Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my part, any time you'd run you'd be asking for an asthma attack. A need for inhaler and to sit down.
I noticed her run times were slow and now I know why. But, it also makes me think that there was some other lure to "running" other the dubious "joy" of it when getting overheated triggers attacks as well as being subjected to a ton of allergens along the way.
Maybe she liked a guy on the track team or the coach or an excuse to "run" by his home to see and be seen.

But, as I stated earlier, if your mom's house having hot bedrooms (probably upstairs), triggers it, then FOR SURE, running outside in the summer time will. There must have been some heavy draw for this.
That could be a possibility that there was someone she liked or maybe she liked the time alone to collect her thoughts.
If asthma is a possibility, she may not even have been aware she had it. This case is so puzzling , I hope there’s some answers soon !

Remember when the mom said LE asked her if Mollie was in a house at 9:45p.m? I've always thought there was some form of communication at that time. I can't find the link to that anywhere anymore tho.

>>snip

“It’s like a fog,” Calderwood said. “You have so many people coming at you so quickly. It all gets muddied together.”

She took a call from an agent who was trying to determine if Mollie was in a home at 9:45 p.m., “and that was with my morning coffee.”

'She hated to be sad and hated others to be sad': Brotherly love for missing sister

Deleted and resubmitted below to tie comment in with kkdj's previous comment.

Last edited:
This train of thought sort of formed while I was sleeping—- it’s like my brain just keeps churning the info no matter what I’m doing!

Mollie disappeared on a summer Wednesday evening. Just a regular old weekday evening. Who is out and about then? People coming home from work. I am looking at that huge paving/construction company right on the edge of town in Brooklyn. In the Midwest, summer is a mad rush to get road work/construction projects done before the snow returns. They do road work 24/7 around the clock where I live.

I had the thought a construction worker may be involved. He could have been on his way home from a job site, perhaps stopped by that office building for something, happened to see Mollie on the road, and just snatched her. She would be no match for a strong guy like that.

He might move around to wherever the current job site is, but be familiar with the town of Brooklyn because the company office building is there. A varying work schedule could hide being home early/late from a wife/family. Cuts/dirt/bruises the norm and not even noticed.

That said, my gut tells me this person worked his way up to this and has committed other crimes. Which could tie in these sexual assaults that were happening to women on rural Iowa roads exactly one year ago:
Women assaulted on rural roads in Linn and Black Hawk Counties, deputies say

I looked at the locations on a map, and these assaults form a triangle across this same area. Again, they could coincide with job sites or routes the perp took for work. I looked all over and couldn’t find anything about this guy ever being caught.

My hunch— this is a “cool & collected” type of guy, 35-45 years old.

Remember when the mom said LE asked her if Mollie was in a house at 9:45p.m? I've always thought there was some form of communication at that time. I can't find the link to that anywhere anymore tho.

I keep wondering if LE asked that question because maybe they saw there was a momentary lack of movement on the digital footprint. Remember, this may have been before LE had all the information they do now regarding the data from her cell and fitbit data. If that premise is true (who knows if it is), it's possible she may have been getting sexually assaulted/murdered at that time somewhere ... among many other possibilities no doubt.

Hi folks.

I haven’t weighed in yet on my assessment of the PC.

My heart is very heavy and I’m overwhelmed with emotion so am going to keep it brief for now.

I have seen 2 other Press Conferences which were very eerily similar—Jessica Ridgeway’s and, as mentioned, Abby’s and Libby’s.

There is little doubt in my mind that a violent sexual predator is likely suspected:at play here, moo.

While pondering why they are not seeing the reason to warn the community, I think this is because they have turned that town upside down and possibly suspect that this predator is not from the community.

The profile released is the standard profile which I posted in the early threads (by memory, unfortunately), with the addition of some new points. They also advised the community to remain vigilant.

I have much more to say about this PC, which imo, is quite revealing. But I’m too upset to go into it right now and can barely post.

Is there a full transcription yet of the PC yet anywhere by any chance?
This would make it easier for me to specifically outline some thoughts if I can respond to it line by line.

Sorry this is not my most eloquent post. My heart is on the floor.
Agreed - there was actually a lot revealed in the PC. I missed it due to work but read a few headlines after and at first glance it appeared to be more of the same. However, when you combine the info given and the website with locations, it's much more telling at second glance. I am firmly now in the camp of:

- MT was taken on her run - sometime between 8:00 - 8:30 PM on 07/18 - she never made it back to the house
- Abduction was likely right after DR saw her jog between D&M Car Wash and Casey's - it's probable she was turning to go back home
- She did not leave voluntarily
- The person or people responsible have some type of sexual motivation. Whoever did it is male
- After being abducted, she was taken south - every place they are asking for help with and WC's property that was searched is south
- MT did not know her abductor or if she did it was only extremely casually. He may have known her in a stalking sense

Only two questions that remain to me (sans who did it) are:

1) - Was this a pre-planned stalker/obsession case and thus someone knew MT was alone and waited for the chance to strike or a true random sexual predator committing a crime of opportunity after seeing the pretty young girl jogging on a lonely country road?
2) - Is MT being held somewhere or is she deceased?

Every other possible scenario given what we know requires lots of mental gymnastics and reaches/leaps to get to it. Logic tells me the above is more or less the way it went down which statistically is very bad for Mollie and the Tibbetts family. Like always, praying I'm wrong. :(

Last edited:
Hi all! I am a longtime lurker and generally feel that everything I want to say is already said, but way better than I could say it lol.

Being from Southern MN and having an aunt that lives approx. 10 minutes from Brooklyn, I have been following this case from day 1. Every day, I wake up and come here hoping to see the title changed to Found Safe. I agree with others who think it is probably a sex offender who was not known to her. While I hope against hope that she is still with us, I know the odds of that are not good.

<modsnipped reddit information is not allowed here>

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a posted shot earlier from someone of this carwash with cameras, at least 4 different ones. Operational? Who knows, but possibility exists that these cameras spotted Mollie jogging as this location is just a bit west of last known/reported sighting of her jogging. I assume truck stop would have cameras as well. Cell phone and Fitbit input combined with camera input equals "be on the lookout" LE statements. jmo
Nice sensible post. They might also be interested in footage of who used that car wash, and the cars passing by the car wash, and the time of day, on the 18th and 19th.

The personal vectors on her life that summer were:

Returning home to Brooklyn in May from college.
Her summer job.
Her election to reside outside her mother's home.
Events and travel for her father's wedding.
Her pending trip to the Dominican Republic.
Any others?

I've never been to Brooklyn or the county or to Iowa. So I will leave it to WS locals to fill in the external events there that could have vectored on her life in July. Sort of looking for projects/events that could have placed people in Brooklyn that might not have been there in April or even May, or that could have caused her to be in contact/exposed with different people. For example, were there any local building or construction projects? Highway paving? Utility work? Water Mains? Sewers? Excavations? that might have used labor from outside Brooklyn. I am familiar with the wind farm construction. I am aware of the fair. My interest in the fair runs more to it attracting out of town visitors. I am aware of the cross-state bike rally days after she disappeared. Due to its size, Brooklyn is not going to be any sort of destination for meetings or expositions, etc. Was there anything else in or around town that week of July 17-18 that was out of the ordinary?

This may not be the kind of thing you're looking for, but:
  • She was getting ready to move into her first apartment.
  • She was taking a summer course (Roman Civilization).

Assuming Mollie may have been doing her homework at around 9:45 pm. Where was she when she was doing her homework?
If she was doing her homework, with what IP address did she log into the University of Iowa?

Her laptop was found at the house (I assume the DJ house).

What I've been wondering is whether the indication of her doing homework was signs of activity on that laptop, or whether it was activity on an online account but that could have been accessed from anywhere. Your question about IP address would answer that.

kkdj, I agree with you. MAYBE LE is keeping it tight lipped and making the perp THINK that she didn't communicate with anyone after he kidnapped her (or after she was at his/her house) so they are not giving out anymore details about her doing homework or Snapchatting later that afternoon (just all MY assumptions). If they say that she DID communicate and he knows then it might scare him away and they won't find Mollie. Maybe they are lying to all of us so that they can keep him here so he can lead them to Mollie. Seems like LE is keeping a lot of things tight lipped probably so the perp will not get scared and flee.

It sure would be helpful to see if there are actual surveillance videos of Mollie running. Eyewitnesses are often unrealiable, especially when you have someone who runs by your house frequently ... folks can easily confuse when they have seen someone . In fact, she had a neighbor (Collum) who swears she didn't run by his house even though he was told by LE that her Fitbit indicated she had...so at some point it would be nice to know what is on camera.

This car wash is very strange. No Yelp presence, no website, no hours visible online. And the Google Maps photos are taken in 2018 and there's not even a sign. Anyone else think this place is weird?
Nope - it's a small town locally owned car wash. You're lucky there is a Google Maps picture of the place :). Frankly I'd be more surprised if there was something on Yelp.

Nope - it's a small town locally owned car wash. You're lucky there is a Google Maps picture of the place :). Frankly I'd be more surprised if there was something on Yelp.

You're too quick for me-- I deleted because the pic is actually from 2013. But there are other car washes near by that you can find online. I only noticed because I'm curious about this place's hours.

Assuming Mollie may have been doing her homework at around 9:45 pm. Where was she when she was doing her homework?
If she was doing her homework, with what IP address did she log into the University of Iowa?
I ask because several threads back I mentioned seeing a message on SM where someone claimed to be an administrator of some sort at the U of Iowa who noticed an odd login to Mollie's account. I believe this was a valid claim because when I looked this person up, I found a message where someone was asking the same person (further back in time) to help them with a problem they were having with their password.
Did anybody else see the message?
Could this tie in with MT's mom being asked if Mollie was in a home at that time?
Might this have been the cause for her dad's optimism at the time?

I detest when cases go this long and families have to consider hiring their own investigators. I truly believe we should be better than this. No family should be put in this position.

There was a case in Fayetteville NC where LE simply couldn't find a missing young woman. It took a local who just couldn't let it go to do his own investigation and then use all skills to convince the killer to show him where the body was.

Bragg soldier Kelli Bordeaux's remains found; suspect arrested :: WRAL.com

Yes, I remember following that one closely since the location wasn't far from where I grew up. I think LE had their eyes on the murderer early (if a murder occurred) but there was no body. After the body was found by the PI with the murderer by his side during the search, LE made the arrest fairly quickly. He's doing M1 -- LWOP.
If you don't have a body, and there seems to be no evidence of violence, or other evidence, you've got no crime of murder. This is a tuff one, folks.
PI's can be valuable, as was the one in this Bordeaux case.

I'm still leaning to a person of authority. Law enforcement, former law enforcement, a manager, boss. Someone she respected and knew. Someone she would not have hesitated to go with and trusted. JMO

I am thinking the same thing Chichi. Or could be someone else like a friend of a friend but much older than her. But also MY opinion.

I ask because several threads back I mentioned seeing a message on SM where someone claimed to be an administrator of some sort at the U of Iowa who noticed an odd login to Mollie's account. I believe this was a valid claim because when I looked this person up, I found a message where someone was asking the same person (further back in time) to help them with a problem they were having with their password.
Did anybody else see the message?
Could this tie in with MT's mom being asked if Mollie was in a home at that time?
Might this have been the cause for her dad's optimism at the time?
I saw that message too...they even posted a photo of a location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smoore9861