Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mollie's cousin was interviewed on the Crime Stories with Nancy Grace podcast released yesterday and she said Mollie's mom told her that it "wasn't out of the norm" for Mollie to say she was coming over for supper and then not show up.

but mollies mum said she asked what they were having? I don't recall her saying she was going for dinner. maybe she just assumed? or maybe she did say she was but her mum didn't mention that in her interview im sure.

<modsnipped>

Definitely agree; Family dynamics vary.

I am still hopeful LE is pursuing info about acquaintances, ....that 3rd circle of people, who (let's say), the Brothers Jack knew through their contracting work.

Case in point: My brother, a carpenter, leased a space for his workshop. It was a small building, with a lot of other people leasing rooms for small businesses. Long story short: A huge flood inundated all the offices on my brother's floor, including his. Only after the flood, did they learn from the authorities who investigated, that, in the floor above them, a VERY illegal business was taking place.

I'm not sleuthing the Brothers Jack at all. I don't suspect them in the least. But, like other Websleuthers said, whom did they tell they would be out of town for the week? Where is their workshop? Do they share it with other guys, business associates? Where are their big tools, like their lathe, drill press and table saw, etc.? Is this equipment in their mother's house, or in their basement with the dogs, or at a leased location, where a whole bunch of people (perhaps unsavory people) know their out-of-town schedule, have met the fiance and Molly, and knew there would be a woman alone at the residence on Wednesday night?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that was...interesting.

My take is that they believe it is someone she knows and they do not believe the public is in danger bc of that. But if they say "no danger to the public," that becomes very obvious and they want to play close to the vest.

Also the wording of "Finding out what is normal for Mollie, what isn't, and who was in/near Brooklyn on the 18th" make me think this is someone she knows maybe who doesn't live in Brooklyn necessarily or was supposed to not be there on the 18th (I am NOT pointing fingers at bf, housemates, etc. She probably knows a LOT of people who had no reason to normally be in Brooklyn on the 18th, even college buddies). And maybe they have reason to believe she was with someone or doing something that night that was not the norm for her--random meet-up with a college friend or co-worker, etc. kind of thing. I don't know, JMO from hearing all this.
She went to school in another town (Iowa City) and worked in another town (Grinell), and she had a very 'robust' SM presence, so it's possible an acquaintance from either school or work who were from out of town, came to Brooklyn on the 18th to get her. If a stranger/non-local was seen around town and after "getting to know Molly" LE figures out that person was there that day or that week, and that was unusual (i.e., she never had lunch, supper, drinks, or study buddy get togethers with people from school or work), that could definitely lead to a POI, hopefully.

One more thing that keeps me on the current opinion track - Director Winkler said they were confident in the timeline they have. And they aren't releasing it to the public ---

That single thing speaks volumes to me right now. I am not worried they need tips from ANYONE. Now I think they need tips from folks who are CLOSE. There may be folks out there who feel stuck between doing the right thing and trying to put distance between them and what they know. It never works! It is always better just to go to LE and be honest. Honesty can't hurt you. Rationalizing, hiding, or avoiding may just bite your and land you somewhere you could have avoided.
Ain't that the truth!? It's a heavy burden to carry when you are hiding something. It seems hard to tell the truth, but it's easier than carrying that weight. The heaviness of the burden doesn't go away over time - it's relieved by telling the truth and setting things right.

Somebody out there can set things right again.

jmo

I think it’s important to keep the odds in perspective here. The three biggest causes of disappearance in order of their prevalence are voluntary disappearance, abduction by someone known to the victim, and stranger abduction. From what we know about this case, voluntary disappearance seems exceedingly unlikely. So we are left with two likely possibilities and not enough information to determine much more than that.

I noticed he kept it very personal - they need to get to know Mollie. They don't need to investigate or delve or dig into, but "get to know." It was a surprisinlgy gentle way to phrase it, imo.

He refers to her name Mollie during the press conference - not "Miss Tibbetts," the "victim," "this missing young woman," etc. Very personal and connected to Mollie, a sensitive approach, not "we're going to get you, whoever you are!"

Granted, that could be his usual style, but it does stand out (as we analyze this bit by bit). I think it's a good team, concerned about Mollie.

jmo

I will go one more step - I think his choice put him above anyone who was merely an acquaintance of Mollie's. He has a TEAM - actually there are two teams who have been 'getting to know Mollie' along with the Director and Special Agent Thysse and the Sheriff. My guess right now is as soon as the effort was made to reach out to the Sheriff about Mollie, the Sheriff put folks to work to find her. It is such a tiny town and tiny county - there may be alot of land but people - not so much. And I believe is contributing to LE grabbing the ball, sending the public home, and getting busy!

Based on the Press Conference here’s my thoughts:

1. They won’t give up the timeline because they have led the POI to believe a different timeline. If they give up the actual timeline the POI will know he/she is now a suspect. And the friendship they are developing with this person will be jeapordized.

2.. they continue to talk about “technology” and chasing down leads from “technology” not anything specific like Snapchat. I think Mollie met someone online on an app like Hinge, Bumble, Instagram, VSCO or whatever. That person was likely a “catfish” pretending to be someone else. The POI likely doesn’t know that LE has their IP address and can identify that they were catfishing Mollie and potentially the last person in contact with her.

3. They mention knowing your surroundings and calling LE if you hear something suspicious. Mollie may have been chatting with the POI on this app late into the evening and said something along the lines of “I heard something outside” or “I’m alone and scared” and POI got the idea to go to her location. Likely someone knocked on the door after she’s fallen asleep and startled her. She checked her phone and POI said they were outside so she went to the door and something happened. If she went to the door she may have put dogs downstairs. When someone new comes to my home I put dogs in another room cause they bark and jump. This could also explain glasses and contacts. When I’m startled in the middle of the night I go to my staircase to check downstairs without my glasses on and my contacts are in the bathroom in the case.

Just my opinion.

I'm still stumped. I can't think of a scenario that makes sense re not showing for dinner
With nothing confirmed about Mollie on July 18, it's certainly possible she stopped at her Mom's when nobody was home, grabbed a brat, and left. Brats aren't exactly a formal sit down meal. It also appears to be a busy, adult household and maybe her Mom cooked, and went off to do other things. Nobody home would compliment her brother Jake's statement that he was last in family to see Mollie when he dropped her off at boyfriends house. Until LE tells us otherwise, anything is possible, including more speculation....

Last edited:
I noticed he kept it very personal - they need to get to know Mollie. They don't need to investigate or delve or dig into, but "get to know." It was a surprisinlgy gentle way to phrase it, imo.

He refers to her name Mollie during the press conference - not "Miss Tibbetts," the "victim," "this missing young woman," etc. Very personal and connected to Mollie, a sensitive approach, not "we're going to get you, whoever you are!"

Granted, that could be his usual style, but it does stand out (as we analyze this bit by bit). I think it's a good team, concerned about Mollie.

jmo
I noticed he used her first name more than one would in a normal PC. Personalizing her in case the person is watching? I also found it odd her family was not there. Watching PC in the past it’s very common for the family to be standing on the sidelines .

Will LE say someone is cleared when they really aren't?

They can say someone is not a suspect if they do not have clear evidence of a crime, and thus far they have not confirmed a crime has been committed (the press conference was pretty clear, they are intentionally avoiding committing to to the circumstances of her disappearance). They have never, however, publicly "cleared" anyone as a POI and when specifically asked about a POI (not suspect) in the PC he definitely avoided answering (to which the reporter responds his answer was "not a no" and he definitely clamps his jaw, the body language gave the answer, they do have a POI in her disappearance).

I wonder if the perp is invited to the wedding, and if they will be allowed to leave the country if they are being considered as a POI by LE

Nobody has been named a POI or arrested so I'm not sure how you can stop someone from leaving without doing that...since I"m sure that person doesn't know they are being "watched"....so to speak...since they are claiming nobody is a suspect right now.

Another thing that comes to mind that's odd about this to me ... in the Elizabeth/Lyric abduction case, they were very clear about the timeline. They released it in great detail. There were no questions asked about it, and I'm assuming that's the norm from comments in this thread.

I'm leaning towards the idea of there being something in the timeline that they don't want us knowing, like some have speculated: her going to her mother's to grab a brat.

I don't think we should infer family was involved:

Assistant Director of DCI Field Operations Mitchell Mortvedt told NBC affiliate WHO-DTthat Tibbetts’s family members and her boyfriend have been cleared of suspicion. “At this point, we don’t feel [they have] any involvement in her disappearance,” he said.

Fitbit may be key to finding Iowa student who went for a jog last week and hasn’t been seen since
I couldn’t agree more. Not only is there no known evidence of any family involvement, but it doesn’t seem at all likely based on what we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipstar2