Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the car wash appears to be on the same route she was spotted by a town resident, just east of where he reported seeing her, possibly the car wash is of interest just to locate a suspicious vehicle. Seems a perfect place to hang out and not be noticed. Either this vehicle noticed Mollie earlier and was tailing her, or they happened to be there as she passed by and then followed her. If she continued straight, the area becomes a bit more remote and easier to bump and abduct. jmo

One of the strangest things my son warned me about, when he began his cop job, was to be cautious around CAR WASHES. I was like 'What?'

Turns out that local drug dealers love to hang out there to make transactions. They are shielded somewhat, and can make exchanges relatively out of sight. And if a cop drives by they continue 'washing' their car. lol

On the local cops street patrol, they often make regular cruises through the Do It Yourself car washes to keep the dealers on their toes.

Mollie may have jogged by the car wash, not realizing who was lurking there, watching?

FWIW - definition of the word 'recovery'=
the action or process of regaining possession or control of something stolen or lost.

It isn't the same meaning when dealing with LE seeking a human or animal. LE "rescues" a live person. LE "recovers" a body.

Yes, and "safe recovery of the victim" is a well-worn term used by LE.

Last edited:
How hard would it be to stop behind a jogger in headphones, and carry them to your vehicle? Not very. Then drive off...maybe 25 miles even. No one would see a thing. Maybe toss phone and/or fit bit along the way. It would not even take a minute.

Return to town alone an hour later and go about your business. No one even missed you. Scarily easy.

Wow... I haven't been to this site in years, but this case has caught my attention like all of you.

I am an active 28 year law enforcement officer with a major municipal agency.
From the LE website, if I am interpreting this correctly, LE believed the following;
  • They are looking for a man
  • A vehicle was involved in transportation of Mollie, and possibly criminal acts besides
  • The individual they are looking for works or lives in the area
  • He has his own vehicle
  • He is fairly mainstream
  • He has a cell phone
  • She was taken after 5pm, but he was in the area by 5pm
  • By 10pm they believe he, and probably Mollie, were out of the area
  • He probably has family or close friends who would note his unavailability for a period of hours
  • The believe she is no longer alive
  • They have suspects on their radar
I'm sure none of this is new to anyone here, just thought I'd add another LE perspective.
Correct. They used the word “he” on the website.

Reward is not going to solve this case, imo.
If the terms are changed to “arrest/conviction” ...maybe down the road the right person will make the right guess or connection to a possible perp...but as is, it won’t be claimed. Only one person knows where she is imo.
Jmo

Wow... I haven't been to this site in years, but this case has caught my attention like all of you.

I am an active 28 year law enforcement officer with a major municipal agency.
From the LE website, if I am interpreting this correctly, LE believed the following;
  • They are looking for a man
  • A vehicle was involved in transportation of Mollie, and possibly criminal acts besides
  • The individual they are looking for works or lives in the area
  • He has his own vehicle
  • He is fairly mainstream
  • He has a cell phone
  • She was taken after 5pm, but he was in the area by 5pm
  • By 10pm they believe he, and probably Mollie, were out of the area
  • He probably has family or close friends who would note his unavailability for a period of hours
  • The believe she is no longer alive
  • They have suspects on their radar
I'm sure none of this is new to anyone here, just thought I'd add another LE perspective.
Thank you, Hte2w8, your opinion is very much valued!

bbm

I believe the locations marked on the new website indicate points of interest along MT's July 18th running/jogging route (as determined by LE based on MT's iPhone location data and eyewitnesses), with maybe LE's idea of a perp vehicle route mixed in.

I also believe this far out from the event, the perp isn't feeling so much heat unless the perp did alter their routine/appearance/demeanor or meticulously clean a vehicle post-event.

Maybe a rental vehicle? Has LE checked vehicle rentals within 100-mile radius?

That is the kind of information I was hoping to sort out... that the map on https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/ matches a potential Mollie running route. If it didn’t, I would be even more curious on what it means. I think some of the hotspots might fall out of her running range, and rely on the awesome mapmakers here to sort it out.

Yay, a techie! I'm trying to map the exact areas for area2 and area4--this is from the site:

<map name="tibbetts">
<area id="area1" shape="circle" coords="344,187,22" alt="" >
<area id="area2" shape="circle" coords="494,157,22" alt="" >
<area id="area3" shape="circle" coords="385,297,22" alt="" >
<area id="area4" shape="circle" coords="505,377,22" alt="" >
<area id="area5" shape="circle" coords="385,197,22" alt="" >
</map>

Can you decipher these so they can be mapped?

Those "coords" are relevant to the specific map over which they overlay.

Pastilla said:
"I thought the same. Talking to your dad for three hours when everything is great in your life (and his?) ... Not impossible, but certainly not typical ..."

Marie224 said:

I posted an article earlier and Dad explained, they were used to having long conversations, weekly, because that's how he co-parented from a distance/California and how he kept up his relationship/bond with his 3 children after the divorce. He didn't talk to them every day but when he did connect with them, it was a meaningful conversation.

I'd only add to Marie224's reply that these days they probably are not having an actual phone call. It's more common among people to FT with people so you can actually see them. I could see them doing this, especially RT since he wants to feel a part of their lives. All three kids are probably there sitting around have a family conversation together vs a one on one with dad speaking individually with each kid. When you think of it that way, it's like the family spending an afternoon together so 3 hours is not long at all.

Owutatangledweb said:
After viewing sharonneedles videos, I'm in line with MrTs opinion about looking for a Truck or someone who bought a lot of beer or alcohol that night or within the days before. The only trucks I can imagine going through there are grain trucks. The town had a fairly large grain elevator. sharonneedles can correct that assumption if I'm wrong but that's what it looked like

LE can't and won't assume to look exclusively for grain haulers. The highway 80 I believe it is called is actually a highly traveled trucking route so long haul/cross country truckers carrying various hauls would be aware of it and frequent it. That is what makes that particular possibility very overwhelming when you consider the transporting that goes on during that area on any given day. It is not just the truckers with full loads but you could have truckers ahead of schedule on a pick up or drivers that have already unloaded and hanging around that might do a layover there.

Someone on the last thread made a comment that they are paid to do this job. I can't believe some people believe this. Not only local LE but that of all the other agencies involved DO have a vested interest in bringing this investigation to a conclusion. For goodness sakes folks, these are people we are talking about here. They have wives and kids and family members. They entered LE to SERVE AND PROTECT not just THEIR family but your's as well. They signed up for this. Do not forget that some agencies actually were not asked to join the investigation but volunteered to assist. That is not just someone doing their job. That is up and beyond the call.

Over the years I have had close friendships with several in LE at various levels local and federal and I can honestly say that I have no doubt in my mind some of those men and women go home at night unable to sleep and are willing and do put in extra hours to solve this. Remember you and I can walk away at any time. They can't and are not. They are living and breathing this case and any other one they work on the entire time. Not to mention the cases that end sadly. One of my investigators I knew worked personally on the Martha Moxley case when it happened. He remained tortured about it for the 30 years it went without prosecution. He was right there when MS was arrested and followed things until he passed away. Please, never say this is just a job to them or if they can not have a quick resolution, it is because they do not have enough skin in the game. They have more skin in the game then you or I and we aren't giving up. Have faith. Things take time.

Ok, I am no expert as I don’t work in LE. But I feel like and have always felt like this has been a crime of opportunity. Many seem to dismiss that but it seems obvious to me. I don’t think Mollie went back home after her run. Little side story: My mom was almost taken by a man years ago while walking alone to a friends house. He pulled up beside her, leaned all the way over and grabbed her arm hard to pull her inside but she got away. She was a very petite woman, only 4’10”. So I think that does happen, getting pulled into a car and off you go, vanishing into thin air. When they said today “she might be with someone who caused her harm” my heart sank but that feels like the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member