Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
'A tragic end' to Mollie Tibbetts case: How Iowa jogger's killing was solved

Slain jogger Mollie Tibbetts and her alleged killer lived in the same rural Iowa town but it’s unclear whether they knew each other, investigators say.

Either way, "there was something that drew him to her," Mitch Mortvedt of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation told ABC News Wednesday.

"Mollie was a sweet girl," added Katie Murphy, principal at the Corpus Christi School where Tibbetts was a former student. "The best gift we can give is to be a little like Mollie today."
BBM
There is a picture of his girlfriend and she resembles Mollie in many ways. I don't know if that is indicative of anything - whether he likes the small, long dark haired girls, or if she just happened to be his split decision. But it makes me want to look and see if there are other unsolved murders/missing where the victims have those traits. I don't believe this was his first rodeo. JMO

I am sorry but I don't follow ?? If he was afraid of deportation -

1 - why commit a crime?
2 - why stay in the community where you committed a crime?

NOPE - for me he appears to be more ARROGANT than FEARFUL. The one who was afraid was MOLLIE!
Arrogance may very well be a trait of his, but I'm just wondering if her threat about calling the police did indeed trigger panic, as he said himself. There's nobody here that doubt's MT's fear. It's sickening.

He had a month, he could have gone back to Mexico. He didn't think they would find him because. as we know, sociopaths think they are smarter than everyone else.
It's entirely possible the perp is a sociopath - I don't discount that at all.

But I think he didn't leave town because he didn't think he had to. He was hoping that just by hunkering down, everything would just go away. And he might have been right....except for that video tape.

jmo

You are right. However, for MT calling 911 would have likely made no difference in the outcome for her. She was in a rural area with thin spread State and County LE. I have lived in "the country", and response times can be long. You have to be able to fend for yourself!

The take away for anyone is don't threaten, but warn (which CR claims she did - "leave me alone" or words to that effect) and be prepared to defend yourself. Have a defensive measure with you, if only pepper or bear spray (I like bear spray, as it paints them orange and sprays a good way). This might have given MT a fighting chance against a determined, physically fit assailant. Also, know how to use the quick 911 feature on your cellphone, and call 911 for help when you can. But first scream and resist, flee to safety if possible, and call for help.

YES! It is so important that women are prepared to defend themselves. Even in small town USA. My daughter, who is so much like Mollie, carries pepper spray. I wanted her to get her concealed carry license (bc of her job) but she has to be 21... :/ This world is too evil for a young woman to ever stop being vigilant.

Just two things:

We need to remember he's had 5 weeks to think about 'a story' for the 'when I get caught; what will I say to LE'. He's probably thought about 'the story' every single day for the last 5 weeks; that might explain why he has been co-operative with LE and his general calmness; I wonder if he has researched 'blacking out'.
Do 'Rage Blackouts' Actually Exist?

The other is; some of the guys here have plotted on maps Mollies running route; even if there were 6 / 7 routes all LE had to do was visit the houses (it's not as if there were 1000's of houses) on those routes to ask for CCTV.

Yes he had 5 weeks to hightail it back to Mexico but he did not think he was going to get caught so why leave the promised land?
I bet he never thought about camera's.

Here's my question before I eat my brunch! - How else is LE suppose to have solved this crime? I know it is concerned that the only reason Cristian was caught is because of the cameras and he was not even looked at before. But realistically what is LE supposed to do without blowing their entire budget/resources in one month? This is me genuinely asking, because I don't know, maybe there is a real answer. But they are in a place with barely any people, barely any cameras, tons and tons of places for people to be all alone, to hide, etc. Just wondering.
I think that VP Mike Pence possibly promised to keep feds on this when he met with Mr. Tibbetts and DJ on his plane.

Spot on I reckon. I dont think he was cruising around for a potential victim, I think he recognised Mollie and started hitting on her, and then attacked when she kept rejecting him. Perhaps when she told him she was calling the police she may have even physically pushed him away, which led to his violent 'black out' outburst. Basically a crime of passion, this would be the Occam's razor imo.

I agree WS is not the correct forum. But it needs discussion to sort the problem out. Just not here. And I have really come to appreciate the respectfulness of the fine posters here. Especially when we come to the table with differing thoughts and opinions.

I have had the pleasure of a two way nice mannerful conversation with some pretty intelligent people. In the end we may differ on opinions as to how specifically an incident happened, but we seem to end up with the same feelings. We need to understand some of these most horrific crimes. To the point where we even have great solutions to help them from happening again, or taking steps to protect those closest to us.

We really don't know. We have the five points of interest, and we know that one of those points of interest is close to 1900 385 Ave (which is mentioned in the warrant).

These updated maps are the best I can figure out at this time. I don't understand the meaning of 1900 385Ave if the video footage of the suspect chasing and attempting to abduct Mollie is at Boundary/Middle. With all the directions that she could run, why would she run along a road out of Brooklyn?
200 (V21) is a route that goes north to Rt6. Depending on how long her run was she could have taken that, hung a left on 6 and be at her moms in a few minutes.

Arrogance may very well be a trait of his, but I'm just wondering if her threat about calling the police did indeed trigger panic, as he said himself. There's nobody here that doubt's MT's fear. It's sickening.
I guess it never occurred to him if he did what he did as she ran along that she would even consider calling 9-11. But isn't that Criminal 101? Wait, the person I bother may call the po-leece. Maybe I'll plan for that scenario.

I know the news is still fresh and feelings are tender, but I do wonder about the logistics of the abduction and murder.

At the moment, I'm thinking he did get out of the car and physically attacked her. He then put her in the trunk. At this point, I'm wondering if she was alive at that point? Or did he murder her on the road - that seems incredibly risky.

He took her to the cornfield and removed her from the trunk. I'm wondering if her murdered her at the cornfield, not at the site of abduction.

My other question is about the car wash. I'm assuming LE were interested in the car wash because they noticed his car on video there??

jmo
IMO - If he got out of the car, and attacked her, he would likely have to set her down to open the trunk - now if he planned it (taking her to a secondary location) he would likely have the trunk open and ready. In that case, I am guessing there is some truth to his statement about seeing blood and perhaps he had a weapon (lug wrench or something similar) to hit her with to cause the bleeding on her head. In that case, she would be disoriented, dizzy or unconscious and he could have his hands free to open the trunk by setting her down. I think he took her to the cornfield while still alive. I hope though that she was knocked out and never knew what hit her. RIP poor Mollie

Yes, I agree that part is a general description of what likely happened. I was only referring to the story of "blacking out" and not remembering the actual murder. My adrenaline was pretty high last night and my mind kept screaming KILLER! LIAR! and I was so angry some of my posts weren't clear. I think the details ( EXCEPT for the black out story, that LE gave us are pretty close to what happened and the WORST of what occurred is what he is not being truthful about. And I also believe much of it was coaxed out of him as opposed to him offering the details willingly. You can imagine how it goes, the detective may say, "so what did you do when she threatened to call police? That must have made you pretty ANGRY. After all, you only wanted to jog beside her and make FRIENDS! Were you kind of upset about that?" You know how it goes. But yes, thank you for your post, as usual you said it much better than I ever could!!!

It doesn't matter if it is a damned lie, as long as it is damming enough to send him away for life without parole!

If she saw him coming, she would’ve snapped a picture.

If he admits to laying in wait, jumping / tackling her, then he admits to the premeditation and motivation.

In my opinion, she never saw him coming.

May be something the Prosecution can use to debunk his story?

I think the word "seasonal" was used by the DM and shouldn't necesarily be taken as fact.

Republican family which hired Mollie Tibbetts' alleged killer insist he passed background check | Daily Mail Online
Rivera told police he had seen her in the area before. She is friends on Facebook with the mother of his daughter but it is not clear if he and Mollie knew each other. Rivera was doing seasonal work for a local dairy farm in Brooklyn. He lived with a number of other migrant workers on a secluded farmhouse in Brooklyn owned by their employer.

Law enforcement arrived at the property at around 3 pm Monday afternoon according to a neighbor. FBI agents were still searching the house and a number of nearby trailers on Tuesday afternoon. Neighbors said the building housed a ‘revolving door’ of hired migrant workers but that they had never caused any problems.

Workers associated with the farm told DailyMail.com that they barely knew Rivera but confirmed that he lived there with a girlfriend named Iris Monarrez and their baby. They said Iris had gone to stay with her mother after Rivera was arrested in Mollie’s murder.

FBI agents attended another nearby property belonging to the farm overnight Monday to quiz Rivera’s co-workers, most of whom claim only to understand Spanish. ‘There was a panic when they arrived because they thought at first that it was ICE launching a raid,’ a local source told DailyMail.com. ‘A lot of these people arrive with forged documents. But it turned it was the FBI and it was about Mollie.’

Last edited:
and I don’t think he was under the presence of drugs. He almost got away with this with the exception of AM (Amazing) Farmer’s video. He was meticulous. Very focused. Drug use would have made this much more messy. It makes me feel his has done this before but with a much more oppressed population. We also have a saying in the medical field: there is a big difference in blacking out and seeing red.

What makes you think that Mollie chose to run East on 385 Ave? Isn't it equally possible that she was abducted at Middle and Boundary, pulled into the car, and that something else happened at 1900 385 Ave?
It's possible. CR just doesn't strike me as the type who would go for an abduction first before attempting to win over a girl. He's not a bad looking guy and isn't unpopular with ladies apparently, though that wouldn't stop your typical serial killer, but the fact that he confessed at all and the fact that he's probably uneducated (zero required education in the US for his entering age) / low IQ, guys like this can hit on girls and be successful, so to me there was something that triggered him to make him see red with rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther