IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like the undercurrent here is that the abduction was brazen. It was done during the day in a residential neighborhood. It had to be swift, planned and it makes you wonder how much practice he had in doing this. It's like he was looking for the better high by making it more difficult, instead of at night on a deserted stretch of road he did it during the day in a residential neighborhood. That made it a challenge for him.

Yes. The really interesting part is the video has him driving by 2 or 3 times. So clearly, he was passing her and making sure she was alone and secluded.

This is a common tactic. I've been followed countless times. The most memorable I was walking home from work at midnight downtown Ottawa towards my little subdivision. A car slowed and passed me, made a right and left. A few minutes later, the same car slowed, passed me and made a right. The third time it happened, after the car turned I ran down a street not mine and hid. I watched through the back yard and saw the car slow right down again, stop for a minute then speed off. No doubt they were going to try and grab me.

Not if you read the article linked above from the Daily Mail - he was conversing with a group of local kids. I do not assume they were all speaking Spanish. It is not unusual Spanish speakers who are fluent in English to not speak in English if it suits their purpose.

I can converse in German pretty well, but there is no way I could understand everything in a German court of law. Not providing an interpreter for non-native English speaking defendants would be a disservice to our judicial system.

I think he done it during the day light hours because he wanted HER not just anyone and she didn't run during the dark hours.
Couldnt find your post, mom24, but you may be right.

Yes. The really interesting part is the video has him driving by 2 or 3 times. So clearly, he was passing her and making sure she was alone and secluded.
Snipped

I wonder if he said anything to her as he circled around? Perhaps he catcalled and that's when she told him to leave her alone or she would call the police??

jmo, pondering aloud

I, for one, am very interested in who is paying for his lawyer. I haven't seen that answered yet. I'm not sure why the question bothers some people.

He declined the court appointed one. So would he have retained is own after being questioned by LE?
Or did a publicity-hungry, political-candidate attorney offer his services?

Court records are in writing. I don't think the lawyer's poor taste in clothing will be reflected. That's jmo.

I'm not entirely convinced this particular lawyer will be the one to represent him as the case goes on. I can't predict that, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a change.

jmo

IMO, immigrant rights groups will come forward with money and a better legal team before this goes to trial. I've personally seen money from an English pro-life/anti-death penalty group used to bring in a dream team for a defense in a Mississippi death penalty case.

What happens, if the Feds threaten to go forward with a death penalty case to give Iowa the leverage to quickly end this with a plea deal for life without parole?

This sounds insane to me. I’m 6’0” and I guess I’m considered “tall” although I don’t think I feel all that tall. And I’m only 6 inches taller than somebody who would a complex about how short he is? I don’t buy it.
its totally true LOL I had a stepfather who has "LMS" he is a super bully and instigator and Attorney and he knows he has it and openly admits official Napoleon Syndrome bigtime believe me it exists!

I wouldn't have liked that tie if one of prosecution wore it either nor would I have liked for any of them to wear a Mexican flag tie. I thought it was disrespectful to the parties involved. He wore it to send a message, not exactly sure what the message is yet. All my opinion

Maybe his message is that he is a patriot. Showy but I don't see it as disrespectful. This is, after all, taking place in a US court. JMO

IMO, immigrant rights groups will come forward with money and a better legal team before this goes to trial. I've personally seen money from an English pro-life/anti-death penalty group used to bring in a dream team for a defense in a Mississippi death penalty case.

What happens, if the Feds threaten to go forward with a death penalty case to give Iowa the leverage to quickly end this with a plea deal for life without parole?
How are the Feds involved - what grounds do they have for this case? Serious question. I hadn't known that was an option in this case to make it federal.

jmo

But I'm not buying something: He says he abducted her on 385th Ave. Mollie is a smart woman. By now he's been circling and following her for a while. She would have ran back towards town, not away from it.

Maybe I missed you all talking about this.

Fortunately there is also a vehicle/trunk involved - I believe it will hold more evidence than can be found on Mollie left in the elements for so long. MOO

Yes, and forensics are amazing these days. Even if his shoes or clothes have dirt, they can match it to the cornfield. I just hope they had an excellent forensic team out there.

But I'm not buying something: He says he abducted her on 385th Ave. Mollie is a smart woman. By now he's been circling and following her for a while. She would have ran back towards town, not away from it.

Maybe I missed you all talking about this.
Maybe the circling cut off her route and forced her in that direction?? IDK.

jmo

Question - they say it's premeditated. I looked up Iowa's statute and didn't see a detailed definition of that (my understanding is that some states define that differently...or at least, that it doesn't necessarily mean planned over time). Is this charge (likely) based on his story so far, despite the huge gap and lack of info on what he actually did, or might it also include what they saw when they found her? Or other evidence. I'm asking because I would hate to see a lesser charge and I wonder what they have to do to hang onto their first degree in the face of a defense that he didn't intend her death and then got scared or had a lights out moment or whatever.

Premeditation can happen in an instance. It just means it was intentional. It doesn't have to be planned weeks in advance. If he stopped the car, got out, chased her down, attacked her, and killed her, he's doing intentional actions that result in her murder. At any point he could have stopped - not stopped the car, not got out of the car, not chased her down, not attacked her, not murdered her.

Also these are just the preliminary charges. The prosecution can add additional charges during their investigation, or instruct the jury at trial to consider lesser included charges. We will see what the evidence says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member