Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that makes sense to me is that Mollie was alive at least for a time, and was observed to be -- seen, or heard from, or both - after events of the official timeline grow less certain. They "need to get to know" her to figure where she went and what has happened after she left the scene voluntarily.

I re-read this ^ and hope it is indeed the case.

I think it’s important to keep the odds in perspective here. The three biggest causes of disappearance in order of their prevalence are voluntary disappearance, abduction by someone known to the victim, and stranger abduction. From what we know about this case, voluntary disappearance seems exceedingly unlikely. So we are left with two likely possibilities and not enough information to determine much more than that.

That's where I'm at. We just don't have enough.

Not necessarily inferring family was involved, just saying perhaps someone else was around if she did in fact go to her mothers house for the brats. Maybe someone knew she was going, or saw her on the way there. I'm not sure, just always thought it to be odd that no one ever followed up with her, as I know when I was 19 my mother was always texting me to see where I was, what I was doing, etc.

Your post contradicts itself. In one breath it states "Not..inferring family was involved" and then "just always thought it to be odd that no one ever followed up with her, as I know when I was 19 my mother was always texting me to see where I was, what I was doing".

Sounds like an inference to me.

The mom has been clear Mollie did not show up for dinner. A few people have explained that not all families are alike and many are casual about things like this. Another post discussed how according to family, it was typical for Mollie to say she was coming but then not show up. Nothing indicates Mollie actually confirmed she was going to her mom's. She said "Ok", when her mom told her what was for dinner. That's it.

I have followed prob hundreds of these cases...I don’t think they know what they have here. I can’t say how many times I thought LE was being cryptic and sending messages when they just did not know. But as always jmo.
Agree with you.

I truly believe that LE must feel that releasing the timeline will let the public have a good idea of a possible poi. I cant see how letting the public know where or when she was abducted would put her in more danger. Every abduction case I have followed where LE has suspected a stranger, they have released a timeline so that the public can know when and where they may have seen something! LE definitly knows something in my eyes. MOO

<modsnipped>
Agree. I won't begin to judge her mom. I continue to be curious about how she planned to get to work Thursday morning. If it was typical that she took the shared car that was at her mom's that evening, I'm wondering why flags may not have been raised when she never picked the vehicle up that evening or early morning. Leads back to her possibly being picked up by someone else and that being known. And then, why flags weren't raised when she presumably did not answer the door for said ride. Not blaming anyone in particular for not raising flags but I think the answers to those questions could serve a key role in understanding what happened. And I'm fairly confident LE has that information. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is, the mom never said Mollie was "expected." We had a poster on here who is Mollie's age who explained really well how some families work when it comes to things like that - how there are open invitations and texts back and forth but it's casual and no one is tracked or panics when someone doesn't show up. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't, and everyone is calm about it.

Of course people who sleuth are going to be predominately from families or have families that are a bit more paranoid. That's certainly the case for me and mine.

But many people just aren't like that. I was convinced by that post that the failure to contact her for confirmation means...nothing at all.

It's next to impossible to know about the brat/text/dinner situation, but I am recalling a responsible and well-liked college-age relative of mine who would make casual plans with me and then flake out. I found out years later that she had a complicated life going on during college, one that I was unaware of and never suspected. Not necessarily a bad or dangerous secret, but a complicated one. That memory is giving me pause for thought.

jmo

I grew up in a rural area that I imagine isn't much different than Brooklyn, IA (although our town had 2500-3000 residents, I believe). Every single LE officer in that town knew every single kid. Mollie had lived there for 10 years, give or take, the local LE probably are taking it pretty hard being they've likely never had such a high profile case in their careers, and actually know and care for her personally. It would be unbelievably hard. IMO

Makes me want to cry.

It’s always more interesting in what they don’t say and how the react when they do speak . My take on it ... the digital footprint through them for a loop... I believe they found something that helped the case, that it did occur that evening ( no mention of a red shirt) , taken by someone she was familiar with but wasn’t local or suppose to be in the area that night. They don’t want to provide a timeline.. no need to. They are trying to flush him out. She may have left willingly however under false pre tenses .
My intuition is that this was most likely of all scenarios -- someone she knew from school or work or another facet of her life "just happened" to drive by her, and they rolled down their window and said "Hi, Molly! What are you up to? i didn't know you lived around here... Can I give you a lift home? I'm going that way.", and then they drove off with her in their vehicle towards the hog farms, which was the last pinging on her cell before they turned it off or she turned it off at their direction.

THIS!!!! I was hesitant to mention apps like Hinge, Bumble, etc. because I don't know if it veers toward violating TOS. But, if it is allowed, I believe this is the exact scenario we'll find played out here. Apps that weren't known to be on her phone, were actually on her phone and she interacted with someone there and in whatever way and for whatever reason, they don't know where Mollie is today. It also makes the PC comment about getting to know Mollie make all the sense in the world.
This makes a lot of sense to me. jmo

It's next to impossible to know about the brat/text/dinner situation, but I am recalling a responsible and well-liked college-age relative of mine who would make casual plans with me and then flake out. I found out years later that she had a complicated life going on during college, one that I was unaware of and never suspected. Not necessarily a bad or dangerous secret, but a complicated one. That memory is giving me pause for thought.

jmo

Hmm. Interesting.

I need to clear something on #7 I wrote where I made a mistake. I was talking about runaway bride case. I can't recall the name of the poster who corrected me - She did LIE to LE. I lived in GA at the time and I recalled she was sued for the money spent to find her! There was an uproar. It has been so many years I got some of the details wrong. Sorry.

With that said, it is never a good thing to LIE to the Police - any of them. It will only set you on a track of pain you may have avoided if you had begun with the truth. Mollie is young and her friends and associates and acquaintances may be young too. It is one thing to be afraid of consequences it is something more self destructive to spend time covering up or running -- there are so many cases where people involved say it was such a weight lifted once I went to the police!

Seems like if they have a POI, in many cases LE has been able to arrest them on something else, traffic, warrant etc...these suspects are seldom free of a tangled past. Do they not know where this alleged POI is or is he clean as can be legally? Le in many cases does not hesitate to haul in and interrogate people they suspect even while victim remains missing...I think in Danielle’s case among others. Often the public is aware of LE’s interest in suspect even while victim is missing. So I am confused...really 50/50 as to whether they have a POI here...word would get out, historically.

This press conference makes sense because it keeps her name in the news, and the public focused on the case. Even if there is nothing new to say, no new information to reveal, the press conferences have a purpose. The more people that are made aware of this case, the better.

You're very logical. I like that.

I have heard LE avoid the question about public safety in many cases I have followed.
The pat answer.. everyone should always be aware of their surroundings.
That doesn't set off any particular alarms for me.

There is something extremely unusual about this case. I can't quite put it into words, just something very off

JMHO
I agree wholeheartedly. Maybe the POI/person she knows is a prominent person in the community, at her college, or work, so LE has to tread very carefully, and that's why the hinky meter is going off?

jmo

It's also reminding me of Danielle Stislicki. The night she went missing she had just confirmed dinner plans through text with a best friend. She didn't show and authorities weren't notified until early evening/late afternoon the following day when friend went to her apartment and found her car and an empty apartment. Lots of discussion then around her missing dinner and the time it took for red flags. Perhaps both were flaky on occasion or had a habit of not following through with dinner. Impossible to judge IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley