Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to WS! Agree with all! I believe she was abducted along Mills St. in the area where Green intersects. I had a visceral reaction to seeing that area on SharonNeedles video #3. If that’s the case then the perp drove her up either Green St or Pleasant St to Boundary St and from there straight north to 385 and to the area of 200 and Hwy 6 where she was knocked out and the Fitbit stopped registering movement. And the rest as you stated.

I wonder if fitbit "pings" lead them to the V21 and 430th location, and the pig farm. If so, there had to be movement there? I'm admittedly not knowledgeable on fitbit.

Sorry, I have to disagree. We can be prepared. We can have airplane aft doors secure without having D.B. Cooper jump out of them to give us a reason. We can have communication between LE departments without having to have a Ted Bundy to make us aware of patterns. The example you give is not actually a good comparison, because 911 had nothing to do with military might. Some of the people on board one of the flights did fight. A lot of people were probably saved by that. It's our social norms that prevent us from surviving sometimes. We are taught to be nice, to smile, to be attractive, to be "cool" or not basic or whatever the terms are these days. Kids are not taught basic self preservation, instead self expression and freedom is encouraged. And then something bad happens because someone doesn't follow any of the social norms. And we are reminded to be aware. For a while everyone is. Then it goes back to the demand for personal freedoms. And people forget. And predators, bullies, the psychologically ill and the bad intentioned are always there and looking for an opportunity.

My point about 911 is what you think is coming and your head plan about how you'll deal with it is not always how it appears and/or not the choices you have. I would never say we can't or shouldn't be prepared. I'm not talking about freedom of expression vs self-defense skills or being cool vs learning basic survival awareness or ideals of freedom. I'm definitely not saying there are no predators. In fact I'm saying that a predator, not a miffed admirer or jogger watcher, is likely who got her.

We're picturing in our heads what happened and coming up with a relatively simple list of what to do and what she could have done. That's very different than being abducted and having that actual fight. We don't know what Mollie should have or could have done. What we likely can reason is that any fight she put up didn't get her back home. That's not a statement that fighting is futile. It's a statement that he knew what he was going to do in a situation where she had no idea it was coming until it did.

While 385th Ave seems the logical exit point from Brooklyn, and it’s deservedly getting a lot of attention, I decided to tackle the southernmost point because I find it strange that the FBI have marked it on their map. It looks like that land would normally be under cultivation and there are only a few scattered farms. However, most of them fall outside the area identified by the FBI. I can’t believe anyone would notice what was going on in that area at all, but why are they drawing attention to it.

If you depart Brooklyn, you’ll pass a large truck stop just before turning onto the I-80.

View attachment 142188 View attachment 142189 View attachment 142190

The area next to the Pilot Travel Centre also has a very large truck stop adjacent to the I-80 together with truck repair facilities on the other side. The last map encompasses the entire southern spot.

View attachment 142196 View attachment 142197 View attachment 142198

Both routes have one thing in common – truck stops, but if Mollie left the area along one of her usual jogging routes, willingly or not, that that seems highly unlikely. I only work with facts and the ones that are known to us are only leading to endless speculation so I’ll leave it to others to go down that path.
The Presser said there was nothing significant about the red dots. They are just there to jog memories. But, I don't believe it. I believe there has to be some sort of evidence or tip that is leading them to highlighting these locations. I mean, why TA and not Pilot? I work next to a Pilot. They're pretty good truck stops. What's special about TA? Why would you highlight one truck stop and not the other? I don't know, maybe the TA is preferred by locals.

Some body knew where she would be and when and on what night, they knew her patterns /habit. It would also appear the the perp knew she was also alone and wouldn't be missed for a night.
Incredibly risky for someone who was in her circle -- or close enough to her to know she was alone that night -- to do such a thing. Much more likely that kind of person would be caught. I think it was a stranger.

Incredibly risky for someone who was in her circle -- or close enough to her to know she was alone that night -- to do such a thing. Much more likely that kind of person would be caught. I think it was a stranger.
I agree. Which is why I believe explains the large reward. Hoping for a crack in that circle.

I still do not know what to think. So confusing. Sometimes I think she was hit by a car and the person panicked and took her hundreds of miles away. I am not convinced on anything.

Mollie, where are you????

"My son, Scott, he gave me a call about 5:15 p.m. saying, 'Mom, did you know Mollie didn't go to work?' At which point I said, 'I will be right home," Calderwood said.

After 26 threads of mostly productive discussion my sense is we have a few viable theories but I think its safe to say we honestly have many more questions than answers at this point nearly 1 month after the disappearance. However due to absence of substantive new information from LE to confirm any theories its impossible at this point to assess the likihood of any of these theories IMO. In the last 3 threads it seems like we are increasingly spinning our wheels around the same information we have now had for weeks. We have all been working so hard to put together a timeline of events around the disappearance of MT but we still can't figure out what her jogging route was and whether she ever made it back to BF house. Eyewitness reports have been less than useful in our efforts to put it mildly.

I decided to go back to the beginning to figure out the early hours and days of the local LE effort to find MT and in many respects its more than a bit confusing to say nothing of being quite upsetting. It is quite disheartening to learn of the lag time in this case being reported to local LE and the slow response from local LE being what it was and the fact that DCI seemed to be brought in not be local LE but friend of the family. I am not saying any of this with a sense of blame but rather just putting the timeline out there to make it clear that if MT was taken from Brooklyn via car or truck when LE now says that she disappeared that the perp would have had at least a 12 hr jump on LE. I am still baffled about the extent of FBI involvement in this case but I am not at all certain that even the FBI resources can overcome the sizable time and information gaps that sadly seem to be present in this case from its inception.

In trying to understand why we haven't advanced much from where we started I went back to when and how the family figured out MT was missing and what the early local LE response was to locate MT. I keep reading and re-reading about how the family and eventually LE figured out MT was missing and have to admit I'm a bit baffled. Early hours in any case are crucial and the more I tried to figure out what had happened in the early hours of this case the more confused I became. What is so disheartening about the first few days of the case is that it is during this period when the digital devices might still have been active and of great use to investigators and CCTV/Video would have been most available and accessible. As time went on in the early search it became clear that friends of MT were very concerned and that searches were initiated before local LE even seemed to have a plan to search. Locals wanted to help and turned up to do so in large numbers which was so encouraging. There was also a report of members of the family trying to access fitbit data to find MT and were told by local LE to stop. Local LE did initiate some searches using local citizens but these were called off and people were sent home. Why?

We talked endlessly about this early period of the disappearance in earlier threads but I still don't understand how a non-family member appeared to be the typical work 'emergency contact' to get the call that MT didn't show up for work at 8 am and that this message somehow filtered through the various people in the family to eventually get to Mom at 5:15 pm? Given the small staff of the camp and the fact that they were going on an outing where staff/camper ratios were important, I would have thought that they would have kept calling and calling to figure out where MT was that day especially as she didn't call in sick? Knowing what we know now MT might have already been missing for 12 hrs before the 8 am work start time was missed. Even with the manpower and resources of the FBI how is it possible to overcome a sizable information gap during such a crucial stage of the case?

I don't understand why MT Mom wasn't the designated emergency contact to get the call and why the employer didn't contact her directly much earlier in the day? At any camp I worked at while MT's age attendance of staff and campers was a very big deal and phone calls would be made immediately to figure out why people were not present and accounted for as security of camers and staff was important. The idea that almost an entire working day goes by before a person such as the Mom with the legal authority and ability to file a missing persons report on behalf of her daughter is something that doesn't make sense to me at all. By all accounts the camp called the BF to ask about MT. Did BF call Mom if he for some reason was contacted by camp? The BF had the disadvantage of being out of area due to work so maybe work left him a voicemail and he wasn't able to access it until mid-day or later? Other brother was supposedly at the movies with a cousin later in the afternoon when they received multiple texts/contacts via SM that MT wasn't at work. Did they call Mom at any point? Why did she just find out at 5:15-5:30 pm? Where did the family think that MT could possibly be if she wasn't at work? In everything I've read I didn't get the sense of much urgency on the issue of MT location until over 8 hrs after she was reported to not have shown up at work. Why? Local LE by all accounts didn't start thinking about what to do until the following day after local citizens had already begun to search. Why?

I am posting this because I believe that even with the vast resources of the FBI that very sadly too much time was lost at the front end of the investigation to ever find out what happened or to gather the necessary evidence and eyewitness accounts needed to locate MT or make a conviction. The nearly 2" of rain in the area also probably ruined the possibility of obtaining much forensic evidence outside if this was where she went missing. Early on I was very optimistic that the digital footprint would be large enough to locate MT. It seems this was not at all the case. I am also not completely convinced that people in Brooklyn will remember much 3 weeks after the fact and will come forward with solid recollections for the FBI to work with (Question the red dots on the map process and asking people to remember what they saw 3 weeks after the fact?). I have great respect for the LE professionals that have been working this case and I hope that they are able to find MT with the information that is available. But when I look at the timing of their involvement and what information seemed to be available to the DCI and FBI when they entered the case on their back feet I am sadly not at all optimistic we will see a break in this case anytime soon. I wish I shared the optimism of MT Dad and I do hope he has some information that we don't have because based on what we have I cannot share his optimism and this makes me extremely sad.

My point about 911 is what you think is coming and your head plan about how you'll deal with it is not always how it appears and/or not the choices you have. I would never say we can't or shouldn't be prepared. I'm not talking about freedom of expression vs self-defense skills or being cool vs learning basic survival awareness or ideals of freedom. I'm definitely not saying there are no predators. In fact I'm saying that a predator, not a miffed admirer or jogger watcher, is likely who got her.

We're picturing in our heads what happened and coming up with a relatively simple list of what to do and what she could have done. That's very different than being abducted and having that actual fight. We don't know what Mollie should have or could have done. What we likely can reason is that any fight she put up didn't get her back home. That's not a statement that fighting is futile. It's a statement that he knew what he was going to do in a situation where she had no idea it was coming until it did.
Very well said, and I completely agree. You do what you can to prepare for the worst, but you can never prepare for every scenario. Even if you do, there is no guarantee that everything is going to go your way. The bad guy only has to get lucky once.

Not in Iowa. All DMV offices (which are the country treasurer and car dealerships) have plates on hand, you get a real plate as soon as you register the car.
I am guessing they are referring to the temporary tags dealerships issue when buying a new car. They are good for 45 days in Iowa, placed sometime where license plate goes and sometimes in window, depending on the dealer (but you are right...when we went to the county treasurer’s office last week to register our car, I was surprised that they issued us actual plates on the spot).

Some body knew where she would be and when and on what night, they knew her patterns /habit. It would also appear the the perp knew she was also alone and wouldn't be missed for a night.

No doubt a possibility, but it could be as simple as a Mickey Shunick-like assault/abduction where an impulsive predator "just riding through town" in a pickup truck or van has the urge, means, and opportunity.

JMO.

I'd be willing to bet that if a perp brandished a weapon, 99.9% of people would freeze/comply, regardless of what they say they would do.
I reacted badly to a knock on the door and two people had hand guns, I thought I knew what I would do....I found myself acting like I had Alzheimer's and just went with it...it worked and after a few min they just walked off, but never had I thought that would be how I would have reacted. people that I know that know about it think it was crazy and I guess it was but it was just what came out at that moment.

I personally do not see it being a “she”. It doesn’t fit any real known profiles. Usually if a “she” is involved, it is only because she is helping her “he”. These types of crimes are often sexually motivated, which leans towards a man. Also, the person would have needed to overpower Mollie, which leans towards a man. IMHO the only way a woman could have possibly been involved is if there was an accomplice. But something this fast and this untraceable had to have been a “lone wolf” and probably a serial killer type person...who are usually male. Have there even been any female serial killers? Ever?

The crazy women killers, when they do happen, usually get found out almost immediately because there is more of a fight and more blood and more of an evidence trail.
scary that there actually has been female serial killers. honestly, until the police have named a suspect, I wouldn't read too much into the pronouns being thrown around, but I do believe it is statistically more likely to be male.

"My son, Scott, he gave me a call about 5:15 p.m. saying, 'Mom, did you know Mollie didn't go to work?' At which point I said, 'I will be right home," Calderwood said.

After 26 threads of mostly productive discussion my sense is we have a few viable theories but I think its safe to say we honestly have many more questions than answers at this point nearly 1 month after the disappearance. However due to absence of substantive new information from LE to confirm any theories its impossible at this point to assess the likihood of any of these theories IMO. In the last 3 threads it seems like we are increasingly spinning our wheels around the same information we have now had for weeks. We have all been working so hard to put together a timeline of events around the disappearance of MT but we still can't figure out what her jogging route was and whether she ever made it back to BF house. Eyewitness reports have been less than useful in our efforts to put it mildly.

I decided to go back to the beginning to figure out the early hours and days of the local LE effort to find MT and in many respects its more than a bit confusing to say nothing of being quite upsetting. It is quite disheartening to learn of the lag time in this case being reported to local LE and the slow response from local LE being what it was and the fact that DCI seemed to be brought in not be local LE but friend of the family. I am not saying any of this with a sense of blame but rather just putting the timeline out there to make it clear that if MT was taken from Brooklyn via car or truck when LE now says that she disappeared that the perp would have had at least a 12 hr jump on LE. I am still baffled about the extent of FBI involvement in this case but I am not at all certain that even the FBI resources can overcome the sizable time and information gaps that sadly seem to be present in this case from its inception.

In trying to understand why we haven't advanced much from where we started I went back to when and how the family figured out MT was missing and what the early local LE response was to locate MT. I keep reading and re-reading about how the family and eventually LE figured out MT was missing and have to admit I'm a bit baffled. Early hours in any case are crucial and the more I tried to figure out what had happened in the early hours of this case the more confused I became. What is so disheartening about the first few days of the case is that it is during this period when the digital devices might still have been active and of great use to investigators and CCTV/Video would have been most available and accessible. As time went on in the early search it became clear that friends of MT were very concerned and that searches were initiated before local LE even seemed to have a plan to search. Locals wanted to help and turned up to do so in large numbers which was so encouraging. There was also a report of members of the family trying to access fitbit data to find MT and were told by local LE to stop. Local LE did initiate some searches using local citizens but these were called off and people were sent home. Why?

We talked endlessly about this early period of the disappearance in earlier threads but I still don't understand how a non-family member appeared to be the typical work 'emergency contact' to get the call that MT didn't show up for work at 8 am and that this message somehow filtered through the various people in the family to eventually get to Mom at 5:15 pm? Given the small staff of the camp and the fact that they were going on an outing where staff/camper ratios were important, I would have thought that they would have kept calling and calling to figure out where MT was that day especially as she didn't call in sick? Knowing what we know now MT might have already been missing for 12 hrs before the 8 am work start time was missed. Even with the manpower and resources of the FBI how is it possible to overcome a sizable information gap during such a crucial stage of the case?

I don't understand why MT Mom wasn't the designated emergency contact to get the call and why the employer didn't contact her directly much earlier in the day? At any camp I worked at while MT's age attendance of staff and campers was a very big deal and phone calls would be made immediately to figure out why people were not present and accounted for as security of camers and staff was important. The idea that almost an entire working day goes by before a person such as the Mom with the legal authority and ability to file a missing persons report on behalf of her daughter is something that doesn't make sense to me at all. By all accounts the camp called the BF to ask about MT. Did BF call Mom if he for some reason was contacted by camp? The BF had the disadvantage of being out of area due to work so maybe work left him a voicemail and he wasn't able to access it until mid-day or later? Other brother was supposedly at the movies with a cousin later in the afternoon when they received multiple texts/contacts via SM that MT wasn't at work. Did they call Mom at any point? Why did she just find out at 5:15-5:30 pm? Where did the family think that MT could possibly be if she wasn't at work? In everything I've read I didn't get the sense of much urgency on the issue of MT location until over 8 hrs after she was reported to not have shown up at work. Why? Local LE by all accounts didn't start thinking about what to do until the following day after local citizens had already begun to search. Why?

I am posting this because I believe that even with the vast resources of the FBI that very sadly too much time was lost at the front end of the investigation to ever find out what happened or to gather the necessary evidence and eyewitness accounts needed to locate MT or make a conviction. The nearly 2" of rain in the area also probably ruined the possibility of obtaining much forensic evidence outside if this was where she went missing. Early on I was very optimistic that the digital footprint would be large enough to locate MT. It seems this was not at all the case. I am also not completely convinced that people in Brooklyn will remember much 3 weeks after the fact and will come forward with solid recollections for the FBI to work with (Question the red dots on the map process and asking people to remember what they saw 3 weeks after the fact?). I have great respect for the LE professionals that have been working this case and I hope that they are able to find MT with the information that is available. But when I look at the timing of their involvement and what information seemed to be available to the DCI and FBI when they entered the case on their back feet I am sadly not at all optimistic we will see a break in this case anytime soon. I wish I shared the optimism of MT Dad and I do hope he has some information that we don't have because based on what we have I cannot share his optimism and this makes me extremely sad.
If I didn't show up to work I don't think my employer would call my emergency contact, at least not in the first 24 hours.

But who among those who knew she would be alone, i.e close to her in some way...would have a place ro “stash” her for a month? Can’t be many. The reward is not large in order for LE to entice specific tips...it just grew and grew on its own. And still seems to hinge on a safe return. If anyone known to her is not also “missing” then it does not bode well for a safe return...LE claims they searched the entire town. Though I have no idea what that means.

I don’t think she is in town. Please, LE, tell people in adjoining towns and coumties to search their lands. Imo she is out there somewhere waiting to be found...like Morgan and Holly imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sheepranch