Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't take credit! Thank you for your contributions. :)

WHAT WE KNOW
  • Mollie's jogging clothing and devices are missing
  • she has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • the dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • she was seen running East on Pershing towards the Funeral Home
  • she was seen at the Funeral Home
  • she typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • she went for a run at 7:30
  • she usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • a digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • video was collected from various businesses
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • she may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • This was the second night that Mollie was alone in the house
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  • Her driver's license and debit card were at the house
  • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  • No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Thank you for the last one @Stippling.

UPDATED 8/12/2018:

WHAT WE KNOW
  • Mollie’s jogging clothing is missing – pink sports bra, black shorts & running shoes
  • Mollie’s devices are missing – cell phone, armband, FitBit and white earbuds
  • She has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • The dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • She typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • She went for a run at 7:30
  • She usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • A digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • Video footage was collected from various businesses, including Casey’s
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • She may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  • Her driver's license, passport and debit card were at the house
  • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  • No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Reported Sightings
  • NH, 7:30 pm - W Pershing Dr
  • RT, time unknown - W. Des Moines – walking east, would have to go N or S
  • DR, 8 pm - East 2nd Street - jogging west toward Casey’s
DC, time unknown, West St - told by LE (not an actual sighting) that MT jogged past his house and made it home

FBI poster indicates that Mollie was last seen running on Pershing Drive.
MOLLIE CECELIA TIBBETTS

Even after our disappointment in not learning anything new today, for some reason I think we'll hear big news in a day or two. Just the way the parents looked so very sad, it's almost like they know what happened.

He did say in the PC that they have searched the entire city and ABROUD

in the PC he did say that they have searched every place in town and ABROAD. That struck me. She had planned to travel abroad. He did not say the town and surrounding towns.. abroad was an interesting choice.... IMO
I wonder if they know where her passport is? Not that I think she'd ever go willingly, but, Mexico?

edit, the passport is among the things she left behind on the list.

Last edited:
I thought someone said the car wash was surrounded by houses. Is it a remote spot or not? I can't remember seeing it the video.
You’re probably right. I’m not suggesting she was grabbed at the car wash. Only thinking it’s a possible place to view a vehicle of interest. LE put it on the map. It also is at the intersection that comes into town from the south. Just throwing some ideas out there.

@MrTT from the last thread:
"This video is from the first page. Would someone watch in slow motion and zoom in and tell me if those back windows are tinted, painted or have drapes on them. The time is between 2:49 and 3:18 Is this what is called an extended cab when talking about a truck like this? thank you in advance"

Yes, that's an extended cab pickup truck. I full-screened it, took a few screen shots at different points and enlarged them in Irfanview, the rear side window does appear to be tinted (look as the truck is exiting the screen).

Moooo

He did say in the PC that they have searched the entire city and ABROUD

in the PC he did say that they have searched every place in town and ABROAD. That struck me. She had planned to travel abroad. He did not say the town and surrounding towns.. abroad was an interesting choice.... IMO

I find this, and the use of the word "Abroad" during the press conference to be very interesting and unusual.

Iowa DCI Agent Mitch Mortvedt said a task force has been established and a new website has been launched with details in the search for Tibbetts.

Authorities launch website dedicated to finding Mollie Tibbetts

I kind of flinched when Rick Rahn (edited) used the term “abroad” in the presser as well. I took it to mean talk about away from Brooklyn. Here is a definition on all the meanings:
Definition of ABROAD

It is a weird use of the term for sure, vague.

YouTube link to press conference from today:

Last edited:
Pastilla said:
"I thought the same. Talking to your dad for three hours when everything is great in your life (and his?) ... Not impossible, but certainly not typical ..."

Marie224 said:

I posted an article earlier and Dad explained, they were used to having long conversations, weekly, because that's how he co-parented from a distance/California and how he kept up his relationship/bond with his 3 children after the divorce. He didn't talk to them every day but when he did connect with them, it was a meaningful conversation.

I'd only add to Marie224's reply that these days they probably are not having an actual phone call. It's more common among people to FT with people so you can actually see them. I could see them doing this, especially RT since he wants to feel a part of their lives. All three kids are probably there sitting around have a family conversation together vs a one on one with dad speaking individually with each kid. When you think of it that way, it's like the family spending an afternoon together so 3 hours is not long at all.

Owutatangledweb said:
After viewing sharonneedles videos, I'm in line with MrTs opinion about looking for a Truck or someone who bought a lot of beer or alcohol that night or within the days before. The only trucks I can imagine going through there are grain trucks. The town had a fairly large grain elevator. sharonneedles can correct that assumption if I'm wrong but that's what it looked like

LE can't and won't assume to look exclusively for grain haulers. The highway 80 I believe it is called is actually a highly traveled trucking route so long haul/cross country truckers carrying various hauls would be aware of it and frequent it. That is what makes that particular possibility very overwhelming when you consider the transporting that goes on during that area on any given day. It is not just the truckers with full loads but you could have truckers ahead of schedule on a pick up or drivers that have already unloaded and hanging around that might do a layover there.

Someone on the last thread made a comment that they are paid to do this job. I can't believe some people believe this. Not only local LE but that of all the other agencies involved DO have a vested interest in bringing this investigation to a conclusion. For goodness sakes folks, these are people we are talking about here. They have wives and kids and family members. They entered LE to SERVE AND PROTECT not just THEIR family but your's as well. They signed up for this. Do not forget that some agencies actually were not asked to join the investigation but volunteered to assist. That is not just someone doing their job. That is up and beyond the call.

Over the years I have had close friendships with several in LE at various levels local and federal and I can honestly say that I have no doubt in my mind some of those men and women go home at night unable to sleep and are willing and do put in extra hours to solve this. Remember you and I can walk away at any time. They can't and are not. They are living and breathing this case and any other one they work on the entire time. Not to mention the cases that end sadly. One of my investigators I knew worked personally on the Martha Moxley case when it happened. He remained tortured about it for the 30 years it went without prosecution. He was right there when MS was arrested and followed things until he passed away. Please, never say this is just a job to them or if they can not have a quick resolution, it is because they do not have enough skin in the game. They have more skin in the game then you or I and we aren't giving up. Have faith. Things take time.

You should get a standing ovation for this post. Well said.

at the bottom it says:
If you have any information concerning this person, please contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.
Interesting.

Also on the FBI flyer:

"Mollie Cecelia Tibbetts was last seen on July 18, 2018, running on Pershing Drive in Brooklyn, Iowa. She was wearing shorts and a sports bra, though the color of the clothing is unknown."

I just watched the presser. Didn't they say (again) that the general public was not at risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssshotgunnn