them to be. LE can only do what they are allowed to do by LAW! Many don't realize but it used to be illegal for police to tell the media there was a missing person case filed! I could go on and on with how much better we are today. But hey, we have a 20 yr old in the heartland in a tiny town missing. And she has been missing for 13 days!

I believe some of the ways LE are forced in some cases to approach a MISSING PERSON case slows their efforts. Some jurisdictions require a particular time lapse before the courts will app LE can use the time as part of the reasoning to gain access to cell phone data, etc. I want to know the particulars here.

In my home I have power of attorney for my hubby, he has one for me. If something happened to one of us either one could call the cell phone company and give LE permission to get anything they needed!
Clearly in Mollie's case she wouldn't have had such a document. It appears Mollie's phone was her own - not on her dad's or mom's plan so they could just request it and take it to the police -

or maybe it takes time to get these records - I want to know the specifics because we need to do all we can to close the time window down ASAP. Clearly her FITBIT and computer were her own.

Maybe parents and college aged kids need something in place to allow them to quickly work with LE to get what LE needs without having to do through the courts?

Some departments have protocols where they spent days assuming a person did exactly what you offered while time ticks by, evidence deteriorates or become more difficult to track down, ...

I stand firm in my post and opinion and believe with the way technology has altered the way we live we need to understand in real specific terms what we need to do and what we want LE to be able to do ASAP to resolve a missing person case.

Just go back through the thread, im sure somebody linked it already. I am tired of hashing it out to be honest.
That is why I am asking. Everything I have read thus far has reported he was offering her a ride from the boyfriend's home to her home ,not from work. I am asking where you read this because I have not read this in any of the media shared here.

Last edited:

What if she was abducted in a semi truck for example driving around on a residential roads. Some people would think thats strange because semi trucks arent really suppose to be in those type of places. Thats just an example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz