Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be way off the mark; also it might of been mentioned earlier. The presser on Friday might be related to CW polygraph test. They probably take a few days to interpret. I don't think anything note worthy has taken place near the time of the presser.
I'm hoping during the press conference they will clarify whether or not it is still a missing persons case or whether they have enough evidence to state they don't think she is alive. I doubt they will reveal the results of a lie detector test, although they may clear some people or announce they have a suspect or POI.

I looked too but think it is no longer viewable. I tried using wayback but there are no saved dates for that website.

I found a few saved dates using wayback, with the last TIP Rec home page save from Aug 5, 2018. The most recent changes appear to have taken place after the 5th. (Pages under the home page were saved less recently.)

Last edited:
What would cameras being down at the utility coop have to do with telling people to pay their bills in person?

It was likely intended as a "heads up" to customers using the drop off that there was lessened security of there payments, as there was no security cam watching the drop box. Which is telling in and of itself. Makes one wonder if they have had previous issues, like a box fisher, theft, vandalism, or customers at the box being hassled. Yeah, it's a small town, but it's summer and kids are out of school, and they do get bored. As evidenced by the vandalism of the hardware store; a cracked door glass and graffiti sounds like kids/teens, and who would not be tempted to drop an M-80 or a thermite sparkler into a payment box. Also unmentioned in previous theories, what about teen aged (or older) grandkids, from the big city, spending the summer in the country to "straighten up" or "dry out". On Wednesday night a lot of people go to Church. While gramps was away, did the city mice get out to play?

This is awesome. Thanks for everyone’s efforts.

What about adding “passport” to note re DL and ID, as well as specific device and clothing info?

Okay, I took out the references to the funeral home until someone can track down the source of that information, added the passport, and specifics of her clothing and devices. Sightings, as I understand them, are listed at the bottom.

WHAT WE KNOW
  • Mollie’s jogging clothing is missing – pink sports bra, black shorts & running shoes
  • Mollie’s devices are missing – cell phone & armband, FitBit and white earbuds
  • she has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • the dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • she went for a run at 7:30
  • she usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • video was collected from various businesses, including Casey’s
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • she may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  • Her driver's license, passport and debit card were at the house
  • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  • No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Reported Sightings
  1. NH, 7:30 pm - W Pershing Dr
  2. RT, time unknown - W. Des Moines – walking east, would have to go N or S
  3. DR, 8 pm - East 2nd Street - jogging west toward Casey’s
  • DC, time unknown, West St - allegedly told by LE (not an actual sighting!) that MT jogged past his house and made it home

Last edited:
I don't envy the job of these investigators, nor do I feel there is any basis to criticize them at this point. They are likely working their butts off to solve the mystery and bring Mollie home. I hope they are successful and aren't distracted by discouraging comments about their competency.

Simple research into missing persons cases shows the disparity and neglect and over high profile approach missing persons cases have. There is no normal. There is no protocol. There is no standard approach. Throw in Missing White Woman Syndrome on top. There is nothing "standard". Either about the missing themselves or how the disappearance is made public.

There is a huge LE immersion in this case. HUGE.

I have great faith in LE knowing a plethora of stuff we don't.
I also believed in Santa Claus til I was ten so ya know. What do I know?

MOO.

I'm hoping during the press conference they will clarify whether or not it is still a missing persons case or whether they have enough evidence to state they don't think she is alive. I doubt they will reveal the results of a lie detector test, although they may clear some people or announce they have a suspect or POI.
In order for them to say “this is now a homicide investigation” they would need evidence of this I think, such as blood, witness/confession, etc. So unless there is any of this, I anticipate it will remain open as a MP investigation, moo.

Of course we have no idea what they know so far, or what evidence has been collected. There could still be items that are being analyzed, etc.

So who knows what they will say on Monday! (If not rescheduled)

Last edited:
I can’t really hitch my wagon to any theory until LE shares what they know about a timeline. All it takes is one piece of information to turn a theory from implausible to likely. Pending further info I tend to think she got in a car with somebody willingly and it became involuntary at some point after that.

Dear SharonNeedles,

Firstly, thank you so very much for the generosity of your time and effort in driving through Brooklyn and videotaping the journey for us.

You've always been an integral part of these threads and your insight is so valuable and appreciated!

I agree with you that she got into a car with someone willingly, someone she knew. Someone who had such evil intentions towards her but Mollie would have no way of knowing this - until it was too late.

I know I sound like a broken record with this but I still cannot believe it was a "coincidence" that it was her second night alone, with no vehicles in the driveway, not overnight and not in the morning. It was obvious no one else was there.

My greatest hope is that tomorrow or very soon, an arrest will be made. I have confidence in this investigation.

May Mollie's loved ones continue to hold one another tight. My heart goes out to them.

I was thinking that the camera would be focused on an after hours drop box that could be tampered with. So, if you want to be sure your bill payment is received, pay it in person because they have no way of viewing if anyone messed with the drop box
Good point

whatever happened with the burglarized house during the same time she went missing? is that too much of a coincidence?
Do you have a link for this? I've wondered if there was a burglary in progress she stumbled across but all I've found is a vandalism. (broken window)

Okay, I took out the references to the funeral home until someone can track down the source of that information, added the passport, and specifics of her clothing and devices. Sightings, as I understand them are listed at the bottom.

WHAT WE KNOW
  • Mollie’s jogging clothing is missing – pink sports bra, black shorts & running shoes
  • Mollie’s devices are missing – cell phone & armband, FitBit and white earbuds
  • she has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • the dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • she went for a run at 7:30
  • she usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • video was collected from various businesses, including Casey’s
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • she may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  • Her driver's license, passport and debit card were at the house
  • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  • No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Reported Sightings
  1. NH, 7:30 pm - W Pershing Dr
  2. RT, time unknown - Jackson St – walking, would have to go N or S
  3. DR, 8 pm - East 2nd Street - jogging west toward Casey’s
  • DC, time unknown, West St - allegedly told by LE (not an actual sighting!) that MT jogged past his house and made it home
Suggestion - could you add a Sources section for links? Otherwise it will be easy for any one fact to be challenged and generate a lot of discussion. In my notes I like to keep a list of sources and number each one then for each bullet point I put the source # at the end like "Mollie is 20. [7]"

...snip...To question the efforts of focus of law enforcement in this case is pretty critical when you really don’t know what, if any, evidence they have or what is going on behind the scenes.
Probably we all appreciate the efforts of LE, and maybe that post was phrased a bit over the top. Maybe the frustration comes from lack of results for Molly and her family (and the community, should there be an ongoing risk!)

However, I am not ready to accept without question the competency of government employees, especially at the interface of traditional investigation with modern technology and modern social patterns.

I respect their authority and dogged hours of effort.

But I cannot forget things like the failure to investigate the shooter in FL after he posted his intentions in comments to a YouTube video. Well, the FBI did investigate by sending local agents to the home of the video poster (in Mississippi!) who had no idea who this commenter from FL might be. It was as if the FBI does not know how the internet works. Multiple levels of the FBI: tip line, tip investigator, dispatcher, approver, local agents.

(Please no knee-jerk responses because I don’t want this to veer off topic into a flame war about something I didn’t say. My point is I think there are some pretty smart people here and I think it is fair to dig into the investigative process. There are LE with more info than you, but it is not a given they are making the same connections as you.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMK