Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, avalonisland, That's a totally new idea here (for me, anyways) that Mollie's snapchat photo to her bf the night she went missing may have been taken in someone's car!! That would explain why he said it looked like it was taken "indoors" when LE asked him, but he didn't necessarily recognize the interior of their house as the background. The white interior of a car could look like the white walls in their house, but his 'mind's eye' noticed in the couple second flash of looking at the photo before it disappeared that he wasn't sure where she was.

LE was later reported in MSM to have asked Mollie's mom specifically if she knew whether Mollie was "in a house" the night she went missing at around 9:45 pm.
If not bf's home, then whose home? And that should be in the area. Snapchat should record other details of the transmission, if it went through wifi vs. mobile data. Her phone service provider should have records of mobile data activity and approximate location.

But they most likely would be able to access her most recent icloud backup and also her ISP or cellular provider will be able to provide lots of data to reconstruct her activities that afternoon and evening. Nothing beats a forensic image, but they may be able to image the phones of the people she communicated with that day and get an accurate picture of her traffic with those phones. It is my understanding some Snapchat traffic can be retrieved from Android phones. It has been done in other cases. Not sure if any Android phones were used here.
Oh yeah I agree. My point with the OP was that requesting Apple to break the password on her phone is a moot point without the phone in hand.
I mentioned early my phone left at the airport was taken apart and contacts contacted (this was an Apple) to reach me. The companies have set boundaries but that does not mean that officials do not have the ability to work through any privacy concern.
I saw some tweets lamenting that Sadie case is only known as the dead girl that wasn't Mollie Tibbetts. It's so very sad for her family.
My point was on privacy expectations. The government can work around the technology. In my case, they were more interested in the phone itself because it was an airport.

Of course we do. But we can view his statement through the prism of viewing countless situations where the family of a missing person has expressed similar sentiments, all in the face of circumstances that indicate a contrary reality.

However, for what it is worth, i will contend in this case there is a special "prism" through which to view given the 3 hour phone call between father and daughter.

To me, that is a significant amount of time plus potential breadth and depth of topics for two seemingly so close already.

IMO LE may not be the only one keeping things close to the vest.
I'd like to believe dad being strong and stalwart is sending out a message of love and trust.

I don't want to breach TOS, but just looking the first time at a person who was interviewed they said, " a waste of their time". If a young person was missing and they wanted to talk to me, I would worry, even if innocent, but would never consider it a "waste of my time" ....I would consider it a "waste of their time". Not sure if this makes sense, but I get strong feelings whether guilty or not, I do not get good vibes from the person interviewed.

Many years ago I had two detectives show up at my door, a gas station had been robbed in Denver and someone thought I looked like the composite sketch. I was freaked out, very nervous, but sat at my table and talked to them, let them take pictures of my arms (I had no tattoo's) and then they left. I worried for three days and called them and asked them to please let me know when I was cleared. They said, "Oh sweetheart you have already been cleared" and that was the end of it. I am just saying, it was not a waste of my time, I felt bad for the gas station people. But it was a waste of the precious time for those detectives. IMHO

Early on media was reporting that Mollie's electronic footprint would find her- has all the data been processed? Is it likely that her phone never left Brooklyn Iowa or that it lost charge before she left her town? If she ever did leave her town.
Good questions. LE hasn't given any of these details. Presumably her phone was turned off within so many minutes of her abduction or going missing, which based on LE searches, was a few miles/minutes from where she was staying and near the hog farm that has been one the places LE searched several times and has questioned people.

Just finished reading the past 12 hours of posts...geez, work sure gets in the way of my sleuthing sometimes...don't really expect any huge news to come out of presser this Friday. LE will arrest a suspect as soon as they have one and think they can make charges stick. Unlike politicians, who seem to always schedule press conferences in the dinner hour or prime time, I don't think LE is looking for ratings or votes, They won't sit on a suspect while they try to increase an audience for the televised news. I do think they may release some news, but nothing that will jeopardize any ongoing investigation. And I just want to say, I have said all along that I believe she may have been snatched by or left voluntarily with someone known to her, and I still believe that. In saying that, I have never implied, nor do I believe that it was ever her intent to not return. I think something went bad quickly that she never anticipated, if she did go with someone voluntarily, and I fear that LE, and probably even her family, highly doubt that she is alive and being held at this point. JMO

Last edited:
two things:

1. based on this most recent article, it could be poor journalism but the jumping between WC and mollie's parents throughout the brief article eludes that both mollies' parents and WC think WC isnt involved. WC is saying he is innocent (as anyone, guilty or innocent would do) and i dont think he fits the profile of someone mollie's parents think she'd get into a car willingly with. almost makes me think it is someone about her age or an older person she has a relationship w that stems from something professional/structured (professor, TA, parent of a camper, parent of a friend etc).

2. for our more seasoned members (obviously not me, although if i stick around ill regret this username) can you think of another case where the parents have been so straightforward about thinking their daughter is alive via MSM? i mean that question with no disrespect to her parents but it does strike me as a bit different (as in they may have different information, not that her parents are different) but im also not a pro.

so, do you think that they've received stronger evidence than the "typical" family in this situation that shes alive and whether or not that proves to be true, it explains these statements.

or do you think this is their way of handling their devastation and possibly potential grief to come and if the media will interview with them, they are rolling with it and hanging onto hope. which would be ENTIRELY understandable. just looking for a little insight based on past cases.

‘Just hang on’: Mollie Tibbetts’ parents share theory on her disappearance

Really random thought but also possible: could WC have found her Fitbit and/or Iphone on or near his property and brought it/them inside thinking someone lost them? The phone could have been ringing on silent in his possession and pinging from his house which *looks* really bad when the police show up, but maybe he had plans to try and find the owner or just sell them. If he sold it... maybe he needed LE’s help finding the person he sold it to. Just a thought. IMO seems like he may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time? His record doesn’t help

Edit: I don’t go off on too much of a tangent but if anyone erased her data from the phone completely... yikes

I am going to take a break again, will check back daily and of course watch the presser on Friday with hope. I so want there to be a miracle here, I hope every time and usually get disappointed, but they do happen, so once again I am praying for her to be okay. My thoughts as usual are with her family and friends. PLEASE let there be a miracle. IMHO

However, for what it is worth, i will contend in this case there is a special "prism" through which to view given the 3 hour phone call between father and daughter.

To me, that is a significant amount of time plus potential breadth and depth of topics for two seemingly so close already.

I'd like to believe dad being strong and stalwart is sending out a message of love and trust.
Yes, I recall in an interview when MSM asked him if anything discussed in their last "long" phone call before she went missing would have given him any indication there was something going on with her interactions with anyone recently, he was adamant and said "Absolutely Not!!" Could have been what he truly believed at that time, or could have been him attempting to diffuse suspicion from the unknown person who he hopes has her and can be reached and convinced to turn themselves in with Mollie alive.

IMO, "appropriate" varies. I would agree that personally I see the risks in posting such photos. I am a huge advocate for internet safety and actually incorporate it into workshops I facilitate for caregivers. But, from a realistic perspective, this IS what the average young adult posts. A 20 year old's brain is still not fully developed and the prefrontal cortex is the last part to develop in mid 20s. It is responsible for rational decision making and the ability to effectively control impulses and reduce risk taking in addition to other high level functions. Taking "inappropriate" photos and posting publicly would fall within typical late adolescent early adult decision making. Moo.
Amen. What she posted is pretty typical of her age IMO/experience. While we may have a particular image of who Mollie is, thanks to the media, we also have to remember that until her disappearance, she was just a normal 20-year old college kid, who never would have thought that thousands of strangers would be viewing and evaluating her photos. And like you said, their brains are not yet developed to fully understand consequences etc. To be completely honest, the photos seem relatively tame compared to plenty of non-private accounts I've seen. I REALLY don't think those photos alone are enough to spur someone into action. At all. Now, would I feel awesome if that were my daughter? No. But that's neither here nor there.

Interesting point that I had not considered with the Dad! Thank you!

An oldie but goodie (relatively speaking):

Mollie Tibbetts Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Dad’s comments about someone misinterpreting a relationship make sense. It may also make sense that the person of interest may have known her from her work at the camp, or from college.

The key is what angle the POI is coming from, and the motive. Friends and associates of Mollie’s need to step back and think about that.

She may have made a “friend” in the area around that in the general vicinity of the farmhouse. The reason I use quotations on friend is the other person may have had more of an interest than she did, but misinterpreted her kindness.

Not a definitive answer, of course, but another aspect to think about.

so, do you think that they've received stronger evidence than the "typical" family in this situation that shes alive and whether or not that proves to be true, it explains these statements.
or do you think this is their way of handling their devastation and possibly potential grief to come and if the media will interview with them, they are rolling with it and hanging onto hope. which would be ENTIRELY understandable. just looking for a little insight based on past cases.
Respectfully snipped for focus.
It is a standard approach to insure the general public keeps looking for Mollie. Second, as long as remains haven't been found, we must remain hopeful, however slim the chances appear

I don't want to breach TOS, but just looking the first time at a person who was interviewed they said, " a waste of their time". If a young person was missing and they wanted to talk to me, I would worry, even if innocent, but would never consider it a "waste of my time" ....I would consider it a "waste of their time". Not sure if this makes sense, but I get strong feelings whether guilty or not, I do not get good vibes from the person interviewed.
I took it as though he was saying they were wasting time questioning him, while the person responsible is still out there. (not that I'm defending him)

Amen. What she posted is pretty typical of her age IMO/experience. While we may have a particular image of who Mollie is, thanks to the media, we also have to remember that until her disappearance, she was just a normal 20-year old college kid, who never would have thought that thousands of strangers would be viewing and evaluating her photos. And like you said, their brains are not yet developed to fully understand consequences etc. To be completely honest, the photos seem relatively tame compared to plenty of non-private accounts I've seen. I REALLY don't think those photos alone are enough to spur someone into action. At all. Now, would I feel awesome if that were my daughter? No. But that's neither here nor there.
Along these lines VSCO is just a photography tool, it's not like it's some kind of illicit dating site. The KEY is with whom and/or where she shared those photos.

If not bf's home, then whose home? And that should be in the area. Snapchat should record other details of the transmission, if it went through wifi vs. mobile data. Her phone service provider should have records of mobile data activity and approximate location.
The point of the post was that it was first time I'd considered the selfie could have been taken inside a car, instead of in someone's house (unknown specifics in both cases, bf being unsure where it was taken, but not totally familiar background, which is why he said "looked like it was taken indoors"). LE asked Mollie's mom if she could confirm whether Mollie was "in a house" at 9:45 pm (15 minutes before Dalton opened the last snapchat photo from Mollie).

Did she take that last selfie in her bf's house, someone else's house, or in her car or someone else's car? LE hasn't said whether they narrowed that location down.

My personal thoughts are along the same lines. I managed to quickly Google the news at the office today to see if there were any developments. Sadly, there were none. The family's despair must be heart-crushing at this point. I pray that somehow we are all wrong...but I don't think it's going to end well.

I have always thought Mollie went missing while on her evening run. With that said I was quite surprised to hear her dad say on his interview 'somebody came to the house' known to Mollie. Does he know something or is he just guessing too?

I have always thought Mollie went missing while on her evening run. With that said I was quite surprised to hear her dad say on his interview 'somebody came to the house' known to Mollie. Does he know something or is he just guessing too?
I'd say he knows quite a bit. Let's hope this is resolved very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod