Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharing a car with your brother sucks. All these people are working and she still wasn't able to get help with a minor 3k vehicle purchase for basic back and forth traveling? You can get a basic car on Craigslist for $2k.

So maybe she just got tired of needing to ask people for favors and thought about starting a relationship with someone more financially stable. Idk

Really?!? If you're living on campus, or in a close-by apartment, a car can be more trouble than it's worth. Summers can be tough, but if you have a bf with a vehicle, a brother who shares a car with you and doesn't need it all that much, you make do and cobble together a way to get around. A 2 k car and then insurance on something that may sit in Mom's driveway for a good part of the year may be a luxury.

Is anyone on here actually from Brooklyn? I feel like the town is being super quiet about this. Are they terrified, not concerned, what?

Usually a lifelong resident with true roots in the town would generate a massive outpouring in small town Iowa.

I agree with this. I was just reading about another missing persons case and after about 8 days there was already a massive outpouring, multiple candlelight vigils, hundreds of volunteers searching. You don't hear much of any of that in this case. Odd.

Every little thing has to be looked into.
My only hesitation with this listing is that the area it was found in has a park with walking trails right next to it. Someone losing their FitBit there is not out of the question at all.

That being said, I hope someone submitted this for it to be checked out.
Odds are against it being hers. Speaking of Fitbits, I last charged mine on Sunday - I've been trying to see how long the battery lasts, and it's still only orange. IF Mollie's could be recovered, there might be some good data on it. But it is probably wherever she is.

Someone posted that Mollie had to be at work very early.. 6- 6:30
I have no idea, just read it here.

But if that is the case, would the text from her brother at 7:30 be rather too late to see about her taking the car to work?

Or him driving her?

From what I have gathered, from MSM and above posts, her boss at the summer camp said she was due at 8:00 a.m. (I think that the day care facility opened as early as 6/6:30 a.m. to receive clients). The brother's post at 7:30 makes sense, in that MT had to be at work in half an hour and had not yet picked up the car. Previously, when the boyfriend was home, MT would use DJ's truck to commute to work, so she did not need the car every day. MT is considered to be a dependable, responsible young adult. To her brother, at that point in time, this meant that she had a ride to work; so not his circus, not his monkeys'. If MT needed a ride to work, she would call. This WAS a community that felt it had no reason to lock its doors. The brother had no reason, in his cultural milieu/experience to be concerned about MT's safety.

Education gives us knowledge, experience gives us wisdom. Unfortunately, this is the kind of experience that will give a young man a nagging feeling in his gut, for the rest of his life, whenever a loved one doesn't return a call!

Last edited:
Is anyone on here actually from Brooklyn? I feel like the town is being super quiet about this. Are they terrified, not concerned, what?

Usually a lifelong resident with true roots in the town would generate a massive outpouring in small town Iowa.

I live about two hours away, and I don't feel like they're being quiet about it at all. Family and community members have been at the fair passing out flyers all week, volunteers have been travelling all over SE Iowa and beyond putting up flyers, Facebook feeds are blowing up. The outpouring has been tremendous, maybe the national media outlets just aren't conveying that.

Question for anyone who knows:

What is the range for most home mobile hotspot units? Can they be accessed from outdoors by very far? This is in regards to the reference I saw somewhere that LE asked MT's mother if she was indoors at 9:45pm.
look in your wifi list on your computer or phone, you should be able to see other networks at least in some places, any you can see if you had the code you should be able to connect to, connected well enough to use and connected well enough to leave a digital mark might be different. how far away from a known wifi hotspot can you see it? i also think brand of phone and device will play a part in how far away. like i have a tablet that can connect to my network almost twice as far away as my phone can. I think this potential could be a part, say she was on way to moms and she got close enough her phone latched on to moms wifi, but didn't get close enough for mom to see. but that would just say her device got close enough. moo

With all due respect families handle things differently. My 83 year old mother, may God rest her precious soul, was extremely concerned if I didn’t call at the time she expected me to arrive at our home 6 hours away. However, I don’t find it unusual, concerning or suspicious that MT’s mom and brother did not followup with her. Mom works and is the mother of three young adults. Everyone does things their own way.
It has never been stated that Mollie was supposed to pick up the car! Her brother texted her in the morning asking if " she still needed a ride to work. " when he got up and realized that she hadn't texted and that car was still there he sent this. When she didn't respond he assumed she had gotten a ride. There were other ways she got to work. Obviously Daltons truck was not there and for all we know they had a conversation the day before ( like when he dropped her off), and she may have said, I may have a ride, I'll let you know. He assumed the night before she must have found a ride since she hadn't contacted him, ( maybe) and probably didn't think anything of it until he got up and realized she had never contacted him
. The real question I, if someone else was picking her up, why didn't they tell anyone Mollie wasn't there? I believe that she WAS planning on her brother picking her up, and because she went missing didn't have a chance to confirm the arrangements..... just adding this to your response, jazzy, in response to post you responded to. ( couldn't find it)

(Edit as no header appeared) This post sent in response to opine that "BCI" agents were only this week getting around to interviewing homes (and whatever else) in area around Brooklyn car wash.

What makes you think that this was the first time DCI knocked on those same doors? New info, new questions, time for a re-canvas of the area. Also, not everyone may be home the first time you come through.

Last edited:
I am not surprised MT did not have a car of her own. As we know, she was using other people's vehicles/getting rides at home. On campus, walking and running is an option if you can manage it. There is decent bus service, both city and University. And mopeds are available for purchase or rent.

Mollie Tibbetts' father says Pence meeting was 'touching' as 200 new tips pour in

"The father of missing college student Mollie Tibbetts says the meeting he, his sons and Mollie's boyfriend had Wednesday with Vice President Pence was very “touching” and “genuine,” and Pence came across as “just another father that was just hurt and bewildered by Mollie’s story.”"

And:

"The father also told Fox News he is planning to return home to California this weekend, a month after Tibbetts disappeared."

Did anyone see that KCCI (in Des Moines) is reporting that authorities will hold a news conference at 4pm central time to provide a ‘significant update’ on the Jake Wilson case? He is the 16 year old boy that went missing four months ago from a town about 50 miles north of Brooklyn.

With all the searching for MT, who knows what else will turn up. Today, on Memphis local news, there is report of a dismembered body found in Arkansas. No other details given.

As I have quoted before, “Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.”

If I see my sister at 5:30 pm and she doesn't text me in the evening and I know she has to work all day the next day, I wouldn't be surprised to not receive a text until the next evening. Same thing if it were my friend or even my boyfriend (especially if I saw that snap at 10pm) If it were my daughter and she didn't say 'I'll be over after my jog' instead of just 'ok'. I wouldn't think she necessarily thought brats were a great idea that night. I may think 'huh, I thought she was coming' but if it's basically a standing invite I'm not sure I'd dwell on it. (Also, no one knows what time the mom leaves for work, maybe before Mollie, so if the car was still there in the morning why would that matter?)
Now, if all her family and friends got together at say 11pm and said - no one has heard from Mollie since 7:30 that MAY throw up red flags. Barring that, isn't that just a typical evening? They all thought she was going to work at 6:30 then the fair - I bet no one expected to hear from her necessarily.
So it's not shocking that no one heard from her in my opinion. Until work called DJ around noon?
Yes, I agree. She is a grown woman, not a teenager, and things happen, and I don't find it all unusual that she didn't communicate with others besides possibly DJ, after 7:30. She had homework to do, had work the next day, and one could assume she went to bed early.

look in your wifi list on your computer or phone, you should be able to see other networks at least in some places, any you can see if you had the code you should be able to connect to, connected well enough to use and connected well enough to leave a digital mark might be different. how far away from a known wifi hotspot can you see it? i also think brand of phone and device will play a part in how far away. like i have a tablet that can connect to my network almost twice as far away as my phone can. I think this potential could be a part, say she was on way to moms and she got close enough her phone latched on to moms wifi, but didn't get close enough for mom to see. but that would just say her device got close enough. moo

I'm wondering about the pig farm. If somebody brought MT to that property, outdoors away from the house (maybe with WC inside none the wiser), could her phone have picked up a connection from the wifi/hotspot there? So much search effort at that farm, which is also easily accessible via the V21 route possibly taken...

I am not surprised MT did not have a car of her own. As we know, she was using other people's vehicles/getting rides at home. On campus, walking and running is an option if you can manage it. There is decent bus service, both city and University. And mopeds are available for purchase or rent.
What I do find odd is that three other members of the household were gone and none of them could have left a vehicle for her for emergencies. Seems like two of them could have driven together or with there being a construction business there wasn’t an extra vehicle. I hope there wasn’t a vehicle in that garage she didn’t have access to. My husband has never left me without a vehicle and we haven’t our son. He would even ride to work in our early days with someone else to leave a car at home for us for emergencies. I guess they are just young. And my husband has always liked the look of vehicles in the driveway when he has been out of town.

Actually, her life did not really need a vehicle -- she was a runner/strong walker in a tiny town and on a college campus. Vehicles are expensive with upkeep and insurance. She had other things she needed/wanted more.
Also her boyfriend was usually home with his truck, so I doubt it was ever a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard