Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
On whether Mollie could be mistaken for a younger girl running...

I do think she could have been mistaken for a younger girl. I am taller than Mollie, but have a thin build. When I was Mollie’s age, even though I had developed into a woman, people sometimes thought I was a younger teen...which is believable bc teens hit puberty earlier now. And when a woman wears a sports top, the elastic does somewhat disguise curves.

A young college aged woman who is only 5’ 2” and wearing a sports top could be mistaken for someone younger in my opinion.

I think taking MT from the house, when it was not yet dark would seem foolish. Too many opportunities for the perp's vehicle to be spotted there by a passing car, neighbor or another jogger/walker. Sunset was not until 8:40 PM with twilight at 9:13 PM.
Very good thinking about taking her from the house for sure! Because someone might have noticed, unless like was said early on....it was someone known.

I keep reading posts where people mention that Mollie was at the house alone that evening.

That fact had relevance back when it looked like she had made it home from the jog.

It now appears that she did not make it back from the jog. If she was abducted on her run, it would not have made any difference if other people had been at the house. If she was a little late, they would have assumed that she was taking a little extra time on her run, which probably wouldn't have been surprising considering the heat. They might even have assumed that she had gone over to her mother's house.

The abductor didn't need more than a few minutes to get Mollie into his vehicle and, presumably, out of town. If the alarm had been raised after an hour instead of after a day, that would not have made any difference.

Now that we know that Molly was likely abducted during her run, the odds are that this was a sexually motivated abduction by a stranger with no knowledge of Molly's situation.

I don’t know if he knew the house was empty or not. I could go either way. The relevance is that if he knew there was no 1 else at home, he would know if he took her that there would be no 1 to report the abduction or come looking for her until he was long gone.

I think taking MT from the house, when it was not yet dark would seem foolish. Too many opportunities for the perp's vehicle to be spotted there by a passing car, neighbor or another jogger/walker. Sunset was not until 8:40 PM with twilight at 9:13 PM.

more risky than grabbing somebody off the street in broad daylight? I would think that would be more risky than somebody noticing a car parked in a driveway? hmm interesting way of looking at it

On whether Mollie could be mistaken for a younger girl running...

I do think she could have been mistaken for a younger girl. I am taller than Mollie, but have a thin build. When I was Mollie’s age, even though I had developed into a woman, people sometimes thought I was a younger teen...which is believable bc teens hit puberty earlier now. And when a woman wears a sports top, the elastic does somewhat disguise curves.

A young college aged woman who is only 5’ 2” and wearing a sports top could be mistaken for someone younger in my opinion.
Although I don’t think Mollie was abducted while running, it is totally possible that Mollie could be mistaken for somebody younger. Much younger. And that thought has crossed my mind more than once. At 5’2” Mollie is 4 inches shorter than my 11 year old.

more risky than grabbing somebody off the street in broad daylight? I would think that would be more risky than somebody noticing a car parked in a driveway? hmm interesting way of looking at it

It depends if he grabbed her on a portion of street that was all fields and mostly out of view of houses.

I live in the country and occasionally hear noise outside. Sometimes it’s farm equipment, sometimes it’s neighbor kids yelling and playing around, sometimes it’s geese or wild turkeys or dogs or other animals that have gotten worked up, sometimes it’s a neighbor doing target practice, sometimes it is someone setting off fireworks.
The point is that multiple times per week, I hear noises where I am not quite sure what caused them. Often times, I look to see if everything is all right, but if I am right in the middle of something, it’s easy to dismiss noise as nothing without checking.

If MT was grabbed in front of a stretch of corn and she yelled, but that yell was only faint bc she was so far away from the nearest house (where people may or may not have even been home to hear it), I think a perp’s odds of getting away with it are better on the country road than at her house.

I keep reading posts where people mention that Mollie was at the house alone that evening.

That fact had relevance back when it looked like she had made it home from the jog.

It now appears that she did not make it back from the jog. If she was abducted on her run, it would not have made any difference if other people had been at the house. If she was a little late, they would have assumed that she was taking a little extra time on her run, which probably wouldn't have been surprising considering the heat. They might even have assumed that she had gone over to her mother's house.

The abductor didn't need more than a few minutes to get Mollie into his vehicle and, presumably, out of town. If the alarm had been raised after an hour instead of after a day, that would not have made any difference.

Now that we know that Molly was likely abducted during her run, the odds are that this was a sexually motivated abduction by a stranger with no knowledge of Molly's situation.

At this point, this is the only situation that makes sense to me as well. Just follows the MO in similar situations (women disappearing on jogs). I think some psychopath got lucky and spotted her on a run and grabbed her without anyone seeing. The element of surprise on his side if she was listening to music, which it sounds like she was. It's just so discouraging that this case is still open and we don't have anymore info:(

All MOO

I keep thinking about this upcoming wedding. My heart is breaking that such a joyous occasion will have such a cloud hanging. I can’t imagine the mixed emotions the Jack family must feel over it.

I believe they canceled it a few weeks ago. But yes, as the date they were supposed to get married approaches, I'm sure it's very sad and distressing.

But did he have to work the next day?
These ARE good questions for locals to consider. I have read other cases where a perp called off work the day or two after an abduction or they showed up to work with a scratch etc. on their face.

If there is a perp in this case, he may live outside the area of course. But as a starting point: there are only 1,500 people in Brooklyn, IA. And a smaller segment of those are working adults. I wonder how long it would take LE to contact employers and find out who wasn’t at work the next day.

The wedding was scheduled for Aug. 2nd and has been postponed. I haven't seen anything to indicate they've rescheduled yet.

She also said Jack's brother is scheduled to get married in the Dominican Republic on August 2. Tibbetts had been planning to go with Jack to the wedding and she is close to the bride and groom, her mom said.

The latest on missing college student Mollie Tibbetts

Last edited:
I brought the coffee, who brought the croissants? :)

But seriously, I keep rolling around in my head why wednesday and why Mollie. Someone's window of opportunity was wednesday. Most people work during the week, so what kind of job would give someone a middle of the week off? If this is someone from a neighboring town, what kinds of activities are occurring? Could it have been someone that was a vendor for the flag thing? Someone who came into town regularly? And how did Mollie fit in to this? Did she volunteer somewhere in a neighboring town or in her own town that would have gotten the attention of someone?
For me, it always comes back to what LE said about unusual activity. Someone wasn't home during the time Mollie was jogging that night. I keep thinking that in a small town, the list of people who could have done this must be small. I really love your way of approaching this by thinking who had the opportunity in the middle of the week. Is someone in denial or covering for that person? Or has a family member or friend of that person already entered the tip in Mollie's website?

Last edited:
Although I don’t think Mollie was abducted while running, it is totally possible that Mollie could be mistaken for somebody younger. Much younger. And that thought has crossed my mind more than once. At 5’2” Mollie is 4 inches shorter than my 11 year old.

Many women are 5’2 inc myself and my sisters. In jogging attire Molie certainly appeared as a grown woman imo. I am not getting a childlike or young teen vibe at all from her pics but jmo.

I also believe a local may have been gone for only an hour or so in total, if he grabbed Mollie, drove a ways out of town and drove back. His absence may not even have been noticed, even if he did not live alone. It does not really take very long...especially if this was a spur of the moment crime, not some experienced serial killer with a list of rituals etc. imo he would want to be “finished” ASAP.

Hi Sharon, I would be curious as to what theory you think best explains her disappearance since you drove the area and noted you didn’t think she was taken on her jog. Appreciate the video!

The wedding was scheduled for Aug. 2nd and has been postponed. I haven't seen anything to indicate they've rescheduled yet.

The latest on missing college student Mollie Tibbetts
I believe it was rescheduled for the 25th, which is only 5 days away. Absolutely heartbreaking stuff. We’ve hit that point in the investigation, where people have to keep moving on with their lives. College, work, marriage etc... when someone heart breaks, in this case a whole communities heart, the world doesn’t stop turning. I hope a resolution comes soon.

I believe it was rescheduled for the 25th, which is only 5 days away. Absolutely heartbreaking stuff. We’ve hit that point in the investigation, where people have to keep moving on with their lives. College, work, marriage etc... when someone heart breaks, in this case a whole communities heart, the world doesn’t stop turning. I hope a resolution comes soon.
No their wedding reception for those that couldn’t go to the original wedding in the Caribbean was set for the end of August but it doesn’t seem likely that they will proceed with it as they cancelled the actual wedding.

Does anyone think she could have jogged behind the car wash and been taken there. There doesn't seem to be any cameras in the back only in the front and on the side. There is a road behind it because I see a stop sign.

Attachments

• 3681DB36-74D6-4E66-9F1C-6E480CE903CC.png
    3681DB36-74D6-4E66-9F1C-6E480CE903CC.png
    286 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I brought the coffee, who brought the croissants? :)

But seriously, I keep rolling around in my head why wednesday and why Mollie. Someone's window of opportunity was wednesday. Most people work during the week, so what kind of job would give someone a middle of the week off? If this is someone from a neighboring town, what kinds of activities are occurring? Could it have been someone that was a vendor for the flag thing? Someone who came into town regularly? And how did Mollie fit in to this? Did she volunteer somewhere in a neighboring town or in her own town that would have gotten the attention of someone?
You may be onto something here..but again no one knows if there were missed opportunities the night before, or Monday, or any other day, especially if it was random and a crime of opportunity, i.e. Mollie was in the wrong place at the wrong time. However, the commonality of those who are employed and have Wednesdays free would be the medical community. Many doctors, dentists (and well as their staff) don't work and supposedly "play golf" on Wednesdays. jmo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member