GUILTY Ca - Becky Friedli, 18, Vicki, 53, & Jon Hayward, 55, Slain, Palm Desert, 17 Sep 2006

Not sure if anyone saw, but Sunday there was an updated 48 hours that aired about the case on cbs. I believe it’s available for streaming if you’d like to see it

Not sure if anyone saw, but Sunday there was an updated 48 hours that aired about the case on cbs. I believe it’s available for streaming if you’d like to see it

Hi Xojo, Do you have more details, so I can try to look this up?
Thanks, in anticipation:)

I likewise watched an updated version of the CBS 48 hours documentary. As far as I could tell, it was much the same as the previous version, apart from an epilogue that had been added (from 40:10 onward).

If you think they are guilty , what makes you think so?
Indeed it would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall of the jury room for the 10 days, and learn exactly what parts of the evidence persuaded the jurors to reach the conclusion that they did.

I likewise watched an updated version of the CBS 48 hours documentary. As far as I could tell, it was much the same as the previous version, apart from an epilogue that had been added (from 40:10 onward).

Indeed it would be interesting to have been a fly on the wall of the jury room for the 10 days, and learn exactly what parts of the evidence persuaded the jurors to reach the conclusion that they did.
IMO they are not guilty. Was it planned or not planned? None of it makes any sense, was Becky's body staged? Who was in that red truck? The smoking gun is a business card at the scene that had his DNA and fingerprint on it. If it was planned, they seem smart enough to have carried it out better. If unplanned why was the time to stage the body? They found footprints, I guess it safe to assume they were the wrong size or the prosecution would have made a big deal out of that. No way these two did it. If you think they are guilty , what makes you think so?
IMO they are not guilty. Was it planned or not planned? None of it makes any sense, was Becky's body staged? Who was in that red truck? The smoking gun is a business card at the scene that had his DNA and fingerprint on it. If it was planned, they seem smart enough to have carried it out better. If unplanned why was the time to stage the body? They found footprints, I guess it safe to assume they were the wrong size or the prosecution would have made a big deal out of that. No way these two did it. If you think they are guilty , what makes you think so?
Hi bergertime
Hi bergertime...i think we see this case differently & that's ok This is just my take...
I hate to speak for other people since I wasn't a jury member...but most circumstantial cases are based on just that - the circumstances.
Like I said, I wasn't on the jury, but with the evidence that was published; I would have found them guilty.

Their stories conflicted on the night of the murders...RP said they were in CS's Oldsmobile...CS said they were in his Acura.

They said they cancelled plans with Becky, but becky told her friend that RP & CS were on their way up to her house . Was he lying? There was no evidence to indicate he was being deceitful. In fact, everything he did was checked & corroborated by the cops & FBI. Phone records show a call from Becky's home to RP's cell, pinging off the tower towards hwy 74 (their alibi said they were going north, not towards Becky's house) cell phone evidence shows them proceeding towards the crime scene. The FBI testified that in higher altitudes phones can sometimes ping off other/further towers...(cell phone
Companies will warn you of this close to the border; you could accumulate international charges in higher elevations.)

Their phones were both off right after this...either they both turned them off or they were in an area with no cell phone service. (This was unusual for both. RP’s wife testified that it was the only time she wasn't able to get a hold of him. It never ever happened before the murders or after)

If they had been where they claimed to be - Paintballing...CS's house...their phones would have pinged in that area.
RP & Becky were texting & talking quite a bit right up until the murders & then he never attempted to contact her ever gain after that - that is powerful evidence to me...he knew she was dead.

The guy in the red truck that the fire truck encountered is nothing...what evidence is there that he was involved?? Nothing. Just because he was being a moron on the road??? There are plenty of random jerks out there all the time. There is absolutely no evidence connecting him.

The card with CS' fingerprint & DNA seals the deal for me. There is absolutely no reason for his DNA to be there...he said he had never been there. If the card was found in a jacket, or in her car (I would still find that highly suspicious) .But for it to be found at the murder scene??

The defense tried to discredit the dna evidence b/c of poor testing or whatever. It was his DNA at the murder scene. Someone's dna can't be found somewhere because of poor testing. Some testing procedures aren't as accurate as others; but his was as accurate as modern testing can get. The chances of it being anyone other than CS are 1 in 28 trillion.

Not to mention RP lying about owning the guns. And having accessories for a Glock

Remember..."reasonable doubt" doesn't mean beyond any doubt. Not all the questions will be answered. & Who knows why people do the things they do. Was she posed? Why did they do it? Only they know. We can only look at the evidence for our conclusions. A common phrase in forensics: "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" Just because no DNA was found on the wheelbarrow handles or her socks doesn't mean they weren't there. & The unknown dna on her socks could have come from anywhere. That is common.

The totality of evidence convinces me way beyond a reasonable doubt that they're guilty. There isn't a single piece of evidence pointing towards anyone else.

& The theory of the cops having tunnel vision? It took over 6 years before an arrest was made...12 years for a conviction. The case passed through several different investigators. They took their time investigating this one.

There have been many convictions on a lot less evidence than what was presented in this case

Regarding sentencing tomorrow (8/10): the twitter account to follow is www.twitter.com/jakeKESQ

As you may have guessed, our local media has a high turnover rate because lots of the journalists leave to either work as reporters in larger areas or anchor local news in smaller towns. For those of you who followed the entire trial, Zak Dalheimer has already left for a larger market.

Friday, August 10th:
*Sentencing for both (@ 8:30am PT) CA - Rebecca 'Becky' Annaleigh Friedli (18), Vicki Friedli (53) & Jon Hayward (55) (Mom's BF) (Sept. 17, 2006) - *Cristin Conrad Smith (27/17 @ time of crime) accused & charged with 3 counts of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders. Plead not guilty. Faces LWOP was juvenile @ time of crime.
*Robert Lars Pape (28/18 @ time of crime) (ex-BF) charged with 3 counts of murder w/special circumstances allegedly of committing multiple murders. Plead not guilty. Faces the LWOP.
6/7/18: Verdict in:
Pape: 1st degree murder of Becky – Not Guilty
Pape: 2nd degree murder of Becky – Guilty
Pape: 1st degree murder of Vicki & Jon - Guilty
Pape: Guilty of special circumstances found true.
Smith: 1st degree & 2nd degree murder of Becky – Not guilty
Smith: 1st degree murder of Vicki & John – Guilty
Smith: Guilty of special circumstances found true.

Sentencing scheduled for Aug. 10th @ 8:30am

Pinyon Pines murder case: Defendants sentenced to life without parole

Robert Pape and Cristin Smith have been sentenced to life without parole in the 2006 triple murders of Jon Hayward, his girlfriend, Vicki Friedli, and her 18-year-old daughter, Rebecca "Becky" Friedli, in Pinyon Pines.

The sentencing was an all-day process Friday at the Riverside Hall of Justice, with the judge hearing testimony from supporters and detractors of Pape and Smith. It capped off a years-long case that began the night three people were found dead at their burning San Jacinto Mountain home on Sept. 17, 2006.
[.....]
Pape and Smith each spoke during the closing moments of Friday's hearing. And although they acknowledged the Hayward and Friedli families suffered tragic losses, they remained insistent they did not commit the crimes for which they'd been convicted.

"I feel no shame and I feel no remorse because I did not take your loved ones from you,” Smith said during an impassioned plea. "The fact is, I’m innocent and I did not commit these crimes. And that will never change.”

Smith's words drew a brief round of applause that was countered by someone on the victims' side shouting, "Becky deserves justice, too."

636625015036215529-PinyonPinesvictims.JPG

They have been convicted and are now in the position of having to prove those convictions are the result of some egregious error.

If there is any chance at all that these two are innocent of these crimes, I do hope evidence comes to light sooner rather than later. The only thing worse than a murder going unsolved is one that results in an innocent party or parties being incarcerated for the crime. It is inconceivable that anyone would want such an outcome.

And yet, it certainly does happen. Our justice system is far from perfect.

Still, I am convinced beyond reasonable doubt that Pape and Smith have committed the crimes for which they were charged, tried and found guilty. Prior to trial they were presumed innocent until proven guilty; at present they are adjudicated guilty until proven otherwise.

There is evidence of their presence at the scene, as well as motive. Their alibis did not hold water. No evidence points to any other party or parties, nor has a motive been uncovered for anyone else. They are guilty, not just legally but as a matter of fact.

Robert Pape and Cristin Smith have been sentenced to life without parole in the 2006 triple murders of Jon Hayward, his girlfriend, Vicki Friedli, and her 18-year-old daughter, Rebecca "Becky" Friedli, in Pinyon Pines.

The sentencing was an all-day process Friday at the Riverside Hall of Justice, with the judge hearing testimony from supporters and detractors of Pape and Smith. It capped off a years-long case that began the night three people were found dead at their burning San Jacinto Mountain home on Sept. 17, 2006.
[.....]
Pape and Smith each spoke during the closing moments of Friday's hearing. And although they acknowledged the Hayward and Friedli families suffered tragic losses, they remained insistent they did not commit the crimes for which they'd been convicted.

"I feel no shame and I feel no remorse because I did not take your loved ones from you,” Smith said during an impassioned plea. "The fact is, I’m innocent and I did not commit these crimes. And that will never change.”

Smith's words drew a brief round of applause that was countered by someone on the victims' side shouting, "Becky deserves justice, too."

So Pleased for the results.
Now probably, we'll have the Appeals.

[.....]

Hope when this was uttered, there was an APPLAUSE:
"Becky deserves justice, too."

Pape and Smith appealing murder conviction • Idyllwild Town Crier

Robert Pape, 30, and Cristin Smith, 29, are appealing their convictions for murdering three Pinyon residents in 2006. In June, a Riverside County Superior Court jury found both men guilty of the deaths of Jon Hayward, Vicki Friedli and Becky Friedli, Vicki’s daughter.
[.....]
On Aug. 14, Jeff Moore, Pape’s attorney, filed the notice that he would be appealing the conviction and sentence, and Smith’s attorney did likewise.

Riverside County Sheriff Stan Sniff's wife, Jennifer Sniff, is Riverside County's TOP fingerprint forensic technician and employed by the Riverside County District Attorneys Office. She testified during the Pinyon Pines Triple Murder Trial that she examined the business card that was used to wrongly convict Robert Pape and Cristin Smith.

She testified at trial that there was NO MATCH for either Robert Pape or Cristin Smith.

She was also NOT allowed to examine the card for a match to suspect number #1, Javier Garcia, because Javier's father works for the District Attorney's office and by his election meddling while on duty elected our current DA.

The County paid for a second opinion, and what do you know? For the money, someone was willing to put two innocent guys in prison for the remainder of their lives.

Continuing the afternoon trial from May 17th:

Zak Dahlheimer KESQ
@ZakDahlheimer
·
8h
Stay tuned tonight on KESQ News Channel 3 and CBS Local 2 for a complete look at today in court in the #PinyonPines triple murder trial. You can also follow me on Twitter @ZakDahlheimer for live updates from inside the courtroom (link: Zak Dahlheimer) facebook.com/story.php?stor…

Court is back in session. Judge Schwartz looking over document from Pape's attorney, Jeff Moore. Also presented to judge stipulation regarding Richard Takenaga. Moore says he also has another witness expected to come up.

Jury is entering courtroom.

Judge reads stipulation #13 to jury (agreed upon facts, assume their true). Item testified by Takenaga 14 expended shell casings recovered from an ammo can at Friedli home during processing of crime scene. Another item expended shell casings recovered from Pape's home.

Takenaga also testified firearms used by comparison were recovered from Friedli home.

Judge also taking judicial notice (true facts) Sunday 9/17/06, US Naval officials were able to obtain sun and moon data. Done at Palm Desert. Sun rose at 6:30 a.m. Sun transit was at 12:40 p.m. Sunset was at 6:49 p.m. Moonrise was at 1:55 a.m. Moon transit was at 9:21 a.m.

Moon set was at 4:40 p.m.

Jeff Moore calls up ninth witness of the day, Jennifer Sniff. Sniff is a forensic technician for Riverside County DA's Office. Worked for RSO, had experience as a fingerprint technician

Forensic technician identifies picture of business card found near the Friedli home. Purple on card identifies amino acids, according to technician

Moore finished with questioning. Prosecutors asks technician about other duties at DA's Office. Prosecutors and defense attorneys finished with questioning. Technician is excused. Moore calls up tenth witness of day to the stand.

Court is in recess. Will resume at 2:25 p.m. RSO Detective Ryan Bodmer is expected to take the stand after recess.

Re the comments/evidence in post #596:
1. Apparently either it didn't rate a mention in KESQ's comprehensive tweet-based coverage** of the case (which seems odd, given its significance), or they weren't allowed to report it.
2. If this evidence was presented at the trial, as stated, then the jury supposedly had the opportunity to consider it, after which they (whether rightly or wrongly) nonetheless reached a guilty verdict.

"9:01 AM - May 18, 2018
Jeff Moore calls up ninth witness of the day, Jennifer Sniff. Sniff is a forensic technician for Riverside County DA's Office. Worked for RSO, had experience as a fingerprint technician
9:05 AM - May 18, 2018
Forensic technician identifies picture of business card found near the Friedli home. Purple on card identifies amino acids, according to technician"

I did a search and couldn't find a thread for this family. Its a case I remembered vaguely from 2006. There isn't much out there that I can find.

Rebecca “Becky” Annaleigh Friedli was killed in a fire Sept. 17, along with her mother and her mother’s boyfriend at their Palm Desert area home. They were apparently killed before the fire.
It seemed to become a cold case very fast.
The last news story I see states they hadn't even identified the mom and boyfriend's bodies.

http://oldsite.the-signal.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=35321&format=html

You have to dig deep, and even then the article is so old it has been removed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back