Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an impossible question. If she was abducted, then obviously there is a dangerous person out there. If she left, the public is not in danger, but he can't say that because they don't know for sure.

I think his answer was the only one he could give responsibly. (Kinda odd he didn't have a ready answer, though, as he really did hesitate.)

jmo

To me, the long pause tells me he wanted to say no, that it’s isolated, but that would limit the suspect pool and potentially tip someone off. I felt he had to best think of how to say “no” in a round about way

Based on....? How do you know? Is this your opinion?

No, it was discussed on HLN Live, the channel I watched. After the PC with the investigator who was on the show following. I did not get his name. He mentioned the guy in the car taking pictures then said they have a person of interest but did not talk about it at the PC. Also, it may be someone she knows.

Anyone else getting a hint she might have left on her own? I never considered that an option at all, but now...I wonder???

jmo

RBBM

This.

"We don't know why Mollie is missing."

The way he worded this makes me wonder, too.

Interesting how he really hesitated when they asked if the public is at risk, though.

Yes, that was strange to me as well.

Last edited:
I'm confused--I thought they made it pretty clear they were not going to release any case facts during this PC? But now many people are getting upset that they didn't release any case facts during this PC...I agree--it doesn't make any sense that they had the PC knowing in advance they they weren't going to be telling us anything we didn't already know...What did anyone expect to find out from the PC today?

They sound frustrated.

Either:

A) They think she's missing willingly after they've wasted so many investigative hours searching for her
B) They literally have no solid leads whatsoever.

Interesting how he really hesitated when they asked if the public is at risk, though.

I 110% agree with these two theories. I just had the volume on during the press conference and wasn't watching the video, after that question was asked I had to pull the screen up to see if I had lost the feed because of the insanely long pause!! Scary to realize how little everyone seems to know. Hopefully they're just keeping some things to themselves, but I for one am glad they're doing regular pressers even if it is to say they know nothing new, less speculation and seemingly more transparency

I'm confused--I thought they made it pretty clear they were not going to release any case facts during this PC? But now many people are getting upset that they didn't release any case facts during this PC...I agree--it doesn't make any sense that they had the PC knowing in advance they they weren't going to be telling us anything we didn't already know...What did anyone expect to find out from the PC today?

At least a timeline and knowing where they think she left or went missing from.

I want to believe they are holding valuable cards close to the chest. But after watching this, I feel like the simplest and most likely scenario is that they've got a bunch of random cards and not much they can do with them. I think they are at a bit of a loss.

I also found it off-putting how much time they spent patting themselves on the back.

Just the emptiest possible statements. And they read them! Like the sheriff had the shortest possible statement to make, with no meaningful content, but still needed to read it off a page. The whole thing felt like amateur hour.

No, it was discussed after the PC with the investigator who was on the show following. I did not get his name. He mentioned the guy in the car taking pictures then said they have a person of interest but did not talk about it at the PC. Also, it may be someone she knows.
Is that someone actively involved in the investigation? I find it hard to believe they would have details that the people in the investigation are refusing to release and would just share them nonchalantly like that.

The emphasis on "getting to know Mollie" - anyone else wondering if that is because this was done by someone she was close to?

Yes. That and the long pause about public safety. And also saying that they won’t confirm or deny things that the media has stated. I got the feeling that they know what happened, by whom, and that it’s an isolated incident. Likely someone she knew. They just haven’t found her, so are keeping things close hold.

I would like to know if the house was all locked up and if she had keys to this house are they also missing.
Hopefully more will be released as of Friday.

Another thought--is he maybe not willing to answer the question of if she was last on her run or at home because the answer is neither? To go along with my last post, was a friend/acquaintance who does not live in Brooklyn meeting up with her that night? We know about the SC and the text to her mom, but that doesn't mean she also wasn't communicating with someone else via text or social media. Did an out-of-town friend message her that they were "randomly" in Brooklyn that night; did she want to grab coffee, food, whatever, and even offer to pick her up? Or she walked to meet them somewhere, so her last known place would have been somewhere in public that would give away to the suspect that they are on to that person? All of this is JMO. I never even considered another last place seen except the house or on a run, but it is possible.

Added one thought: Walking to meet someone for a casual cup of coffee or meal would also explain why the neighbor who saw her said she was walking nonchalantly as opposed to jogging.

Based on....? How do you know? Is this your opinion?
I think they guy on HLN said this but his statement was misleading and poor reporting, IMO. He called him a POI and said he was taking pictures of mollies running route, but that wasn't the case. Someone (who turned himself in) was seen pictures of girls running, but this was not even in the same town mollie was running in. (I think like 30 min away?)

Interesting. Every time I see a press conference like this I always think back to Charlottesville PD Chief, Timothy Longo, and his press conferences. He showed videos they had, provided a timeline and almost berated the public for not providing enough info in the Hannah Graham case. They had the killer tracked down in short order. Then we have this.

Per the Fox News reporter, LE is not stating to the press if she made it home from her run or the condition of the home where she was staying (i.e., signs of break-in, no signs of break-in, presence or absence of signs of a struggle).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquisitive11201