IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of my cousin Vinny and the need to dress professionally lol

LOL
I first could not remember what they were called until I remembered "Novelty Ties". One of my prior companies had strict rules about them.

When you google "Novelty Ties" look up in top right hand corner. A similar tie to what the laywer had on is right there. LOL

His lawyer said he had a 8th grade education; so I think is English is not too shabby; but using a translator at this stage isn't too shabby for the defense case.
Don't all courts require interpreters if English is not your primary language? If he has the court appointed interpreter and the additional private contracted interpreter who is likely with law firm of private attorney? When I had a court case the individual parent/s did have court appointed interpreters and private contracted interpreters through their private attorneys. Several professionals all requesting documents, case notes, assessments as part of the case before the court. The court had attorneys and interpreters for each of the children (different ages different levels of understanding) and the judge had appointed CASA court appointed special advocate= judges right arm representing each of the children's needs. Several agencies engaged and involved at all hearings. It's family court but I wouldn't think criminal court would operate much differently. Why all these people were necessary? I wondered sometimes like who is this and who is that and why can't we just have one not three to deal with. I resolved that no matter what the whole process was open, everyone's legal rights were addressed and in the primary language of each individual in the family case.

I wouldn't have liked that tie if one of prosecution wore it either nor would I have liked for any of them to wear a Mexican flag tie. I thought it was disrespectful to the parties involved. He wore it to send a message, not exactly sure what the message is yet. All my opinion
Thanks for the reply!

From what I've read, when first talking with LE, people often want to unburden themselves and/or get "credit" for their work. However, once the enormity of the situation begins to dawn on them, they want to start protecting themselves.

Answering your reservations, one by one:
* he refused an appointed attorney -- he already had an attorney, did not need one appointed by the court which he might not trust;

*didn't speak any English in the arraignment, not even yes and no -- following orders from his attorney now that he has realized he can go to prison for the rest of his life;

*So I don't see him jogging beside her having a conversation as there would have been a language barrier. -- He has been in the country for years. His GF and Mollie were on the track team together. I think it's likely he knew enough English to get by, plus we have no idea how much Spanish Mollie might have been capable of.

* Maybe this guy found the body on a farm he worked on and reported it? -- Possible, I suppose. But then there would have to be corruption to the highest level of the justice system, not just in that single Iowa County, but across the State in into the FBI to believe that they would set up a farm worker for this. Sorry, I find that scenario much less believable.

*Does this guy even know what the police report says? -- He had an attorney and two translators in court with him. Yep, I'm pretty confident they're making sure he knows what's happening, and that's why he's suddenly not talking. Not that he doesn't understand, but that now he's come down from the high of unburdening himself, he understands only too well.

The Dairy farm CR worked at is just outside of Brooklyn. He did not work for or on a corn growing operation. (Per MSM and employer).The corn field where MT was found is 12 miles away from where CR worked. So, no, CR did not find the body and was then framed by LE after leading them to it!

It is surprising, especially the odor. Would a bunch of cornstalks cover it up? Doesn't seem likely.

Cornfields don't have an odor. I'm guessing a person would need to be within about 50 yards or less depending on the wind direction to smell a decomposing body out in the open air. Animals can smell from a much further distance.

WATCH: Retracing Steps of Mollie Tibbetts on Street Where She Was Last Seen Alive

On "Fox & Friends" Thursday, former homicide investigator Ted Williams retraced the steps of Mollie Tibbetts from the early-evening jog during which she was fatally attacked.

Williams showed viewers the Brooklyn, Iowa, neighborhood where the 20-year-old University of Iowa was last seen alive.

Video at link

Wow how did no one see/hear what was going on. There was plenty of houses around there. It was also was also only 7 something pm.

Just to clarify :

1900 block of 385th Ave

Suspect Cristhian Bahena Rivera allegedly abducted Mollie Tibbetts from this location on July 18, sometime between 7:45 p.m and 8:28 p.m., police said.

460th Ave. near Highway 21

A rural road at this intersection was closed on Tuesday morning. A body law enforcement believes is Mollie Tibbetts was found in this area.

These locations are roughly 10 miles apart from each other.
Thank you so much for making that clear. Speaking of the area of the abduction, I wonder if that last witness really did see her around 8:00 pm. It gives me the chills thinking that was the time the perp was stalking her in his car, and only moments before she was assaulted and brutally murdered!!

"Tibbetts clothing was also found at the scene." <--This implies the clothes were found separate from the body. Is it a fact that clothing was found at the scene? Yes. Does it mean the clothes weren't on the body? No.

But then look at this:
Man leads police to body, faces murder charge in Mollie Tibbetts case - CNN

"A body, dressed in Tibbetts' clothing, was covered in corn leaves." <--Was there a body? Yes. Was it dressed in clothing? Yes.

More bodies will turn up if it wasn't his first time. And more victims of assault/harassment will appear if this wasn't the first time.

From the arrest warrant, clothing was found at the scene where the body was located:

"Based on the interview with Rivera, the clothing found at the scene where the body was located ..."

Read the criminal complaint, arrest warrant in the Mollie Tibbetts case

I think there was quite a bit of storming at that time. The smell would only be noticeable if you were out of your car and near her body, which being on a remote road in the field I doubt you would even notice.

It is also fertilizing time, so that smell would greatly mask this one.

And many people fertilize with manure......not a pleasant smell.

I actually do not get it either. I have seen many American flag ties. I am thinking it is because the lawyer wanted to show that this was America and he would get defended as a non citizen? IDK.
Thank you for your reply!

For anyone wondering about if CR was driving

In the arrest warrant it clearly states:

He pursued her in his vehicle

He parked the the vehicle to get out and run next to her

He woke up at an intersection, made a u-turn and drove a field

Read the criminal complaint, arrest warrant in the Mollie Tibbetts case
From the mouth of a dangerous predator. Be reminded the only credible part is that he was driving a known vehicle near Mollie (which LE confirmed on video). A predator is all about control, and LE is not excluded. MOO

I started to feel like we had big news in comming on this case a few hours before we all found out.
I mentioned it on here but really it was of no help.
I've used my intuition well in the past but I need improve. I prefer to look at the known facts and piece the puzzle probably like you.
If you're of the sensitive type remember it's not a bad thing as you may be able to feel / sense things others can't.
I like the idea of this group because we each have different strengths and can bring different angles into a case like this.
The outcome is tragic but I am thankful to L E for getting another predator off the street.

Exactly. Across from my parents is a large dairy operation. Around this time of year, or a bit later, they spread manure. The smell is awful for the week...and you really cant smell much else.

It is surprising, especially the odor. Would a bunch of cornstalks cover it up? Doesn't seem likely.
Caution: you may find this too gross and graphic. No links to anything scientific, just firsthand experience.

I have no experience around dead human bodies, just much experience around dead livestock and wildlife in varying degrees of decomposition in this setting. It may or may not be the same. For the most part there wouldn’t be a stench you could detect unless you were right up close. Generally a cow or such will bloat up over the course of a few days and often just explode wide open - that is a horrible smell, but it’s only there for a short time. That really only happens when the body is in direct sunlight. Otherwise there’s just a liquification process where everything just seeps into the soil. Unless the body is disturbed, I would suspect you’d need to be very close to notice a terrible smell.

Don't all courts require interpreters if English is not your primary language? If he has the court appointed interpreter and the additional private contracted interpreter who is likely with law firm of private attorney? When I had a court case the individual parent/s did have court appointed interpreters and private contracted interpreters through their private attorneys. Several professionals all requesting documents, case notes, assessments as part of the case before the court. The court had attorneys and interpreters for each of the children (different ages different levels of understanding) and the judge had appointed CASA court appointed special advocate= judges right arm representing each of the children's needs. Several agencies engaged and involved at all hearings. It's family court but I wouldn't think criminal court would operate much differently. Why all these people were necessary? I wondered sometimes like who is this and who is that and why can't we just have one not three to deal with. I resolved that no matter what the whole process was open, everyone's legal rights were addressed and in the primary language of each individual in the family case.
It's a primary language that sets it in motion. My first language is French, when I was witness in a trial they provided me with an interpreter. Clearly I speak English, and have a wonderful command of the language, and I've forgotten more French than I knew. But because for the first 7 years of my life I spoke French they were required to provide an interpreter for me.

Even if the confession is inadmissible, he was the last person to see her on camera and brought LE to her concealed body. It doesn't really take a legal genius to make an argument that he's responsible.

The best I think you can do in this situation is try to create reasonable doubt whether it was intentional or an accident and get the charges down from first degree murder. This is not a sympathetic defendant, and if there is DNA evidence on the body or they get that confession in he's done. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amikman