Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
When someone pulls a gun everything changes...

I followed a man driving the wrong way through ft. Myers FL streets after I watched him punch her at least 5 times while driving... He pulled into a check cashing place parking lot and I pulled behind him while calling 911... He yelled at me and said all kinds of hateful things... I drew...he kept saying yes sir, sorry sir... Then he pushed her out of the car as he sped away ... She yelled at me for making it worse with her BF... When the cops finally arrived I was helping her clean the blood from her face and she refused to press charges... I just left ... I look for that guy when I'm in that area...
Dogs can make a difference too, which is one reason why I can't imagine something happening at the house. My brother had a beautiful doberman who was the biggest baby I've ever met. He was extremely well trained, but for obedience, not violence. One day my brother was at a gas station and some guy pulled up behind him and started yelling at him because he thought he was taking too long to pump his gas. When the guy raised his voice, Max (his dog sitting in the car) raised his ears. When the guy made a fist and took a step toward my brother, that dog was through the half opened window and standing next to him. He didn't bark or growl, he just stood there and glared at the guy - who slowly backed up, told him to take as long as he wanted, and got back into his car. My brother still says he has no idea if his dog would have attacked because he'd never done it before, but he was ~100 pounds of solid muscle and he had no idea what kind of damage he'd do if he ever did go after someone.

I thought DJ made it sound like his lab/pit bull might be that same kind of dog.

Bingo! The first thing to remember about coincidence, is there is no such thing.
When was she asked if she needed a ride? Morning of or night before. If she was expected to pick the car up would that not have been alert or an assumption that would inquire some form of affirmation?. Are things like this generally not covered ahead of time instead of the morning of? Other may no these answers and I cannot literally pour through all the posts so sorry if this is covered but... why and why not is what I keep asking.

The seemingly coincidental nature of her abduction, specifically that it was a situation that was unique to her experience (dog sitting with everyone being away), only furthers the likelihood of this being the case.

Yeah, this is the hangup for me, and why I think it is likely someone she knew - possibly an older married authority figure in her life - who perhaps tried to groom/woo her and possibly even succeeded until he didn't. Knowing her boyfriend was away, AND knowing she was about to go on a romantic vacation with him, could've amped up his jealously and/or obsessive desires.

However, if this person was privy to her situation (home alone), I would expect there to have been some digital record of an interaction, and thus, some sort of clear direction by now. Law enforcement still isn’t using the words “this is foul play.”

All kinds of messaging apps cannot be traced and/or retrieved. Even if it could be, it often takes law enforcement a good while to obtain it from the companies.

JMO.

I absolutely agree with you. Setup style scenarios do occur, but they are comparatively rare in regards to most other scenarios. Most crimes like this, don’t involve that type of planning, and the fear that the perp feels after committing the crime, does not generally lend itself to an organized effort to mislead. The more outlandish the theory, the further you stray from facts, and thus, the likely reality.
Very well stated.

When was she asked if she needed a ride? Morning of or night before. If she was expected to pick the car up would that not have been alert or an assumption that would inquire some form of affirmation?. Are things like this generally not covered ahead of time instead of the morning of? Other may no these answers and I cannot literally pour through all the posts so sorry if this is covered but... why and why not is what I keep asking.
She was asked in the morning if she needed a ride. Normally, Dalton or his brother/fiancé would have been home, so she wouldn’t have necessarily needed one.

I'm leaning a towards younger guy because I think Mollie would be more likely to talk to a younger guy. Doesn't mean that a dirty old man didn't corner her, which I think is more likely than middle aged, but what do I know. When I pushed carts at a grocery store, we had a guy that came by and swept the parking lot with a machine. At first, he was friendly and I didn't mind him, but things gradually got weird. He started getting personal asking if I had a boyfriend. I was 22, and he was like 70 or so. He told me he sometimes found jewelry in the parking lots and if he found anything good he would bring it to me. Every time he was there the guy would come talk to me while I was pushing carts. I parked on the side of the building because they generally didn't like employees to park in the front where the good spaces are. One night I thought he was already gone because I didn't see him sweeping, and his sweeper truck was parked between the building and my car. He was clearly waiting on me. Even seem to remember him asking me if I wanted to go for a ride. I told him I was in a hurry. I didn't report him for harassment, since I hadn't really told him to leave me alone. You know how nice girls are. We just want people to take the hint. I think I told a couple people that he was creeping me out. I gave notice at work that I would no longer be available to work the nights I knew he was going to be there. Didn't see him after that, thankfully.
I think a somewhat older guy would have a dependable vehicle and also be able to blend into the community - average Joe, good job, goes to church on Sunday. OTOH, a younger guy would blend into her peer group, a friend of a friend or a friend of a relative. Someone who would see her at school or events.

I get uncomfortable with the talk about how Mollie must have went willingly because if it was a stranger she "would have put up a fight." If someone is pointing a gun at you, it's a completely reasonable response to go along with them to avoid getting shot. Particularly if you are a very intelligent person but also a small person, you may think you have a better chance to survive if you try to talk your way out of a situation or reason your way out than fight someone with a weapon.

We may disagree about what we would have done, or what the ideal person thinking clearly should do, but it's not unreasonable. It's not a sign of weakness if you don't put up an evidence-leaving fight. Elizabeth Smart was stolen silently from her house yet she had the incredible strength to survive for months. I hate the tendency to paint victims as "good" or "bad" based on what some expert thinks the ideal rational person with full knowledge of the situation "should have" done.

As I've said on these threads for weeks now, I think she was abducted. Whoever did this had the element of shock & surprise in their favor; never underestimate the upper hand that gives an 'opponent', if you want to put it that way. You might think you're ready if faced with a predator right in front of you grabbing at you, set on doing you in. Who has your arm & you can't shake him.

And you might be, through luck of the draw, witness intervention, or maybe getting the right kick in, or your weapon out fast & that spooked him off. Your screams. There's only so much preplanning you can do for a scenario with a predator intent on making this your last day at his whim. "She should have..." gets real fast into victim blaming. We aren't here for that. Nor are we- I- here to be defeatist about an abduction scenario. Take self-defense, etc. We all know these things. I thought I'd act fast & know what to do. I did. I did think this.

A few years back, I was in my apt. listening to music with my headphones on. Was sitting at the top of my stairs. The cat acted weird then I thought I heard some inside noise. Took headphones off, & BOOM, just like that, a man appeared on the ground floor looking up at me. Just stood there looking at me, stock still. Never seen this guy in my life. You wanna know what I did? After those 10,000 dateline videos, after writing & researching extensively about missing & abducted people over the years, after those self-defense classes? After all my self-talk & awareness how I would *never again* be pleasant to a stranger trying to get me into his car?

That's right. I froze. I knew none of the rooms upstairs had a lock on 'em. I knew I had no weapons upstairs. My mind kept going in circles= no lock, no weapon, do I have a knife at least up here, on & on, & while I stared at him & could not move, my whole body a block of frozen fear. I literally didn't feel in control of my brain in that moment. lockweaponlockweapon. I yelled something like Who the *** are you as aggressively as I could get out my mouth.

I hadn't been out in days; missed the monthly exterminator visit notice taped to my door.

That taught me a lot. I can't know how I will be in that moment -and all it takes is a moment- of absolute surprise, fear, panic.

Sure, I can plan. But it's the shock of it. It's really, well, shocking. "I'm in shock. That's fine. But now I need to think" would have been better.

I say this as a normally level-headed, handle- crises- well woman (so I'm told), but man did that throw me for a loop. Generally, now I have an edc (everyday carry) Sog knife clipped to pants at all times (lots of fun at parties!). Tricky if you have to walk in government offices, etc., the laws to know about.

Anyway, if this post helps one woman on this board in any way, I'm happy. Mollie, let's bring her home.

EDIT: also got my Iowa state gun permit. haven't bought a gun yet.

Last edited:
All of the missed contact points that kept anyone from knowing Mollie was missing are unreal...in this era, her seemingly not being in touch with friends, mom, boyfriend, brother etc on Wednesday night after her run did not raise any flags. Same in the morning. I find it hard to believe that she did not text friends at night as a rule, or post “likes” or comments on some SM, text boyfriend first thing in morning, etc...that age group literally never stops. A witness said she texted while running when he saw her (maybe not that night.) and yet no one was alarmed, when she was staying alone overnight.

I tell you, my mother would, and has, freaked if she couldn’t reach me (within an hour or so) at any point in my life since the advent of cell phones, up until she died at 80. I do not use phones (hate talking on phones) or even text much at all, but both my sisters (we are all age 50+) would call my neighbor if I did not email once a day minimum, to check in. Just bizarre and so sad...though I stress that I do not think it would have saved her...I think she had been taken away by 9pm and LE probably would not have done anything if anyone reported her missing that same night. All jmo

What? Coincidences happen all the time.

One time I started a job at a company, and someone I knew from a previous job years ago was starting the same day. Coincidence? Yes, what's the alternative?
I think that statement was in the context of crime, but yeah, they certainly do occur.

Off Topic:
Not suggesting Mollie going missing has anything to do with an SK, and sorry if it's come up before, I've not kept up with all the thread.

The late great Foxfire posted these resources and often cited them in his observations, as in the thread and post below. Thought you may find them interesting.

Serial Murder

Serial Killers: Modus Operandi, Signature, Staging & Posing

JLM: Psych Thread - Professional and Non-Professional Opinions/Theories

MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #4

Last edited:
She was asked in the morning if she needed a ride. Normally, Dalton or his brother/fiancé would have been home, so she wouldn’t have necessarily needed one.
I think of work rides as usually being set up the night prior so as to arrive on time. Furthermore, no response from her should have raised an early flag?

I think of work rides as usually being set up the night prior so as to arrive on time. Furthermore, no response from her should have raised an early flag?
True, but regardless of why she didn't set it up that evening, all that matters is that the mother wasn't alarmed by this.

This just got me thinking about one thing that's always puzzled me. Mollie is staying alone and shares a car with her brother, she needs that car to get to work. Brother texts Mollie about car and she doesn't respond and no one bats an eye. She needs that car, she can't get to work without it so why didn't that raise some concern? But that's because I've always assumed Mollie's brother and family knew she was staying alone in the house. But if they didn't know that changes things and it suddenly made sense when you posted that it was normal for her not to need the car, which means her brother didn't know she was alone in the house. Her brother must have assumed Mollie didn't respond because she was using DJ's truck.

I think a somewhat older guy would have a dependable vehicle and also be able to blend into the community - average Joe, good job, goes to church on Sunday. OTOH, a younger guy would blend into her peer group, a friend of a friend or a friend of a relative. Someone who would see her at school or events.

I say 34-42, minivan ... They are so easy to load...

Dorothy Donovan

Coincidences happen in crime too. What were the chances that the hitchhiker that threatened to kill CD later killed his mother? Not zero.
Of course this is true, but more often than not (especially in LE) these "coincidences" aren't really coincidences. When a person says "there is no such thing as coincidences," they usually aren't being literal.

Who offered her a ride and where were they when they asked?
They didn't ... They asked to use her phone...powered it off and took all the technology out of the equation ... 30 seconds and she's incapacitated in the back of the vehicle ..

<ADMIN NOTE: Please make it clear when it is your opinion; otherwise your post could be interpreted as fact and stated as fact downthread. Yep, it happens :) >

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member